The Knight's Rose

By honeyasher

Many centuries ago, in the kingdom of Chuvaria lived a young poor maiden named 'Rose Van Sparrow'. Rose and h... More

Coming Soon
Prologue
Chapter One ~ The Sprout of the Rose
Chapter Two ~ The Colors of a Rose
Chapter Three ~ The Name of a Rose
Chapter Four ~ The Thorns of a Rose
Chapter Five ~ The Petals of a Rose
Chapter Six ~ The Stem of the Rose
Chapter Seven ~ The Tears of a Rose
Chapter Eight ~ The Veil of a Rose
Chapter Nine ~ The Defender of a Rose
Chapter Eleven ~ The Kiss of a Rose
Chapter Twelve ~ The Arrow of a Rose
Chapter Thirteen ~ The Protector of a Rose
Chapter Fourteen ~ The Cry of a Rose
Chapter Fifteen ~ The Cry of a Primrose ~ Part One
Chapter Sixteen ~ The Cry of a Primrose ~ Part Two
Chapter Seventeen ~ The Cry of a Primrose ~ Part Three
Chapter Eighteen ~ The Savior of a Rose
Chapter Nineteen ~ The Imprisonment of a Rose
Chapter Twenty ~ The Truth of a Rose
Chapter Twenty-One ~ The Blossom of a Rose
Chapter Twenty-Two ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part One
Chapter Twenty-Three ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Four ~ The Struggle of a Rose ~ Part Three
Chapter Twenty-Five ~ The Kidnapping of a Rose
Chapter Twenty-Six ~ The Unspoken Emotions of A King
Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ The Bravery of a Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Eight ~ The Bravery of a Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ The Bravery of a Rose ~ Part Three
FAN ART
Chapter Thirty ~ The Scent of His Rose ~ Part One
Chapter Thirty-One ~ The Scent of His Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Thirty-Two ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part One
Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Thirty-Four ~ The Search of His Rose ~ Part Three
Chapter Thirty-Five ~ The Roots of a Rose ~ Part One
Chapter Thirty-Six ~ The Roots of a Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Thirty-Seven ~ The Roots of a Rose ~ Part Three
Chapter Thirty-Eight ~ The Fight of a Rose
Chapter Thirty-Nine ~ The Taking of a Rose
Chapter Forty ~ The Calmness of a Rose
Chapter Forty-One ~ The Pursuit of a Rose
Chapter Forty-Two ~ The Saving of a Rose ~ Part One
Chapter Forty-Three ~ The Saving of a Rose ~ Part Two
Chapter Forty-Four ~ The Growth of a Rose

Chapter Ten ~ The Book of a Rose

5.9K 297 89
By honeyasher

Chapter Ten ~ The Book of a Rose

All Rights Reserved.

⤝O⤞

The brown pair of eyes belonged to none other than the same man who was currently overworking my father. The one who made us move out to the grasslands, just to sell our house in order to repay him, yet it still wasn't enough. The one who was once my father's friend, but now was slowly chipping away at my father's happiness.

Mr. Arnold Gales.

He blinked at me a few times, and I froze, hoping he wouldn't recognize me. But when his lipless mouth formed into a snooty smile, I knew he realized it was me. Mr. Gale was a tall man with a pudgy stomach, something people acknowledged as a symbol of wealth. He had straw-like brown hair that was slicked backward with a few grey strands. His face was littered with a few wrinkles here and there, showing off his old age. All in all, he looked a low class noble, something that he definitely was.

His brown eyes lingered on me before they moved to look behind me. Or at someone.

Nikolai.

Goodness, I hope he didn't tell my father that I was out gallivanting with a strange man.

How scandalous.

His eyes narrowed at my and Nikolai's interlaced hands, before turning back to look at me.

"Rose," Mr. Gales said, nodding his head.

"Mr. Gales," I replied, removing my hand from Nikolai's to curtsy. Mr. Gales looked toward Nikolai, expecting him to acknowledge him. But when Nikolai didn't make any indication that he would greet him or cared about his presence, he turned back to me.

"I didn't know you had business in this part of town. Does your father know that you're here?" he asked, making me tense. I hoped he wouldn't expose me in front of Nikolai, just as much as I hoped he didn't tell my father about my whereabouts.

This man could literally ruin everything. Not that he hadn't already ruined my life. I couldn't help but hate Mr. Gales a bit for making father work so hard and forcing us to move to the middle of nowhere.

But if it wasn't for him, then my mother would have suffered even more than she had already. He provided my father with the help, now it was up to us to pay our due.

"Y-Yes, he does," I hastily lied, my eyes darting anywhere but his face. I wasn't a very good liar. But I hoped my words were sufficient enough to trick him.

"Ah, I see," Mr. Gales said, nodding his head. "And this young fellow is?"

"This is Sir. Nikolai. He's a royal guard at the castle," I answered quickly. "He was just showing me to the Bibliotheca."

"I didn't know you could read, Rose," Mr. Gales commented, lifting an eyebrow.

Drats.

"I can read. It is rather easy," I told him, nodding my head and hoping that I sounded convincing. We still stood in the doorway of the Bibliotheca and I could practically smell the ink from where I stood. So close yet so far away.

"Well, I would imagine a pretty little thing like you would be able to learn the arts of education," Mr. Gales said, nodding to himself as he eyed me up and down. His stare wasn't one of arrogance, but one of hunger, and it was terribly uncomfortable.

I felt Nikolai reach for my hand again, and he then began to pull me past Mr. Gales. It was as if Mr. Gales didn't exist and we had merely stopped for me to converse with a stone wall. The only indication that Nikolai let on was the narrowed look he gave Mr. Gales before turning back to look ahead.

I bowed my head at Mr. Gales before proceeding on with Nikolai, who's large hand warmed my small one. We walked down the marble hallways, with glass windows on both sides of the hall. The ceilings were adorned with hanging torches that would be lit at night, something that I wouldn't have the pleasure of witnessing. We reached a brown double door, and Nikolai opened it, allowing me to step in first.

My eyes immediately fell on the immense stack of books that lined the shelves. The room was brightly lit by the enormous windows that revealed the grassy hills. Under the large windows, were cushioned seats.

The high ceilings were held up by brown wood, making a decorative pattern. There was a second level that I could see, from where I stood, that lead to even more shelves of books. There were patterned designed amber banister made from sleeked wood. At the end of the room was a table with four seats, and a row of bookcases beside it.

The smell of paper full of inked words wafted my nose and I could literally taste the knowledge that filled every page.

It was pure heaven. I was in love and all giddy on the inside even though I didn't know how to read. Just the sight of it made me want to cry yet roll around the floor screaming.

I promise I'm not insane.

I could feel my face breaking into a wide smile, and a feeling of joy rushed throughout my body, shocking me into a state of content. I didn't even know where to look or where to go. I turned to Nikolai, whose expression wasn't cold no longer, he instead had a calm look on his face. He stared down at me with a small smile, chuckling at my happiness.

"You can go look around," he told me, releasing my hand. I thanked him before turning back to the room, wondering where I should step first. It would be so lovely to find a picture book, then I'd actually know what's happening in the book. I wanted to learn how to read so badly, and I'd give almost anything just to be taught.

Hopefully, I'd be able to teach myself.

How hard could it be? I already knew most of the letters, all I had to do was guess the rest and connect them together.

My thoughts collapsed within each other, trying to keep up with my hyperactive mind. I walked, well actually skipped, to one of the shelves, my hands running over their spines. I forgot Nikolai was even with me, and simply indulged myself in the feeling of being surrounded by books.

That I couldn't read.

Gosh, I do love to stomp on my own parade.

I reached out for a brown book and pulled it from the shelves. I held it in my uninjured hand gently, as if though it would turn into a dust if I applied the slightest of pressures. After holding it for a while, I opened it slowly and my eyes immediately scanned the words on the page.

Goodness, did they add more letters to the alphabet? I didn't recognize anything. All the letters were unrecognizable and I grimaced when I realized teaching myself would be harder than I thought. I was completely immersed in trying to read that I didn't notice Nikolai walking toward me.

Once he was behind me, I froze, hoping he wouldn't ask me to read what I couldn't even understand.

"You can read Latin?" I heard Nikolai ask, and I looked at him confused. Where would I get a- Oh. I looked back at the book and almost snorted when I realized that it was in different language.

Silly me.

"Oh no! I... was just interested in knowing how it looked like," I responded quickly, putting the book back. I could see Nikolai smiling from the corner of my before he reached out for my hand. He held it gently in his before turning me to look at him.

"Vos sunt et pulchrior quam rosa," he muttered, pushing a few strands of hair behind my ears. My ear grew hot at his touch, and my heart beat out of control from the gesture. (You are more beautiful than a rose.)

"What does that mean?" I questioned.

"I'll tell you later," he replied and began to walk me toward the stairs, leading to the second floor. The wooden stairs were slightly creaky but still stable under our weight. The upstairs was even grander than the first level. The floors were polished wooden floorboards, and there were tables with chairs along the side. There were variations of different shelves, with colorful books.

This time I'd do it right.

Nikolai released my hand and gestured toward the waiting shelves. I nodded at him with a smile, and walked past him, heading toward the first shelf in front of me. I allowed my hands to run across the hard spines before pulling out a blood red book.

When I recognized a few letters of the alphabet, I sighed in relief and looked at the cover in awe. It was decorated on the sides with small symbols of black swirls. I looked at the letters and tried to read the title.

Hm, these words were rather huge.

I stared at the cover intently, hoping maybe I'd even hear a voice in my head, telling me the words. I heard Nikolai walk up behind me and I tensed, hoping again that he wouldn't ask me to read.

I looked back to his beautiful face, his brown hair were in curls, and the framed his sharp face shape. They covered his stoney jawlines, and I watched as he brushed his hair away from his forehead.

His blue eyes glowed as they fell on the title of the book in my hands. Perhaps, this was his favorite book? His pink plump lips quirked up in a smile, and he tried to helplessly cover it by biting his lip.

"Rose, you have a rather unique taste in books," Nikolai told me, his wide muscular shoulders trembled slightly.

"Oh? Well, I'm very intrigued in this sort of subject," I lied, flipping the book open. I opened to an image and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets. There in front of me was a picture of a man and a woman doing something unspeakable.

I closed the book immediately, my head slowly lowering, trying to forget what I just saw. My hair fell against my burning cheeks, and I could feel myself getting flustered.

"I didn't know you were interested in The Wonderment of Fornication: The Science of Reproduction," Nikolai said, taking the book from my hands. "Quite an intriguing subject it is."

"Oh? Well, I'm very intrigued in this sort of subject."

Me and my big mouth.

Nikolai let out a burst of laughter, and it would have been the best sound if it hadn't been directed at me. I watched as he laughed for a full minute, his hair falling down against his cheeks, and his eyes crinkling with amusement.

Not able to take the shame no longer, I turned around and headed toward the stairs. I was such a joke and a time waster. I've probably lost all the respect Nikolai had for me, and after he was finished laughing, he'd probably make fun of me for not being able to read.

Better leave before I can embarrass myself even more.

Tears stung my eyes at my lack of capability and stupid excitement. Why was reading so hard?

I made it toward the stairs just as Nikolai grabbed my wrist. He was no longer laughing and his face had turned back to its neutral self. The only indication that showed he had been laughing was the amusement that danced in blue cerulean eyes.

"Where are you going, Rose?"

"Home. I'd rather not be shamed no longer."

"Shamed? For whatever reason?"

"I think you've already seen past my fib and noticed that I cannot read," I said, my eyes not meeting his.

"So?" Nikolai asked, making me turn to look at him in confusion.

"So, I lied and wasted your time, and have caused myself unnecessary embarrassment that will last me a lifetime. I'd rather not be laughed at, thank you very much," I told him, trying to pull my hand away from his. But he held on.

"I beg your pardon for laughing. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, I just assumed you'd also find it quite amusing that the second book you pulled out was about the acts of a married couple," Nikolai said, his mouth quirking up into a smile. "You haven't wasted my time, in fact, I'm having the greatest of times. I'm really glad it was you that gave me your handkerchief."

I blushed at his words, not knowing what to say. He managed to say the sweetest of things that always left me speechless. It's a good thing he spoke before I could or else I would have rambled about how perfect he was.

"Do you want to learn how to read, Rose?" he asked me, looking at the shelves behind him.

"Very much so," I said, way too eagerly. I coughed once, twice before replying again. "It would be pleasant if I could."

Nikolai let out another chuckle before replying.

"I can teach you."

⤝O⤞

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

190 4 20
Louis is hopelessly and desperately in love with his best friend Jacob. He manages by pining from afar, but unfortunately, those feelings finally ove...
301K 24.2K 52
♛ The Mafia King & The Royal Princess ♛ "You are always being so optimistic, bright and cheerful." He says, staring at me intensely with his magical...
724 79 45
'You've been fighting for some many years that you've long forgotten your motives and your reasons. You fight only to fight, not even seeing the goal...
39.9K 976 38
By the title of this story, you can see it's a love story. Where a man met a woman and they fell in love. When they met, he couldn't understand why...