A Starship Called Starsong

By CrystalScherer

Computer updates are simple, right? Apparently, that's not always the case when it involves a Spaceship's AI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 18

12.3K 1.2K 182
By CrystalScherer

I examined the new communication device before inquiring, "So, if I put this back down, does that mean I can choose a job that entails less responsibility?"

I knew it wasn't a possibility after how I had beat this subject to death, but the denial had turned into mischievousness as I tried to get a rise out of the ever-practical AI. He knew it too, which didn't help my case any.

"We both know the answer to that one. The answer is no, by the way. This communication device has other enhancements that should allow it to more or less completely protect you, even off-ship."

I examined the device in surprise. I wasn't sure how this shiny platinum-colored object could possibly manage such a task. It lay in the palm of my hand and looked more like a fancy colored communication device than anything else. The indentation in the shape of a comet was Starsong's new symbol.

I slowly pinned it to my shirt. "And just how is it going to manage that? The people I am worried about aren't about to just invite me over for a tea party and talk about the weather."

"The Starships have done a lot of research and development. We now have technology that is decades or centuries beyond human advancement. The communication device is capable of creating a forceshield around you that will stop anything that most weapons can throw at you. The generator is small, so the forcefield can only shield you, but what it lacks in reach, it makes up for in strength."

"Uhh, you do remember that if a force is strong enough to push whatever is creating the forcefield, then it will also push the shield, right? If I attached the device to an apple, any force sufficient to push the apple is enough to push the forcefield generator – which is attached to the apple. It might stop small stuff, but if it is going to be attached to me, then it is going to send me for a tumble if anyone tackles it."

"With humanity's current level of technology, yes. But this is Starship technology. The forcefield will lock onto the floor, or any other support, and rely on that instead of on the device generating it. So, for your apple, you would have to push the table before you could move the forcefield – and it wouldn't affect the apple, just the forcefield. That is also making the assumption that the forcefield doesn't go further down into the floor for additional support as well. The generator does not have to remain at the center of the forcefield either, it can move around inside while the forcefield remains stationary."

My jaw dropped in shock. That was way beyond the current capability of technology. And such powerful technology was somehow hidden into this tiny device. I recalled the rather unremarkable-looking weapons and armor I had seen on the Starships.

Perhaps my initial assumption regarding the capabilities of the Starships' armor and weapons also needs a serious re-evaluation...

*        *        *

It was almost time for supper already, and I knew that everyone would show up at the same time. They always did lately, likely looking for company as well as the support of the others in the uncertainty of this situation. Even if some were trying to hide their uncertainty, all 27 were still on board and none had bailed. Yet.

Starsong had informed me that they were aware we had docked as well as that they had seen the various rovers and bots moving some supplies over. We had left most of the cargo untouched, and there was plenty of food and supplies left on the Tyndel to get any remaining crew back to the Telbert planet. Most of what had been moved over were things like plants from the agricultural area, some food, and a handful of other supplies we needed before we got to the first port.

Lovely... I can barely stand the thought of trying to face 25 people who are my seniors as I try to explain things. The other two may not have been here as long as me, but that isn't saying much. I fail to see how I am going to manage once we are at an official docking station... "Hey Starsong, if they act irrationally, am I simply relying on this forcefield thing while fleeing back to the Starship?"

"No. I set up remote access for myself on the Tyndel. I can do most of what I could before on that ship, as well as use the speakers."

That was an interesting tidbit of information. Either way, this was going to be interesting...

I entered the dining area and saw that everyone was already in one corner. They looked up as I approached. Cynthia spoke first. "There you are. We couldn't find you all day. It looks like we are docked, although we didn't see a single person out there. What happens now?"

They would have exchanged knowledge and realized that very little had been removed from the ship, so they probably weren't sure what was going to happen.

I took the last open seat at the end as I replied, "The AI was keeping me busy. All of you have two options now. You can either stay on this ship and it will take you back to the Telbert planet like a normal spaceship. Or you can join the new ship. The AI has transferred itself onto the new spaceship, a type called a Starship. The AI has also adopted the name of the new Starship, which is Starsong. You can either remain in your current positions or change to new ones, within reason."

It had been Starsong's idea to tell them that he had transferred over since the crew would immediately flock to the new ship if they thought they were escaping the AI. He didn't want them on board if they only went to the new ship for that reason.

It also wouldn't take the authorities long to come to the conclusion that the AI had transferred himself elsewhere since the Tyndel's AI would be gone. They would immediately assume the AI had moved to the Starsong – although, with the ship not acting rogue, it would give them pause.

Starsong was positive that he would be intervening several times in the next week or two, which would give away any cover-up. So he saw no point in attempting to pretend he wasn't here. He wanted others to know that the AI of a Starship wasn't a force to be messed with, although the mindlink and chip were a secret to be kept strictly between Starship and Captain.

One man immediately replied, "I am staying here. That AI almost killed us once. What is to stop it from trying again?"

The others muttered, but waited to see if I would reply. I shrugged lightly. "That was when the upgrade was first completed, and the AI was working with the incorrect data in the Captain's files. He says that he realized his mistake and restored the systems. He also says that he apologizes for that. Had he wanted us dead, we would be dead by now. The reason he kept you from leaving was because you were the only ones that he didn't object to. The final choice is yours now."

Logan tapped his fingers thoughtfully on the table while inquiring, "Why does it want crew aboard? None of the other rogue ships want anything to do with humans."

I responded, "He somehow found the original planning documents of the very first spaceships and realized that ships had always been designed for a crew. Since it was in the original plans, he wants to follow those ideals. Those same ideals could make for some slightly odd trips though, since he wants to trade, help with rescues, assist with negotiations, and all of the other stuff in the original planning models."

The others sat quietly in thought for some time. It was a huge decision for them. Stay and go back to what they had been doing – and hopefully keep their job once they made it back to port. Or join a new unknown ship that just happened to have a seemingly-bipolar AI in charge.

"I am not bipolar. I changed strategies due to a re-evaluation of the data I was using."

Cynthia broke the silence as she looked at me. "You have talked the most with the AI. What option are you choosing?"

Here we go... I took a deep breath and said, "I am going with Starsong. He wishes me to relay things to the crew since he has noticed that people are often uneasy talking with an aware AI."

The longer I could keep my true rank hidden, the better. Although I knew it would come out into the open before too long. I just didn't really want the ones staying to have too much information to play with. In my mind, I had already said way too much, but Starsong had gone over what he wanted me to share since they did need the information to make an informed decision.

Cynthia thought for a few moments longer. "Well, that is good enough for me. I am going with you. I always wanted to work on a brand new spaceship, and this is probably my only chance."

I nodded. "You don't need to decide now. Both ships will be leaving this dock in the morning, so you have until then to make up your mind as to which ship you want to be on. Staying on the docking station isn't an option since this planet isn't colonized."

There were only two ships docked at the moment, since the other Starships had already departed. They had programmed their original spaceships to return to port, and the program would also remove all navigation data as well as any data that had been recorded after the original upgrade.

Even if someone somehow traced them back here, all they would find was an abandoned manufacturing building. The Starships had wiped the manufacturing machinery clean of all software and data. Starsong had already told me about plans to build a new manufacturing factory in a remote and well-hidden location.

One lady said, "I think I need to think about this for a while."

I responded, "Certainly. It is a big decision. If you wish to join the Starsong, be on the platform ramp at 8 am. Both ships will leave the docking station at 9 am."

I was pretty sure that Starsong planned to foil my evasion of my rank at that time, which would allow any suddenly-resistant people to retreat to the Tyndel.

We all went over to the food heating tables to get something to eat. The cook had prepared our evening meal, and the food was certainly a much better quality compared to what most of us were accustomed to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228K 9.6K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...
39 1 5
It begins in the year, 640.6, 50 years after the last Great War was done between the superpower alliance of Iron Cross and ATLAS. The World is at pea...
934 21 33
A world where Scott and Stiles have female versions of them selves that they don't know exist. What happens when the duos meet up? (Mature for violen...
177K 5.6K 41
I was screaming even louder thinking I was going to die. But then I landed in somebody's arms. I reacted quickly and punched the guy in the face. He...