A Song For You

By UnsinkableShips

When college student Emmy joins an online support group at the encouragement of her therapist, the last thing... More

A Song For You
Playlist
One
Two
Three
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Epilogue

Four

53.3K 3.1K 705
By UnsinkableShips

        From: Johnny.D@outlook.com
        Date: July 12th, 2018 at 1:05 a.m.
        To: EmmySantos99@gmail.com
        Subject: A TV show you should check out

        Emmy,

        Unfortunately, we have that in common. I don't date for that very reason. Stop me if I ever sound like I'm going on an ego trip, but it's hard to know who's genuine and who isn't in this industry. Loneliness is a much kinder trade-off.

        I hope you finished your assignment on time. I always procrastinated when I was in college. I'm hoping you're in college? If you're still in high school, I'll feel like a total creep. I figure the 99 in your e-mail address either means that you a) are 99 years-old (in that case, you can navigate twenty-first-century technology impressively well), b) like the number 9, or c) were born in 1999.

        You're not being intrusive. You have never been, Emmy. I was just being paranoid. If you have any questions, ask away. I'll do my best to answer them.

        As far as TV shows go, I just finished watching season two of Designated Survivor on Netflix. If you're into political dramas, it's worth checking out.

        Hopefully hear from you soon,
        Johnny

        P.S. I listen to most genres of music. I'm not confined to one. What about you? In terms of the music I play, it's always rock. I'm in a rock band.

        From: EmmySantos99@gmail.com
        Date: July 12th, 2018 at 8:46 a.m.
        To: Johnny.D@outlook.com
        Subject: RE: A TV show you should check out

        Hi Johnny,

        Talk about rich, famous people's problems. Totally joking. But I can get where you're coming from. It's hard enough finding someone. I can't imagine having to pick through a crowd of fame-hungry gold-diggers as well. Pass.

        I managed to get it done, thanks for your concern (I may or may not have pulled an all-nighter). I probably won't get higher than a C for it, but I did leave it to the last minute, so I only have myself to blame. Evidently, I'm a procrastinator, too. You're funny. I'm in college, not high school, so you can talk to me with a clear conscience. And you guessed two out of three correctly. I'm nineteen and number 9 also happens to be my lucky number. Nice work.

        That's dangerous, Johnny. I've actually been compiling a list of questions (in my head, I'm not that weird, contrary to popular belief) since last night. Just random things I've wondered about you (there really isn't any way to say that without coming across as a crazy-ass, is there?). You can leave some blank. Feel free to ask me anything as well. We can get to know each other a little better this way.

        1. How old are you?
        2. Do you have any kids or pets?
        3. How many siblings do you have? Is it just you and your older sister?

        I do like political dramas. I'll add it to my To Watch list after I've sent this e-mail.

        Best wishes,
        Emmy

        P.S. Boring answer... (not the part about you being in a rock band, obviously). As we've already established, that's pretty awesome. I was kind of hoping for specific genres you like. While I also can listen to practically anything (screamo being the exception), I mainly listen to folk rock, contemporary folk, country rock, and classic rock. I'm talking 4 Non Blondes. Have you heard of them?

        From: Johnny.D@outlook.com
        Date: July 13th, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.
        To: EmmySantos99@gmail.com
        Subject: Answering your questions

        Emmy,

        That's a relief. If you were still in high school, that would've made our newfound friendship kind of inappropriate. It was an easy guess. I can't take all the credit when it's in your e-mail address.

        Stop saying that. I don't think you're a "crazy-ass."

        Good questions.

        1. I'm twenty-six. God. That probably seems ancient to a nineteen-year-old.
        2. No kids. Hopefully one day. I have a dog, though. His name's Ace and he's a German Shepherd.
        3. I have two siblings. My sister (that you already know about) is called Lucy, she just turned The Big 3-0 last month, and I have a younger brother, Max. He's two years older than you. I'm the middle child.

        All right. My turn now.

        1. Do you prefer being called Emmy, or can I call you Em?
        2. What are you studying in college?
        3. Pizza or burgers? (Think hard about this one. It's a friendship dealbreaker).

        Johnny

        P.S. My apologies. I didn't realize I was conversing with a fellow music buff. I'd say we listen to similar music. You're asking a singer/guitarist in a rock band if he's heard of 4 Non Blondes? I think everyone has heard of them. Their anthem What's Up? is iconic.

        From: EmmySantos99@gmail.com
        Date: July 14th, 2018 at 5:01 p.m.
        To: Johnny.D@outlook.com
        Subject: RE: Answering your questions

        Hi Johnny,

        I don't think there's anything inappropriate about our friendship. Technically, I still can't even drink alcohol, which makes me feel like I may as well still be in high school, but I digress. Wouldn't want you having second thoughts now.

        Okay, I will. Why thank you. I was trying to cover all the basics.

        I don't know if we're supposed to reply to each other's answers, but I'm going to.

        What are you talking about? Twenty-six is definitely not ancient. My sister's boyfriend is twenty-seven. He's like the big brother I never had. I'd like to have kids one day, too. I have a feeling you'll be having them a lot sooner than I will, though, what with you being seven years older than me. Ace sounds great. You'll have to send me a picture of him. I have a penchant for big dogs. I really wish I could have a pet, but I live in a dormitory on campus, so that (also) won't be happening anytime soon :-( I just have the one sibling—my older sister, Helena, who I've referred to multiple times as well. She's twenty-three.

        1. Sure. Practically everyone calls me Em.
        2. I'm studying a Bachelor of Studio Art. I like painting, drawing, and digital art, but my passion lies more with sculpture.
        3. This was a no-brainer. Both. Can I say both? A burger for lunch. Pizza for dinner.

        I have more questions for you. Digging a little deeper now. Hopefully that's okay.

        1. While we're on the topic, is your real name John, or is it actually Johnny? What would you prefer for me to call you?
        2. What do you like to do during your downtime?
        3. Would you rather live without the Internet or food for a day? (These are my two biggest weaknesses. Unlike how I answered your third question, you have to pick one. One, I repeat).

        Best,
        Emmy

        P.S. I suppose music buff is accurate. Hmm. We seem to have a fair bit in common, Johnny. I'm just checking that you're worthy of my friendship. Touché. What's Up? is my favorite by them. Has your band ever covered that song?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 1.6K 70
Being the new girl, officially sucks. Being the new Goth girl, wholeheartedly sucks. Being the new Goth girl, with horrific baggage, truly sucks. At...
3.9K 155 51
We all remember that first love. The one who we fell head over heels in love with who also destroyed us. When Emily meets Jay on her first day at the...
1.1M 43.7K 50
Sometimes, the one you have in your heart is not the one you have in your arms. --- "I love this book, it's perfect. I finished it in one sitting, I...
2.5M 118K 99
WATTPAD ORIGINAL EDITION Jonas, having lost his leg, and Brennan, plagued by terrible anxiety, collide one summer. Soon, they're both finding themsel...