Problems in Paradise

Bởi MaddieGrey

When April Garland wins tickets for a holiday away to sunny Spain, she’s over the moon. Along with her two be... Xem Thêm

Problems in Paradise
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five- 'Don't Mention the Suncream!'
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen- the last!

Chapter Three

3K 104 14
Bởi MaddieGrey

A/N: Sorry about the big spacing, Wattpad seems to be mucking up the format. Does it bother anyone, or is it ok? Anyway. Hope you enjoy! :)

Will was the first one to wake the next morning. The sun was streaming gently through the slight part in the blinds, making a delicate pattern across the white covers of his bed, and, as he propped himself up on one elbow, he surveyed the room sleepily. Next to him, Ezra snored gently, cheeks flushed with sleep. Will was slightly tempted to take advantage of him (he knew Oscar would have probably drawn a moustache on him already at least) but it was too early in the morning for that.

Swinging his legs out of bed, he stretched. The bed had been so comfortable, he’d ended up having the perfect night’s sleep. There was a dream still lurking in the depths of his mind, just out of reach of his recollection, and he wondered sleepily what it was about.

Poking his head around the door of Oscar’s room, he saw that his other friend was in a similar situation to the first, absolutely fast asleep.

Will’s stomach grumbled. Well, he might as well get some breakfast.

Quickly changing, he headed out of the room, padding down the softly carpeted corridors to get to the restaurant area of the hotel. Though it was early, people were already up and about, and the jangle of cutlery against plates and the low buzz of chatter greeted him.

He looked around the room. It was large and airy, with lots of little tables, and a big bar full of breakfast food to eat. He headed over there immediately, feeling absolutely starving, and loaded up his plate with toast and muffins, and pretty much something of everything, finishing up with a big glass full to the brim of orange juice.

It was only when he was half way across the room that he spotted Laurel, sat by herself, eating a piece of toast spread with jam, and intently reading a book. A grin spread across his face.

He sat down opposite to her, making her jump, and look up at him in surprise.

‘Oh!’ she said. ‘Good morning, Will!’

‘Good morning,’ he said, scraping the chair in and picking up his knife and fork. ‘You’re up early.’

‘I’m an early bird,’ she confessed. Will took his attention from the food, looking at her. She was fresh faced, with what looked like no makeup on, her hair simply brushed into a loose ponytail, freckles standing out against her skin. She looked as if she’d just woken up. Will thought he’d never seen anything more beautiful.

‘Er, me too,’ he replied, when he’d found his voice.

She looked at him curiously, obviously picking up on the pause. He cleared his throat, hurriedly.

‘You should have seen Ezra and Oscar,’ he said, with his usual ease of speech, smiling casually, before intently cutting up some bacon to give himself something to do. ‘Snoring away.’

Laurel laughed. ‘Bless.’

They both ate in silence, the clatter of cutlery against porcelain and quiet chatter the soundtrack to their breakfast.

‘So,’ said Will, when he was almost finished. ‘What are your plans for today?’

Laurel glanced out of one of the long windows that stretched across the hall. The sun was brightly shining down already, the sky cloudless and clear. ‘I think I might check out the pool,’ she said musingly, propping her chin on one hand and smiling at him in a way that made his breath catch in his throat, it was so unassumingly beautiful.

He nodded, smiling back at her. ‘Sounds like a good plan.’

‘What about you?’ she asked, finishing off her toast, and licking the crumbs from her lips.

‘I might come with, if you don’t mind,’ he said. ‘That sounds like fun.’

‘Sure,’ Laurel said. She got up. ‘I’ll meet you there in a few minutes?’

Will grinned. ‘Definitely.’

She smiled, waved, and turned, walking away, passing Ezra as she went. Will followed her pathway with his eyes, watching the way her hips swayed a little with every step she took, her ponytail bobbing up and down as she moved.

As she left, he looked back at Ezra, who met his eyes with a knowing look, eyebrows raised over his enormous plate of breakfast foods.

‘What?’ Will asked, innocently.

‘You know all too well, William,’ Ezra said, picking up his knife and fork and tucking in.

‘No,’ Will said, stubbornly.

Ezra chewed his mouthful of croissant, and shook his head. ‘Have it your way, then. You’re bloody crazy over that girl, aren’t you?’

‘I…’ Will looked at his plate, using the tip of his finger to absentmindedly rearrange the crumbs. ‘I…’

Ezra looked up at him. ‘Yes then?’

‘She’d never go for me,’ Will sighed. ‘She’s perfect! She wouldn’t want me.’

‘You don’t know that,’ Ezra said kindly, but Will noted a hint of uncertainty in his voice. Will had always known that he wasn’t exactly a ladies’ man, especially not compared to his two unashamedly stunning friends, but it still stung a little.

‘Sometimes girls are quite picky,’ Ezra continued. ‘I mean, they wait for Mr Right, don’t they?’

‘Not all of them,’ Will said, with a cheeky smile. ‘April went out with you, didn’t she?’

Ezra raised his eyes from his food, flicking a bit of scrambled egg at his friend. ‘Leave it, Will.’

Will wiped off the egg. ‘Alright.’ He got up. ‘I’ve gotta go get ready, I’m meeting Laurel at the pool in five.’

Ezra grinned. ‘Time to make a move?’ he asked.

Will gave him a look as he tucked his chair in. ‘I don’t think so.’

‘Grow some balls,’ Ezra said unsympathetically. ‘Can I come too?’

‘I guess,’ Will said. ‘But give me a head start.’

Ezra raised an eyebrow, but, as Will left, focused more intently on his breakfast instead. Though teasing Will about his love life was fun, food was much more appealing, especially when it was an all you could eat buffet. He suddenly remembered April teasing him about eating too much, after they’d both spent ages flipping pancakes one pancake day. He had eaten too many, and he’d had the stomach ache afterwards to prove it, and she’d rubbed his stomach for him, giggling and saying I told you so. The laughter seemed a world away from what they shared now, this awkward, stilted relationship. He sighed, spearing a sausage with his fork. Food over a love life any day, he thought, putting it into his mouth and chewing vigorously.

*

Yawning, Oscar made his way out of his room, hair tousled, trunks already on, and a towel slung over one shoulder. Stopping before the neighbouring door, he knocked lightly.

Morgie opened the door, bleary eyed, her hair ruffled as it fell down her back. ‘Mm?’ she asked, rubbing her eyes.

Oscar grinned. She was dressed in a white tank top and pyjama shorts, her bare feet brown against the cream carpet, toes curling into it. Her cheeks were a little flushed from sleep, and she looked warm and soft and just begging to hugged. His traitorous mind couldn’t help but flicker to imagining what she’d look like emerging from his sheets in the morning, curled up next to him, her soft skin pressed against his, her curves hidden beneath the bed spread. He could just picture it, her hair soft, and tousled over her bare skin, brushing against his, her voice husky. He winced. Not a good idea to think about that, not when she was stood in front of him. Morgie never missed a trick.

‘Good morning sleepy head,’ he said, reaching out to slip an arm around her waist and pull her in for a hug. ‘You look half asleep.’

Morgie blinked, looking like a little owl. ‘I’ll be awake in a sec,’ she said, and her voice was just as husky as he’d imagined, making his pulse climb. ‘I promise.’

April arrived with a mug of steaming coffee and handed it over with a knowing smile. ‘Here you are,’ she said, pressing it into Morgie’s outstretched hands. ‘This’ll wake you up.’

Morgie blew gently on the dark surface of the black coffee, then took a long reviving sip. ‘Mmmm,’ she said. ‘I’m feeling more awake already.’

‘Is this something you do every moning?’ inquired Oscar.

‘Yep,’ Morgie said. ‘I cannot function without a coffee.’

‘Trust me, she can’t,’ April said from the table where the kettle rested, pouring herself some tea. She grinned devilishly. ‘If you two ever do the inevitable, you’ll have to bring her coffee in the morning if you want round two,’ she added, matter of fact.

‘APRIL!’ Morgie shrieked.

Oscar winced again. He was having trouble thinking pure thoughts without April making things worse. ‘I see,’ he said winking at Morgie. ‘I’ll bear that in mind.’

‘In your dreams,’ Morgie muttered darkly, over the rim of her coffee mug. ‘April, I cannot believe you.’

April chuckled. ‘Sorry Morgs. That was a bit cheeky of me.’ She stirred her tea and looked at Oscar. ‘Want a drink, Oz?’

He shook his head. ‘No, don’t worry, I’ll just drink Morgie’s,’ he commented, swiping her mug and taking a sip.

Morgie gasped. ‘Oscar!’ Reaching for the mug, she grabbed it, and clutched it to her chest. ‘Get your own.’

Oscar grinned at her. ‘Don’t worry, keep your coffee to yourself.’ He gestured to his trunks. ‘Fancy coming down to the pool with me, girls?’

Morgie nodded enthusiastically. ‘Yes, yes, yes!’ she said excitedly. ‘Laurel’s already gone, but we said we’d come too.’

‘Do you know how to get there?’ Oscar inquired, looking at them both. ‘Without Laurel, I mean.’

April frowned. ‘It can’t be that hard, can it?’

‘You two have no sense of direction,’ Oscar reminded them. ‘So yes, it can.’

‘Ah.’ Morgie wrinkled her nose. ‘Well, do you know the way?’

Oscar gave her a look. ‘Of course I do.’

‘Well you can show us,’ she said, matter of fact, and reached in to her suitcase for her bikini.

‘Oh no,’ sighed Oscar. ‘You’ll be getting ready for hours!’

‘Will not!’ Morgie retorted. ‘April’s ready, I just need to get changed…’

‘Be quick then,’ Oscar warned her.

Morgie vanished into the other room, emerging only a few minutes later with her hair plaited back, and her bikini on, her face fresh and make up free. She still looked stunning. Oscar wondered if she’d ever not look stunning. Probably not. She was just one of those lucky people who had a permanent glow about her, making her always shine with the sort of beauty every girl wished that they had.

‘That was quick,’ he commented.

‘I did promise!’ she retorted. ‘You have such little faith.’ Pulling on a loose skirt over her bikini bottoms, Morgie grabbed her sunglasses. ‘I’m ready!’ she informed him.

‘Come on then,’ he said, getting up from her bed where he’d been sprawled, and glancing at April, who was ready with her bag over one shoulder, hair perfectly arranged to cascade over the other. ‘Off we go. Let’s hit the pool.’

Morgie half skipped out of the door. Oscar shot a look at April. ‘The coffee really does make a difference, doesn’t it?’

April shot him a sly glance. ‘Still bearing it in mind for the future?’ she inquired mischievously, and, at his outraged look, giggled, following her friend.

*

At the pool, Laurel was already sat by the side with her book next to her, her feet dangling into the light blue water, from which Will’s head was bobbing up and down.

Oscar didn’t stand upon ceremony, and, with a shriek of joy, leapt straight in, only stopping to sling his towel in the general direction of Laurel and Will’s stuff.

Water flew into the air, soaking Laurel, and splashing all across the side as the impact of Oscar’s flying leap took hold. As he emerged, beaming from the water, Morgie went more elegantly over to the steps, shaking her head at him.

‘Oscar,’ she said despairingly, ‘you are such a child.’

Oscar swam quickly over to her. ‘You love it, Morgie.’

Morgie rolled her eyes, beginning to descend the steps like a princess. She stopped just before her toes hit the water, and looked apprehensively down. ‘Is it cold?’ she inquired.

Oscar shook his head. ‘Not at all.’

Morgie looked to Will. ‘Is it?’ she asked.

Oscar let out an outraged gasp. ‘Do you not trust my word?!’ he asked indignantly.

‘I trust you about as far as I can throw you,’ Morgie told him carelessly, ‘and I can’t throw to save my life, so that’s not far.’

Reaching out with lightning speed, Oscar grabbed Morgie around the knees and pulled her rapidly into the water, creating an enormous splash, and an enormous squeal.

‘OSCAR!’ she spluttered, as she emerged, her hair streaming across her shoulders, her bikini soaked through. ‘This,’ she said, her teeth beginning to chatter, ‘is why I don’t bloody trust you.’

He could hardly stop laughing, but managed to choke out, ‘why?’

‘Why do you think?!’ Morgie exclaimed. ‘One, you just pulled me into this pool, and TWO, the water is absolutely freezing!’

Oscar tried to pull a straight face, but failed appallingly. ‘Sorry, hun,’ he said, looking anything but apologetic.

‘I’m cold,’ she said ruefully.

‘Don’t worry,’ Oscar replied, comfortingly. ‘I’ll warm you up.’

As Morgie splashed him by way of reply, April shook her head at them both, instead choosing the comfiest looking sun lounger, and settling down on it. It was soft material, and, as she lay there, surveying the picturesque pool with mosaic tiles around it, blue water lapping at the sides and sending little sparkling reflections where the sunlight hit the surface, she couldn’t help an enormous grin spread across her face.

It was perfect. Blissfully quiet, and beautifully sunny, April hadn’t felt this relaxed in ages. The early morning sun kissed her skin, hot already, and she closed her eyes sleepily.

‘You look happy,’ a familiar voice commented, as a loud squeak let her know someone had sunk on to the sun lounger next to her.

April looked over her sunglasses at her companion. Ezra smiled at her, looking rather beach ready in his trunks and sunglasses, sprawled comfortably across a sun lounger.

‘I am happy,’ she replied, her eyes traitorously skimming over the finely toned contours of Ezra’s abs. That had been one of the things she’d liked most about him, those perfect muscles. She could still remember the feel of them beneath her finger tips, when she’d trailed them across his stomach and chest. It used to drive him mad, she knew he couldn’t handle it.

She snapped her eyes back up to his face as she suddenly realized he was speaking to her. ‘Huh?’

‘I said good,’ he repeated, looking vaguely amused.

April scrunched up her nose. Damn Ezra. He’d always known when she was checking him out. Well aware of his good looks, he’d known the effect his beautiful body had had on her.

‘So,’ he commented, stretching out. ‘How have you been?’

April’s frown must have been more pronounced than she thought, because he took one look at her face and laughed. ‘Calm down,’ he said, grinning. ‘It’s just we haven’t really caught up with each other since the break ups and arguments.’

‘Oh.’ April pushed her sunglasses up so she could see him properly, giving up all hopes of a nice relaxing laze on the sun lounger.

‘Well? How have you been?’

‘Good,’ April said, slowly, trying to think about how to describe the past few months. ‘Er, I’ve just been working a lot.’

‘Yeah?’

‘Yeah.’

Well, this conversation wasn’t really going anywhere. April bit her lip. ‘I’m doing a fashion intern at a new place now,’ she explained, rather laboriously. ‘I’m kind of the office bitch, but it’s fun.’

‘The office bitch?!’ Ezra repeated. ‘Why?’

‘I just make the tea and coffee, you know,’ April said, carelessly. ‘I get to write the odd blog post, take a few photos sometimes when the photographer’s having some sort of crisis, but yeah, I don’t do… fashion.’

‘Then why are you there?’ Ezra asked, sounding confused. ‘It sounds like hell.’

April smiled. ‘It’s not hell. It’s just the only way to get experience.’

‘You should have stayed in uni,’ Ezra said.

April rolled her eyes. ‘I know you think that,’ she replied. ‘We argued about it enough. It just wasn’t me.’

‘And being an office bitch is?’ inquired Ezra.

‘I have to do it!’ April retorted. She sighed, leaning back on her chair and letting the warmth of the sun rush over her. She really wasn’t in the mood for an argument right now. She took a deep breath. ‘What about you, Ez?’

‘I’ve been good,’ he said, shortly.

‘How was your first year of uni as a whole?’ April asked, curiously.

‘Messy,’ said Ezra. ‘Too much drinking, not enough working.’

April let out a little snort. ‘That really doesn’t surprise me,’ she said.

‘No?’

‘Not in the slightest.’ April twirled a strand of her hair around her fingers. ‘You always drink too much, don’t you?’

‘Just because you’re a lightweight!’ retorted Ezra.

‘Nah, I just have respect for my liver,’ April replied.

Ezra rolled his eyes this time. ‘Well, anyway, I didn’t do too well on my finals.’

‘Drinking?’ asked April, slightly sharply.

‘Yeah,’ Ezra replied. ‘I guess I should have gone to a few more lectures, but I was too hung over.’

April shook her head. ‘What was the point of even going if you’re just going to get pissed out of your mind every night?’

‘I’ve learnt my lesson!’ Ezra protested, holding up his hands. ‘Anyway, everyone does it at uni.’

‘Laurel doesn’t,’ replied April. ‘And Morgie managed to do incredibly well despite partying.’

‘Well brilliant for them,’ Ezra said bitterly.

April sighed. ‘Look, you know that you don’t have to drink. You just can’t resist peer pressure, when you’re with ‘the lads.’’

‘Yes I can! I like drinking, it’s fun!’ Ezra retorted. ‘You should have more fun yourself!’

‘What the hell, Ezra?!’ April said angrily, sitting up abruptly. ‘I can have fun without alcohol, actually, and you clearly can’t!’

‘Oh yeah?! When was the last time you had fun at a party sober?!’

They were both sat up now, April’s face flushed from anger. ‘Oh my god, you are so pathetic, Ezra!’ she said, roughly. ‘You have no idea how much of an idiot you are!’

‘An idiot?!’ Ezra rolled his eyes. ‘You don’t even know what you’re talking about, April, you just need to seriously lighten up.’

‘Lighten up?!’

‘Yeah!’

‘I do not need to lighten up, Ezra, I need you to get the hell out of my life!’

‘Oh yeah, sure, I’ll just go and jump on a plane, shall I?’ Ezra half spat. ‘That’s the kind of behavior you expect, isn’t it?’

‘What the bloody hell do you mean?’

‘You need to grow up and realize you’re not some bloody princess,’ Ezra shouted. ‘You’re just a girl.’

April stood up, feeling the sting of tears at the corners of her eyes. She realized suddenly that Morgie and Oscar were hurriedly getting out of the pool, while Laurel was looking concerned. Thankfully no one else was at the pool, but this was a definite Scene. Brilliant. Another to add to her collection.

‘Thanks for reminding me, arsehole,’ April said, in a harsh whisper, and, angrily snatching up her things, she stormed away. Bloody Ezra. Trust him to ruin a peaceful morning. She fumed silently as she went, ignoring Morgie calling her name. She needed some space. Preferably far away from anyone, particularly Ezra. God. What did she do to deserve such an evil ex boyfriend?

She stormed away, wishing she could send him back on the first plane, wishing she’d never been in a relationship with him, and wishing this holiday could carry on without any more drama. She’d come to escape it, not to create more.

Ezra. He had to ruin everything.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

467 4 14
When Elizabeth Brayten and her family visit Florida to meet her Mom's parents, and to see where her mother grew up, she will be faced with many chall...
2.5M 42.7K 42
Everything started when Sarah,Mona and Madeleine went to Spain. a little holiday trip after their graduation. Summer. Pools. Hot chicas. parties...
126K 3.3K 41
APRIL There's one thing I know for sure: I hate Noah Coin. I hate him. He's the guy who broke my heart years ago. The guy I'd rather never have to se...
6.8K 1.6K 24
☆ 𝐓𝐰𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐅𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞𝐝 @𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐔𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐝 ☆ Sun, sea and surfing...it's Skye's version of paradise - so why does everythi...