A Starship Called Starsong

By CrystalScherer

Computer updates are simple, right? Apparently, that's not always the case when it involves a Spaceship's AI... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 4

13.1K 1.3K 217
By CrystalScherer

I groaned as I raised my hand slowly to my head. I had a splitting headache. Simply calling it a migraine didn't cover it. It was, by far, the worst headache I had ever had. It's official, oxygen deprivation is worse than ten hangovers combined.

My arms and legs ached, aftereffects of the ordeal. I saw no point in sitting up at the moment, and I squinted into the bright corridor lighting from where I lay on the floor. Headaches and light really do not go well together...

The airlock doors were still closed, but the light on the access panel was green, showing that it would open the moment someone approached it. I tried to recollect my thoughts as my hazy mind spun lazily in circles. I never realized just how hard this floor is...

I groaned as I forced myself into a sitting position. My muscles protested, and I leaned against the wall as I got a bit light-headed. The light-headedness didn't reduce the headache though, which was a pity.

I dragged out my Analyzer and opened the system status page. I blinked in disbelief as I scrolled through the list of green lights showing that all of the systems were operational. Logan or one of the computer techs must have managed to reverse the upgrade after all.

The tickets had reclassified themselves as minor now that the systems were back up. I shook my head as I pressed a few buttons to see what was first on my plate. Work didn't stop due to a headache, especially considering that we had been in an emergency situation such a short time ago.

Now I know why most ships wait until they are at a port to do any upgrades... My Analyzer did most of my decision-making for me, and by the time it finished organizing the tasks, my headache had started to fade to something more manageable.

Mack had already been assigned to the air systems previously, and everything on my screen said they were working, so the machine skipped right over that one. We would have to visit each area to ensure that the status page was accurate before we could close the tickets.

Ironically, the agricultural area was first on my list due to their delicate plants and systems. With a deep breath, I staggered to my feet. I leaned against the wall as the world spun for a few moments before settling. My next Happy-Birthday-to-me present is going to be a mini portable oxygen tank that fits in my pocket...

I didn't quite manage a speed walk on my way back. Thankfully, the headache was rapidly abating, which was a welcome relief. I kept my eyes open for anyone else who may need help in the corridor, but the corridors were empty and I didn't see anyone.

The door to the agricultural area opened up as I approached it. Heads turned in my direction as I entered the room. Cynthia took one look at me and ran forward. "Rachel! Are you okay?!"

I wonder if that is her code word for 'you look like shit.' The Overseer headed in my direction while others watched in concern. I reassured them. "I am sure that I must have had worse days, but I really cannot remember them at the moment."

The Overseer gestured me towards a seat near the console. "Sit down before you fall over."

Perhaps it is a good thing that they didn't see me earlier. I felt much more recovered now than I had before. My legs weren't even shaking at this point, although a few minutes of rest would be welcome. I sat down a bit more heavily than I had intended, and I was pretty sure that they noticed it. I asked, "Is everything working?"

Cynthia sighed in relief as she realized that I was clearly in the land of the living. She replied, "One of the techs managed to get into a backup room and uninstalled the upgrade. Every area is back up and running now that the lockdown is off."

The Overseer spoke, "I have managed to contact most of the other Overseers. No casualties have been reported yet, although there were a few close calls. The ship had started to vent the air out of some locations, so the people in larger rooms fared better. Considering how shaky you look, I suspect that you were in a smaller area."

I made a face at that memory. "I got trapped in a rather small section of the corridor. That was far too close of a call for my comfort."

Had that tech taken a couple more minutes, then the ship would have succeeded. I glanced at the console, but the displays were all fully functional. Pulling out my Analyzer, I scanned the console just to double check that everything was working properly.

The display was more helpful this time. :No malfunctions detected. Suggest replacing Module 4R in next two months due to deterioration.:

I pressed the shortcut button to turn it into a service ticket. I probably had at least two months to fix it. I closed the original emergency service ticket. The Overseer had been watching the display and looked relieved. She said, "That is good news. You likely have to check the other areas as well, correct?"

As much as I really wanted some painkillers for my fading headache and a nap, I knew what my duties were. I nodded. "Yes."

She considered it for a moment before turning to Cynthia. "Go with her. We can manage here since everything is working. I know you lack the training, but you may be able to lend a hand. If she collapses, then at least you can call for help."

I refrained from rolling my eyes. I was sure I didn't look that bad. I kept a polite expression on my face as I got to my feet. I knew the Overseer was worried about me and concerned for my health. Mack could have taken a few tips from this Overseer.

Cynthia wasted no time coming up beside me, inquiring, "Where are we heading next?"

A glance at the work tickets showed that the one for the air systems had been closed, so Mack must be on his feet as well. It worried me that the one for the thrusters hadn't been closed yet...

I tapped my communication device. "Rachel to Steve in Maintenance."

The device beeped to confirm my connection. "Steve, do you need any help with the thrusters?" Beep. The beep showed that my words had been relayed.

I waited for a response before becoming worried. "Steve, please respond so I know you aren't in medical distress." Beep.

Silence. The Overseer behind us suddenly spoke into her own communication device. "Nichole to Medical Bay." Beep. At least the line was open and they weren't flooded with too many requests to get through. I turned around to watch her.

She spoke again, "Please send a team ASAP to wherever Steve in Maintenance is. He is unresponsive and may require emergency medical assistance."

"His communication device is showing him as being located in the thruster mechanical room. A team is en route." The Medical Bay had the ability to track anyone on board by their communication device.

"Thank you." She looked up at me. "Head over there. You won't beat the medical team, but you should check the thrusters to ensure they are fully operational."

I nodded and started jogging for the door with Cynthia hot on my heels. A quick check of my mental map had me heading down one particular corridor. If I went this way, there was a good chance I would pass the medical team on their way back.

Cynthia ran beside me. "Slow down, I really don't want to have to call a medical team to come pick you up if you pass out on me."

I sent her a disbelieving look. "I am fine."

My headache had finally disappeared and I didn't feel that bad, just a light ache in my muscles. It is a pity that hangovers don't disappear this quickly...

Cynthia snorted. "Well, you look like you got run over by a garbage disposal unit."

Usually, Cynthia was the type of person to try and cheer you up or tell you that you didn't look that bad. This behavior was odd for her. "Do I really look that bad?"

She kept jogging beside me. "You have obviously not seen a mirror yet. You have black bags under your eyes, and you are as pale as a sheet. You look like you belong in the Medical Bay, not running around trying to fix stuff."

I shrugged uncomfortably. "Well, I don't feel that bad."

She huffed and puffed, clearly not used to jogging for so long. She said, "Well, I don't spend all day running around the ship, so slow down."

I could tell that she was concerned about me, and considering that a dull headache was making a re-appearance, I slowed down to a swift walk. Perhaps it would be best to not push myself too much over the next couple of days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

229K 9.7K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...
13.4K 2.7K 14
When Jennisa delivers a spaceship database to a suspicious group, she covertly takes a copy of the group's files when she helps them connect it. She...
8 1 1
Back in the late 1990's a great PC game came out called FREELANCER. It was an open galaxy adventure space game that had a good storyline. I spent u...
395K 9.8K 51
[COMPLETED] #Ranks : #14 on 30/11/18 (category : Ex) #17 on 29/6/19 ( category : adultromance) #57 on 29/6/19 ( category: Suspense) Excerpt : "I can...