TWENTY-EIGHT AND A HALF WISHE...

By DeniseGroverSwank

The first book of the USA Today Bestselling series! "Though much of the book is light-hearted and occasional... More

COPYRIGHT AND DEDICATION
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
BOOKS BY DENISE GROVER SWANK

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

70.2K 2K 248
By DeniseGroverSwank

Chapter Twenty-Three

I made myself get a grip. I couldn't show up to meet Daniel with a red nose and bloodshot, puffy eyes. Plus, I suspected sex was a way to communicate with Daniel Crocker and I was desperate enough to pull that out of my limited arsenal and use it to save Violet. Nevertheless, I had to look the part to play it.

Clothing proved an issue. If Daniel hadn’t seen me in the red dress, and I if hadn’t got snot and tears all over the front, I would have worn it. Instead I found a pair of jeans and a silky sleeveless shirt and wore my black bra, which peeked out over the top of the low-cut shirt. I decided this would work better in The Trading Post, which was a bar with a rough reputation just outside the city limits.

Torn between heels and sensible shoes, I chose heels. I had little chance of outrunning anyone, but perhaps looking sexy could help me. Heavens knew I needed all the help I could get.

I opened the flash drive package with shaky fingers and tucked it in my jeans pocket. I was fairly certain they were going to check it and I hadn’t figured out how to explain why it was empty.

I gave myself on last look in the mirror, surprised by the image. Maybe I could pull this off.

I went out into the kitchen to call a cab. I’d take a taxi to my car, which was still parked at the funeral home, but it required extra time. While I waited for it to show up, I went outside to look for Muffy, walking up and down the sidewalk and calling her name. I worried Joe would hear me and come out but, he didn’t, even though I saw him watching out his living room window. I checked the time on my cell phone—nine thirty-five. I still had time but my nervousness threatened to swallow me whole. I locked the door and waited for the taxi in the driveway, pacing.

Five minutes later, Joe came outside, easing his way over to me as though I was a wild animal and might bolt if he got too close. “Rose?”

“Leave me alone,” I growled, looking down the street with my side to him.

“Do you need a ride to your car?”

“I called a taxi.”

We waited a few more minutes. I was so anxious I thought I would puke.

“Don’t go, Rose.” His voice was so quiet I could barely hear him.

I turned to face him and shook my head. “Do you have any idea what you are asking?”

“Do you know what’s going to happen if you go with an empty flash drive?”

“What do you care, Joe? Leave me alone!” I started down the sidewalk. Wearing heels wasn’t such a good idea if I had to walk two miles.

Joe jogged up to me. “Let me drive you.”

“Drive me where?”

“To your car.”

I stopped and glared at him. “Why are you doin’ this?”

“Rose, I care about you.”

That made me livid. “Don’t. You. Dare.” I spit out through gritted teeth. I started walking again.

“Okay, I feel guilty. I’m trying to make it up to you.”

I stopped. That sounded like a more honest answer and my cab still hadn’t shown up. Being late wouldn’t work in my favor. “All right.” I turned around and walked to Joe’s car and got in.

We drove in silence for a couple of blocks.

“Do you have a plan?”

I remained silent.

“Rose, do you know what these people are capable of?”

“I have a pretty good idea, Joe, which is exactly why I’m going.”

Joe stopped at a stop sign. “I can’t let you do this.”

“You don’t have a say. Now drive.”

He drove several more blocks. “You at least need a plan. Tell me you have a plan.”

“I have a somewhat plan.”

“Does your plan have anything to do with the way you’re dressed?” When I didn’t answer, he continued. “That won’t work with him, Rose. He’s been put in a very awkward situation by trusting his source and paying already. His partners are breathing down his neck for this information. If you don’t have it, nothing will save you.”

“I already know I’m gonna die. I’m doing this to save Violet.”

He stopped next to my car thankfully still parked in the deserted funeral home parking lot. He shut off the engine and turned to me. “Rose, I’m begging you.”

“You have no right to beg me for anything, Joe McAllister. You lost that right the moment you betrayed me. When was that exactly? The night you met me?”

“Rose,” he moaned.

“Fine, so you’re worried about me?” I said in a sneer. “Come with me, be my bodyguard.”

“I can’t.” He hung his head.

“Yeah, that’s what I thought.” I started to get out of the car.

Joe pulled me back and grabbed my shoulders. “I’m about to do something that could get me killed, but I can’t sit here and let it happen to you first.”

“Let go of me!” I tried to jerk away.

“Rose! I’m trying to save you! Shelf your pride for a minute and listen to me!”

I was willing to listen if he was going to help save my life.

“As much as I hate to admit it, you were smart to dress like this. Crocker likes good-looking women. He’ll be more lenient with you because of your looks, which is probably why you’re still alive. But if he finds out you haven’t brought what he wants, he’ll kill you.”

I tried to remain calm in spite of facing my certain death. “Will he know tonight?” I whispered.

He looked out the front window. “Yes.”

I let that soak in. “Will I at least be able to save Violet?”

“I don’t know.”

I gasped. I had to save Violet.

Joe turned back to me. “So will you change your mind?”

“Not if there’s even a slight chance I can save her.” I reached for the handle on the door.

“Wait!” Joe sounded desperate.

“What?”

“Give me your flash drive.” I didn’t move so he grabbed my purse and started digging through it.

“What are you doing? Give that back!” I tried to pull it away from him.

He looked panicked. “Where is it?”

I dug it out of my pocket, unsure I should give it to him. He pulled a flash drive out of his pocket and handed it to me.

“Is this the real one? You had it all the time?” I asked.

“No! It’s fake. It’ll save you tonight, but not past tomorrow. They’ll figure out it’s a forgery by noon.”

“Why are you doin’ this?” I wasn’t sure I could trust him, but whatever he had on his flash drive had to be better than my empty one.

“You want the truth or the version you prefer?”

“Neither.” I turned to the door.

“Wait!”

This was getting old. “I’m gonna be late.”

He looked uncomfortable. “Try not to let him get you into bed.”

Excuse me?” I hadn’t expected that.

“He’s gonna try, which is why you’re still alive, but avoid it if you can. You’re gonna have to use your head. Rumor has it he’s rough in the bedroom. Just be careful.”

While I was grateful for that bit of information, it scared the bejiggers out of me. “Thanks,” I whispered.

“Rose.” His voice broke. “Be careful.”

I didn’t say anything. I knew I should be grateful, but I was still mad. I got out of the car and walked over to mine. Joe stayed in the parking lot while I pulled away.

The Trading Post was on Highway 82 just outside of town. Henryetta being so small, it didn't take long to pull into the pea gravel parking lot, already half-full of pickup trucks and motorcycles. My stomach tied itself up in knots as I got out of the car. It was one minute after ten. One minute late.

I took a deep breath as I went in and let my eyes adjust to the dim, smoky haze. Daniel sat across the room, at a table with two other men.

Show time.

I walked over to his table, but I tried to saunter, like I’d seen models do on television. I had no idea if I pulled it off or looked like a fool. In either case, Daniel Crocker looked like he appreciated what he saw.

I realized I might get out of the dying part, but I highly doubted I’d get out of the sleeping-with-him part. I hoped I could go through with it.

Daniel leaned his arms on the backs of the chairs next to him and looked me up and down. “Well, there you are, baby. I was just talkin’ about ya.”

“Oh?” I sat down in the empty chair across from him and tried to look interested. I’d prefer to dump the flash drive in his lap and turn around and leave, but the person with the real flash drive had stood him up for a while. Common sense told me I was gonna have to work my way out of being punished.

“Let me get you a drink. I believe you drank wine when I saw you with Sloan.”

I ignored the Sloan comment. “Wine would be great, thanks.”

Daniel motioned to a guy next to him with a quick wave of his hand. “White.” The guy walked over to the bar. “I was worried you weren’t goin’ to show, baby. You have no idea how happy I am to see you.”

“I disappointed you long enough.” I smiled and lifted my eyebrows. I wasn’t sure how it actually looked, sexy or stupid, but he still looked interested. I felt like I was walking a tightrope without a net.

The guy returned with a glass of white wine. It creeped me out that Daniel remembered what I had that night. I took a sip and smiled my approval.

My hand rested on the table. Daniel stretched his hand over and covered mine. It felt clammy and oppressive. I resisted the urge to snatch mine away.

“They say business before pleasure, Rose. Seems particularly apropos tonight.”

I stood up, carefully pulling my hand out from under his so I didn’t offend him. I reached into my pocket, arching my back and thrusting out my chest. I needed to worry about the surviving tonight and not the fact I was digging myself into a hole of sleeping with him. His eyes told me he appreciated the view. I put the flash drive on the table slowly slid it toward him.

He picked it up and handed it to the guy who brought my wine. He waved to the other man, who got up and left. Daniel patted the chair next to him. “I’m feeling mighty lonely all by myself. Come sit with me.”

I moved to the chair, trying not to stiffen when he draped his arm around my shoulders and sniffed my neck.

Oh, Lord, I don’t think I can go through with this.

“You smell so good, baby. I can’t wait to get a taste.” He leaned over and kissed me, a wet sloppy mess that tasted like beer and onions. Daniel Crocker had a love of onions. I tried to show him a little enthusiasm, but he noticed the lack of effort on my part.

“Nervous, baby? You got something to be nervous about? I know you’re good in bed. McAllister says so anyway.”

I couldn’t stop my show of surprise.

His hand moved to my leg, skimming the inside of my thigh. “Don’t be hurt. I had McAllister keep an eye on you, once I knew it was you. I didn’t expect him to watch you so closely though.” His hand moved farther up my thigh. “Although he did provide exceptional information.” He pinched the inside of my leg. Even through my jeans it was hard enough to bring tears to my eyes. “But you’re mine now.”

I grabbed my glass of wine and took a good-sized gulp.

The man came and whispered in Crocker’s ear. Daniel grinned. “Bring over some tequila shots to celebrate.” He turned to me, beaming. “You have no idea how happy I am that you didn’t disappoint me.”

The man brought six shot glasses, a bowl full of lime wedges, and a shaker full of salt.

“You ever done tequila shots, Rose?” Daniel asked, lining up the shot glasses, three in front of him and three in front of me. They were much smaller than a glass of wine or beer, but I knew they were much more potent.

“No,” I said, scared. If a couple of bottles of beer made me jump Joe, what would a glass of wine and three tequila shots have me do with Daniel? Then again, if I was gonna have to do it, I might as well have a little help.

His eyes lit up, but with a scary excitement, not the excitement I saw on Joe’s face. “Let me teach you,” he said in a leer. “But first finish your wine.”

I gulped my wine down. I was going be incapable of driving. How would I get home?

He laughed when I set down the empty glass. “You are gonna be fun. Okay, time for your lesson. I’m gonna demonstrate and then you try it, Okay?”

I nodded, my head getting fuzzy.

He picked up my left hand, and licked the back of it, I couldn’t help the automatic response to jerk away. But he must have been prepared, because he held on tight and laughed. He picked up the salt shaker and poured salt onto my hand. Licking it off, he rolled his eyes an evil smile widening on his face. Still holding onto my hand, he picked up a shot glass with his other hand and downed it in a second. He slammed it on the table and picked up a lime wedge and sucked on it.

He narrowed his eyes, in what I suspected he meant to be a come-hither look. I just wanted to run. “I knew you’d taste good.” He gave the back of my hand another lick. “You’re turn.”

I would have been nervous trying shots anyway, but doing this with Daniel Crocker released a slow trickle of terror that pooled and rose, threatening to swallow all reason. Daniel still had my hand and stuck his in front of my face. I closed my eyes and licked it.

“Now salt,” he insisted with a growl.

I shook the salt shaker on the back of his hand and licked. He actually moaned.

“Now the shot.” He held the glass up to my mouth and pushed my head back, dumping it in. Unprepared, I gagged. Daniel held a lime wedge up to my mouth. “Suck on it, baby.”

It took everything in me not to vomit there at the table. By the time I got through the remaining two shots, the room was definitely spinning. Between not being used to the alcohol, my vertigo, and fear, I knew I would lose my stomach contents soon. I grabbed my purse and stood, nearly falling over with the sudden movement.

“I’ve gotta throw up.” Apparently tequila worked like beer on my internal censor.

Daniel burst out laughing. “The restroom’s back that way.” He waved toward the hall. “Don’t keep me waiting, baby.” I wobbled in that direction as I heard Daniel ordering more shots. I was going to die of alcohol poisoning.

I made it down the hall, to the bathroom and barely made it to the toilet before I threw up. I didn’t know how I was going to go out there and drink more. I leaned over the sink and rinsed my mouth out with water. When I raised up, I saw Joe’s reflection in the mirror behind me. Before I could scream, Joe covered my mouth with his hand.

“Shhh.”

I tried to ask him a question but his hand muffled my words. He removed his hand. “What are you doin’ here?” I whispered loudly.

“Shh,” he said, “You’re a funny drunk at home, but right now I need you to focus.”

“You said to use my head, and I’m trying but it ain’t so easy. He wants me to go back out there and do it again.”

“Do what again?”

“Tequila shots.”

“How much have you had to drink?”

“A glass of wine and three shots.”

“Shit, why are you drinkin’ so much?”

“He’s makin’ me do it.” I felt myself weaving and bobbing around.

Joe grabbed his head in his hands, like his head hurt and he was trying to squeeze the pain out. “Okay,” he finally said.

I concentrated on watching him, so his words startled me and I jumped. ”Okay, go back?” I started for the door, feeling even fuzzier than when I came in. I turned to Joe and waved a finger at him. “Oh yeah, he ain’t followin’ the rules.”

“What rules?”

“The rules of drinkin’.”

“Yeah, Crocker isn’t one to follow rules. I’m trying to figure out how to get you out of here.”

“Can I go home now?”

“No, not yet. I hate to do this to you, but I need you to go back out there. You’ve been here too long. He’s gonna come looking for you and we need more of a head start. Go back out, do one or two more shots and say you have to throw up again, and I’ll be waiting for you here. But leave your purse at the table and don't slip up and use my name. It's a secret, okay?”

I nodded.

“Okay, do what I say and I’m gonna get you out of this.” Then he shoved me out the door. I grabbed hold of the wall to hold myself up.

Daniel was excited to see me appear and didn’t waste any time getting to the shots.

We did the first round, with some sloppy kissing after. I wondered if anyone had told him that his technique needed some work. I considered telling him he should take some lessons from Joe, but remembered I wasn’t supposed to say Joe’s name.

As I started licking the salt off his hand, I felt a vision coming. I saw Joe, in what looked like a mechanic’s garage, carrying a package. I heard Daniel’s voice say, “Where is she, McAllister?”

When it finished and I was about to say “You’re looking for me,” Daniel stuck a wedge of lime in my mouth. I had no problem excusing myself from the table this time, and I honestly forgot my purse, barely making it to the toilet. Joe waited for me, hiding in a stall.

“How many did you have this time?” He asked as I rinsed out my mouth again.

“Two.”

“We’re gonna have to hurry, we don’t have much time.” He walked over to a window and opened it.

“I get to climb out a window again?” I asked in a whisper. “That’d the second time in…” I tried to think how long ago it was. “Only a few days.”

Joe looked outside the window and then climbed out, one leg at a time. He made it look so easy.

“When did you climb out a window?” He pulled me closer and lifted one of my legs through.

“The night after you hid the gun in my shed.”

He pushed my head down and out and pulled the other leg through. We stood outside next to a motorcycle and I remembered. Joe hid the gun in my shed. He strapped a helmet to my head.

“How can I trust you?” I asked, searching his face for something to convince me.

He put on the other helmet. “Rose, you either trust me or Crocker, which one do you pick?”

It didn’t seem like a none-of-the-above moment. “You.”

“Good girl.” Joe climbed onto the bike and pulled my arm. “Now climb on behind me.”

I did with a bit of difficulty.

“Shit, I hadn’t planned on you being so drunk. Hold on really tight, okay? Don’t let go.”

Before I had a chance to answer, Joe started the motorcycle and tore out of the parking lot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7M 162K 76
Nobody ever loved him; she was the first who loved him. He did not have a family and then one day she entered into his life and became a world for h...
67.9K 2.4K 48
Alex Harper loves Dylan West ever since she can remember. Too bad he never noticed her. Not even with the countless dinners at each other's houses an...
834K 30.9K 49
Love? No thanks. Cassidy Jordan won't open her heart to anyone after a devastating romance caused her death the first time she turned eighteen. As a...
335K 15.5K 26
To Piper Baker, love is a hoax simply created to brainwash us all into believing life isn't as bad as it seems. She knows better though. Piper knows...