Another side of Heartland

By orangehorse96

Caleb Odell "ranch hand " for heartland has had a rough start but he's starting to get his life back together... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
-Chapter 26-
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chaper 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
INFO
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Not an Update
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
NEWS
Chapter 75

Chapter 15

731 17 0
By orangehorse96

-Caleb-

I woke up earlier than usual and noticed Mallory fast asleep next to me. I gently got out of bed and scribbled her a note and turned her alarm off before throwing on some clothes and heading down to the barn. I quickly got all the horses fed and went out to feed Ghost. Ghost has a stall in the barn but he by far prefers to be outside, so as long as the weather is tolerable I don't bring him in.
I carried the bucket out and hung it on the fence for him and was waiting on his water to fill when I heard running feet behind me. I turned around to see Georgie right before she flung herself on me Laughing.

"Good morning to you too"

she was still laughing when I set her back on the ground and I had a smile on my face.

'I came out to help feed but everything was already eating and I saw you out here'

"yeah I woke up earlier than usual"

'what are you doing today?'

I turned around to tighten the valve to shut the water off and grab Ghosts now empty bucket as we turned to walk up to the barn.

"Well I was thinking I would clean stalls and then I'm not really sure. With the only horses here being the ones we own things aren't incredibly busy"

Georgie hastily kept up with me as I walked to the barn

'I can help!'

She volunteered brightly. I smiled and nodded as we walked through the barn doors. I grabbed the wheelbarrow and Georgie grabbed the forks and we got all the stalls cleaned in no time at all. We laughed and joked and teased each other the whole time, totally oblivious to the world until we heard someone clear their throat. We both jumped in surprise and looked outside the stall to see Lou smiling at us

"hi Lou"

we said in unison.

'I was wondering where you disappeared to Georgie'

I looked at Georgie and she had a sheepish expression on her face

'sorry Lou. I lost track of time'

Lou smiled and nodded

'it's okay. I didn't figure that you had gone far.'

Then Lou turned to look at me

'Caleb, do you have any plans this weekend?'

"Uh not really. There's a rodeo in town I was going to rope at but that's not until the evening and won't interrupt the days"

'Grandpa is driving over with Lisa to where Amy is competing this weekend, they are leaving around lunch time and Peter was going to take me and the girls over to the winter festival on Saturday, I was going to see if you could cover feeding?'

"Oh yeah no problem at all"

'okay.. I didn't tell grandpa that we were going to go because I didn't want him to change his plans.'

I smiled and nodded

"I understand and it's not a problem"

I turned to finish cleaning the stall and then I remembered

"oh Lou what about Mallory?"

Lou gave me a knowing look and raised her eyebrows

'what about Mallory? She seems just fine sleeping in the loft with you'

my face turned red and I chuckled nervously.

'Don't fret Caleb, I don't care and Grandpa doesn't know. I was up with Katie last night and I saw you guys walking back to the loft, just keep it from Grandpa and it will be just fine'

I smiled and nodded my head

"I'll be sure to do that"

I looked at Georgie and she smiled and then looked deep in thought.

"What's the matter Kiddo?"

'Nothing much. Just thinking'

I nodded and walked out with the wheelbarrow and dumped in in the manure pile.
Just as I finish hanging the pitchforks on the wall I heard a car coming down the driveway that I didn't recognize, just as I was going to head over to see who it was I saw jack walk out onto the porch so I decided to let him handle it. I walked back in the barn to see Mallory talking to Georgie, I walked over and placed a kiss on the side of her head and gave her a side hug.

'You guys are so cute! You just look like you belong together!'

Georgie said all excited and Mallory smiled and leaned into me a little.
We were just laughing a joking with each other when Peter appeared in the barn door and said

"Lou made breakfast for everyone, Come on up to the house"

Georgie ran and jumped onto Peters back laughing and Mallory and I followed hand in hand.

-Mallory-

We walked into the house and Breakfast smelt amazing, I was actually hungry and was ready to eat for me and not just because Caleb made sure I was healthy. We all made our way inside and the kitchen was really loud as Caleb and I pulled our boots off but once we walked into the room all he noise died down and the room went silent as I noticed the Dark haired boy sitting at the table. I stared at badger totally at a loss, not sure what to say or do. Finally after what felt like forever, Jack Cleared his throat and told us to all sit down for breakfast. I quickly took my seat and Caleb sat next to me filling his plate with the food that no longer seemed appealing. Caleb took my plate and put a small amount of eggs, apiece of bacon and a small spoonful of potatoes on it. I picked up my fork and picked at my food but I wasn't all that hungry anymore. I felt Caleb's hand land on my thigh and give it a squeeze, I looked over and saw him give me a small smile and nod his head towards my plate. I started to take small bites and I realized the food tasted really good, I finished the small amount on my plate and asked Caleb for another piece of Bacon. He gave me a wide smile and placed a piece of bacon on my plate and then licked his fingers as he sat back and continued playing with Katie across the table. His hand never once leaving my thigh and squeezing every now and then reassuringly. I let my free hand fall to my lap and tangled our fingers together.

"Thank you for breakfast Lou, it was really good"

'your welcome Mallory, it's late I know but I didn't figure anyone had eaten yet'

Jack cleared his throat and I looked up at him

'Mallory, Caleb, may I talk to you two outside?'

Jack asked. I looked over at Caleb as he took his hat off of his knee and placed it on his head giving my hand a squeeze before letting it go and standing up and walking towards the porch. I stood behind him and followed them out to the porch.
As soon as I stepped outside I walked into Caleb's side as the cold breeze hit me, he placed his arm around me rubbing my back. We looked at Jack expectantly.

'I know walking in there and seeing him was... unexpected'

I felt Caleb's body stiffen slightly but other than that not show much of a reaction. I only nodded.

'He's gotten himself into more trouble and he needs a place to be'

Caleb's hand stilled on my back before continuing.

'I know this is not easy for you'

Jack said looking at me

'either of you, but heartland has never turned away anyone that needs help'

"so what are you saying Jack?"

I flinched a little at the sharpness of Caleb's voice.

'I'm saying I told him he can stay here and work like he use to'

Caleb let out an exasperated sigh and I didn't know how i felt about the information, I knew Jack was right but I didn't want to admit that.

'Caleb I want you to move all of your stuff out of your trailer and into the loft, everything. That's where he will live so that we can watch him but he won't be too close.'

Caleb was stiff next to me but he nodded

'I'm sorry I'm leaving him like this but I promised Amy I would come to watch'

"we know Jack, it's okay"

I think I was as surprised by my words as Caleb was. Jack nodded and turned to go

'you two can have the rest of the day off to pack up your trailer and move your stuff into the loft. Leave him a list of things to do.'

"Thanks Jack"

I said as the back door banged shut. I turned and wrapped my arms around Caleb taking in his body heat and looking up at him. He leaned down and kisses my lips softly.

"I'm glad you seem to be okay"

'I'm not going to lie, it shook me seeing him there. But I'm happy. I don't want him to ruin it'

He smiled at me and leaned down to kiss my lips one last time before taking my hand and leading me back into the warm house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42 2 28
He was an up-and-coming rodeo star, but an accident uprooted all of that for him. She was in a bad relationship and had no idea how to escape. They...
22K 1.1K 9
Caleb Townsend has always hated Savannah Mayfield. Working on the Mayfield Estate, Caleb thinks she's just a small town pampered Princess...
228K 5.7K 19
Savannah Price has moved on after he...walks out on her. She gets her life together even after the horrible event that brings her the joy of a little...
142K 3.3K 53
"When Addison starts getting notifications of Bryce following her on social media she starts having interests in him will they fall in love or will t...