Celestial Heart (A Fairy Tail...

By Arctic_Sky

I'm Winter Heartfilia, twin sister to Lucy. I joined Fairy Tail, same as her, and made friends with the same... More

Introductions
Chapter 1: Run-In with a Salamander
Chapter 2: Do Fairies Have Tails....? (The Eternal Question)
Chapter 3: How To Almost Die On A Mission
Chapter 4: Not-So-Solo Mission
Chapter 5: Treasure Hunt
Chapter 6: Sleeping Giants
Chapter 7: Let's NOT Do That Again
Chapter 8: A Battle for the (M)Ages
Chapter 9: Gray Skies
Chapter 10: I am Officially a Fangirl (Kill Me)
Chapter 11: Lorenzo the Liar?
Chapter 12: I've Got Time to Kill
Chapter 13: That Little Voice in Your Head Isn't Friendly
Chapter 14: Candor's Candor (Pun Totally Intended)
Chapter 15: A Cliche Heroine is Always a Nice Touch at Times Like This
Chapter 16: Fairy Tail Accepts Criminals
Chapter 17: Team Zodiac
Chapter 18: I'm Not Fast Enough to Outrun the Past
Chapter 19: C'est la Vie
Chapter 20: Past, Past, Go Away, How About Dying in a Hole Today?
Chapter 21: Nothing Special
Chapter 22: Subterfuge
Chapter 24: Stupidity is an Incurable Disease
Chapter 25: For You, the Faithful Idiots
Chapter 26: In the Hopes of Closure...
Chapter 27: Unraveling Secrets
Chapter 28: A Certain Selfish Jackass
Chapter 29: The Follies of Stardust
Chapter 30: Heart to Heart
Epilogue: The Princess to Your Knight

Chapter 23: Vanished Sunlight

3.8K 174 18
By Arctic_Sky

Candor's POV

This was going rather depressingly, if I'm to be truthful

Staying true to her name, Juvia was incapable of being struck by a physical blow, her body dissolving into water the moment the projectile (Gray's Ice Lances) pierced her would-be flesh. Which left us completely at square one.

I leaped backwards, narrowly dodging the scythe of water that had been aimed at my chest, ready to slice me into unproductive ribbons. I skidded back, losing my balance, forced to drop to a knee, fingers dragging through the ground I stood on to halt my sliding. 

This Juvia was quite the formidable opponent; even I had to concede that.

Gray wasn't faring much better. His Ice-Make magic was rendered useless by Juvia's liquified body, and that wound of his was looking worse with every glance I spared it. 

We'd learned that catching her by surprise wasn't a valid way of fighting, as when I lunged at her from behind, the magical knife flashing in my hand, I sailed clean through her, though she grabbed me by the collar at the last second and tossed me in the direction of another of her Water Locks; I would have been captured without Gray's intervention.

And I could not have been more furious with the fact.

If only I could have a clear shot at her neck... She was dressed so mundanely, without a hint of provocative intentions, that the only exposed skin I'd witnessed on her was her neck and face, but, with my magic, I preferred to leave my mark on the neck. Less questions if it was found there, than say, the forehead. That would take a considerable amount of energy, to explain why one obtained a tattoo in such a visible place.

Though I suppose that didn't really matter, given the situation. In any case, I needed an opening.

"Candor, move!" I was shoved roughly to the side, only to feel the sting of a liquid whip slit a diagonal slash across my cheek as I fought to regain my balance and keep off the ground (I was dirty enough as it was). The whip retracted, coiling up again around Juvia's clenched fist. I watched it a moment, making sure I was in no immediate danger, before giving Gray - who stood opposite me, his breathing harsh, face steamy despite the unstoppable force of rain pounding down on us - a curt nod of thanks.

I was losing focus. Black spots danced at the corners of my vision, drawing my attention away from the matter at hand. The world blurred, righted itself, tilted at an impossible angle.

This fight had to end soon, before I slipped back into the dreadful waters of unconsciousness.

I gathered the knife again, my white-knuckled grip lending an unhealthy dose of shivering to the short blade. The world tinged with shadows as I darted to the side, moving out of the way of another Water Slicer. Something tore, a sound lost to the deafening rain around us; I assumed she'd caught the tail of my jacket. Unfortunately, I'd grown rather attached to this jacket.

Just another reason to drown her in own watery oblivion.

"You're making Juvia have multiple heart attacks!" the water woman shouted as she just barely scraped her whip over Gray's chest. "Surrender, please, Gray-sama, before Juvia is forced to seriously injure you!"

"Who the hell you callin' Gray-sama?!" He threw his hands forwards, summoning another of his Ice Lances, another wasted bit of magic that caused Juvia no real harm, apart from her cracking heart, as she kept reminding us. "Any ideas yet, kid?" he added, catching my eye as we passed on another , dodging two separate Slicers that had a grand time trying to decapitate us both.

I shot him a pointed look, and he groaned, understanding. If I'd had anything up my sleeve, this fight would have been finished ages ago. 

But then, it dawned on me. A rough, risky idea that would no doubt cause me to lose my already shaky standing among the guild, but necessary if we wished to leave this battle as soon as possible. "Gray," I called, already gathering speed, flipping my knife into existence as I moved, "I assure you what I'm about to do is not out of animosity, but necessity. Summon an Ice Lance and launch it.... now!"

He obeyed without hesitation, forming the crystal weapon that jetted at Juvia at high speeds, an action to which she did nothing. Confident in her skills and powers. How foolish of her.

Time slowed down, became as tangible as the rain shattering across my cheeks, dripping languidly from my slick skin. I moved through space as I might through a tub of gelatin. Everything came into sharp focus; the individual drops of melancholic rain, frozen in their own time frame; the low-hanging clouds that littered the sky above us; Gray's stupefied expression as I plunged my knife through his side - a neat laceration, not to shallow, not to deep, that further irritated his already gushing battle scar he'd taken care to ignore up until this point.

He choked, letting loose a gut-wrenching sound akin to one losing the contents of their stomach after a fit of nausea, and he collapsed, hands flying to the his side, pressing hard as they could, trying to staunch the rapidly increasing blood flow. His eyes widened in what I could only recognize as betrayal; I looked away from it.

I'd gotten just what I wanted: A hysterical caterwaul from Juvia as she proclaimed me to be the archenemy of her precious Gray-sama. I took advantage of it - still slipping through time at a snail's loathsome pace - and made a miraculous leap onto the still-soaring Ice Lance. Just as before, the Lance slipped through her, but I was ready.

Just as my foot began to tread through the murky waters of her abdomen, I gathered my sliver of remaining magical energy into my fingertips and struck out at Juvia's unprotected neck - just the barest touch of skin against melting skin was enough.

Juvia froze, her face articulately blank, her cries silenced.

I allowed the Ice Lance to slither from beneath my feet and dropped lithely to the ground, my chest heaving, head throbbing, vision all but thawed into a inky blackness that ripped the strength from my knees and stole the breath from my dying lungs.

Juvia didn't move.

"Gray," I hissed, wrenching around to see him, "Gray, you need to encase her in ice. Her hysteria is pushing me to my limits of control; she'll break free in seconds and continue on her rampage."

"Che." His lips fell into a heavy scowl. "So that was your damned plan... What the hell was I? Bait?"

"The trap itself, it a more acurate description," I corrected him. "Now if you please... We can discuss the terms of my punishment at a later date."

"Punishment?" Gray struggled to his knees, heaved himself to his feet. He took a few wobbling steps, then - having realized he could walk upright for a bit longer - shuffled over to where I crouched. He positioned a hand, palm facing Juvia, just in front of her, icy crystals glittering around his fingers, frosting nearby raindrops into perfectly round spheres of ice that drip, drip dropped to the ground and shattered. 

He flashed me a cheeky smirk. "Hell of a plan, kid. Be happy it worked." And with that, he used his free hand to smack the back of my heard, pitching me into the ground, and formed an icry prison around Juvia, just as my spell lost its hold and the mark disappeared from her throat.

"Gray-sama?" Bewildered, her hooded eyes darted around, latching onto me, then onto the blood still trickling from Gray's wound. She made a move to attack - preferrably me - but stiffened as she realized movement was impossible for her at the moment. Her stare returned to Gray. "Gray-sama!" she practically wailed. "If only you'd just given up Lucy Heartfilia, then you wouldn't have been injured so terribly!"

"Shut up," he muttered, rubbing absently at his tainted bandages. "Fairy Tail would never give up one of its members that easily. I'll protect Lucy to the death if I have to."

Heat crept into Juvia's cheeks, and from the fragmented look of her eyes, I guessed she was repeating to herself just what Gray had promised.

One willing to protect another until death parted them.... It did have the ring of a love confession. But only a disillusioned moron would take it that way.

"So it's true then?" I asked; Gray's brow rose in response, prompting me to elaborate. "Only Lucy was targeted during this raid? Not Winter?"

"No." I was difficult to miss the balling of his fists, the way his expression hardened into something akin to steel. "Not Winter," he agreed. "But I'll sure as hell protect her, too, because I'm sure she'll do something reckless to help out her sister."

"I'm willing to bet she's already done it."

He closed his eyes, drew in a deep breath, released it after a hesitant moment. His wounds. Perhaps I'd gone overboard? But there was nothing else I could do, seeing as how Gray's own magic was worthless in this fight and I hadn't been able to approach her without fearing for my life. 

"JUVIA HAS TWO LOVE RIVALS?!"

I flinched, surprised by the water woman's abrupt change in temperament. Her hysteria was returning, bringing with it a wave of blistering heat that threaded its way through her liquid body, beginning to melt the ice holding her still. Growling a curse to myself, I unsteadily rose to my feet and pressed the heel of my hand to her feverish forehead, forcing my way into her mind for a sliver of a second - enough to overpower her (she was rather uncooridanted when infused with this much rage) and leave her limp and lifeless in her cocoon of ice.

The rain stopped.

Gray glanced skywards, shading his eyes against the sudden glare of the sun peeking out from between dissipating clouds. "Now that's what I call a view," he murmured, a slight smile touching his lips.

And - though I caught only the barest of glimpses - I was certain a very similar smile tugged at Juvia's unresponsive mouth, even while unconscious. 

What devotion she had for this mage.

I tore my gaze away from her at the sound of dozens of gasps filling the air simultaneously, forming one expressive exhale. I nearly let my own slip into the fold before I caught myself.

The seal had been broken, disentegrated. The giant's hand hovered, motionless, high above the euphoric Fairies cheering to their hearts' content.

"Looks like that dumbass and Elfman finished up their fights, too," Gray grunted.

"So it would seem..."

But what was this uneasy feeling plaguing my stomach, tying unwelcome knots among my vital organs? Abyss Break was stopped; Jupiter hadn't fired successfully. Celebrations were in order.

So why, pray tell, was I only thinking of how effortlessly Winter found herself in trouble?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64K 1.4K 11
Erza and Lucy were both slaves at the Tower of Heaven as children. As time went on they became close friends, but got separated after they hatched an...
17.6K 519 19
Amelia Heartfilia, the older sister of Lucy. They both ran away from home, joined Fairy Tail. But there's more to Amelia than she even knows herself...
51K 1.6K 23
Hello! This is my first Fairy Tail story. If I'd have to be honest, I'm very excited for this new story. I hope you'll like it. Here's a mini summary...
210K 5.9K 30
❝ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ⁿᵒʷ ᵒⁿ, ⁱⁿ ᵐʸ ʷᵒʳˡᵈ, ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ⁱˢ ᵒⁿˡʸ ʸᵒᵘ. ❞ ↪️Lasya never cared about anything other than her sister. Because of her protectiveness, she will k...