STAR WARS: EPISODE VII - THE...

By ChancellorMatt

I didn't like the Last Jedi. Had a lot of problems with how certain characters were handled, and missed oppor... More

Opening Crawl
One - Art
Three - Disappointments
Four - Grand Admiral
Five - The Cave
Six - Bad Memories
Seven - The Battle of Canto Bight
Eight - A Distraction Called Sight
Nine - Moving Rocks
Ten - Trapped Like Womprats
Eleven - The Battle of Crait
Twelve - The Last Jedi
Thirteen - Reunions and First Meetings
Fourteen - Storming the Supremacy
Fifteen - The Student and The Master
Sixteen - The Core
Seventeen - A Long Awaited Meeting
Eighteen - The Girl
Nineteen - Solo
Twenty
That's a Wrap
Concerning The Rise of Skywalker

Two - A Long Time

441 12 7
By ChancellorMatt

Ahch-to

Rey stands on the island summit, opposite the robed figure of Luke Skywalker. In her outstretched hand, she presents him the lightsaber. He stares down at it, brow furrowing. Save for a gust of an ocean breeze, there is only silence between the two. Rey shifts, uncomfortable.

"...what is that?" Luke finally asks.

"You're lightsaber." Rey replies.

"No it isn't."

"Yes. It is." Rey insists, waving it at him.

He leans in, looking closer. "It couldn't be..."

"It is."

"I...lost that lightsaber decades ago, on the cloud city of Bespin. Darth Vader chopped my hand off while I was holding it, and it fell into oblivion. Where in the galaxy did you find it?"

"In the basement of a dirty cantina." She says.

He raises an eyebrow. "How did it get there?"

"I don't know!" Rey says exasperated. "Look are you gonna take it or not? My arm is starting to get tired."

Luke hesitates, then reaches out and takes the lightsaber. He holds it gingerly, rolling it in his grip. He ignites the light-blue blade and stares at it.

"Never thought I'd see this again..." He says, with amazement.

Then, he looks at Rey, eyebrow quirking.

"Who exactly are you?" Luke asks.

"I'm Rey." She replies.

"Rey what?" Luke prods.

"Just Rey."

He shrugs. "Alright Rey, how did you find me?"

She nods back towards where she came from. "We found the map, and your droid filled in the rest."

Luke deactivates the lightsaber and studies her.

"Why you?" He eventually asks.

"Excuse me?"

"They could have sent anyone." Luke explains. "Han, Leia, Chewie. Hell, even Lando wouldn't be strange. But we've never met. Why would they send you, and not the others?"

Rey looks uncomfortable. "...actually Chewbacca is here. He's back at the ship."

"Well what are we doing sitting around on this mountain!? Let's go see him! I haven't seen that hairy guy in ages!"

"Al..alright." Rey says reluctantly.

Rey starts walking back the way she came, with Luke in tow. She keeps shooting glances over he shoulder at Luke, as if to make sure he's still there. Her glances are laced with not a small amount of awe.

"Stop that." He says.

"Stop what?"

He sighs. "Stop staring at me."

"Sorry. But...you're Luke Skywalker. You destroyed the Death Star! You fought Darth Vader and the Emperor and defeated them both! You single-handedly toppled the Empire! You're a legend!" She grows more excited with each word.

He shakes his head. "All of that happened years ago. I haven't been that man in a long time...a long time." He look distant for a moment.

"You're a Jedi master!" Rey insists.

His gaze flickers away. "Kid, I'm not really much of-"

Luke's next words die, as the Millennium Falcon comes into view. Luke stares at the ship, eyes widening.

"You came here...in the Millennium Falcon?" He says, troubled.

"Yes..." Rey says, uneasy.

"...where is Han Solo?" He says, seriously.

Before Rey has a chance to respond, the platform of the Millenium Falcon opens up. Out walks Chewbacca, with R2-D2 rolling in, next to him.

"Chewie! R2!" Luke runs down to the two, leaving Rey behind.

Chewbacca grabs Luke into a crushing hug. Luke almost chokes from the strength of the the embrace. Chewbacca lets out a wookiee howl.

"M-missed you too, buddy." Luke gasps out.

Finally Chewbacca puts Luke down. Luke smiles at the wookiee, then turns to R2-D2. He crouches down and puts a hand on R2-D2's top.

"And how have you been, old friend?"

R2-D2 beeps animatedly.

Luke laughs. "You aren't looking too young yourself."

Luke then stands back and looks at the two of them. He smiles at first. But after a moment, the expression falls.

"Chewie...where's Han?"

Chewbacca looks down, and purrs sadly. R2-D2 also releases a sad beep. The concern on Luke's face is growing. Rey walks over and looks up at him. Her eyes are sorrowful.

"No..." Luke says.

"I'm sorry..." She says. "But...Han Solo is dead."

Luke drops to his knees. His eyes are wide with shock. He doesn't say anything for several moments.

"H-How?" He stammers.

Rey looks away, on the verge of tears.

"He was killed by...Kylo Ren."

Luke looks up, astonished. Then after a moment, he looks back down, pain on his face.

"Ben..." He sobs. "...what have you done?"

Luke Skywalker begins to cry.

***

It is several hours later. Luke, Rey, Chewbacca, and R2-D2 are gathered around a campfire not far from the Falcon. Luke is staring into the flames, expression sullen. Rey is looking at him, uncertainty on her face.

"How did you know Han?" He finally asks.

Rey looks surprised by the question.

"I...met him when I stole his ship." she laughs sadly. "We'd just found the map you'd left in a droid and were trying to take it to the Resistance. When Han found us and discovered we were looking for you, he helped us out. He taught me a lot in that time. He was a good mentor, and an even better pilot."

Luke nods, still looking into the flames.

"Tell me about...how it happened." He says.

Rey sighs. "The First Order built a superweapon..."

Luke scoffs. "They're good at that, The Empire. Or whatever they want to call themselves, these days."

"It was planet-sized base, that could destroy several worlds at a time."

Luke finally looks at her, surprise on his face.

"We destroyed it." She says quickly.

"When are they gonna learn to stop making Death Stars..." he mumbles to himself. "I'm sorry, go on."

"Kylo Ren captured me, and brought me to the base. So Han and Finn came to save me-"

"Finn?" Luke asks.

"He's a stormtrooper...or used to be." Rey explains.

Luke blinks.

"He's on our side though." She explains. "He's saved me more than once."

Luke shrugs and motions for her to continue.

"We were about to leave...but Han saw Kylo Ren. Han thought he could convince him to come back with him. He...he was wrong. Kylo Ren...stabbed his own father through the chest."

Luke puts his head into his hands. Rey stares at him for a while longer, before turning to look into the fire. They sit in silence for some time. Eventually Luke looks at her.

"Is that why they sent you?" He asks."Because you saw it happen?"

Rey chews her lip. "That's part of the reason. I think Leia wanted to come too. But the Resistance needs her. "

Luke nods. "She always did put duty first."

"There's..." Rey starts,"...another reason I'm the one that came here."

Luke gives her a quizzical look. Rey sighs and looks around. She focuses on a rock near the fire. She raises a hand towards the rock, breathes, and closes her eyes. The rock starts to rattle. Luke sits up straight. Slowly, the rock begins to rise off the ground. He stares at it, wide-eyed. The rock falls to the ground. Rey exhales, and looks frustrated.

"It doesn't work always, and it's really hard when it does." She says.

"You can use the force." Luke says, with surprise.

Rey nods slowly.

He doesn't say anything for a moment. "You came here so that you could bring me back and so I could train you to use the force?"

"Yes." Rey confirms.

Luke is quiet again.

"...no."

"No!?" Rey asks, incredulous.

"No." Luke says firmly, this time.

"Why not?"

"Why not!? You just told me my last student killed my best friend! Why would you even want to be taught by me!?"

"Because you're Luke Skywalker!"

"Don't!" He pauses, catching himself. "Don't...say that like it means anything anymore. I'm sorry, but you'll have to find someone else."

"There is no one else!" Rey exclaims, growing angry. "You're the last Jedi!"

"The Jedi were not the only ones that could use the force. Look hard enough and you'll probably find someone that can teach you its ways."

"Like who? Kylo Ren!?"

Luke winces. Rey glares at him.

"It's not that I don't want to help you Rey. It's that I don't think I can anymore. I'm not the man I used to be."

He pulls out his lightsaber she gave him earlier.

"I'm sorry. But I'm not fit to teach anyone anymore." Luke says, sadly.

He holds out the lightsaber to her. She refuses to take it. He sighs and puts it back in his cloak. He walks up the hill, to a house on the side of the mountain. He walks inside and slams the door shut. Rey is left looking very confused, and very alone.

***

Crait

Finn walks through the halls of the Resistance base. He comes to a stop at door that opens of its own volition. He steps inside to see Admiral Ackbar sitting at a table.

"Have a seat Finn."

Finn walks over and sits down, looking excited.

"Do you finally have an assignment for me? Is it a secret infiltration mission? Sneaking behind the enemy lines, that kind of thing? Or maybe-"

"-Finn." Ackbar says, cutting him off. "This is not about a mission for you. Rather, it's why you haven't been assigned to any."

"Oh." Finn says. "Why is that?"

Ackbar sighes. "I suppose I'll get right to it Finn. There have been some questions about...loyalty."

"Loyalty?" Finn asks confused.

"Because of the nature of...you previous, rather recent, line of work."

Finn hesitates. "...because I was a stormtrooper?"

"Yes." Ackbar confirms."

"So you don't know if you can trust me is that it?" Finn says with disappointment. "What, do you think I might be some kind of spy or something?"

"No one is calling you a spy. You did help us destroy Starkiller Base, after all. We are fully convinced that you left the First Order and do not plan to return. However, there remain some concerns about your former position as a Stormtrooper."

"What kind of concerns?"

"We are wondering how capable you are of fighting men you once called friends, and allies."

"You didn't get friends as a stormtrooper. Just squadmates. If they died you left their bodies in the mud. I didn't hesitate to shoot my way out of a star destroyer to save Poe." He shakes his head, more to himself than the Admiral. "Trust me, I have no one I'd call friends in the First Order, and I'm not a stormtrooper anymore."

"Nevertheless, it is all you have ever known. So you can understand us being hesitant about how we will make use of you."

Use me however you like Admiral." Finn's expression grows weary. "I came here because I wanted to do the right thing."

"We will....consider. You must understand that trust takes time to build."

Finn looks down. "Is that all?"

"Yes, I think we're done here."

Finn gets up and leaves.

***

Ahch-to

The next morning Rey is lays next to the dying embers of the fire, still asleep. Chewbacca is up and chewing on eating something. R2-D2 next to him, beeps quietly. The two of them are having an unintelligible conversation. Luke approaches from further up the island. He sits down next to Rey. She moans and opens her eyes. She sits up, and looks at Luke. He hands her a cup of green milk. She takes it and starts to drink.

"You still haven't left." Luke says.

"No." She replies.

"Not going to give up that easy then?" He asks.

"No."

Luke sighs. "Why do you want to learn to use the force, Rey?"

"Do you...want the short answer or the long one?"

"The long one. I'm not going anywhere." Luke says.

She pauses before replying. "I grew up on a desert planet out in middle of nowhere. I had to fight to survive. Sometimes I couldn't eat. My earliest memory there, is being abandoned. I've always thought I was nobody, that I was worthless. That...I didn't matter. But when I finally left that place...when Kylo Ren captured me...I found something, inside myself. All of a sudden I wasn't nobody. I wasn't worthless. I felt like I had a place in the universe for the first time in my life, even if I didn't know what exactly that place was. I want to learn the force because that's the only way I can find out who I'm supposed to be."

Luke smiles, wistfully. "You know, I was born on a desert planet too."

"Really?"

Luke nods. "Tatooine. Moisture farming. I couldn't wait to get away from that place. I was half convinced I never would. But then one day my uncle bought a couple of old droids, one with a message of a princess in trouble, asking for a Jedi named Obi-Wan Kenobi. Well I found Ben Kenobi and together we set off to help that princess. Ben taught me all he could of the force in the time we had. After he died, I was sure I'd never be a Jedi. But, eventually I found Yoda, an old Jedi master on Dagobah. The two of them taught me everything I know about the force. Without them I never would have amounted to much more than a moisture farmer. But...I'm not Ben Kenobi, and I'm not Yoda. I couldn't bring back the Jedi like I wanted to. In the end all I did was created a monster: Kylo Ren."

"I don't want to be trained by Ben Kenobi or Yoda." Rey says "I want to be trained by Luke Skywalker! Kylo Ren made his choice. Just because he turned to the dark doesn't mean that I will too. Please! Just show me how I can get control of this thing I can do."

Luke stares at her thoughtfully. "What do you think the force is Rey?"

"Its something Jedi used to move rocks and control people." Rey says.

Luke lets out a chuckle. "No. The force isn't just something the Jedi used. It's something they were a part of. Something we're all a part of. It holds the universe in balance, and binds all things together. its an all present, all penetrating energy field. In short...there's a lot more to it than just moving rocks."

"Well maybe I'd know that if you'd actually teach me." Rey retorts.

"Not gonna happen." Luke says.

"If you don't want to help me, then fine. But at least come back with me and help fight the First Order. The Resistance needs you!"

Luke shakes his head. "I can't do that anymore I'm not..." he pauses, searching for the words. "...look my days of being a hero are over. There are plenty of people you could use that are a better choice than me. I'm sorry but I can't fight your war for you. What, do you think I'm just gonna take on an army by myself?"

"No, but you could at least help!" She insists.

"It's not..." He sighs. "It's not that simple."

"What about your sister?" Rey points out. "Leia's waiting for you."

Luke looks away, not replying. Rey sits back, frustrated. For a moment the only sound is that of the waves against the island. Eventually Rey stands up, and storms off. Chewbacca and R2-D2 are staring at Luke. He shifts uncomfortably.

"What?" He asks.

R2-D2 beeps something.

"No R2...I can't just...I wish I could but..."

Chewbacca growls pointedly.

"Hey, that's not fair! I-"

Chewbacca growls further, gesturing at Rey.

Luke looks at the girl with new interest. "...Han said that about her?"

Chewbacca growls in affirmation.

Luke keeps staring but shakes his head. "All the more reason not to. Still, I better say something..." Luke gets up. "...but I'm not training her."

He walks after Rey. She glances back at him, still looking angry.

"Follow me." He says.

"You'll train me?" She asks,perking up.

"No." He says firmly.

She looks disappointed.

"...but, I will show you something. This way."

He walks off, and Rey quickly follows.

***

Luke leads Rey up to a cliff on the side of the island. The cliff overlooks the ocean. Waves crash against the rocks below. Just beneath the surface of the water, sits Luke's X-wing. Rey sees the ship and looks like she wasn't to ask, but bites her tongue. There is a large, flat rock near the edge of the cliff. Luke walks over to it.

"Sit there." Luke says, indicating the rock.

Rey sits.

"What are we going to-" She starts to say.

"Close your eyes." Luke orders.

Rey sighs, but closes her eyes.

"Now reach out."

Rey reaches out her hand.

"Not with your hand." Luke says, bemused. "With your feelings."

"Oh." Rey drops her hand. She gets a concentrated look on her face.

"Now, what do you feel?" Luke asks.

"...nothing?"

"You're trying too hard. Let yourself become part of your surroundings. Feel the waves of the sea the flow of the wind..."

Rey takes a breath and lets it out.

She sees the island from an aerial view in her mind.

"I see it...the island."

"Good. What else?"

Images of the grass, trees, and various critters on the island.

"I feel...the plants and the animals."

"Keep going." Luke encourages.

Images of the dirt below the island, followed by buried bones, then sprouting flowers.

"I feel the dirt, and the bones in the dirt. It's...not just life, it's death, and rebirth. It's all part of the endless cycle."

"Yes." Luke says. "The force exists in all things. It's touching us at every moment, all of us. You're just one of the ones who can feel it, who can reach out and touch the strings. You can influence the flow of the universe, even if just in very small ways. It is a weighty responsibility, one that consumes far too many who receive it. After seeing that do you really still want me to-"

"-Wait." Rey says, cutting Luke off. "There's another place...a cave."

There is an image of a cave in the side of the island. It is pitch-black inside. There are withered, grotesque vines growing out from it."

Luke looks concerned. "...that's the darkness. It balances out the light. They are opposites. You don't want to go there. Pull away from it, Rey."

The cave seems to whisper.

"Its...calling to me."

"Rey don't go in there!" Luke shouts.

The image of the cave moves closer, multiple whispers layering over each other.

"It...has something I want..."

"Rey no!"

The darkness starts to consume the vision. The stone begins to crack beneath Rey. Luke looks frantic.

"I can feel-"

*SMACK*

Rey blinks her eyes opened, stunned. Luke is standing there with an outstretched hand. There is horror in his eyes.

"It was drawing you in.... you...you didn't even try to fight it..." He explains, horrified.

"I just-" Rey stammers.

"You were just what!?" Luke exclaims. "Trying to become another Kylo Ren!?"

"I...I just wanted to know..." Rey says quietly.

Luke shakes his head, looking down.

"I'm sorry...this is my fault. I shouldn't even have shown you this much."

He turns and starts to walk away.

"Wait!" Rey cries.

Luke keeps walking.

Rey looks down, defeat in her eyes. But, then she sits up with a look of realization.

"Where...where were you?" She asks, suddenly.

Luke stops in his tracks.

"I felt this entire island. Everything on it, alive or dead. But not you."

Luke turns around slowly. His face is in shadows.

"What...happened to you?" Rey asks, with shock.

Luke sighs.

"I can no longer feel the force. I'm cut off from it. I have been since...since the day Kylo Ren and a handful of my students, murdered all the others."

"That's why you didn't want to teach me..." Rey says, the truth dawning on her. "You can't even feel the force yourself, let alone teach it. That's the real reason you don't want to help, with me, with the war. You aren't a Jedi anymore...you're just an old man now..."

Rey's voice trails off. She looks at Luke as if she sees him for the first time. Luke is quiet for what seems like eternity.

"...I came to this island because its all that's left of an ancient Jedi temple. I thought meditating here might reconnect me with the force. But I was wrong. Even after searching for so long, I haven't been able to find a way to restore my abilities. A part of me wishes I could help you Rey. But the truth is...I can't even help myself."

Luke walks away, leaving Rey alone on the cliff.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 106 16
Based on Star Wars ep. VII: The Force Awakens. "You... you're afraid." I say looking back at him defyingly. "That you'll never be as strong as Darth...
107 14 14
Canon Compliant "fix-it" that takes place in between episodes 8 and 9. (I wanted the challenge lol) Anyway this got 16k views on Ao3 in a month, and...
214 18 14
A ground-up rewrite of Episode VIII, in continuity with Force Awakens (although there may be some minor stylistic alterations). As a disclaimer, I do...
2.9K 157 53
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... The Resistance tried to attack the First Order but it failed. Many are dead, many are prisoners and only...