Evolution (Book 1 of POE chro...

By shadowcheah

*Over 1.4 million reads - published on Amazon* My name is Abigail Beckett, and this is 2415, the human race i... More

A quick word before you read...
Evolution
Chapter 1 My name is Abigail
Chapter 2 Legre
Chapter 3 Questions for Answers
Chapter 4 POE
Chapter 5 Goodbyes
Chapter 6 New Beginnings
Chapter 7 Tests
Chapter 8 Ancient Hisotry
Chapter 9 Fresh Meat
Chapter 10 New friends
Chapter 11 You are Mental
Chapter 12 Games that we play
Chapter 13 Team building
Chapter 14 Out of Control
Chapter 15 What I am capable of
Chapter 16 Dodge
Chapter 18 Family
Chapter 19 Ready or Not
Chapter 20 Let the game begins
Chapter 21 I believe I can fly
Chapter 22 Error
Chapter 23 Past Present Future
Chapter 24 Wait what?
Chapter 25 Glitz and Glam
Chapter 26 Don't
Chapter 27 Pax
Chapter 28 It's complicated
Chapter 29 Ruin 18387
Chapter 30 Run
BOOK 2 - SELECTION
The secret origin of Tom Triole - Part 1
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 2
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 3
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole - Part 4
The Secret Origin of Tom Triole Part 5
Christmas + New Year Giveaway [open until 31st Dec, 2016]
EVOLUTION EBOOK IS PERMAFREE

Chapter 17 Mind vs Fire

40.4K 1.2K 118
By shadowcheah

Hey new chapter is up! I have started my summer job and it's actually taking a lot more time off me then I thought! But I will still try and keep writing as much as I can!

Please vote and comment guys :) and hopefully my grammer is better!

-----------------------------

He was still staring at me in shock. His twin followed his line of vision and stared at me too. The rest of the people slowly began to realised what happened and the game just stopped midway, with the two remaining balls bouncing on the court, abandoned.

'Did you see that?' 'She stopped Diego's ball.' 'And hit him in one go...'

Whispers began to break out on both teams and I mentally cringed. I had done it again, hadn't it? Do something that was shocking and undone before in the school in front of everyone. My keeping-a-low-profile thing had totally gone down the drain. I sighed in defeat. The facade that I was so good at putting up back in District 9 just wasn't working here due to my complete lack of POE common sense.

'What are you all doing? Keep playing!' Miss Clarke blew her whistle and shouted at us when she saw we had paused. Everyone immediately began to pick up the balls and the guy on the floor got back up with help from his brother. He gave me a confused and annoyed look before turning to talk to his brother.

I smiled to myself and turned back into the game. I saw that whilst I was engaged with Diego two people were already knocked off our team, whilst Diego was the only one who was eliminated in the opposite team.

Diego dusted himself off and moved outside the court grudgingly. His brother gave him a pat on the back before turning to give me a dirty look. I had to urge to stick my tongue out at him but that would just be plain childish, and seemed too aggressive, like I was challenging him.

Casting me a wary glance a girl who was holding a ball in the opposite team sent the ball flying to our section of the court as far from me as it was possible. I rolled my eyes, so typical of people to go for the weak and avoid the strong (I seemed to flatter myself somehow in this, haha).

Deciding that the girl who it was aimed for did not need my help, I sighed and turned my attention to the other two balls in the game. One was just being pick up by Diego's twin, the other two was just thrown to our side without anybody being hit out.

I quietly backed to a corner of the court and surveyed the game. We were two member short. But one of their main attackers were Diego and his twin, so if I took him out too we will have a chance of wining.

Getting ready to fight him, I suddenly realised with a jolt that why was I trying to win? I was under no obligation to win, nor was I feeling particularly bonded or even remotely friendly with any of my teammates.

Dropping my stance I could felt Diego and his twin's confused glanced on me, but Diego's twin decided not to leave it be and attacked someone else instead. Not that I owed them any explanation to my action. I didn't think drawing any more attention to me was necessarily a good idea. Student bodies' interest was enough; I would like to keep the faculty off me.

Don't get me wrong though, I still played in the game, just not in an aggressive or proactive way. Diego's twin didn't attacked me for the rest of the game, probably aware that I would just whipped his butt and got him kicked out as well. In which case his team would have no chance of wining.

The game had a time limit and by the end of it we had only lost by one person. Even though I had decided against going all out for it I had tried to help discreetly (apparently I wasn't too fond of loosing either, think it might be a running trait upon the POEs).

Redoing my ponytail I turned to see that the other game had just finish as well. The team that Joan was in had won and I gave her a thumbs-up, which she returned with a big smile. I put my hands on my hips as Miss Clarke ordered the wining team to move to the other court and the losing team to come over.

As the other team walked towards us I realised that Tom Triole was there as well. He happened to catch my eyes as he walked by and gave me an equally bewildered look. How could his team lost with him there?

His group settled into position opposite our team. I turned around and listened to my team talk about our strategies for this game. I was simply allocated to the front left because of my telekinesis but they didn't ask me to do anything out of the ordinary. I smirked, amused to know that they were too intimidated by me to ask me to do anything. I was building up quite a reputation here.

'On my count.' Miss Clarke said, distributing the balls by floating them in the center once again and I looked across to realise that the other team had positioned Tom right against me. He was looking at me with his signature frown. I couldn't help but scowl back at him, what was this guy's problem? He acted like everyone in the world had offended him.

The whistle went off, this time I managed to get hold of the ball in front of me, seeing as how Tom's power had absolutely nothing to do with telekinesis. His frown deepened and I gave him a victorious smile, before sending the ball his way.

He immediately tensed and went into a fighting position, but instead of hitting him the ball did a curve and hit the guy behind him with lightning speed.

The look on his face was priceless. I tried to choke back my laughter but some still escaped. Tom shot me a glare and gestured to the boy who got hit to hand him the ball.

Game on. He mouthed to me with a sexy smirk. Okay, I really needed to stop these perverted thoughts of mine about Tom Triole. Shaking my head to clear away those gross thoughts I focused on Tom Triole as he took a careful aim and threw the ball towards me.

The ball erupted in flame as it flew towards me; the heat was so intense that I could feel it about five meters away. It's a miracle that the ball was still whole. My eyes widened as I tried to think of a possible way to deflect the blow or put out the flame, was he trying to kill me?

Fire. Think, what are the ways of putting out a fire without involving water? I raked my brain. Air. God I am such an idiot! Wrapping a mind wall around the ball I tried to draw all the air out of there but failed. I moaned in frustration, feeling precious seconds ticking away as the ball came closer to me. I still had a lot to learn about my power. So instead I did the next best thing. Return it back to its sender.

Mustering enough force to change its momentum on the ball, it changed direction and whoosh back towards Tom. He raised his eyebrow at me and received the ball with ease. He spin the ball on his index finger, and snickered. It was eerie, and yet entrancing how his finger and the ball were enveloped in the orange, flickering flame but were completely unharmed.

'It's that all you have got?' He asked, tsking at me. I rolled my eyes at him. This guy was way too cocky! I was tempted to do a rude gesture to him but refrained myself. We are in public, I reminded myself. Behave.

Instead I shrugged at him, while resisting the urge to just rip the ball out of his hand. That would be against the rule, and Miss Clarke did not look like the type who would take rules breaking lightly. Giving me a challenging look he closed his right hand around the ball like the fire didn't exist and launch the ball at me once again. A streak of fire trail behind the ball as it flew towards me in high speed.

I shook my head as I once again received the ball with no trouble, and with no warning or hesitation, I returned the ball in full force. However instead of aiming it back to Tom Triole, I sent it towards an unsuspecting teammate behind him.

'And you seriously did not think that you could have hit me with that throw, right?' I retorted, as the poor teammate of his got hit square in the chest and caught fire. The people around to him had to pry his shirt off before the fire spread. Oops.

Instinctively sticking out my tongue to myself at my failure I looked back to see Tom giving me a puzzled look. When he realised I was looking back at him he averted his gaze and a suspicious red colour appeared across his face. Was he.....?

Just then Miss Clarke blew her whistle signifying the end of the game. I blinked in surprise, had it been ten minutes already? I swore the game just started! I glanced around to see that apart from me, there was only two more people standing in my court, and it was same in Tom Triole's team.

I looked across and locked eyes with Tom, and somehow we ended up glaring at each other.

'Well, looks like we have a draw here.' Miss Clarke said, coming over to our side of the hall. Tom and me were still having a mini-stare down at each other. This guy always managed to get on my nerves easily the way no one can.

'No.' Tom and I said together, snapping our heads towards Miss Clarke, who looked taken aback by our outburst.

'I am not drawing with him (her)!' we shouted at the same time, turning to glare at each other before looking at Miss Clarke again, who looked half amused, half annoyed by us.

'We will re-match.' Tom said, looking at me. I nodded; no way was I going to draw with this guy. I heard some mutters broke out behind me, I realised with a jolt that I had not asked my teammates and some of them probably didn't want to play again.

'Would that be okay?' I turned around and asked my teammates, who all looked surprised at me asking their opinions. I saw that Tom didn't seem to do the same. Jerk.

'Erm, I guess not.' replied one of the girls, who looked a bit skeptical. I knew that none of them were particularly keen on a re-match, but agreed nether-less because it was Tom Triole and me who were asking.

'We can settle this on our own.' Tom said, waving his team mates aside. At this point Miss Clarke blew her whistle loudly, causing everyone to wince from the piercing noise.

'Who told you you can re-match? When I said you draw, you draw.' She barked, I blinked, slightly take aback. 'Triole, Beckett. Detention.'

'What?!' I felt like my eyes were going to fall out of my socket. Tom looked as shock as I was. A detention? What had we done?

'Speak again; it won't be just for today. Class dismissed.' Miss Clarke said, I heard a few sniggers behind me and I shot them a glare. I was fuming on the inside. I had never gotten a detention before in my life! This is ridiculous.

Huffing I turned and stormed off into the girls changing room, having read enough in Miss Clarke's mind to know that she wasn't going to change her mind. Argh. A waste of a perfectly good afternoon. At least unlike Tom Triole, I only got one day, he now have 6 days.

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~

'Wow, I could not believe you just took down Diego like that! The look on his face!' Joan said in awe, we were getting change in the changing room and I just smiled at her and shook my head.

'I got lucky.' I said, tugging my t-shirt off and stuffing it in my sports bag. A few girls who walked past gave me an evil look, I squirmed a little. As if it wasn't awkward enough with me being in my underwear. Joan saw it too and tried to suppress a laugh.

'You have upset the fan girls of Diego and Iago Gracia.' She said, giggling at the sound of the twin's name. I raised an eyebrow at her, amused by her behavior.

'Fan girls?' I asked, slightly too loud causing several girls around us to shoot us curious glances. Joan ssh me before continuing.

'Yupe.' Joan said, giggling again. ' Diego and Iago are the it boys of the school. They are here since they were ten and are the hottest, cutest and nicest guys in POE Academy, every girl here love them.'

'Seriously?' I asked, surprised. I mean they looked pretty hot, but surely guys like Tom or Oscar would be on the list too? 'But they are hardly the hottest guys in school.' I added in a whisper.

'Like I said, they are the nicest. You can't honestly expect guys like Fred Bowen or Tom Triole to be popular, right?' Joan whispered back. 'Plus, there is two of them, if one is taken, there is still the others.'

I laughed at that. Joan gave me a smile, buttoning her shirt up. 'So they are dating someone?' I asked, my nosiness getting better of me.

'Why? Are you interested?' Joan teased as she pull her shoes on, and laughed when she saw my face or horror. ' Iago is going out with Veronika Tarasvo, Diego just broke up with Megan Hudson.'

'Megan Hudson? As in our Mental section head girl?' I asked, feeling my jaw dropped slightly. Joan nodded and laughed at my expression. I abruptly closed my mouth, feeling like I had been shown a whole new side of the POE Academy.

'Oh great. Now they will never leave me alone.' I sighed as I caught the thought of a girl who just walked past. She was throwing daggers at me for knocking Diego out, thinking I did it on purpose to get his attention.

I shook my head, putting my shoes on. She had no idea that getting more attention on me was the last thing I wanted.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 171 9
Cataclysm, there were no other words to describe it. A mysterious mutation sweeps across the globe, leaving society in a state of destruction and pan...
900 37 27
Connor Hunter's life was as normal as everything was. He attended school regularly with his two best friends. He had average scores which for a guy o...
1M 39.5K 44
(This is the book 2 of POE chronicles - please check out book 1 Evolution first ) Evolution had created us. Allowed us to be different, given us a ch...
29.2K 2.7K 37
*This story is the prequel to the P.O.E. Chronicles and will reveal some mystery in the novel (think Star Wars). If you want to read chronologically...