Unknown | ✔ | First Version

By Young_Queen1246

Perhaps things would have turned out differently. Maybe I could have avoided what was to come. Maybe it's a g... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXIX
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Epilogue

Chapter IX

31 6 13
By Young_Queen1246

Song: X Ambassadors- Unsteady

Chapter 9

A m a n d a

"Amanda?" 

My eyes fly to the door in front of me, and memories from last night resurface at this sound of his voice. Causing the wave of panic that I had seconds ago upon waking up vanish. However, automatically my thoughts go to Luke. Is he still here? The wooden door slowly opens, and Derek steps inside with sweats riding low on his hips and a loose white shirt, and even in that loose shirt, I can still make out his hard muscles. 

"Hey, sorry, did I wake you?" 

I shake my head. "No, I was just about to get up." I let the comforter fall and run a hand through my tangled hair. Trying to tame it a bit. I must look rough. I only remember changing and brushing my teeth last night, not bothering much of the makeup I had on; hopefully, I don't break out later. 

"Nice room, by the way." I gesture to the dark blue walls and the black furniture surrounding the area. He too glances around and nods. "Thanks. Haven't changed it since I came back."

His grey eyes meet mine again, and I'm so thankful for putting on my contacts the second I woke up.

"Anyways, I made breakfast." He states, still standing by the door. 

Just as I'm about to leave the comfort of the bed, I remember him, and I can't help but ask. "Is Luke awake?" 

As if sensing my unease, he slowly walks over to me and gets a hold of my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. 

"No, he's still sleeping, but Alexander is. Come on, the foods going to get cold and judging by how Alex was stuffing his face the second I placed a plate in front of him. I can't guaranty there will be any left."

I let out a laugh, which brings a smile on Derek's lips. I'm sure Alex will.

"Wait-" he states back at me "-I'm sorry about last night."

He shakes his head. "It wasn't your fault. You intervened, which could have gotten you hurt by the way." I can hear the slight worry and anger in his tone, which causes me to narrow my brows.

"Would you have hit him if I didn't intervene?" He seems to think for a moment but finally lets out a sigh. "No. I wouldn't. I wouldn't do that to your friend, even if he did initiate the whole thing."

 My shoulders relax, and I give him a grateful smile. "Well, thanks."

We head downstairs, and sure enough, Alexander is already at the table stuffing his face with food.

"Morning, don't worry I managed to save you-" When he spots us, his eyes go wide, which are looking at me from head to toe until settling between Derek and me. "-some." I glance at where his eyes land and pull from Derek's hand. I guess that made sense. I quickly make my way to a chair facing Alexander, who is still gawking at me- spoon mid-air. "Did I miss something?" From the corner of my eyes, I notice Derek still rooted where I left him, but he quickly shakes his head and begins to serve me breakfast.

"So... I did miss-"

"No, Alex. Nothing happened," I whisper, giving him a look to which he only nods. "Right..."

"Just continue eating," I say as a plate of food is placed in front of me. 

"Thanks, also do you have a phone I could use?"

.....

As soon she arrives, I rush into her car and place my head in my hands. I don't bother to look up as I feel her exit his driveway and onto the street, yet I can picture him watching the car driving away.  

"I'm sorry I left you last night. I knew I shouldn't have drunk. I woke up this morning and realized you weren't there. I thought we left you back at the party until Sarah had told me that Derek called last night and said you were staying at his house with the guys. Damn, I got so fucking worried and then with shit going on. I can't even remember why we left in a rush-" 

I quickly place a hand on her shoulder. "Brenda, it's okay. I'm fine." 

"I know but what if you had another dream or you-"

"I'm fine," I repeat louder this time to which she turns to look at me before glancing back at the road. 

"I didn't have a dream or anything. I'm okay, and it's not your fault. None of us knew this would happen."

She lets out a sigh. "What happened anyway?"

It's my turn to let out a breath. "Luke got angry or something when he saw me with Derek dancing, and things went downhill after that."

Her amber eyes go wide. "I guess that explains why we left. But why?" I shrug.

"Do you think....do you think he likes you?" 

For some reason, the thought of Luke liking me makes me anxious. "No, I don't think so. I hope not."

Brenda thinks for a moment. "Well, he is a bit protective of you it appears."

"I don't know, but that's not the only thing that happened."

"What else- other than Derek and Luke about to beat the shit out of each other- happened?"

"Luke called me by my name."

She looks confused and glances at me. "Wait, he called you Amanda? How is that bad?"

I shake my head. "He called me by my real name. He called me Linda."

****❣️****

Brenda has tried reassuring me that Luke was drunk. That he didn't know what he was doing or saying for the matter, yet when someones intoxicated, they mostly speak the truth, right? At least that's what I've been told. However, I can also tell she's on edge, wondering about what the next move will be. 

One thing I do know for sure; is that so far he's doesn't remember much, but I'm pretty sure he's beginning to wonder why I've been keeping my distance. It's not like I've seen him anyways due to the hungover he hasn't fully cured, which is causing him to miss school, but me constantly denying his invitations must click something for him. 

The group, however, has started questioning what happened that night, most likely noticing my unease whenever they mentioned that Luke was coming back Tuesday. So Sarah and I decided to fill them in, which left them glancing between Derek and me. Who was no doubt is glancing our way.

-----

"He's back, you know." I nod. 

"Yeah, I'm aware."

Brenda glances around and leans in, "Maybe you should hear him out?"

"I don't think he remembers. It's best that way. Besides, you told me that if anything close to this happened to keep quiet and not look into it more- meaning anything that could trigger more suspensions."

She sighs. "That's not what I meant, and this is different, this is our friend. Who by the way, has been noticing that something is off."

"He called last night, didn't he?"

She nods.

"I'll figure it out." She gives me a look. "I'll talk to him. It's not like I can hide from him forever."

--

When it's time for lunch, I make my way to the cafeteria, head down, and peck over at the table where sure enough, Luke is already seated. Laughing at whatever Alexander is saying. The girls aren't there yet, and all that Brenda has told me this morning leaves my head. 

I turn to leave before either of them notice me and head to my locker. Come on, Linda, your blowing this out of proportion. I slowly open the locker and look into the interior. I see homework I haven't turned in and a mess of notes I take but never study. Might as well clean it, but I make no move. 

I guess I'm just worried about what he's going to say how he's going to react. At least one thing hasn't changed about me. I still worry and overthink about the outcomes and the future.

Just as I'm about to close my locker and leave, I feel a presence behind me. Okay, you got this Linda.

I turn, expecting to come to face to face with Luke, yet only to find him staring down at me. "Derek?" I look at him confused "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check on you. You've been acting strange lately."

"You don't have to. Besides, I'm fine." He doesn't buy it.

"What's wrong? Is it about what happened Saturday?"

I don't respond, and he doesn't seem to mind as we stay silent, but he does something that to me specks and comforts me more than words. He hugs me, his arms wrapping and pulling me close to his chest. I tense at first, but instantly relax as I hear his heartbeat, which is beating a little to fast. The smell of his cologne also hits, and his warmth has me closing my eyes as he rests his chin on top of my head. All while one of his hand caresses my hair, running his fingers through it. 

"Thank you," I mutter "I guess I needed that,"  I slightly pull away and stare up at him. He smiles and nods, and only then do I notice the space between us and how it seems to shrink with each second that passes by. My heart begins to beat a little faster, and my hands unknowingly tighten on his shirt. Yet I know he won't do it, and I'm right because not a second later, his lips make contact with my forehead.

"I should get going. My friends are probably looking for me." I slowly drop my hands.

"Yeah, maybe you should." Before I can pull away, I notice a figure from the corner of my eyes. Causing me to step aside.

"What is it?" Derek asks, looking at me and to where I'm staring.

"I thought I saw someone watching us for some reason." 

I fully step away and walk to where I saw the figure but nothing just an empty hall.

"Anything?" 

I shake my head. "No, I guess it was nothing?" I let out a breath. 

"Let's head back then."

---
I finally make my way inside the cafeteria, Derek already inside, and go over to our table taking a seat- everyone already watching me. I see Luke staring at me, and I give him a small smile.

"Amanda, can I talk to you?" I can hear the urgency and insecurity in his voice, causing me to immediately feel bad.

I nod. "Yeah, I'll meet you after school," I say.

The group visible relaxes a little, but I don't. Brenda glances at me and nods, giving me an encouraging smile.

Can't hide from him forever.

Don't forget to comment and vote ;) 

A/N: By the way, the songs on some chapters will not always be based on that particular chapter. They are just like a playlist for this book. However, there will be some songs that go with a chapter, but I will let you know which ones. 

Once again, Thank you for reading and giving this book a try

- Booknerd 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 1.2K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
825 75 38
Growing up, young Damien had only himself to blame for the tragedy that tore his whole family apart ... Years later Damien finds himself in a place w...
84.1K 4K 42
"Why the secret?" "Secret? More like secrets. And why do you care anyway?" "Because secrets are like lies, and I always find the truth..." ••••• Elna...
430K 13.7K 69
"Never, under any circumstances, tell anyone the truth." That was the number one rule. After changing their identities and starting new lives, Lydia...