Angel of Darkness (DARKNESS #...

By Ariajadewrites

(Book One in the Darkness Series) Long ago, in a small town called Asteaia, a baby - very different from any... More

Introduction
Epigraph
Prelude I
Prelude II
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XVI
XVII
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty

Chapter Thirty Four

2.8K 124 21
By Ariajadewrites

My jaw dropped...

A regal table stood in the center of the room. In each seat sat an unfamiliar face, all staring at me. Each person was dressed formally and quite regally. I quickly averted my gaze nervously, looking down.

GAH! I just realized I was wearing a dressing robe! My face flushed bright red with embarrassment. I felt a bare arm gently wrap around me and turned my head to see Erebus.

Oh no. He was shirtless; we never changed after bed last night.
Wait what?! Oh God...I can't believe I begged him to sleep beside me last night!
My face grew even more flushed as Erebus led me to the table.

Another handsome vampire shot me a grin, gesturing to one of the only seats that were unoccupied at the table. "Well hello, tiny one. Aren't you just the cutest thing" he drawled, flashing me a fanged smile.

A hiss sounded beside me, as I was pulled into a lap. His lap. I sent Erebus a sharp look. Stupid vampire.

"God Erebus, give the poor girl some room to breathe" a voice laughed from across the table. Erebus sent the voice a sharp look. An awkward silence filled the air as everyone stared at me.

Someone cleared their throat. "Erebus, aren't you going to introduce your... er Adrienne to us?" A man asked. I blushed, embarrassed.

"Forgive my manners. My name is Adrienne, I'm a friend of Erebus's" I answered softly. "Are you sure about that, tiny one?" Another voice asked, laughing.

"Really Asmodeus?" Erebus hissed. The man shuts laughed harder. Erebus's eyes met mine. "This is my family Adrienne, and usual our family meals aren't this quiet nor suggestive" he sent a sharp look to Asmodeus.

"Welcome, Adrienne. I am Aspen, one of Erebus's advisors" the man to the other side of me started. The introductions continued down the table, along with a flurry of names.
Asmodeus, Cyan, Damian, Alessandro, Layla, Velorina and gosh I couldn't even keep track

"I'm Draven. If you ever need a wild night sweetheart, you know who to come to" A man with blond hair drawled, winking at me.

"Gosh Draven, could you stop hoeing around for five minutes! By the way beautiful, I'm Narcisa" the gorgeous redhead at the table said. I nodded and gave her a warm smile.

Erebus didn't say anything but looked mildly uncomfortable. "Poor Erebus. The poor boy just doesn't know what to do with that stiffy" A brunette man laughed. "Erebus, think about bringing you and your little chéri to my room. I can easily mediate the problem".

Everyone at the table choked. Oh god! Was he implying...
Erebus gave the man a sharp look. "Never going to happen Melchior". Everyone laughed this time, including me.

"Leave it to you all to embarrass me. Can we just eat in peace" Erebus protested. At that, a flurry of people rushed in with huge dishes of food. The smell of freshly baked patisserie filled my nose. Mmmm!

Erebus began to pile food onto the huge plate in front of us. I gasped at the large quantities of food everyone was eating. I was never allowed to eat that much, for my mother feared I would become fat.

Suddenly, a fork appeared in front of my mouth. "Open" Erebus drawled as I examined the strawberry at the end of the fork. I reached out, taking the fork from his hand and sliding it into my mouth.

"I can feed myself, you know?" I asked as Erebus's beautiful eyes met mine and softened. Damn him and that adorable look of his!

"I know ma lumiére, I just like caring for you. It makes me feel wanted, needed" he answered softly, running one of his large hands soothingly down my back. I stilled, thinking.

"Alright. But I want to take care of you too" I hummed, pressing a kiss to his cheek and running my hand through his beautiful dark hair. He turned a bright shade of red as I giggled softly.

CRASH!

A loud crash snapped us out of our daze, and we were met with shocked expressions from everyone at the table. One of the men rubbed the back of his neck nervously.
"Sorry. I dropped a pitcher." He apologized quickly, shifting his eyes everywhere but us.

The odd silence fell over the table once again. Luckily, a woman rushed in with a platter full of piping hot pancakes, breaking the awkward silence. Erebus piled three pancakes onto the bone china plate. I drowned them under a pile of syrup and finished with some fresh creme.

Erebus's chuckle verberated down my spine as he laughed. I leaned forward, plucking the silverware off the table; proceeding to cut up the pancakes. I raised a syrup-drenched piece towards Erebus's mouth.

He accepted the food, a drip of syrup pooling at the side of his face. I smirked, then wiped it away with my finger.

A choking sound followed by coughing sounded across the table. My head snapped towards the sound. Layla was patting the gentleman's back as he gasped for air. He wasn't the only one with the gaping expression though. It seemed most of the vampires at the table carried the same expression.

I blushed a shade of crimson.

"So Erebus, I can expect you and Mademoiselle Adrienne at the ball" one of Erebus's advisors intercepted as I turned to him, confused. "Of course Cyan, I had a gown made for Adrienne becoming for the occasion" Erebus answered.

"Lucky girl" Velorina laughed across from me. "Which dressmakers did you hire, my King"?

"Helene and Odette" Erebus answered smiling. What!? Wait!? Me, attend a royal ball!?
"Erebus... when is this ball to take place" I whispered to him, panicked. He chuckled again, his rich voice sounding so deep when he laughed. "Tonight, ma chéri. I was hoping you would accompany me, as my honored guest".

My eyes widened in shock.
Tonight. I could attend a royal ball, as an honored guest of Erebus. Holy-
Erebus brushed back a lock of hair I hadn't noticed swept into my face. "If you'll excuse us, we'd best be going now" Erebus announced to the table, sliding the grand chair out. He gently helped me up and escorted me from the room.

We headed from the room and slipped into a silent hallway. I turned around anxiously to face him, still shocked.
"I'm sorry lumiére. I should have told you earlier; you really don't have to go, if you don't want" he stammered, that worried look filling his eyes again.

"Of course I want to go! But a royal ball and as your guest and everything" I rambled nervously, twirling my thumbs. His large hands closed over mine.

My mind whirled with the possibilities. "B-but what If your people don't like me! What if they-" I mumbled. "My family will love you, Adrienne. You have nothing to worry about" Erebus replied softly, holding out a hand.

I smiled softly, taking his hand. Erebus led me down the sprawling corridors and down a staircase before stopping at another set of opulent double doors. Every single door I've seen in this palace has had the golden rococo designs on it.

He flashed an eager grin at me before pushing the door open. I recognized Odette leaning over a table overflowing with ostentatious fabrics. I scanned the room, my eyes falling on the most beautiful dress I'd ever seen.

Gorgeous blood red satin flowed from the neckline to the trim. Golden lace decorated the edges of the sleeves and the neck. Small satin rosettes were added to accent the opulence of the gown.

I stepped towards the dress, noticing the golden train behind it, decorated with the same rosettes. I sighed.

"It's yours to wear ma lumiére" Erebus laughed as I longingly ran a hand down the silky fabric. "Really!?" I asked, excitedly. He nodded as I jumped him pulling him into a hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! It's beautiful" I yelled.

The door burst open and in hustled, a very flustered Delphine. She was carrying a silver box.

"My king, the royal jeweler has finished your request" she rushed out, tucking a lock of blond hair behind an ear.

"Thank you, Delphine, please save it for later" Erebus replied. "My King, it is quite late in the afternoon. We must begin preparing Mademoiselle Adrienne for the ball" Delphine spoke, rubbing her knuckles nervously.

"Of course Delphine" Erebus concluded, striding from the room. My eyes were still glued to the gorgeous garment.

"Mademoiselle? Shall we go prepare?" Delphine asked as I turned. I nodded, following her from the room.

Back in the familiar chambers, Delphine pushed open a door I hadn't even noticed and gestured me to follow her into an adjoining room.

OH MY!

Gowns, silks, satins, and furs lined the walls. The walls were a soft pink with painted roses climbing the walls. Delphine ushered me to the dressing table and began to delicately create papillote curls in my long hair.

As opposed to my mother's yanking hands, Delphine was gentle and precise. After she had finished my hair, she kept the tissue in to allow it to set. In the meantime, two other ladies I had never met rushed in. They introduced themselves as Calla and Dahlia.

They explained that they were identical twins. I was incredibly embarrassed as I kept messing up their names and mixing them up. While Dahlia applied cosmetics to my face, Calla focused her attention on my nails.

"Thank you all, but I'm just a bit uncomfortable being pampered like this," I said nervously, not wanting to offend the ladies who were so kindly helping me. They laughed, Calla drawling in a suggestive tone "You'll get used to it, mademoiselle".

"Please, call me Adrienne. I do despise such unnecessary formalities" I began but was cut off when a knock sounded at the door; Odette and Helene walked in. Odette was carrying the large beautiful gown, and Helene holding a delicate gold and silver box. I scrambled to my feet, rushing forward to help Odette with the gown.

We all laughed as Odette dumped the dress on a nearby divan with a huff. "Damned thing is gorgeous but heavy" she huffed, annoyed. Delphine bent down and began to pick up undergarments and Calla gestured me to turn around.

I did but was shocked when she began unfastening the dressing gown. I yelped as the silk pooled around my feet as I crossed my arms to cover my intimates.

"We've seen it before m-Adrienne" Dahlia laughed as I slowly lowered my arms. Delphine began to hand me underclothes. After a while I was curious... I wasn't given a girdle."Mme. Delphine, I wasn't given a corset" I started.

"King Erebus discourages the use of such things Adrienne, there has been many a woman who has fainted due to the dratted things. Our king disapproves of such risk only for appearance's sake." Delphine explained.

If you'd really like, I'm sure I could acquire one" Helene added softly. I shook my head rapidly. Who would want to wear the bloody thing?

The ladies laughed at my reaction as Helene guided me onto a dressing stool. I lifted my arms as the gown was lowered around me. I lowered my arms as the ladies bustled around me, adjusting the folds and train.

When they stepped back I looked down, smiling. "It's even more beautiful on. Thank you".  The women smiled back at me, their fangs not seeming scary or unsettling to me anymore. "There's one more thing" Delphine concluded. I bent down as she gently removed the tissue from my hair, leaving long, bouncy, spiral curls behind.

She nodded to Odette, who brought over the gold-silver box. I gasped in awe as they uncovered the treasure inside the box. Nestled in the satin stood a beautiful hair accessory, which resembled a crown. She gently placed it in my hair, then stepped back.

I twirled softly, feeling so elegant and royal.
"You look like a queen" Calla gushed as I blushed. "Thank you. I'd never had the chance to feel like this before" I thanked them before I was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"I am to escort Mademoiselle Adrienne to the ball" a gruff voice muttered as Helene helped me off the dressing stool. She gently led me to the door, stepping back just as my hand touched the handle.

"Thank you Adrienne" a voice called out, making me still. I turned around to see a radiant Delphine. "I've never seen King Erebus so happy. You've done our king wonders".

"Erebus isn't the only one that feels as such" I murmured softly, before turning and striding through the door.

The guard before me bowed upon my entrance as I laughed lightly.
"Please don't feel the need to bow. I am no one of utmost importance" I gently told him.
"On the contrary mademoiselle, you are very important to our beloved king. As such, you are important to all of us" the guard answered, opening another door for me to walk through.

"Erebus must be a wonderful leader. His kingdom seems quite content with his rule" I thought to myself as I was escorted through the halls, getting closer and closer to the sound of a large party.

Guards in various uniforms lined the halls. I smiled at them, silently thanking them for their protection and devotion. We reached a set of double doors which were blocked by more guards. Radiant roses in gold vases stood on either side of the doors, adding a fresh blend of color against the golden doors. The guards both bowed and opened the doors for me to step through.

It was like stepping into a whole other world.

I stood on an elegant balcony, two cascading staircases on either side; overlooking the ballroom. Banquet tables flanked the perimeter as guests in a variety of ostentatious dress filled the room. The ballroom was bountifully decorated with lush greenery and flowers, in particular; roses. The party seemed to be in full swing as my eyes fell on Erebus. He looked very different from the other times I had seen him. I stepped further onto the balcony as all eyes in the room immediately locked on me, even the musicians stilled.

I watched as a joyous smile filled Erebus's face as he strode towards the bottom of the staircase. I began to slowly descend from one of the staircases, well aware of the peering eyes as I hurried towards Erebus.

Reaching the bottom of the staircase, I headed a sigh of relief and took his hand gratefully. The musicians started up again, but I noticed that the people's eyes barely shifted."They're all looking at us" I murmured nervously, my forehead creasing. Erebus let out a soft chuckle. "Ma chérie, they are all looking at you" he purred in that sensual voice of his.

He held out his arm, and I took it gratefully. "The first waltz!" a well-groomed vampire announced as all eyes flickered back to Erebus and me. I shot Erebus a panicked look.

"I really don't know how to dance Erebus!" I stammered, my eyes darting around the ballroom. Erebus shot me a smug smile. "We've danced together chèri" he replied.

Wait, when, what? I've never?

"Later" he mouthed as the musicians started up. He led me towards the center of the floor as I clutched his hand tightly.  His arm wound around my waist as we began to sway softly to the beat.

I followed his smooth movements almost effortlessly. Starting to relax, I glanced at Erebus to notice he was beaming. I smiled a radiant smile of my own.

The room oohed as Erebus twirled me gracefully, my dress swirling around my legs in a cascading waterfall of silk.

Erebus looked so regal, so handsome I could hardly believe it. He was basically a Greek god in all his glory. This was a side of him I hadn't seen very often; just happy as he was. He was my reprieve from the sadness in my life, and if I could be the same for him, it would be the greatest gift imaginable.

His blue eyes glowed under the light of the chandeliers as the dance continued, increasing the difficulty. The hands around my waist lifted me as I floated through the air. With a final flourish, the dance was finished.

I bowed to him, as was expected in such a situation; according to my etiquette teacher. However, he didn't seem to pleased about it. Wrapping an arm around me, he leaned towards me. "You should never feel the need to bow to me Adrienne. It implies you are my subordinate, which you are not and never will be" he spoke smoothly, as I nodded.

Pulling me to his side, Erebus proceeded to speak to a multitude of different vampires at the ball. I watched in admiration as he stopped to pluck a flower from nearby arrangement, handing it to a small girl. She squealed in happiness and kissed his cheek.

I stood silently, watching the exchange while fawning over how adorable they both were. I didn't even hear someone creep up behind me.

"Our King is beloved among his subjects. He treats us all like family" One of his advisors spoke, smiling. I snuck a quick glance at the pair behind me, watching Erebus twirl the girl as she shrieked in delight.

"He is very special" I murmured softly.  His advisor nodded in response.
"I was wrong about you all" I said honestly. "Your people are some of the kindest and most loyal I have ever met".

The advisor smiled at that. A vampire wearing a white apron stopped beside us, offering us red hued drinks in silver goblets. "Sanguis?" She asked politely. I took one.

"You won't want that Adrienne, it's Lamb's blood" Erebus's voice echoed from behind me as he gestured to the goblet in my hand. I blushed, and quickly set the glass back on the tray, murmuring apologies.

Both vampires laughed before striding away.
"Follow me" Erebus whispered, before grabbing my hand and whisking me out of the ballroom. I followed him up several flights of stairs as the music slowly faded away.

Reaching a metal door, Erebus held it open as I walked through. The cool night air hit my skin as I stepped onto a large outdoor balcony. The wind rushed my hair as I looked out onto the sprawling gardens.

"Look up" Erebus whispered. I did, and was met with thousands of glistening stars. Each one twinkling and sparkling against the dark night sky. It was breathtaking, something so beautiful that couldn't ever be bought or owned.

"Sometimes I come up here to clear my head. It's peaceful". I turned to Erebus, gazing at the stars with such a dazzling, content expression. Looking out, the night sky seemed so vast and large; our problems, so small.

I leaned my head on Erebus's shoulder as we stood silently, just gazing at the stars. However, the silence wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. Rather, it was comforting, warm and peaceful. As the world stilled for a moment.

A strange sense of desire and want flooded me. I had to restrain myself from pouncing on Erebus. He wasn't perfect, far from it; but that's what made him, my Angel.

"It's getting late, we'd best be heading to bed" Erebus drawled, taking my hand once again. Leading me back down the stairwells, I felt that desire intensify and burn.
Before I knew it, I had reached my chambers.

"Delphine will help you with your dress chèri. Have a pleasant sleep, and I'll see you in the morning" Erebus purred, before striding away and leaving me flustered at the door.

Turning the handle, I headed inside. Delphine was chatting with another vampiric woman I hadn't met before. They both saw me and attempted to curtsy before I raised a hand to stop them.

"Please, I'm not some sort of queen. Such formalities are wasted on me" I answered, before turning around. "Can you please help me out of this gorgeous yet overbearing dress?".

After what felt like forever, I was finally sliding into the satin sheets on the massive bed. Closing my eyes, I savoured the events of the evening as I tried to gently fall asleep.

THANK YOU ALL FOR 7K READS AND #59 IN VAMPIRE!
I'm so happy that you all are loving the story, so as a reward I present to you this triple chapter, all in one. Seriously, this chapter is over 3,500 words long- pretty much the equivalent of three normal chapters. But you all deserve it for being such amazing and wonderful fans and readers❤️
Thank you, thank you, thank you all, a million times over for supporting me and my stories. I couldn't have done it without you all.
XOXO
ARIA JADE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 2K 106
A cold-hearted, introverted girl. She always wore a hoodie, sat in a corner of the class, shut herself from others. She wasn't interested in gettin...
75.7K 2.8K 33
When Cecilia wakes up in a wattpad fantasy novel she's dumbstruck. Knowing the future of her character she tries to be on the good side of King Jaspe...
37 0 24
Lunaria is a perfect world of peace and balance, located in a different time and universe than the Earth we humans live on. It is ruled by divine cr...
58 9 18
People accumulate all their thoughts and they end up creating this warped version of themselves. In this world, this usually warped mindset can lead...