Hard to Find

By annasteffey

[FREE Novel with PAID bonus content] After an awful night out, social worker-Skylar Leighton-believes her lif... More

♡ Authors Note ♡
Epigraph
Chapter One - Blondie
Chapter Two - No Strings Attached
Chapter Four - Realizations
Chapter Five - Groundhog Day
Chapter Six - Alone
Chapter Seven - One Shot too Many
Chapter Eight - She
Chapter Nine - Peace Offerings
Chapter Ten - True Colors
Chapter Eleven - Forgiving
Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time
Chapter Thirteen - Deals
Chapter Fourteen - Tidal Wave
Chapter Fifteen - Business
Chapter Sixteen - Signs
Chapter Seventeen - Loveless
Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate
Chapter Nineteen - Phone Calls
Chapter Twenty - Nobody Knows
Chapter Twenty One - Letters
Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects
Chapter Twenty Three - We meet again
Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready
Chapter Twenty Five - Memories
Chapter Twenty Six - Lies
Chapter Twenty Seven - Ms. Leighton
Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe
Chapter Twenty Nine - Perspective
Chapter Thirty - Let Down
Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You
Chapter Thirty Three - Beginning of the End
Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's
Chapter Thirty Five - Photos
Chapter Thirty Six - This Feeling
Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence
Chapter Thirty Eight - Hard To Find
Epilogue
♡Ending Authors Note♡
Bonus: The Engagement

Chapter Three - Friends

30.1K 1.2K 244
By annasteffey

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h r e e

{Friends}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Skylar's POV

Next Friday rolls around, and I'm lying in bed bored out of my mind. It's been a week since I've seen Blake in person. We've been texting every chance we get but haven't set a date to see each other again. I also still haven't warned him about my lack-of-commitment to romantic relationships. 

I'll get there eventually, though.

Acting on a whim, I pull my phone out and type, "Hey, you still haven't seen my place, do you want to tonight?" Groaning at how cheesy it sounds, I delete the entire message. I stare at the keyboard until I create something worthy enough to send.

Sky: Hey, if you're not busy, I'm about to order Chinese takeout. You can come over and help me eat it.

Knowing that's the best I'll come up with, I press send and stare at my ceiling. I watch the fan spin in circles as I patiently wait for a message back. Three minutes pass before my phone buzzes against my stomach.

Blake: I'm totally down to help, what's your address? PS I'm not excited to see you.

I laugh at his post message and instantly reply with my address and a PS note that reads, "I'm totally not excited either." 

I climb out of bed and rush to the bathroom to freshen up, then change into something casual but comfy. The doorbell rings and I eagerly open it. I hand the delivery man money and take the food.

The minute the door closes, a soft knock sounds, I assume it's Blake.

"Hey." He smiles when I open the door.

"Hi, you're just in time." I grin, stepping aside so he can enter. "The food just got here."

I watch as he observes my place like I observed his. I walk to the kitchen and unpack the food. He runs his fingers across things.

"Your place is," He pauses, "Plainer then I thought it would be."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Thank you?"

He walks towards me and sits on the island chairs. "It doesn't seem like you."
     "You barely know me." I pass him a plate and chopsticks and pour us each a glass of wine. I join him at the table. "I haven't really had time to decorate the place. I work a lot and don't ever feel like doing anything on weekends."

He nods and places a piece of chicken in his mouth.

"Did your roommate ever say anything about what happened?"

Blake shakes his head. "No, he's kind of an asshole."
     "Then why do you live with him?"

He adds more rice to his plate. "Well even though he's an asshole, he is still a friend. He just has a lot of issues."

I nod understandingly.

We retreat to the couch when we're finished eating and turn the TV on. He slides his arm around me and I cuddle into him.

I end up clicking a random movie that's playing. I couldn't care less what we're watching, right now I'm focused on him. His hand is making small circles on my thigh, creeping closer and closer towards my hip bone.

He moves closer and places a small kiss behind my ear. I lean back, wanting him to do it again. He gets the hint and continues. When I've had enough, I turn my head so my lips meet his. He pulls me on top of his lap and I rest my arms around his neck.

His hands roam my backside, I pull away, "Do you want to see my room?"

He grins. "I would love to."

He stands before I can, his arms scoop me off the couch causing me to squeal. I tell him where to go and which door to enter.

He drops me on my bed.

"I like your room." He states crawling on top of me. I reach for his shirt and pull it over his head. He does the same for me. Soon enough we are both naked under my covers.

Blake reaches for his pants at the end of the bed and digs a condom out of the pocket.

We don't hesitate about getting to work. It is good, if not better than last Friday. Neither of us is afraid of taking this slow which I really like. His tongue parts my lips, sending me into a frenzy. I grip the bedsheets, trying to suppress the overwhelming surge of pleasure. He finishes first, I follow suit and we lie down beside each other.

All you can hear is our erratic breathing mixed with the silence of the room. He turns to me and laughs. "I've never met a girl like you." His fingers trail up my arm, gently caressing my shoulder. "I know we've only known each other for a week, but I like you."

Shit.

I press my palms to my eyes and sigh.

"What's wrong?" I feel the bed shift from him sitting up.

I open my eyes and stare. This could go one of two ways: very good or terrible. I like Blake; I like him a lot, but I don't want to be tied down in a relationship. I feel like I've been leading him on and that Isn't fair. 

"Nothing's wrong."

"Then why did you groan like that after I told you I had feelings for you?" He raises an eyebrow.

I sit up so we're eye level, bringing the covers with me to cover my bare body. "I will be honest with you. I like you too, but I don't want a relationship right now. I don't like labels, I just want to have fun."

"What does that mean?"

I shrug my shoulders. "This." I point at our naked bodies.

He fists his hair. "So friends that like each other... with benefits?"

I nod. He lies back on the bed and I lie my head on his chest. His fingers circle my back while I wait for his response.

"I guess I'm okay with that. But if it gets complicated, I'm tapping out."

I let out a hearty laugh. "That's reasonable."

He rolls me onto my back and kisses me again. The kiss grows more intense and we settle for round two.

I'm relieved he is okay with keeping this superficial. It makes my life a lot easier. I don't have to constantly worry or make him my priority. The only issue is trying to keep this from Marlee. My sister supports everything I do, except sleeping around. She thinks I'm making inappropriate decisions that will hurt me emotionally. I appreciate her concern and I know it's out of love, but I know what I want.

Blake drifts asleep before I do. I end up staring at him, gently touching his cheek, trying to contemplate whether I'm making a good decision.

I hope I am.

I'm not sure when I drifted off, but the sunlight peeks through my curtains, notifying me it is morning. I roll over in bed to find it empty. I look around the room to see if his clothes are here, but they're gone.

I get up and throw clothes on before heading out into my living room. I'm halted when I see Blake standing in my kitchen, cooking breakfast.

Oh no. This is not what friends that like each other with benefits do.

"Good morning, I hope you don't mind, I got into your fridge." I sit down at the island. He fills a mug with coffee and hands it to me.

This will be a problem, I'm liking it too much.

"I don't mind," I lie. "What are you making?"

"Eggs, toast, bacon, I can also make waffles." 

I wave my hands dismissively, laughing at his eagerness. "No, this is enough."

He finishes cooking while I set the island. Right when he sits down, his phone goes off. He doesn't budge. Instead, he forks eggs into his mouth, acting like it isn't ringing off.

"Are you gonna answer that?" I point to his buzzing phone.

"Nope." He continues to eat, glancing at me every so often. 

I don't know what he is up to but I feel like this is step one in trying to change my mind. Maybe it's a glimpse of what the future could hold?

His phone rings again and I laugh, "It's probably important, go answer it." 

He sighs, annoyed, and climbs off the chair, taking his phone with him. I point to my bedroom and he nods and heads there for privacy.

"Hello? I'm at Skylar's house. Yes, I'm busy. No, I cannot talk." I hear his faint voice sound down the hallway. Then he whispers something I can't make it out followed by, "Is everything okay? Do you need me to come home?"

I finish my coffee and stand to get more. By the time I sit back down, he is walking towards me.

"You okay?"

"I have to go after we finish breakfast, I'm sorry."

  I can't tell how I'm feeling. I'm slightly torn, but also relieved. I put a smile on for him and touch his shoulder. "That's okay, I have some things to do today, anyway."

My comment seems to put him at ease, and we finish our breakfast in silence.

Before he leaves, he helps clean up. Our parting kiss is as passionate as we can make it. Right when the door closes and I'm alone, I let out a gigantic sigh because of how frustrated I am with myself. 

Blake is a great guy. But if he is so great why don't want to date him? What is holding me back?

I try to clear my thoughts by tidying the rest of my apartment. When I'm finished, the first thing I do is call Marlee.

"Hey, love." She says as she answers the phone.

"Hi, Mar." I sit on the couch. "I was busy, sorry I didn't call you sooner."

"Busy with Blake?" I can sense her devious grin over the phone and I roll my eyes.

"We had dinner last night."

"That's romantic. So you two are getting serious?"

I tuck my feet underneath my body and rest my head on the arm of the couch. "No... yes? I don't know. I like him but I want to take things slow." I lie.

"I see. Well, I was calling to tell you Dylan and I are hosting dinner tomorrow night to reveal the house. I really hope you can make it."

"Are you serious? Yeah, I'll be there." 

"You can bring Blake." I groan at the thought. Once he meets my family, it will be harder to get rid of him.

"Okay, so that's a no?"

"It's a no."

She laughs, giving me details. We say goodbye and hang up. It's been a while since I've seen her in person and I'm super excited.

The rest of the morning, I get some work done. After making a cup of coffee, I meander to my office that used to be Raven's room when she lived here. I wrap myself in a blanket and get to work. Once I catch up I won't have anything to do tomorrow except have dinner at Marlee's.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Twitter & Instagram:

annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 9.9K 46
Innocence is subjective. When push comes to shove: things change. And sometimes you just have to try not to explode. Pure's always been bullied for h...
147 20 46
Everyone has a story to tell. Melody has a story she doesn't wants people to know. A story she intends to keep deep inside her heart. But in her stor...
2.8K 244 80
With Grayson's sudden absence from her life, Mia tries her hardest to carry on as normal; to continue as though she had never met the man who turned...
202K 8.1K 31
❇ Book Two ❇ ♥ The Rejected Mate Series ♥ ◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼◻◼ Skylar Hunter has had a twist...