The Hollows In Our Freedom |...

By __queenly__

'The inferno never ceased, and even when it did, the wind carried the blaze across, and it skimmed our heads... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
✧ end of a-side ✧
✧ 06/11 - fragments of b-side ✧
✧ 06/12 - fragments of b-side ✧
✧ a-side recap / b-side begins ✧
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Chapter Eighty-Four
Chapter Eighty-Five
♔ CAST LIST ♔
Chapter Eighty-Six
Chapter Eighty-Seven
Chapter Eighty-Eight
previously

Chapter Twenty-Eight

11 1 4
By __queenly__

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I think I choked, but I was too in shock to know for sure.

"Lexi and Jace?" Sky asked, contributing only a little of what was probably happening in her mind.

Elle nodded, smiling. Jameson, however, was less than amused.

"Him?" He spat. I would've defended Jace, but I suddenly forgot how to. Jace and I as a pairing? Holy hell.

Elle nodded at Jameson with understanding. "I know it'll be hard, Jameson, but you have to understand; it's a good pairing."

"How?" Jameson asked, seeming less than convinced.

"Well, Alexi is training Jace, it's like an apprenticeship. How can they be parted now? It wouldn't work." Elle explained.

"But surely someone else can just train him. Why does it have to be Alexi?" Kim asked, stepping out from the shadows.

Elle smiled. "Do you want to confuse the poor man? I know it's probably routine for Guardians to be trained by many different guarding instructors, but we need this done quickly. And they've already begun."

Jonah scoffed. "As if he's already made progress."

At that, everyone turned to look at me. I stared at them, pulling a face, "do you really need to ask? Of course he's making progress." Jonah raised his eyebrow at me. "Okay, well, if we were back at the Academy, he'd be about 10% through the whole course–" I was interrupted by Jameson and Jonah sharing some sort of mocking laughter.

I stared at them. "–and that's only what I've taught him. After an observation of everything else, you could probably add another 15%," I shrugged, "just because of the way he is as a person. His natural ability for non-fighting skills could probably add 10%, and then you have the fact that he isn't stupid—unlike some people here–" I was staring at Jameson and Jonah, so I think they knew I was talking about them. "–so I'd add another 5%. Overall, I don't need to do the maths to tell you that Sky will be just fine."

When I was done, I jumped when someone started to clap. It was Elle, of course, the strange, blonde mythical witch. "Perfectly done," she said, I bowed my head with a smirk. I would have given a speech, but we had little time to spare.

"So Jace and Alexi with Sky, and no objections," she said, eyeing Jonah, but especially Jameson. "But now we have to figure out a pairing for Cassie and her baby."

I looked up at Jace as everyone begun to discuss this, and he looked terrified.

I placed a palm on his arm. "It'll be okay. We've still got some training to do, but you're almost ready." Jace nodded, looking down at me to give me a grateful smile. According to Guardian standards, I was being a little too optimistic, but it didn't hurt to be overly generous sometimes—right?

I think Sky was watching as we shared our private moment; Guardian senses told me, but I didn't look around to see for myself.

"–well Kim was her original charge, and a good one." I tuned in just to hear this statement from Sapphire.

"And I agree, Sapphire," Elle said. Sapphire looked taken aback by the use of her full name—I don't think she'd been called it in a while. "But we also need another Guardian, one that can be equally as close to Cassie." Elle looked around, looking for the Guardian that she was describing. Her eyes laid on Jameson.

"Jameson. I wouldn't let your potential go to waste." Elle noted.

"You already did." He responded bluntly, eyes flashing over to his girlfriend for half a moment. I snickered to myself, catching pretty much everyone off-guard. I mean, it was funny.

Elle shook her head. "You don't think Guarding a baby is harnessing your potential?" She asked. I waited for him to object, feeling the tension, but he didn't. So it was settled, me and Jace with Sky, and Jameson and Kim with Cassie.

So far, it was kind of like I had stepped into a parallel universe.

Elle gnawed at her lip for the next part. I had a feeling that she had ideas, but maybe she felt as if she had dictated too much of the assignments so far.

"If I could just say something," I stepped forward, and Elle welcomed me gratefully. I smiled. "Sapphire and Jonah's part in the mission was probably more dangerous than Avery's, but I don't think that any of them compare to Bria's part. She could've been killed. And probably nearly was."

Everyone in the room acknowledged this, nodding and expressing looks of admiration and approval. Bria blushed under the attention, and I smiled at her. She's a true warrior in the making, as annoying as she is, and I wouldn't know that if it wasn't for Sky.

At that moment, I turned to glance at Sky, who caught my eye and gave me a small smile.

"I want Bria's temporary Guardian to be Elle." It was no mistake that Elle was the most experienced Guardian in the room, and if it wasn't for personal ties, my pairing with Jace and the fact that she knows nothing about Sky, she could've been her Guardian. But she wasn't.

Elle stared at me, shocked for a moment.

Bria, however, nodded. "I would feel more than comfortable with that decision," I smiled. "Even if Elle is the most argumentative person I have ever met." She added quietly, though most of us heard. I laughed.

"Elle, is that okay?" I asked, seeking her approval. Elle nodded, gesturing for me to continue. So I did. This is kind of fun.

I saw Jonah and Sapphire exchange a look. Jonah was Bria's assigned Guardian at the Academy, and I had just assigned Bria to someone else, so the chance of them being together had increased. But we had a problem. We had only one Guardian left to assign and two Special Ones: Avery and Sapphire. The two of them also glanced at each other. In their friendship group, they were an odd pairing; Sapphire was always argumentative, and Avery was probably a devout Christian. Well, I could only assume this from the conversations Sky and I have had about Avery and Sapphire before.

I exchanged a look with Elle; she knew my problem.

"Can we just pause and figure out the groups? We obviously have a problem—due to Guardian shortages—so it might be smarter to get this sorted first." I wasn't sure who I was asking, but everyone nodded nonetheless.

We soon figured out that we needed more Guardians in one group so that we could level out the Special Ones. That meant that one of the Guardian pairings would have to be flexible. All the Guardians in the group would know that they had a responsibility for this one Special One, but the Guardian pairing wouldn't always be busy—definitely not both of them.

"I think this is where Jace and mine's potential kind of runs out—Jace can't be alone." I acknowledged, watching Elle nod.

"And that's exactly why you two work, which means we need our other pairing on board." Kim and Jameson exchanged looks before nodding.

"Perfect." Elle said, coming back into the conversation again.

"Okay, I propose this to you all. Group One will consist of Sky, Alexi and Jace, Cassie, her baby, Jameson and Kim–" I saw Jameson and Sky exchange hopeful looks at this. "–and Sapphire."

Then I saw Jonah and Sapphire exchange heartbroken ones.

"But–"

"–it's too big of a group." I said, interrupting Elle who was about to interrupt Jonah. Everyone simultaneously listened to me.

I cleared my throat. "We can't pair the two groups of three together. It's too big. On top of this," and I'll be a hypocrite for this, "I'm sorry to break hearts but having your significant other in the group may be a little distracting, especially if you're not assigned to them." I added the last bit on, seeing Jameson open his mouth, ready to object. He clamped his mouth shut, seeming to agree with me.

"Therefore, I think Group One should be as follows: Sky with Jace and me, Bria with Elle, and Sapphire. This means that Group Two will be: Cassie and her baby with Jameson and Kim, and Avery with Jonah." I saw Jonah and Sapphire exchange looks with Avery, their pairing now decided.

"Why did you put me on my own?" Sapphire asked.

I smiled. "You aren't necessarily on your own, but to answer your question; you're smart and fierce, and if you were trained, you'd be a damn good Guardian." Whilst Sapphire seemed pleased with her answer, Jonah did not.

After reminding everyone that the groups and charges could be changed at any time, and that I did the best according to our mission, vulnerability of the Special One and the amount of Guardians we had, everyone pretty much settled.

I confirmed it all with Elle, and with her support, our plan was set in stone.

All we had to do now was get the hell out of here.

_________________________________

^^
fully me after school lmao

Actually fully me as I get to school hahahahahaiminpainhahahaha

Anyway

:)

I have questions - CaMILa caBElLo

I'm so triggered by this
Everytime I type I have questions fgs CAmmIllAA CAbELlo

ahem

Thoughts on Lexi and Jace as a guarding pair ;)?
Thoughts on Sky being separated from Jameson and Saph being separated from Jonah?? Omg y'all it's S+J and S+J #shipgoalssquad #sqs
Thoughts on the pairings and groupings?
Thoughts on Lexi's leadership? (That's the spin-off series—April 2020—she's coming)
Thoughts on Bria being a warrior? Saph being a 'damn good Guardian' ??

Wow that's a lot

I don't blame y'all if you don't get them done since I'm updating tomorrow hahahabcimlatebutdonttellanyonehaha

FABULOUS SONGS

Songs that played when I was writing this chapter (in order):
Gateway Drug - Bebe Rexha
Seven Devils - Florence + The Machine
Taken - Marina Kaye
Love and War - Fleurie
Dark Doo Wop - MS MR
Big Guns - Ruelle
I'll Hold My Breath - Ellie Goulding
You Had Your Fun - Marina Kaye
Run For Cover - Gabrielle Aplin
I Gave It All - Aquilo
Hurricane - MS MR

END OF FABULOUS SONGS

Date written:
30/03/18 (still in moderate pain)
I really wrote two chapters whilst having period pains, what a legend

___________
Next update: Wednesday
___________

I actually drew it out

It was so damn confusing I'll tell you now

-30/03/18

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE SPOILER:

A car ride can get heated when all the doors are locked.

When the sun falls, where will our team set up camp?

Hopefully somewhere where the secrets can't be dug up by accident.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322 40 16
2nd Place in The Dragon Fire Awards 3rd Place in Science Fiction in the Tricolour Terrenial Awards. " No one was truly your own in this world. Everyo...
19K 921 12
Your father and your brother are the only two men in your life, protecting you from everything, until you meet your brother's best friend, who's tota...
1K 340 51
It may be a small town. But it has its many secrets. ----------------------------- "Sweetie, I just want to help you." "And how are you going to do t...
Runners By Lbooks01

Teen Fiction

7.6K 146 32
They balance each-other out. One the calm, the other the storm. Except when they don't. Except when she loses it and makes the place burn...literally...