A Love That was Housebound

By gottagetitright32

1848 was a year that was looking up for Isaac Richardson. His cotton plantation was expanding, He has become... More

Chapter 2:Part 1
Chapert 2 Part 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Part 1
Chapter 4: Part 2
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10

A Love That was HouseBound

41.3K 750 155
By gottagetitright32

Beaufort, South Carolina- United States of America

January 13, 1848

 As I hear both the red and blue jays chirping their usual high-pitch melody, it gives me clue it was sometime around noon.  

I knew it was my cue to get out of bed; I sit up with a hard groan as I move my hand through my blonde unkempt hair. I turn my head to the window looking out of it with weary and detached blue eyes. As I rise from my king size bed and walk over to my closet I try recalling what I’ve had plan for today.

‘Was it to go to a meeting with Mr.Tuttle? 

Maybe it was going to the church to repent to Father Mark for my recent behavior?’

I scoffed with bitter amusement to my last thought as I finally found the suit I was going to wear.

‘Repent, what would I be deploring for?’

I sat my suit on the back of one of my chairs that was place in front an unlit fireplace.  I stand there waiting for Sarah to arrive and put on my clothes. As five minutes passes by my impatience quickly shifted into an almost violent irritation. I stomp over to my door and yank the door open.

“SARAH WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!?!” I yelled heat rising to my face.

“I-I’m here sa’.” I hear a small whisper in front of me.

I look down to see Sarah with her shoulders hunched upwards and her head facing the floor. I gave a disgusted look to her.

“You useless piece of shit! Everyday around noon, you should know I get up at this hour!”  

Sarah’s body shivers in fear from every word that was yelled from my mouth. I sigh trying to fight back the urge to slap her natural dark tea skin. Deciding against for now I move to the side and roughly pull Sarah into my room. She doesn’t resist in fear that I would do worst. 

I slam the door shut and quickly walk over to the chair where I place my suit and stretch my arms out for Sarah to take off my shirts. When she starts I began the usual questioning.

“Have the Field Negros begin their work?”

“Yes masta’” She answers unbuttoning my shirt with much haste, in less than a minute she was done and took it from me.

I pull off my undershirt and gave it to her, she folds both with speed and sat them down on the chair and gave me my new clean undershirt and button up shirt.

“And the Chores with the house? Have you cleaned the kitchen, the parlor, the bathrooms, guestrooms, dining room, and tea room?”

“Yes masta’” She replies buttoning up my shirt, then taking my pants and giving them to me.

As I pull both of the pants legs up I watch as Sarah go over to my bed and begins to straightening it.

“Sarah” I call as I finish buttoning my pants.

She turns my way with her head down, “Yes sa’?”

“Bring me a belt and prepare another bed for the slave quarters.”

I could see Sarah’s eyes widened in shock.

“Masta’” She quietly says, I knew she wanted to ask a question.

“What?”

“May I ask…?” She trails off knowing I knew what she was asking, I sigh sitting down in the chair.

“Yes, I buying a another house slave. Now bring me my shoes”

She nods and walks over to the walk-in closet goes inside and comes out with light brown shoes and a belt. I wait for her to put them on then after I walk out of my bedroom and down the hall and two-levels of stairs and then through my kitchen to come to my backdoor.

  I open the screen-door and walk out on the back porch to see and acres of cottons fields filled with dark-tented people picking at the plants.

I huff out an air of pride knowing that I was the owner of this booming business. I walk down the steps and walk pass them down a path that leads to my barn that kept the horses.

  I walk up to my best riding horse Champ and saddled him up and rode him to town. 

When I finally arrive I got off of Champ and started leading him Mr.Tuttle’s building. As I walk by people most said their greetings to me.

I see Father Mark and place a fake smile on my face. He sees me and smiles.

“Well, if it isn’t Isaac Richardson. Where ya’ been boy havan’t seen you since two weeks ago at church.”  

I chuckled remembering I didn’t go to church on purpose, but of course I would give a good lie to Father.

“ Fatha Mark business been pretty crazy since the demand for more cotton has increase.”

Father Mark nods with this fact yet I know he didn’t accept the excuse. 

“Well work is important but it’s good to remember who blessed you with it.”

I wanted to chuckle with bitter humor at Father Mark but I only nod with a small smile.

“Truth to that Father Mark, well I outta hurry along here can’t miss the auction.” I nod to Father as he gives a disapproving look.

“Buying another human I see?”

 ‘N---er lover’ I thought harshly wanting to shoot him a disgusted look.

“Nah, just another house slave, hopefully Mr.Tuttle selling one for cheap” I answer hinting to him that I don’t accept slaves as humans.

I could tell he got the hint by his expression.

“Hmp, then you should get going then” He mumbles with a defeated look; I smile and pull on Champ’s handle and began walking off saying “Till Sunday then Father Mark!” 

I walk up to a wooden pole that was near Mr.Tuttle’s business and tied Champ to it, and walked inside. I look around and saw the long stage and open space that was filled with men and families talking to one another.

“Mr. Richardson, Glad you came!” I turn to one of the town’s most respected Mr. Tuttle with a grin.

“Mr. Tuttle nice to see you again, you’ve got any new ones?”  Mr. Tuttle chuckles as him belly bobs with this action and his adjusts his glasses.

“Yea, the ports from the next town over ships came in with hundreds, they sent some to me just last night fo’ a cheap price.” I laugh as he pokes out his chest in pride.

“You about to sell, yet?” I ask he laughs at my eagerness.

“Yea Isaac about to go there right now, best to see yo’ hand up fo’ buyin’?” I nod with a smirk.

“Only reasons I come is buy to Mista’ Tuttle”

He nods wearing a smirk himself and went up the steps to start the auction. Twenty came on the stage and twenty was sold. My hand went up for none of them until one female one came up.

She still had a very dark tone but her eyes were not a pitch black like the others. Her hair was a wavy and coarse at the same while it passes down her shoulders making me wonder where it stops. Her face was built with a rounded head, high cheeks bones, a button nose and full pouty lips then her shape you could tell she was developed.

Unknowingly I soon noticed my hand was raising, Mr.Tottle yelling out prices that was already pass 100. 

“150!” One man yells, “160!” Another one screams.

I stare at the woman—‘What did I just call it?’ I thought surprised. 

I mean the slave she stares at us crowd with a questioning look in her eyes, her facial expression was neutral.

She looks at each invidual of the crowd then her eyes reach mine. She stares at me like she did the others and for some reason my breathes became short and I could feel my blood rushing to my face. 

A voice besides my thoughts yells to me screaming ‘Buy her!’

I put my hand down keeping my eyes connected to hers. 

“Three hundred and fifty!” Screams a short man that was in front of me. 

I scoffed at the price and raise my hand again, my eyes still staring at her.

‘Buy her!’ The voice in my head yells again.

“Seven hundred!” I loud yell silencing half of the room.

Many heads turns my way and most of their hands going down. Mr. Tuttle’s eyes widened with excitement. 

“SOLD!” He yells pointing to me. I walk up there still staring at her with a smirk making it way to my lips. When I got on stage Mr. Tuttle shakes my hand vigorously with a wide grin.

“Thank you Isaac! We’ll make sure all the papers right and give it right to you.” I finally broke our stare and look to Mr. Tuttle.

“No, I’ll give you the money now and we can work the papers later.” I look back up to her as she tilts her head a little still staring at me.

“I’ll take her now.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Heritage By AJadeLingers

Historical Fiction

405 13 46
This book follows an African American boy as he wonders over into the white community something not usually done. Considering that during the year 18...
419K 19K 26
Amazing Cover by ONYXVIXEN I was not meant to be here. I had a life back home, not quite fulfilling but a life nonetheless Then I'm miraculously thru...
5.9K 191 108
"I was born on June 22nd, 1947 on the wet warm soil of Anniston, Alabama. Where the climate was equivalent to a steaming pot on a stove." ... "Alabam...
66.1K 3.9K 27
"𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭, 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐩𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐫𝐮𝐧 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲," Desperate to escape her past, Agatha Ha...