Arctic Heart [#Wattys2018 Win...

By nininininaaa

[SY SERIES #1] He may be cold but it wasn't a hindrance for him to manage melting my heart. Because he did, a... More

Arctic Heart
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 20

234K 5K 592
By nininininaaa

Chapter 20
Inherited

My heart beat beats its current fastest record when we arrived at their house.

The metallic gate opened in an instant after Jace let the car horned for two times. It revealed a majestic modern styled house that had a very intricate exterior design. The drive way even made their house look grander. It was way bigger than our home.

Jace halted the car in front of the staircase that leads to their main door. Kahit na lumabas na siya sa sasakyan ay hindi ako kumilos sa aking kinauupuan. Napilitan lamang ako nang pagbuksan niya ako ng pintuan.

He let out his flattened palm. "Let's go inside," he said.

I let him hold my hand, and he placed it on his arm when I got out of the car. I moved closer to him. He just turned to me and gave me an assuring smile.

Pakiramdam ko ay pabigat nang pabigat ang aking hakbang habang papalapit kami nang papalapit sa pintuan ng kanilang tahanan.

Jace opened the door, and a guy who somehow looked like him was the first one I saw when entered. He must be Jace and Liana's younger brother. If I remembered correctly, his name's Jonathan. When I was stalking Jace when we were still in high school, I learned that they're three of them.

He stopped from doing his thing when he sensed us at the front door. He turned to look at us and his brows immediately shot up as his eyes travelled to my hand on Jace's arm.

Bahagya naman akong nahiya kaya itinago ko ito ng kaunti. Naramdaman naman 'yon ni Jace kaya muli niyang inayos ang aking kamay sa kanyang braso.

"There's no need to hide," he told me before facing his brother. "Jath, where are they?"

Napanguso naman ako. Was it really Jonathan? Or Jath was only his nickname?

"At the garden, Kuya," Jath answered and stared at me, looking very intimidating. "Is she Zarina?"

"Ate Zarina, Jath," he corrected his brother. "She's older than you."

Jath chuckled before he came closer to me. He smiled at me and offered his hand for a handshake.

I can't help but to pin point Jath's similarities with Jace. His smile resembled Jace's but of course, no one can make me feel like how Jace can. Even their eyes were somehow similar, but Jace's eyes were deeper and apathetic, while his were expressive.

"Jonathan Eaves Sy," he introduced himself. "You can just call me Jath."

"Jath, hello. Nice to meet you," I shyly said and made a handshake with him. "Zarina Rivadelo."

Once again, he chuckled before he let go. "I've heard your name a lot of times for the past couple of days so, there's really no need for you to introduce yourself."

I bit my lower lip as I felt my cheeks heated up. I didn't think I can survive this day.

"Jath, mom needs you―"

Liana stepped in from the glass sliding door where I could see their garden. She was even holding roses and stopped when her eyes caught mine.

"Oh my God! You're here already!" she exclaimed.

Nagmadali si Liana papalapit sa amin. Agad niya akong niyakap at nakipagbeso kaya naman napabitaw ako kay Jace. Ngiting-ngiti siya habang nakatingin sa akin bago sinulyapan ang kanyang kakambal.

"You're finally here!" she said. "Mom's so thrilled in meeting you, Zarina. And, oh! By the way, Dad prepared these roses for you."

She gave me those three roses that she was holding.

I was so overwhelmed to receive the roses from their father. Nahihiya ako ng sobra. I should've really prepared something for them, but Jace didn't want me to.

"Tara na sa garden!" pag-aya niya at saka tinulak ang bunsong kapatid para mauna. "Mauna ka na, shoti."

Jath lookd at Liana, looking irritated. "Stop calling me shoti, atsi."

"Then, stop calling me atsi, as well!" Liana demanded. "Just go, Jath, if you don't want mom to get mad at you."

Jath just shook his head and smiled at me once again before going out to their garden.

"We should go there as well but mom's not yet done preparing the foods on the table so please, bear with it, Zarina," Liana told me.

"Okay lang," I assured her with a smile.

"Okay, good! Let's go!"

She grabbed my hand and took me away from her twin. Nilingon ko naman si Jace. Nakapamulsa siya habang nakasunod sa amin. I smiled at him, and he slightly lifted the corner of his lips.

When we arrived at the garden, Liana let go of my hand, and I was left in awe while staring at their garden filled with roses, planted on the ground. I can clearly tell that roses were very significant to their family. I tightened my grip to the roses Liana gave me from her father.

I suddenly felt Jace's warm and calloused hand held my free hand that made me turn to him.

"I want you to meet my family," he told me and slightly took a step back to show me his family that's watching us right now.

They were all gathered at the gazebo by the pool. It was well lit by clear Christmas lights. And with his family in one frame, smiling at us, it was a very beautiful view.

I can't believe it. It's actually happening.

Humigpit ang pagkakahawak ni Jace sa aking kamay habang papalapit kami sa kanyang pamilya na mukhang kanina pa kami hinihintay.

And since I've met his siblings already, my eyes immediately travelled to his parents. Hindi ko mapigilan ang sarili ko sa pagpuri kung gaano kaganda ang kanyang ina. She's very beautiful like a star. I can tell that Liana inherited her mother's genes more. They have the same eyes.

I averted my gaze to the man who was holding his wife's waist closer to him. Looking at Jace's father, I confirmed to myself that he really has his father's genes and as well as Jonathan. Punong-puno ako ng pagkamangha habang tinitingnan ang kakisigan ng kanilang ama. Kahit na may katandaan na ay gwapo pa rin.

I bet Jace will also be this good looking once he grows older.

"Mom... Dad..." Jace called his parents' attention even though it was all on us already. "This is Zarina Rivadelo. Uhm... The girl that I'm currently courting."

I saw his father pursed his lips to stop himself from laughing, while Jath wasn't able to keep his laughter to himself and his mother gave him a warning stare.

"It's not just me, mom! Even dad!" he said and pointed at his father.

Mas lalo namang tinikom ng kanilang ama ang kanyang labi para pigilan ang sarili. Siniko na lamang siya ng kanyang asawa.

"Stop it, boys!" Suway niya sa dalawa bago nahihiyang ngumiti sa akin. "I'm sorry, Zarina. Talagang ganito lang sila minsan. I'm Lyrae Sy, by the way. Mommy ni Jace."

She came closer and pressed her cheek softly against mine.

"It's so nice to finally meet you. Just call me Tita Rae." She chuckled. "I've already heard your name a few years ago from Jace. You made him your escort during your debut, right?"

Nahihiya naman akong tumango at muli siyang tumawa.

"I was actually surprised before when he told me he needed a tux because he was gonna be an escort to a debut," kwento ni Tita Lyrae. "Alam mo ba kung gaano ako kagulat no'n?"

"Mom's literally shocked that time," Liana commented and giggled.

"I was really shocked!" Tita Lyrae exclaimed and confirmed Liana's comment. "I never thought my son would attend his schoolmate's debut. More so, be an escort."

"Mom, we haven't start eating dinner yet but you already made the night quite embarrassing for me," Jace told his mom.

"Well, what will make this rendezvous with Zarina interesting if we're not gonna reveal some of your moments worth sharing, right?" His dad asked him and laughed before he suddenly came closer to kiss me on my cheek. "Call me Tito Josh, Zarina."

I smiled at him and nodded, while I was also feeling guilty.

His family, especially his parents made me feel so special even if we've just met. I felt guilty because of how my mom treated him the first time he came in our house. I was glad that my dad was actually able to give him the same affection his family was giving me.

"Are we done with the introductions already? Can we eat dinner now?" Jath asked out of the blue.

"What a pig, Jath. Panira ka talaga ng moment." Inirapan siya ni Liana.

I can't help but to chuckle. Looks like Liana and her little brother are always at war, but I guess that's how they bond with each other. Palaisipan tuloy sa akin ngayon kung paano si Jace makipagbonding sa kanila. He seemed close to them but at the same time, there was this invisible line in between that I can feel.

We all settled at the dining table when everything was fully prepared. I didn't think that I can even digest all the food that was served on the table. They prepared a lot than what I've expected.

Tita Lyrae took extra care of me tonight by asking me what I like the most among the served dishes and got me almost a whole plate of it. What she was showing me was definitely the opposite of how my mom treated Jace.

"So, Zarina..." Tito Josh called my attention while we were eating.

I drank water and wiped my mouth with a table napkin before looking at Tito Josh.

"Po?"

"How's my son so far?" he suddenly asked, very curious. "Is he doing a great job courting you?"

All of their attention was suddenly directed to me, waiting for me to answer the question. Well, except for Jace who acted like the question wasn't relevant to him.

I realized that he was more reserved when he's with his family.

"Hmm..." I didn't even know how to answer the question without looking like I'm the one who's crazy for their son because that's the truth. "Okay naman po..."

They all sighed and expressed relief in unison. Para bang nabunutan sila ng tinik sa lalamunan dahil sa aking sagot.

"Well, that's good." Tito Josh nodded. "I thought my son will fail at first try."

"Alam mo kasi, Zarina... Jace doesn't know how to court a girl," Tita Lyrae explained to me. "Kung may makikita ka mang pagkukulang sa ipinapakita niya sa'yo, I hope you wouldn't be turned off. He even asked us how to court you. It's already a first for my son. He's doing his best."

I bit my lower lip, trying to keep myself from smiling.

Alam ko na ang parting 'yan. Alam kong hindi siya marunong manligaw, pero nakikita kong ginagawa niya ang makakaya niya. When he tried to be someone else that he's not just to court me, I already knew that he was doing everything he can. Even if it takes losing himself just to have me.

"Ewan ko ba naman kasi rito kay Jace at hindi minana ang galing ko sa panliligaw. Siya pa naman ang panganay naming lalaki pero mukhang mas magaling pa si Jath," biglang biro ni Tito Josh.

Liana made a scowl, while Jath laughed. I glanced at Jace and his lips just twitched.

"Stop joking, Josh. Hindi ka magaling manligaw. Don't be so full of yourself." Tita Lyrae rolled her eyes at her husband.

"Kung hindi ako magaling manligaw, paano kita napasagot?" Tito Josh fired a question with confidence. "There are a lot of guys who wanted to court you before, but they never succeeded. Hindi mo nga sila binibigyan ng pagkakataon."

Hinarap naman siya ng maayos ni Tita Lyrae. "Oo na, oo na!" pagsang-ayon niya. "Pasalamat ka at mahal na mahal kita."

Tito Josh chuckled before he stole a swift kiss on Tita Lyrae's lips.

I felt Jace leaned closer and whispered, "See what I'm talking about?" he asked, referring to what he told me about his parents.

I turned to look at him and nodded while my heart was already melting because their affection towards each other. I knew my dad loves my mom so much, but I never see them like this.

"Mom! Tell Zarina how dad courted you before," kinikilig na sabi ni Liana.

"That story again... I'm so sick of it!" reklamo naman ni Jath.

"Heard that for a hundred of times already..." naki-angal naman si Jace na parang sawang-sawa na siyang pakinggan.

Liana pointed at her brothers with her fork before averting her eyes to mine and smiled.

"Gusto mo bang marinig, Zarina?" tanong niya sa akin.

Ngumiti naman ako at saka tumango bago tumingin kay Tita Lyrae. "Gusto ko pong malaman."

I heard Jace exhaled a deep breath before he casually rested his hand on my lap. I did my best to remain calm and acted like his touch didn't affect me at all. Pinanatili ko lang ang tingin ko kay Tita Lyrae.

"Well... it all started after our intramurals. We won the title Mr. and Ms. Intramurals for that school year. He started sending me letters anonymously by putting it on my locker. And then the next year, he got richer and gave me one red rose a day."

Euphoria was screaming on Tita Lyrae's face while looking back at her past with her husband. I can tell how happy she is right now because she ended up with him. She loves him so much.

"But he's not good with being anonymous. I caught him once, but he got away with. But I caught him again, and he confessed unplanned," she laughed while telling me their story. "He didn't stop when I told him to stop because I have no time for relationships. Instead, he proved himself to me day by day. He even faced my dad without fear laced on his face. Doon niya ako napahanga ng sobra. Nagawa niya akong itulak sa patibong niya at tuluyan na akong nahulog hanggang sa hindi na nakaahon hanggang ngayon."

Well, I think I already know what Jace inherited from his father apart from his looks.

They both can make a girl fall from their trap that trying to escape isn't possible no matter how much you try to break the chains that keep you locked up.

I just really hope that our ending will be the same as his parents because after experiencing these things with him, I don't think it's possible to get over him anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

400K 12.6K 60
Ongpauco Series #4 I knew it from the start. We were never really meant to be together... We just happened. *** Epilogues II, III, & IV are availab...
153K 5.7K 37
Belle Ville Series #3. Life has always been tough for Hagia. She was forced by fate to be strong and independent at a young age. Working different pa...
7.4M 207K 45
Rogue Saavedra, the arrogant city's young billionaire, becomes stranded on an unknown island. There he meets an illiterate jungle woman, Jane, who is...
3.3M 85.8K 63
Sa isang pagwawakas, hindi maaaring walang masasaktan. Isa man sa inyo, o kayong dalawa pareho. Sa bawat mga hakbang palayo, ay ang unti-unting pagka...