Hart Hunter

By AngelaLott9

Shawn didn't have nearly enough episodes on Girl Meets World. So much of his relationship with Katy happened... More

Left and Found
Birthday Wishes
Kiwi Mango vs. Cinnamon Spice
First Date
Dating
Selling Clothes
Engaged
Recklessly Spontaneity
Newlyweds
Comfortable
Marriage
Caught Up
May 10th 2018 11am
Forgiveness

Family

351 6 0
By AngelaLott9

"Maya's birthday is coming up," Shawn said. "Do you have any idea what she wants?"

"Probably something I can't afford," Katy replied, with a smile. "Like usual."

"Ah, but maybe it's something we can afford," Shawn reminded her. "Like last time."

"Hey, I paid for most of that locket," Katy objected.

Grinning, Shawn pulled her close and kissed her. "My mistake," he said.

"Wow," Katy whispered. "You do realize what this means don't you?" Shaw shook his head. "It's been a year since we met."

"Is that all?" Shawn asked, genuinely surprised.

"You walked into the NightHawk diner on Maya's 14th birthday," Katy said. "And she turns 15th next week."

"Huh," Shawn remarked. "Feels like it's been longer."

"I know the feeling," Katy smiled back at him.

"So, any gift ideas?" Shawn asked. "Has she dropped hints that I've missed?"

"Probably," Katy replied. "But I shall have to try and figure that out later." She leaned forward and kissed him goodbye before reminding him that she was due on set.

"Good luck!" Shawn called back. "Break a leg."

Riley Matthew's couldn't be called subtle. Then again, Shawn would never expect such a thing from any child of his best friend. The first time Riley tried to casually mention his adopting Maya, Shawn knew exactly what was going on.

"I mean, technically it would be the most accurate," Riley continued.

"Changing the topic just for a moment," Shawn replied. "I did actually come here for a reason today."

"Oh?"

"Do you know what Maya wants for her birthday?" Shawn asked.

"A new daddy?" Riley said, looking up at him innocently. Like the rest of her hints Shawn pretended to ignore this, though it was nice to have his own inclinations confirmed by Riley's attempts to inspire it.

"Something purchasable," Shawn explained.

"Not clothes," Riley offered.

"Thanks," Shawn replied sarcastically. "Real helpful."

"No problem," Riley exclaimed. It was just unnatural for anyone to smile that much! Child of Cory's or not. Unnatural and highly annoying.

"Would you mind maybe asking her," Shawn tried in a calm voice. "Subtly without her knowing."

"Sure thing," Riley smiled. It was only as she was walking away that Shawn realized his mistake. Riley Matthew's wasn't subtle. Shawn turned around, but it was too late. Riley was talking to Maya. Shawn tried to sneak away, but the time for a quick exit had also passed.

"So, it's my birthday next week."

Shawn turned around to see his... daughter - he was still getting used to calling her that - looking up at him with a huge grin.

"Yes, I'm aware," Shawn replied.

"So..." Maya continued.

"So," Shawn echoed.

"What ya gonna get me?" Maya asked gleefully.

"How about Riley's head on a platter?" Shawn asked.

"As much fun as that sounds," Maya replied, ignoring Shawn's satire completely. "I was thinking more like a computer."

"Were you now?" Shawn inquired, his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah a laptop," Maya grinned. "One like Riley's."

"You just keep on wishing there kid," Shawn chuckled. "I gotta go meet up with your mom for lunch. See you back at home."

"Just remember," Maya said ominously. "Laptop."

And Shawn got out of there as fast as he could.

It was a strange kinda wonderful to watch his wife working on a movie set. Sure, it wasn't the biggest movie being made, but it was big enough. Shawn watched from the sidelines as Katy acted for the camera. He was so proud of her, and at the same time, a little nervous. It wasn't a rational feeling, and he knew there was no basis for it. Katy would love him even if she suddenly got famous.

When the director called cut and Katy was free to break, Shawn waved her over. After complimenting her on her performance and giving her a kiss hello, the two of them headed to lunch. Katy didn't have long so they got a couple hotdogs at a food stand and talked while they ate. Shawn told his wife how his search for Maya's birthday present had went.

"I don't know how I feel about getting her a computer," Katy said.

"She might never speak to us again," Shawn agreed, laughing.

"There might be something in what Riley said though," Katy mused.

"Really?" Shawn laughed, remembering Riley's eager face as she suggested Shawn get Maya a 'new daddy' for her birthday.

"Obviously, not literally," Katy replied. "But maybe start a tradition, something the two of you could do together every year on her birthday."

"Don't you mean the three of us?" Shawn asked.

"No, I mean the two of you," Katy smiled. "I think she'd really love that."

"But you're her mom," Shawn added skeptically. "I don't want to come between you two."

"Do you remember on our honeymoon when I said Maya was our daughter?" Katy asked.

"Yeah," Shawn replied smiling.

"Ours," Katy repeated, placing one of her hands on his face. "You are part of us. Besides, I've had more birthdays with her, and I know she'd love to spend one just with you."

"If you think so," Shawn replied.

"I know so," Katy grinned. As they finished eating, Katy returned to work. Shawn walked her back, then waved goodbye saying he'd see her back at home.

The idea of adopting Maya had been there in the back of Shawn's mind ever since his wedding. It wasn't technically possible to give Maya a 'new daddy' for her birthday, but Shawn had to admit he liked the idea of doing it in general. The idea settled in his chest, and the longer it was there, the more he liked the feeling. His daughter.

And he and his daughter needed to start a tradition. He thought about it for the rest of the day and much of the next week, eventually Shawn was sure he'd come up with the perfect thing.

"We're doing what?" Maya asked the morning of her birthday.

"I promise you'll love it," Shawn told her.

"Is mom coming?" Maya replied.

"If you want, I'm sure we could pursued her," Shawn explained. "But she said she'd be happy to sit this one out if you want it to be just us."

"Ha!" Maya scoffed. "Does mom know what the plan is? Cause if so, I think she just wants to avoid the exercise."

"She helped me come up with the plan," Shawn defended Katy.

"What happened to a computer?" Maya asked.

"You were never getting a computer and you know it," Shawn grinned. "But I promise you will like this."

"I promise you're wrong," Maya groaned, but she still collected her backpack and followed him out the door.

On the drive there, Shawn let Maya control the radio, which lead to him enduring two hours of truly terrible music. Shawn felt like when he was a teenager the music had been better and told Maya so, which lead to a very in depth discussion about music trends. When Shawn parked the car, they got out, collecting their gear as they went.

"Are you sure we have to do this?" Maya whined.

"Oh, come on," Shawn grinned. "This could be our new father/daughter tradition."

"Or you know we could bake a cake," Maya suggested. "Build something. Go to a sports game. You know like normal stuff."

"If you don't like this one," Shawn sighed. "Then next year you can pick the birthday activity."

"How can it be a tradition if we keep changing it?" Maya asked.

"I give up," Shawn laughed. "Just grab your bag and follow me."

With a great sigh, Maya did as she was bid. Shawn moved into the trees and onto the trail. The steps were made of wood so worn down by foot traffic as to look like they fit right into the ground. It was the one thing he missed about living at his cabin, the wonderful greenery and fresh air.

"Doesn't the air smell great?" Shawn asked.

"Oh yeah," Maya replied. "Real peachy."

Shawn decided she needed some time to fully appreciate their surroundings, and so they hiked in silence for a while. It was beautiful. Shawn made a point to appreciate every bright green leaf and patch of sunlight. There was something about the way a lush wood could make him feel that he'd always loved, but never been able to put into words.

"Are we there yet?" Maya asked.

"Not quite," Shawn chuckled. "Almost."

"My feet hurt," Maya whined. "And I've been bitten, by mosquitoes." She was walking just a foot behind him on his right, but still Shawn could tell from her tone of voice that she had that angry look on her face.

"Me too," Shawn laughed. "But you have to admit it's refreshing."

They kept going up the trail, passing small streams and follan logs on their way. There was peace in the simplistic natural of the woods. Some combination of the greenery, gentle noises and isolation from all things human never failed to relax the mind. Here away from the noises of the city life was elegance.

As Shawn took those few last steps up to their destination, he stopped to bask. Maya had fallen behind just a little so he had some time. The large open space before him was broken by mountains on one side, and a forest on the other. The sky was a light periwinkle blue. Looking down he could see a stream running through the trees, twisting and turning with the land. Everything close was bright and colourful, but the farther out he looked, the duller the colours became. This in no way diminished their beauty, and Shawn thought he could have stood here looking out at it for hours, if Maya hadn't joined him.

"Okay, I'll admit it," Maya said, her voice coming from his left. "It's beautiful."

"And I brought sandwiches!" Shawn grinned. Pulling his bag from his shoulders, Shawn laid out a blanket and began unpacking their picnic lunch.

"Maybe this isn't such a bad tradition," Maya admitted as she began eating, her eyes locked on their view.

Shawn couldn't keep a grin off his face for the rest of the day. After a rather easier hike down than it had been up, they went home to Katy, and Maya opened her present which was not a computer. Maya seemed happy enough with it, but Shawn sensed that like him, she valued their new tradition more.

Shawn couldn't wait to get home. Not long after his daughter's birthday, Shawn had been called into work to do an article way farther away than he would have liked. This whole being employed thing was starting to get on his nerves. The trip had given him some time to think however. He had been calling Maya his daughter now for quite a while, but even so, it didn't feel quite right to him. It wasn't like he was against the idea, but rather that he felt like he didn't have the right.

Shawn got in the usual hugs and kisses from his wife as he arrived home, and asked to be filled in on everything he'd missed. Katy had been filming a lot recently, and therefore cut back significantly on her hours at Topanga's.

"I feel bad for leaving Topanga on her own," Katy continued. "It's just not possible to do both all the time."

"I know the feeling," Shawn smiled. "Wouldn't it be great to be in two places at once?"

"Super convenient for sure," Katy replied.

"The problem would be merging back into one after," Shawn continued as if this was an actual thing that happened.

"How was your trip?" Katy asked, laughing at him a little.

"Fine," Shawn replied.

"Just fine?"

"Well actually I spent most of it thinking about Maya," Shawn admitted.

"Oh?"

Taking a deep breath, Shawn added. "I was wondering what you thought of... me maybe adopting her?"

When she didn't speak, Shawn tried not to panic. She was still smiling, looking up at him with those warm affectionate eyes he loved. Moving closer, Katy put her arms around him and kissed him deeply. Shawn could feel himself relax into her touch, his hands holding the small of her back like they alway did. There was such joy in kissing her.

"Should I take that as a yes?" Shawn asked.

"Of course," Katy whispered back. "I know it would mean everything to Maya."

"From Riley's actions, it certainly seems so," Shawn smiled. "Still, I know what she was wishing for on her 14th birthday, and sometimes I wonder..."

"If you're wondering about that," Katy said firmly. "Then you don't know what she was wishing for."

"What do you mean?"

"Maya got exactly what she was wishing for," Katy smiled.

"No, she didn't," Shawn said automatically. "She wanted her parents back together."

"No, she wanted you and me together," Katy countered. "She wanted us to be her parents, and you adopting her can only make her fairytale ending more assured."

Whatever air was in his lungs escaped in one moment of awe as Shawn processed what his wife was saying. He'd been so careful, telling her he cared for her mother and hoping it was alright with her. Shawn had felt like he'd been taking up someplace Maya had reserved for someone else, when in reality, it had been his all along.

"I can't believe you didn't know that," Katy was giggling at him.

"I didn't realize I'd become so much of a father to her that she no longer cared to know her own," Shawn whispered.

"Sweetheart," Katy replied softly. "She never cared to know her own. You didn't replace anyone. You stepped into a void."

"Well, I guess I've got quite a lot to live up to," Shawn chuckled, feeling oddly relieved and nervous at the same time.

"I know you're up for the challenge, my love," Katy replied.

"There is just one more person I want to talk to before we tell Maya," Shawn said.

"And who is that?" Katy asked.

"Do you remember me telling you about Mr. Turner?" Shawn asked. "Jon?"

"The teacher who took you in for a year, yeah."

"Well, he almost adopted me," Shawn explained.

Shawn was nervous. He couldn't help it. It was good having Katy sitting beside him, but even so knowing who he was about to meet made Shawn feel strange. How many years had it been since they'd seen each other? It had only been through Cory that he'd even known Jon's phone number.

"You're cute when your nervous," Katy told him, taking a sip of her latte.

"Love you too," Shawn replied without thinking. He wrapped both his hands around his hot latte trying not to think about how strange it would be to see Jon again after so many years. They were waiting in a cafe; Shawn's eyes fixed on the door.

"Relax," Katy told him. "Or you will bore a hole in the wall with your eyes."

"Sorry," Shawn chuckled. The laughter helped him relax a little. Shawn took a purposeful sip of his drink, waiting.

"Maybe being early wasn't such a good idea," Katy remarked, but just then all Shawn's staring paid off. Jon had just walked in the door. It didn't matter how many years it had been, Shawn recognized Jon at once.

It was surreal in a way. Shawn felt like he was a kid again. They made small talk for a few minutes, then Katy volunteered to go get Jon a latte.

"It's wonderful to see you so happy," Jon said smiling.

"It's wonderful to be happy," Shawn laughed a little nervously.

Katy appeared then explaining she'd order his drink, but then her boss had called her in. With a smile for them both and a kiss on the cheek for Shawn, Katy left.

"How did you get her to marry you," Jon chuckled.

"Dumb luck," Shawn replied. "And her daughter."

"I sense a story," Jon smiled.

"Cory's daughter's best friend is Katy's daughter," Shawn explained, before launching into the full story. He wasn't sure how long they sat their catching up. Not only did he tell Jon everything, but he learned quite a bit about Jon in return. How he'd become the Superintendent of the New York Board of Education and much more.

"As much fun as it's been catching up," Jon said, an hour or two later. "I'm pretty sure that wasn't why you contacted me."

"You're right," Shawn smiled. "As usual. There was something I needed to ask you."

"Ask away then," Jon replied.

"Why didn't you adopt me?" Shawn asked, though without an accusing tone to his voice. He simply wanted to know.

"At the time I had many reasons," Jon replied. "Though, looking back now, I know they were nothing but excuses. The reality was simply that I wasn't ready. I was scared and unsure. I couldn't commit to a relationship back then either. Maybe if you'd come along a little later... or I'd been ready a little sooner. I don't know."

"You know, that makes a strange kind of sense," Shawn smiled.

"And look at you, huh?" Jon smiled. "You turned out alright, didn't you?"

"Thanks to a lot of amazing people in my life, including you," Shawn grinned back.

"Speaking of people in your life," Jon continued. "Don't make my mistakes, Shawn. Be that little girls father 110%, because if all you ever do is walk the line, you'll regret it."

"How did you know that was why I was asking?" Shawn inquired.

"I'm a teacher," Jon grinned. "I can put two and two together." Jon raised an eyebrow at him, and Shawn knew what he meant.

"Even before I called you I knew what I wanted," Shawn replied, answering the unspoken question in his mentor's eyes. "And Katy agrees."

"So you're adopting Maya?"

"I'm adopting Maya," Shawn grinned back. "Unless of course she is against the idea."

The next day Shawn went to collect the proper paperwork. He wasn't too worried about hearing that Topanga got a job offer in London. After all, this was the same woman who choose Cory over Yale. There was no way the same woman was uprooting a family to go to London. Shawn had known Topanga all his life, and he just couldn't imagine her ever doing that. Everyone else seemed rather worried, but in time they'd come to understand. Shawn was more worried about Maya's reaction to his adoption papers.

"You really don't need to worry," Katy would tell him anytime Shawn worried. He loved her for it, but until he saw Maya's face after handing her the papers he wouldn't be able to get rid of this nagging feeling.

The papers in his hand, Shawn went to the Matthew's house. He gave the speech he knew he had to give about how it was good to grow up and move forward. It was true that if they hadn't moved to New York he would never have met Katy, but that didn't mean he wanted them to leave. He then turned the meaningful speech into a joke to help his nerves.

"We wouldn't have Maya," Shawn said grinning, holding out his hand to have Katy move closer to him.

"Aw, guys I'm not actually your daughter," Maya reminded them.

"I'll never forget when we first saw you in the hospital delivery room," Katy played along.

"Wow, I'd really love to rewrite history but-" Maya began.

"History is history," Cory interrupted. "First thing you have to know to teach history."

"Matthew's as your former English teacher, I say let them write what they want to," Jon pitched in from the side lines. Seeing him again, Shawn couldn't help hugging the man.

"Hey Shawn's wife," Jon told Katy over Shawn's shoulder. "Boy, that makes me happy saying that. Hey Shawn's wife!"

"Hey," Katy smiled, holding his arm as she addressed Jon. "Thank you for everything you've done to help make Shawn who he is."

"I'll never forget the time I saw him in that hospital delivery room," Jon replied.

"Okay crazy people," Riley chipped in, ruining their huge smiles from the continuation of their perfect joke. Topanga tried to get the topic back to her London thing, but Shawn had one more thing to do.

"She's right," Shawn replied. "This has nothing to do with us. I'm just going to leave that here." And he placed the adoption papers in Maya's hands, and then tried to sneak away.

"Hey!" Maya called out, and both Shawn and Katy turned to face her. "You want to adopt me."

"YAAY!" Riley cried out.

"I don't know how I feel about this," Maya stated, but then she was screaming 'YAY' along with Riley.

"You know, I talked to your mom and Shawn about this," Jon pitched in. "I always regretted that I never adopted Shawn."

"You know my parents tried to adopt Shawn," Cory said standing up and standing beside Jon. "But he preferred to stay a street urchin."

"I know this is a difficult decision to make," Shawn addressed Maya, ignoring Cory. "Take all the time you need."

"I'm Maya Hunter," Maya stated, looking down at the papers in her hands. Then she stood up and hugged him. Katy joined in, and it became a family group hug.

"Dad," Maya began speaking to Shawn. "Dad, daddy. Hi dad."

"Yeah," Shawn said.

"I'm sorry," Maya said very seriously.

"For what?" Shawn asked.

"For everything I'm going to do," Maya explained. "Oh, and I'm going to London with them."

"Let her," Riley chipped in. "You won't miss her. You just got her."

(Contains one scene from 'Girl Meets World' Season 3 Episode 21: Girl Meets Goodbye.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the SUPER late update. Life's been a little crazy and my head hasn't been in a Shawn Hunter place lately. Hopefully it won't be so long until my next update.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sneak Peek Chapter 11

Shawn closed his laptop, after finishing that last round of editing. Rubbing his eyes, he checked the time and discovered he'd quite lost track of it. After brushing his teeth, Shawn got into his cold empty bed. Though it was a double be couldn't bring himself to sleep on her side, or even in the middle. Had beds always been this cold? How quickly he'd gotten used to sleeping beside her. Turning his head, Shawn reached out his hand and laid it across the cold empty place where his wife should be. He hated sleeping alone, hated it more and more each time. The grey speckled hotel ceiling filled his vision as Shawn tried to get comfortable alone in the cold empty bed. Then again maybe it was the rough sheets and hard mattress that was his problem. What was missing your family compared to lumpy mattresses anyway?

With a groan, Shawn rolled over trying to get comfortable enough to at least doze. He pulled an extra pillow closer and hugged it, which helped a little, but the pillow was no substitute for Katy.

With a sudden moment of clarity, Shawn sat up in bed. What the hell was he doing here?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2.4K 39
Josh and Maya haven't spoken much in the past few years after their nasty breakup but when Riley and Lucas announce their engagement and plan their B...
3K 131 19
Inspired by the song Piece by Piece (by Kelly Clarkson), this story focuses on Maya Hart's life after her father left her and her mother. It will sho...
3.4K 10 40
Honestly... I don't know how to describe this story... *A RILAYA FANFIC WITH A LITTLE ROMANCE, A LITTLE VIOLENCE, A LITTLE MENTAL ILLNESS CONTENT* *I...
47.2K 1.5K 108
❛❛ I HOPE ONE DAY YOU CAN FORGIVE ME AND WE CAN CALL EACH OTHER AND WORK THINGS OUT. ❜❜ ❪ maya hart & lucas friar ❫ ❪ girl meets world, social medi...