STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE...

By ChancellorMatt

I didn't like the Last Jedi. Had a lot of problems with how certain characters were handled, and missed oppor... More

Opening Crawl
One - Art
Two - A Long Time
Three - Disappointments
Four - Grand Admiral
Five - The Cave
Six - Bad Memories
Seven - The Battle of Canto Bight
Eight - A Distraction Called Sight
Nine - Moving Rocks
Ten - Trapped Like Womprats
Eleven - The Battle of Crait
Twelve - The Last Jedi
Thirteen - Reunions and First Meetings
Fourteen - Storming the Supremacy
Fifteen - The Student and The Master
Seventeen - A Long Awaited Meeting
Eighteen - The Girl
Nineteen - Solo
Twenty
That's a Wrap
Concerning The Rise of Skywalker

Sixteen - The Core

200 8 1
By ChancellorMatt

Chewbacca blasts a stormtrooper across the hall. Another one dashes at the wookie, pulling out a crackling stun baton. He swings, and the plasma-wrapped weapon smashes against Chewbacca's arm. Chewbacca drops the bowcaster with an earsplitting howl. He grabs the stormtrooper and smashes him against a wall. Three other troopers pull out batons and charge at Chewbacca. Chewbacca charges back.

***

Lorn slaps aside a thrust from Valto, then leaps into a spinning slash. The knight pulls the staff up to block, then swings a follow-up while Lorn is still in the air. Lorn twists, to avoid the brunt of the strike but the blade still slices along the side of Lorn's helmet. She shuffles back, holding up her magenta blade defensively.

"You seem a little rusty." Valto remarks. "I'm guessing it's been awhile since you last used that blade?"

"Not really." Lorn replies. "I just killed one of your friends with it. Who was the one with the oversized lightsaber? I never learned his name."

Valto hesitates. Lorn rushes her. Surprised, Valton tries to swing her saber pike down on Lorn, but she deflects the red blade aside and kicks Valto in the gut. The girl doubles over, and retreats back.

"Scared? Don't worry you'll get to see your friends again soon."

***

Rey's saber clashes with Ador Ren's, sending a shower of sparks that light up the darkened hallway. He swings to lop her head off, and Rey only barely ducks below the strike. She tries to throw a force push, but Ador negates it with one of his own and savagedly slashes twice more. Rey block the hammer-like blows, stumbling back. Ador then shoves his blade against hers and uses it as leverage to elbow her in the side. Rey gasps as she retreats backwards.

Ador shakes his head with disguest. "I can't believe you're the one he wants."

"Who? Kylo?" Rey asks.

Ador scoffs. "Not him. Our real master: Snoke."

Rey blinks. She seems to consider this for a moment, then suddenly grabs one of the few stormtrooper with the Force and flings him at Ador.

Ador rolls his eyes, flicks a hand, and the trooper sails past him to smack into wall.

"....he says you are the key to all of this..." Ador continues.

Ador thrusts at Rey's chest. She moves to block, but it's a feint, and Ador actually flicks at Rey's shoulder. The blade grazes her arm, flesh burning. Rey hisses with pain, hands trembling with the effort to not let her guard drop.

"...I don't see it."

"What could Snoke want with me?" Rey asks. "I'm no one."

"You really have no idea...?" Ador's widen and he straightens. "...maybe I can end you before you find out, then."

Ador knocks Rey's blade aside and kicks her in the chest.

"If you live, Snoke will have no more use for us...if I kill you here, then that's not a problem."

Rey throws her hand out, sending a force push at Ador. He sends his hand out, overcoming Rey's own push, and slamming her back into the floor. Ador brings his blade up to plunge down into Rey.

***

Lorn rushes at Valto, thrusting. The Knight deflects the blow and swings her staff's blade in a diagonal cut. Lorn crouches beneath the swing, and swings at Valto's legs. Valto hops over the blade and brings her staff into a downward stab at Lorn. Lorn jumps back, avoiding the blade. The two women stare each other down.

"Hey, the girl's about to die." Velto says.

"I won't fall for a bluff like-"

Rey cries out. Lorn spins around. Ador stands over the helpless Rey. He plunges his blade down.

"Rey!" Lorn screams, throwing out her arms.

Ador flies away from Rey, slamming into the wall. Rey looks back, eyes wide. While Lorn's back turned Velto strikes. Her saber pike's blade slices into Lorn's side. Lorn hisses with pain, and falls to her knees. Velto raises her staff to finish-off her opponent.

"No!" Rey yells, throwing out her hands at Velto.

Velto flies back across the hallway. Rey rushes to her feet and runs over to Lorn. She grabs the other woman's arm and tries to help her up. Lorn shoves her back, and stands up on her own.

"I'm fine, kid." She says. "Armor took most of the hit."

Despite this, Lorn is holding her side. Rey looks at the wound skeptically.

"Besides, we got bigger problems." Lorn nods past Rey.

Rey turns to see Ador racing towards her. Velto gets up and advances on them from the opposite direction. Rey and Lorn stand back to back.

"Got any ideas?" Rey asks, as Ador charges at her.

"One. Jump as soon as I do it." Lorn says.

"Do what-"

Lorn throws her hand down. Rey jumps. A shockwave passes through the ground. Ador and Velto are thrown off balance. Rey's feet reconnect with the ground, and in the same motion she launches herself at the stumbling Ador. He barely manages to block her swing aimed at his head. He shuffles back, attempting to regain his footing. Rey keeps the pressure on, speeding up the tempo of her attacks. Her blade sending sparks flying off Ador's with ever swing.

"Who does Snoke think I am? Why would he want me so bad?"

"I'm not letting you find out." Ador snarls. "I've already decided to kill you here."

Rey narrows her eyes. She swings at Ador. He deflects, then punches Rey with his free hand. She stumbles back, wiping blood from her lips. Ador tears the glove off that hand. A mechanical prosthetic is revealed.

"Still getting used to this thing, but it seems it comes with its perks!"

Rey steps back and Ador lunges.

***

Empty air and a long drop is all that sits between Finn and Phasma. For a time, neither speak and the hum of the Core is the only sound.

There is a smaller square-shaped platform on the side of Phasma's larger platform wrapped around the glowing pillar. The smaller platform is about six by six feet. It floats away from Phasma's platform, slowly towards Finn's side of the chamber. Both notice, but neither comment on it.

"...I thought you might come here." Phasma finally says. "It's how you rebels work. Sneak in and throw a wrench in our plans."

Finn shrugs. "It keeps working."

"It won't this time!" Phasma hisses. "That's why I'm here. I thought you might find a way past those knights and the troopers. But, I will stop you here at all cost...traitor."

The platform reaches Finn's side. He steps on. A moment later the platform pulls away, and moves back towards Phasma's side.

"If it's any consolation, I do feel a little bad about the trash compactor thing." Finn says, with a half-smirk.

"It was an...unpleasant experience." Phasma explains with disgust. "But, nothing compared to what came next. The destruction of Starkiller Base. Years of work, trillions in credits, and enough raw materials to run entire star systems dry. But, if I'm being honest...none of that is why I really want to kill you..."

The platform draws closer to Phasma's side. From under her cloak Phasma pulls a metal rod. She takes it in both hands and it extends it to a staff five feet in length. Finn activates his baton, and swings it around so it is parallel with his forearm. Both crouch into almost identical combat stances. The platform reaches Phasma's side.

"...I want to kill you, so I can avenge all the troopers you murdered that day."

Finn is taken aback by the words. Phasma seizes the opportunity to leap onto the platform,  chrome staff swinging for Finn's head. Finn throws up his baton up, blocking the staff. The plasma crackle reflects against Phasma's chrome helmet. She pivolts swinging the other end of the staff into Finn's gut. He grunts, and steps back. Phasma swings the other end of the staff at Finn's neck. He swings his baton up, and manages to block the strike, baton crackling against the staff. The platform begins to move again, slowly pulling away from the Core platform.

"I thought you were a coward at first, when you first stole that X-wing with the Resistance pilot. I assumed that you couldn't stomach battle and just wanted to get out with your life..."

Phasma pushes forward, forcing Finn's heels to the edge of the platform. He grits his teeth as he struggles to keep Phasma from pushing him over the edge.

"...but that wasn't it at all was it? You couldn't have been a coward. Cowards just run. But you...you didn't just leave, you joined the enemy!"

"I didn't want to be a killer..." Finn says, in a weak voice.

"You didn't want to be a killer!?" Phasma says with disbelief. "So instead you helped murder every one of your comrades on Starkiller Base!?"

She suddenly releases her pressure against Finn, causing him to stumble forward. She drives her knee into his face. Finn falls onto his back, with his head hanging over the edge of the platform. Phasma raises the pointed tip of the staff and plunges it down towards Finn's face. He knocks the staff to the side, then kicks Phasma back. Her heels slide to the other end of the small platform. Finn pulls himself back to his feet, but does not move towards Phasma.

"How easy was it for you? Turning on everyone you knew, everything you knew!" Phasma asks, stalking back and forth along the platform.

"I did what I had to..." Finn says, uncertain.

The floating platform returns to the Core side. Phasma tilts her head, as if posing a question to Finn. Finn remains still for a moment. Then he bursts into motion. He dashes across the platform and tries to rush past Phasma. She throws her staff out, catching him in the chest and forcing him back.

"Two hundred million..."Phasma says. "...that's how many we lost that day.

Finn's face falters. Phasma lashes out again. In his attempt to block, he stumbles backwards, onto the floating platform. The platform starts to move away from the Core. Phasma leaps on after him and thrusts in the same motion. Finn just barely knocks it aside, then ducks to avoid an overhead swing of the staff. Finn comes back up swinging his baton in an upwards arc Phasma rotates the staff so Finn's baton slides past. She follows up by swinging one end of the staff to strike him across the cheek, then pivots to smack him in the side of the leg with the other end. Finn collapses to one knee.

"Did you forget who trained the entire FN corp.?" Phasma looms over him, backlit by the glowing Core behind. 

Finn groans from the pain, and tries to rise. Phasma kicks him in the chest, causing him to spawl onto his back.

"They're all dead, you know. The FNs. They were all aboard Starkiller Base. You're the last one, FN-2187. You killed the rest."

"...all of them?" Finn asks quietly.

"All of them." Phasma confirms.

He looks down, with haunted eyes.

"...I tried. Tried to be like them." Finn shakes his head. "The Resistance. The heroes. But I...can't...can't fight you like they can. I can't just shoot another stormtrooper anymore. It's one thing when your running for life. It's another when you have to go into battle knowing you're going kill people in the same suit you were in."

The platform reaches the side Finn started on.

Phasma scoffs. "Then at least you can die like them."

Phasma raises her staff to bring it down on Finn's head. He doesn't make a motion to stop her. Behind Phasma, on the opposite platform, the Sore begin to glow. Finn looks up with surprise. Phasma glaces back at the glowing energy beneath the clear barrier.

"The cannons are charging up. Some of the rebel scum outside are about to be blown to pieces." Phasma says with disdain.

Finn isn't paying attention to her. He's only staring at the glowing Core. He swallows, hard. The core glows brighter.

"Time to see your brothers." Phasma says, bringing the staff down.

Surging up, Finn swings his baton into Phasma's leg. Her stance collapses and the staff's tip sails just past his face. He rolls onto the other platform and pulls himself back into a standing position. Phasma leaps to her feet as well. Both stand there, watching the other.

"I can't fight you like one of them..." Finn says narrowing his eyes. "...but I can fight you like a stormtrooper."

Phasma hesitates.

"So let's see Phasma, just how well you trained us FNs!"

Finn leaps back onto the floating platform as beings to move.

***

The Raddus

"Hard port!" Ackbar commands.

The Raddus pitches to the side, as the Supremacy's cannon's fire. They narrowly dodge the massive laser blast that tears through space. It sails past, to rip open a mountain on the planet below.

"They're targeting us again!" An officer shouts.

"We're all going to die!" C3PO cries out.

The cannons fire again. This time the blast grazes them, slashes along the Raddus' side, tearing the shields to nothing.

"Shields are down! Another hit will turn us to scrap!" An officer shouts.

The Supremacy's guns turn to refocus on the Raddus. Leia watches with horror.

"For...the Resistance!" A voice shouts over the comm.

One of the frigates zooms in front of the Raddus. The supremacy's cannons fire. The frigate is engulfed in raw light. The silhouette holds out for only an instant before tearing apart. The flaming wreckage pelts against the otherwise-unharmed Raddus. Leia looks sick.

"This...isn't working." she says.

"It has to!" Ackbar says. "Its...it's our only hope."

***

The Supremacy

The Core's light drops back down to a dull glow.

"First you failed the corp., now you're failing your new friends." Phasma taunts, swinging her staff at his head.

Finn ducks beneath the swing, resolve hardening in his eyes. "I'm not going to let those guns fire again."

The two clash on the small floating platform. She tries to impale Finn but he bashes the staff aside, then hammers his baton against the haft of the weapon. Plasma sparks agains the metal, and Phasma nearly loses her grip.

"I was a coward! I was afraid! That is why I left!" Finn declares.

"Then why did you help them?" She hisses.

Phasma attempts to knee Finn in the gut, but he twists avoiding the brunt of the blow. He slams his shoulder into Phasma, forcing her back a step.

"...because after I left I met someone that made me realize this wasn't just a war I could run from. That I couldn't just ignore the First Order and hope they never found me..."

Phasma thrust at Finn's midsection. He deflects, then kicks Phasma back, causing her to stumble. She regains her balance just inches from the edge.

"...I couldn't be a coward anymore after seeing that...I needed to help them fight back."

"Why couldn't you have been brave for us, dammit!?" Phasma shouts.

The platform reaches the Core side. Finn steps on after her and lunges at Phasma. She deflects and steps back onto the Core platform, with the consoles at her back. He presses forward, swinging his baton around its handle, humming as it builds up speed.

"Because we were the bad guys!" Finn shouts.

He finally brings the baton down on Phasma's staff, causing her to loose grip with one hand. He presses on and swings for her head. She jumps to the side, and the baton smashes against a console, cracking the screen. The moving platform starts to pull away behind Finn, leaving them both stranded on the Core platform.

Phasma pushes forward, bringing her staff down against Finn's baton, trapping it against the railing.

"Your justification for turning on your brethren is as simplistic as it is feeble!"

She raises a fist, but Finn throws his shoulder into her gut. He pulls his baton free, swings it around to build up momentum, then lashes out again. Phasma throws out her staff, deflecting the baton to the side. She kicks Finn, forcing him back. She tries to follow up by but Finn catches the staff along his baton, and shoves his weapon into Phasma's shoulder. The burst of electricity meeting chrome armor flings Phasma back. She collides with the railing, and Finn rushes forward. He brings his baton down on her staff. The staff is pushed down against Phasma'schest and she is forced to lean back over the railing.

"During the first battle I was ever on, my only friend in the whole corp. died while we were shooting at innocent people!"

"Do you think any of that matters!?" Phasma hisses. "What comfort is is to all the trooper who died that you grew a conscience!?"

She elbows him in the arm, then slips out from under his baton. The baton swings down onto the railing, throwing up sparks on contact. Phasma pulls back, and Finn advances on her.

"Do I feel guilty for my part in all those troopers deaths? Yes..." Finn says quietly.

They circle around the core at the center of the platform.

"...but a lot more people that that died when Starkiller base went off." Finn says, staring Phasma down.

"I don't care about those people, they aren't my men!" Phasma rages.

She swings her staff diagonally. Finn steps back to avoid it, then counters with a swing into Phasma's arm. She recoils from the shock and stumbles back. She now stands with her back to the opening in the railing where they first stepped on the platform. Behind her the moving platform meets the Core platform, just behind to her feet. She doesn't seem to notice. The moving platform begins to pull back. Finn charges at her. Phasma pulls up her staff up to chest height, defensively. Finn swings low towards her legs. Phasma shoves her staff downward, but Finn pulls back at the last second, a feint. With Phasma's guard low, Finn thrusts into her chest. The electric plasma shocks against Phasma's chrome armor, and flings her back. She crashes on top of the moving platform. She races to her feet, but by the time she is up, the moving platform is too far away to jump the distance.

Phasma begins to stalk back in forth on the platform with anticipation. Finn unfastens his bag and reaches inside. He pulls out a small metal box. He slaps it onto the core console, and presses a button on the side. A red light blinks on. Finn pulls something else out of the bag. A small palm-sized cylinder with a red button on the top. He shoves this in his jacket pocket, then throws the bag aside.

"You can't detonate that bomb while you're there without killing yourself." Phasma observes.

Her platform reaches the far side.

"Guess I'll just just have to get over there, then." Finn replies.

***

Lorn struggles to defend from Valto's assault. Every blow Lorn blocks sends a tremor through her body. She fights with her saber in one hand, the other gripping her side. A powerful two-handed chop from Valto put Lorn down on one knee. She lets go of her side for a moment, then reaches out towards one of the fallen stormtrooper blasters. It flies into her hand and she fires it at Valto. Valto ducks beneath the bolt and swipes with her staff. The blade cuts the blaster in half. Lorn tries to swing at Valto, but the other woman knocks the blow aside, and kicks Lorn to the ground. She lowers her staff to hover over Lorn.

"Nothing snarky to say, old lady?" Velto asks.

"Not really." Lorn says shrugging. "Just kill me already, will ya? You're embarrassing us both."

Velto snorts, then swings down at Lorn. She doesn't even bother trying to block it. Suddenly a stormtrooper crashes into Velto. They both hit the back wall, and collapse, motionless. Lorn looks over to see Chewbacca with outstretched arms. He growls something at Lorn, then turn around to charge a pair of terrified stormtroopers. Their batons do little to slow the rampaging wookiee. Lorn chuckles, then slumps down.

"I'm tired." She says, to no one in particular.

***

Rey and Ador's blades are utter opposites. Cool solid blue against flickering, angry red. Each crackle of blades meeting, illuminate their faces. Their blades lock together as they get stuck in a contest of strength. The two blades turn to cut into the wall. More sparks fly. The crackling white where their blades meet is made even more intense by Ador's unstable blade. Ador slowly forces Rey back.

"Come on. This can't be all there is to you..." Ador says.

Rey struggles, teeth gritting.

"So little power..."

Rey continues to slide backwards. She closes her eyes, and pushes with all her might.

"So little anger!"

Ador punches Rey in the shoulder. She cries out and her guard weakens. Ador uses the opportunity to shove her weapon aside. He then swings his lightsaber at her head. Rey tries to leap back, but the tip of the blade grazes her forehead. Rey drops to her knees, clutching the wound. Ador scoffs and kicks her lightsaber away.

"Pathetic. Maybe he was wrong. Maybe you aren't-"

Rey looks up. There is pure, unbridled rage in her eyes.

Ador takes a step back. Letting out a shrill cry, Rey raises both arms, palms open. Ador begins to slide back. He throws up his own hand to resist her push, but he continues to slide back. He starts to stumble. He frantically grabs at the wall for support. He throws his hand out again, attempting to counter Rey's push again. For a moment it seems to work. He stops begin pushes back, and starts to regain his footing. Rey's eyes blaze with fury. A small crackle of purple lighting races around her body. Ador's face is coated in fear. Instinctively, he throws his lightsaber at Rey.

The blade spins through the air, racing towards her head.

Then, the blade simply halts in the air, just inches from her face. Rey focuses on the blade. The blade disintegrates into a shower of sparks as the hilt pulls apart into dozens of pieces. The saber parts clatter to the ground. Ador quivers with fear. Rey screams and throws both hands out. The tremendous Force-push collides with Ador Ren. He rockets down the hallway at a blinking speed. He smashes into a wall at the end of the hall, with a sickening crunch. He falls to the floor in a heap. Rey smiles. Then, she blinks. She shakes her head, as if in a daze. She looks at Ador lying at the end of the hall. Her eyes widen, and she stares down at her hands.

"How...?"Rey swallows hard.

"Ador is right," A voice says from behind. "You are too dangerous to keep alive."

Rey whirls around to see Velto swinging her saber pike. Rey stumbles back, unprepared. A magenta lightsaber bursts from Velto's chest. She drops her staff and gapes down at the blade. The blade retracts with a hiss, and Velto drops to the ground.

Dead. Lorn stands behind, lightsaber hilt outstretched. She looks as though it is a struggle to stand.

"Lorn! Are you alright?" Rey asks.

"Never better." Lorn replies, slumping against the wall.

"You..." She looks down at Velto. "...saved my life. Twice now."

Lorn groans in pain. "For all the good it did me."

"Why would you do that?" Rey ponders.

"Don't let it go to your head, I'm just a merc..."

"Just a merc." Rey repeats. She looks a Lorn, as if seeing her for the first time.

"You almost died saving me before. Why would 'just a merc' do something like that for a girl she just met?"

Lorn doesn't reply.

"You reacted when you first saw me. And there's been something about you this entire time...something familiar. Do...do you know me?"

Before Lorn can reply, Chewbacca growls in triumph from the other side of the room. He stands before pile of fallen stormtroopers. R2-D2 also beeps victoriously, then turns the lights back on. Rey looks back to Lorn, who no longer faces her. She sighs, and turns away herself.

***

Phasma and Finn stare at each other from opposite sides of the chamber.

The floating platform beneath Phasma starts to move again.

Both tense. Finn starts spinning his baton. Phasma raises her staff in a high guard.  The platform grows closer to the Core side. With a few feet still to go, Finn leaps the remaining distance, baton swinging with an electric hum.

Phasma knocks the weapon aside and shoves Finn back onto the Core platform. He stumbled but rights himself and rushes at her again, swinging low. Phasma deflects the blow to the side and strikes him on the upper arm for the trouble.

The moving platform starts to pull away. Frantic, Finn thrusts his weapon at Phasma's chest. She blocks but it gives him enough of an opening to leap onto the moving platform. He balances precariously on the edge and barely blocks a swing that would have knocked him off.

Once again, chrome staff and crackling baton clash.

"I don't care how righteous you think you are!" Phasma snarls. "You're going to pay for killing those troopers!" She says, pushing Finn towards the edge of the platform.

"And what about you Phasma?" Finn shoots back "When we captured you, did you tell us you'd die before betraying your duty? Did you go down swinging? No. You turned off the energy shield to save your own skin!"

Finn his able to shove her back a step.

"Shut up!" Phasma yells.

"Death before disobedience." Finn says. "Isn't that what you drilled into our heads?"

Phasma growls and shoves Finn back. She throws a kick at his midsection, but Finn twists, avoiding the brunt of the blow.

"I had my part to play in that base's destruction..." Finn says, swinging his baton.

Phasma blocks, but Finn swings it back around to strike from the other side.

"...but so did you."

The baton smashes into Phasma's side. She stumbles to the side, and almost goes over the side.

"The truth is we're both equally guilty for all those dead troopers..." His eyes narrow. "...and I think you know it."

He swings at Phasma. She catches the baton along her staff. Barely.

"You're a fool if you think I have as much guilt to bear as you!" She snarls.

"Who are you trying to convince?"

Phasma smashes her helmet against Finn's face. He stumbles. Phasma tackles him and they both go down. Finn's head hangs over the edge. Phasma forces her staff down at his neck. Finn barely holds it back with his baton. He struggles to pull himself up, but Phasma's weight holds him down.

"I didn't care about any of you!" Phasma hisses.

She presses the staff closer to Finn's neck. "Y-you were numbers and letters! Just a bunch of mindless soldiers I had to train. What did I care if you all blew up? You were replaceable, disposable!" Her staff inches closer to Finn's neck. "I didn't care about any of you! So why should I die for a bunch of drones!?"

Finn continues to struggle in vain.

"I...." Her voice goes distant. "....I told myself you lot would never succeed. Starkiller Base couldn't be destroyed. Even if it did, it wasn't worth my life. But then...it was just gone. And...suddenly those 'mindless soldiers' soldiers I didn't care about were all dust...and it was because I was a coward."

Finn stares up at Phasma, as if seeing her for the first time.

"I...I practically raised all of you. How did I not see that before?" Her pressure on Finn weakens.

"You...actually feel guilty?" Finn says with disbelief.

Phasma falters, her grip going loose.

The moving platform reaches the wall side platform. She doesn't seem to notice.

"I'm...sorry about this." Finn says, with sincerity.

Finn, taking advantage of Phasma's weakened grip, shoves his baton upwards. The baton sparks against her helmet. The shock of plasma throws Phasma off Finn. Finn scrambles to his feet. Phasma does the same.

Both swing their weapons.

Finn is faster. His baton smashes into Phasma's helmet full force, cracking it. She spins from the force of the blow, and tumbles over the side of the platform. She throws out one hand, catching onto the rim of the walkway connected to the exterior wall. Her staff falls out of grip and plummets down into oblivion.

Finn looks down, gaze moving from the dangling Phasma, to the baton in his hand. Her hand begins to slip. Finn drops the baton and throws his hand out, catching her wrist.

"What are you doing, FN-2187!?" She says with disbelief.

"You wanna die or what!?" His voice strains from the weight.

She growls, but reaches up with her other hand and starts to pull herself up. Together they drag Phasma onto the ledge. They collapse side by side, panting. They lay there for several moment, catching their breath.

"...Why?" Phasma asks eventually.

Finn chuckles, tiredly. "You hate me. That's okay, I kinda hate you too. But...like it or not...you're kinda the closest thing I have to family. It just...didn't seem right, letting you go out like that."

"You're an idiot then. We're...nothing." Phasma says, the words, but with much strength.

Finn shrugs. Both are silent.

"...this war," Finn says. "I don't think it should have to end with one of us completely destroying other. I don't want to just keep killing other troopers. They didn't ask for this. To be torn away from their families and fight in battles they didn't start. And for all your talk, I don't think you like this war either."

Phasma is quiet.

"I think..." Finn says, hesitantly. "...we can find a way for the Resistance and the stormtroopers to both survive. I'm not sure how yet. But I'm not just going to sit back while everyone kills each other."

Phasma doesn't say anything for several moments.

"FN, I..."

The core, begins to glow. Both sit up, and stare at each other. Finn pulls out the detonator. The bomb he planted still sit on the side of the Core, small red light blinking. Both Finn and Phasma are still for a moment.

"...no you don't!" Phasma lunges for him.

Finn tries to press the button, but Phasma slaps the detonator out of his hand. It rolls across the walkway. Finn leaps up and dashs for it. Phasma tackles him.

***

The Raddus

The Supremacy's cannon's take aim at the Raddus.

"Full throttle to starboard!" Ackbar commands.

The Raddus twists to the side as the first of the cannons' blasts fires. The laserbolt tears through the side of the Raddus, ripping off large portions of its armor.

Inside, crewmen go flying. Breaches tear open in the ship's hull.  Several crewmen are ripped out into space. Others get smashed up and down corridors.

Ackbar tumbles from of his command chair. Leia just barely manages to stay upright. At length, the ship settles. Leia helps Ackbar up, and the officers lumber to their feet. One officer looks at his screen.

"We took too much damage from that last hit. We can barely fly, much less dodge the next one." He reports, dejected.

Leia grips Ackbar's shoulder looking sad. He looks back at her and sighes.

"We did our best." He says.

"We did." Leia confirms.

The cannons refocus on the Raddus.

***

Finn kicks Phasma off him. He scrambles for the detonator, as it sides. It reaches the edge of the platform. Finn dives for it. The detonator rolls off, and falls down, towards oblivion. Finn snatches it out of the air.

"No!" Phasma says, throwing herself at him.

Finn presses the button.

The bomb explodes. The Core console is blown apart in a fiery explosion, and the transparent pillar shatters. Blue energy explodes outward, throwing Finn and Phasma back into the exterior wall.

***

The Raddus

The entire crew of the Raddus watches as the Supremacy's cannons go dead.

"...they did it." Ackbar exclaims.

The crew cheers. They hug those nearest them, and let out cries of triumph. Leia smiles at first, but then her face falls one more.

"Princess?" Ackbar asks, worriedly.

"I told you not to call me that anymore..." She says, voice distance.

"General...Leia. What is it?"

But she can't hear him. Leia gets flashes of images: Kylo Ren trapped between two blazing lights, one Green and one Red. Rey, surrounded by crackles of lighting. Luke struggling to stand. And ever Resistance ship falling one by one.

She gasps, blinking as she gains her bearings.

"...Leia?" Ackbar said, worry thick in his voice.

She shakes her head. "I'm...fine. But we're not."

Ackbar nods.  "We're dead in the water. They may not have their big guns, but I'm not sure what we do now."

Leia doesn't say anything for a moment. "...can we evacuate?"

"Escape on shuttles?" Ackbar shrugs. "There's still a few corvettes, they might be able to cover us long enough to get past the fleet."

"It won't be enough." Leia says. "Look at all the star destroyers out there."

"I..." Ackbar looks down. "I'm out of strategies. The First Order...Thrawn...they outmaneuvered us."

Leia looks back out the window at the Supremacy.

"...the only family I have left is on that ship. And...I think if I don't do something to help them, they're all going to die. Along with the Resistance."

The Supremacy's smaller, but still quite large, turbolasers engage. They fire, slamming into the Raddus. The ship rumbled under the unshielded attack. corvettes, move to take the brunt of the blows, but its a futile tactic.

In spite of everything, the slimmest of smiles cracks her lip.

"Get everyone to the transports. As, my husband would've said, the game isn't over until all the cards are on the table. And we still have one last card to play..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.1K 298 54
The Head Technician of the First Order. An orphan from Corellia. Ree Keelor. One day, fixing a broken cooling system, the next, being taught how to w...
58.9K 860 35
I am currently doing preferences for the following: Kylo Ren Rey Finn Poe Luke Anakin Obi-Wan If you would like to request a one-shot or suggest for...
335 4 10
Hey guys I have re written my own story of the force awakens hope you enjoy
214 18 14
A ground-up rewrite of Episode VIII, in continuity with Force Awakens (although there may be some minor stylistic alterations). As a disclaimer, I do...