Grant What I Wish

By kleindog

Rather than perishing in the desert, Marian is rescued and nursed back to health. When it is time to return t... More

Grant What I Wish - Prologue
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 1. A Pawn is Sacrificed
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 2. Rank and File
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 3. The Game Begins
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 4. The Scholar's Mate
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 5. Decoy
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 6. Castling
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 7. Combination
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 8 - Promotion
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 9. Zwischenzug
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 10. Underminings
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 11. Zugzwang
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 12. Intermezzo
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 13. Sacrifice (Part 1)
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 15. Accept
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 16. Berserker
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 17. Brilliancy
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 18. Breakthrough
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 19. End Game - part 1
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 20. End Game - part 2
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 21. Check
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 22. Checkmate
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 23. Two Knights' Endgame
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 24. Immortal, Part I
Grant What I Wish - Chapter 25 - Immortal Game, Part II
Epilogue. The Game Begins

Grant What I Wish - Chapter 14. Blunder

5.4K 39 0
By kleindog

Chapter 14. Blunder

Take an axe to the prison wall.

Escape.

Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.

Do it now.

-Rumi

Nottingham

1195

Isabella stared out the window of the great hall, deep in thought. She was so engrossed in her contemplation that she did not hear the jingle of spurs as her captain walked across the floor to the edge of the landing above her. "M'lady," he called, after two failed attempts to attract her attention by clearing his throat. When she spun about, Blamire announced, "We have received word that the woman Kate arrived in at her mother's hovel in Locksley late last night. She was observed weeping in her mother's arms this morning, my informant tells me."

"That is good news, Blamire," Isabella responded absently, her brow wrinkled in thought. "But I am afraid that forcing Kate back to Locksley will do no more than distract Robin Hood-it will not be enough to tear his gang asunder. No, I must do more." She spun about to face him. "I want you to tell the guards to spread the word that I have pardoned Alan-he is no longer wanted, but free to do as he pleases. Since he has been a traitor once before, it should not be difficult to convince Robin and the others that he has turned traitor again. Yes," she continued, her eyes narrowing in concentration, "the arguments and suspicions that will ensue should be enough to split Robin and his followers apart."

Blamire watched her, a chilly smile on his face. "Very well," he responded, and departed to carry out her orders.

Isabella sighed contentedly. Really, it was all so easy to dupe Robin Hood, she thought. As he duped you, a small voice deep inside of her replied. As the unbidden thought crossed her mind, she clenched her hands into fists. Her face flamed as she remembered the kisses she had so freely given him, and her fervent desire to please him-nay, to be loved by him. She had thought that perhaps he was the man who would love and appreciate her, as she deserved to be loved and appreciated, only to discover that he used her to gather information and act in his own interests. You will see, Robin Hood, that your biggest mistake was spurning me, she thought with vicious intent. If she had her way, he would pay with his life.

********

Archer waited anxiously in the tavern to meet with one of the Nottingham guards. He had a proposition to put forward, and hoped it would earn him the money he so desperately needed. The drunken peasant he had supped with the previous night had let slip information about a secret passageway into the castle.

Since his ill-gotten venture in York, Archer was penniless, possessing nothing but the horse he had purloined, his sword and bow, and the clothes upon his back. If he could turn this information into gold, he would be set for awhile. He was used to living by his wits and traveling on his own. The news that he had family had thrown him off his stride.

He had been alone his whole life; the family that raised him had been cold and unaffectionate, and had informed him at an early age that he was not their true child, but merely entrusted to them for keeping. He had left this home at the age of twelve, and struck out to make his own way. He had worked in stables mucking out stalls, in a travelling act that put on magic acts and did deeds of daring, and once as squire to a knight who had subsequently been killed in the Crusades. That knight had taught him to wield a sword, while his companions had taught him the use of a bow and arrow. At the age of two and twenty, he had become a skilled warrior, and returned to England where he lived by his wits, earning his bread by conning others out of their hard-earned money.

After all of this time, to find out he had two brothers and a sister was something he could not fully comprehend. He had been shaken off his usual stride by the arrival of these brothers in York, even more so when he learned they had come to help engineer his escape. He had been angry-he had neither wanted nor needed their help-and he had brushed them off. He had taken note from Robin and Guy's conversations that he had a sister in a position of wealth and authority; when released from York, he had made his way to Nottingham to offer his assistance to Isabella. She, after all, was the one in a position to enrich him, and he had always aligned himself with those possessing wealth. Granted, she had ordered him thrown into the dungeon, but it took more than that to deter him. The information he had to share with one of Blamire's trusted guards would help Isabella trap her enemies-and line his pockets with gold.

Archer had not reckoned with the stirrings of his conscience. He had mocked Robin Hood, but had taken note of the tales of daring and valor that surrounded him. It was hard to comprehend a man who would give up a title and estate to live in the woods as an outlaw and help the poor while protecting Richard's interests at home. Archer called him an idiot to all who would listen, but he secretly admired Robin so that his conscience bothered him that he was in some way betraying the trust of Hood and Gisbourne. Nonsense, he thought briskly, and motioned to the guard he awaited who now stood in the doorway. The sooner he passed along his information the sooner money would jangle in his pocket once more. He shrugged off this vague feeling of guilt; if his half brothers chose to enter the castle using that passageway, they would have to fend for themselves.

********

Sherwood Forest and Nottingham Castle

"He's been what?" exclaimed Robin, his mouth agape in astonishment.

John grimly explained, "He's been pardoned by Isabella. Word has spread all over Nottingham and throughout the villages. The Sheriff has pardoned Alan."

Several pairs of accusing eyes swung toward Alan, who had approached Robin and John when he heard his name mentioned. He turned pale at the news.

"Surely you-you don't believe what she says, do you?" Alan stammered, dismayed at the cold expressions of those surrounding him. "Robin, I may have done you a wrong turn before, but not now," he pleaded.

"No?" sniffed Much. "How much money did you get this time for selling information about our whereabouts and doings?"

"Nothing! I took no money. I have done nothing wrong," cried Alan, a look of anguish on his face. "You must believe me!"

"We know better than to believe you this time," Much declared angrily.

"John, surely you believe me," Alan appealed to his friend, but John remained stubbornly silent.

Alan's pallor was steadily replaced by a crimson flush of anger. "So, all of you think me capable of such treason?" He glanced around at the stony faces that surrounded him and felt a rising sense of despair. "Very well, then, I'll be on my way." Striding over toward the area where he slept, he quickly gathered his few possessions into a pack, slung the pack over his shoulder, and stalked from the camp.

Robin gazed after him, a troubled look on his face. Turning away, he saw Gisbourne standing on the edge of the camp and caught his steady gaze. "What?" he asked flatly.

Guy shrugged his shoulders. "I believe him. I know you count my word as next to nothing, but it's true. Even when Alan served me, he never gave me any information of value. In fact, he told me very little of your doings. Having been shunned by all of you once before, I find it difficult to believe he would willingly serve Isabella. Not unless she held something over his head, and what would that be?"

"Perhaps I should go after him," Robin said thoughtfully.

"Robin!" Much appeared at his side. "Have you seen Kate? Her bed was not slept in last night."

"No, I have not seen her-could she have gone to her mother's?" Robin replied absently.

"She surely would have told us," Much replied stoutly.

Robin sighed heavily. "Well, we shall have to seek her out later-if she is with her mother, she is safe. Right now, we must go to Nottingham. Tuck, you and John must find a way to prevent the troops from leading the conscripted soldiers from the castle. Gisbourne, we must find Isabella and confine her to a cell so that we can take control of the castle."

They all nodded, having reviewed the plan the previous day. It was not the most solid of plans, Guy thought bleakly, but it was the best that they had.

Robin instructed Much, "Stay here with Meg, and await Kate. If she returns, tell her to remain in Sherwood. I don't need her rushing into the fray at the wrong time."

Much nodded. "If you are to take Nottingham, shouldn't I get Meg to the castle? I cannot leave her behind." The look on Much's face was so pleading and earnest, so shining with concern for the young woman that Robin felt a softening within. Has he fallen in love with that outspoken young girl? he wondered with amusement.

"Very well, I will send word when we have captured Isabella and secured the castle." He clapped his friend on the shoulder, and gazed about at the others in their small circle. "This could possibly be the last time we see each other," he said solemnly as he embraced Much. The others followed suit, clasping each other in brotherly camaraderie.

Guy stood on the edge of the camp, solitary and unheeded. He looked away from the small group and his eyes met those of Marian as she climbed the embankment, followed by Ma'mun and Imad. Her gaze was compassionate, and he knew that she alone understood the isolation he felt. She moved to stand beside him, and whispered in a voice for his ears only, "You are not alone-I am here with you." A sense of comfort and peace washed over him, and he had to struggle not to reach out and clasp her hand, so greatly did he long for her touch.

Robin stepped to his side. "I see that your companions are joining us-that is good." He gazed at Marian expectantly, as if waiting for her to speak.

Marian nodded her head in acknowledgement of his words, but said nothing. Instead, she gestured for Robin and Guy to take the lead, and fell in behind them when they strode toward the Great North Road.

She was outwardly calm, the stoic warrior intent upon the mission before them. Inside, she seethed that Guy was once again shunned by Robin and his followers. He had more than proven himself, in her estimation, yet was still considered an outsider-even by John, whose ungrateful life he had saved. She scowled as she trod along behind Robin and Guy. As she glanced up, she saw Guy cast a look at her over his shoulder. When he caught her eye, he threw her a heartening grin and her angry thoughts melted away. He is not dwelling upon it, she thought, but is thinking of what lies ahead. He is a better man than I ever imagined him to be.

She tilted her head and raised her eyebrows at him, and his smile widened-it was not his usual cocky smile, but sweet and tender with affection. She found the corners of her mouth tilting up, and her heart thudded in her chest as she thought, Dear God, can it be possible that I have feelings for him? Her thoughts scattered like dandelion seeds, and she had to struggle to maintain her demeanor. No, what I feel is merely physical attraction, she told herself stoutly. I am infatuated. He is handsome and virile; any woman with eyes in her head would be drawn to him. This is nothing more than a reaction to his physical charms-it is nothing upon which I could build a relationship-or my future.

Ashraf, she thought wildly, did you foresee that this would happen? Surely not-but-your prophecy...her thoughts trailed off as she strove to recall her adoptive father's words. I have seen from the stars and the alignment of the planets that your soul is joined to this dark man...a huge reckoning is coming, for England and her Lionheart...it is foretold that you and your dark man will play an important part in that reckoning... you will be integral... forced to work together.

The prophecy suddenly made perfect sense to her, like pieces of a puzzle that fell together all at the same moment. Richard was returning home, but would be faced with treachery at the hands of his brother. She and Guy were working together to save the men of the Nottingham shires, and to capture and hold Nottingham for Richard. This was the reckoning that Ashraf had foretold-and in which she and Guy were to play a crucial role. He had said nothing about her being fated for Guy, merely that both would play an important part in what came to pass. She trembled in fear for what that might mean-at no time did Ashraf say that they would be successful in their quest.

She had faced death before and had little fear of it now, but the thought of Guy dying made a queer chilliness settle in her heart. I must be vigilant at all times. I cannot allow my emotions to cloud my judgment or watchfulness-for both of our sakes. If our destinies are joined, my life depends upon his, she thought obstinately, ignoring the small protests that her heart made that life might not longer be worth living if this dark man were not in it.

******

It did not take the small group long to reach the entrance to the passageway leading into the castle. Gisbourne had known of this passage and passed that useful information along to Robin to aid in their quest. Everyone was amazed to see how cleverly it was hidden-it looked like an ordinary well, but when the cap was removed, one saw at once that hand- and foot-holds were carved into the sides. It was no more than fifteen feet to the bottom, where it widened into a stone passageway just slightly higher than a man's head.

When all had descended the steps, Robin spoke quietly. "Gisbourne and I will proceed down that passageway until we reach the gates leading to the chamber. You are to remain here to protect the entrance-if any intruders come, whistle for us. When we raise both of the gates, we will whistle for you to join us. At that point, we will move on to the castle as planned-Gisbourne and I will deal with Isabella, and you three will open the gates of the castle for Tuck and the villagers to enter. We must secure the castle-only then we can free the men of Clun and Nettlestown."

Marian's eyes lifted to Guy's face, and he could sense her anxiety. She longed to say to him: Keep yourself safe. Instead, she took up a station near the entrance of the passageway to wait for the signal with Imad and Ma'mun whose faces were grim with determination. Guy knew from the short time he had observed them with Marian that they would give their lives to protect her. Comforted by that knowledge, he proceeded with Robin along the dark, damp corridor.

When they reached the first gate, Robin fumbled about for the rope that lifted the gate. After several attempts to catch the end, he was able to heave the gate up and secure the rope. They entered the small chamber between the first and second gates, and proceeded to lift the second gate.

However, something went dreadfully wrong-at the first tug of the rope, grains of wheat began pouring into the chamber from the grate above, while the first gate dropped with a resounding clang, trapping them in the small space between. The grain swiftly filled the room as both Robin and Guy attempted to climb to the top of the ever growing mound of wheat.

Struggling to stay above the shifting heaps, Guy remembered a story his father had told him when he was a young lad of men who had died falling into large storage bins, literally drowning in the grains that trapped them and cut off all air. Guy realized that this fate lay before him, unless he and Robin could pull off some miracle. "Someone knew we were coming," he shouted at Robin, and Robin grimly nodded in response, not willing to speak in his focus on how to escape.

As the grain covered his face and head, Guy had the fleeting thought that he would never see Marian again on this earthly plain, and deeply regretted that he had not told her how much he loved her. He felt the world go black around him, and only vaguely heard a sound of scrabbling, and urgent voices on the other side of the gate.

Moments later-an eternity later-he felt himself dragged from the wheat and rolled over onto his side. Hands clasped frantically at his shoulders, and he heard a voice rasp, "Gisbourne! Can you hear me?"

A man's voice said breathlessly, "He is not breathing, Mawiyah!" and he felt hands press upon his chest. "Breathe, damn you, you must breathe," he heard someone mutter in a panicked tone. Marian, he thought dazedly, and spat out a mouthful of grain as he began to cough and wheeze.

As he took in great gulps of air, he peered up into Marian's blazing eyes. Before he could think clearly, he reached up to caress her cheek, and she quickly intercepted his hand and squeezed it before rapidly releasing it.

"You have saved me yet again," he wheezed.

"It appears to be my lot in life," she whispered, her heart still pounding in fear.

As they had awaited the signal that all was clear, Archer had appeared with a frightened Kate and informed them about Blamire's plot. They raced down the passageway, terrified that they would be too late.

She reached the gate first and struggled with the rope, but did not have the weight to open the gate herself. Archer and Ma'mud grasped the end behind her, and the three of them were able to heave the gate up so that a torrent of grain filled the hallway.

While Archer and Kate had dug about in search of Robin, Marian sought Guy, sinking her arms in the heaps of wheat to find his form. When she at last found his arm, she lifted him free of the quagmire with strength that she had not known she possessed. Praying fervently, she pressed upon his chest and pounded his back to get him to breathe. Now that she knew he would live, she was able to sink down beside him in exhausted relief.

"What made you come in search of us?" he asked in a feeble tone.

"Your half brother arrived and warned us that the passageway was blocked." She jerked her head in the direction where Robin lay, being ministered to by Kate while Archer stood impassively by. "The blonde one came, too. She has been in tears because she was tricked by your sister into believing that Robin was untrue to her. She has just been explaining all to him-that is why Robin had Isabella's locket-it was all a ruse concocted by Isabella. Kate's mother told her this morning, and she came directly here in search of Robin."

Guy stared at Marian. "Don't you care that Robin loves her?" he asked.

"No, I do not," Marian said crisply. "But this is not the time to be speaking of this-we must continue, if you are able to. This place is not safe for us." Glancing over her shoulder, she spoke a few words in Arabic, and Ma'mud and Imad leaped forward to help Guy to his feet and support him until he felt strong enough to stand on his own.

"What happened?" Robin asked, wheezing to catch his breath.

"Blamire and the guards know of this passageway, and created this trap to prevent entry into the castle," Archer said grimly. "I was on my way here to warn you when I met Kate, and we hastened to overtake you. When we learned from your warriors that you had advanced down the passageway, we came as quickly as we could," In anticipation of Robin's next question, he said, "He knew because I sold him the information."

"Thank you, brother," Robin said dryly, pulling a weeping Kate into the crook of his arm. "It's all right," he said soothingly to her, stroking the back of her head, "it was all a misunderstanding." His voice was tender and his face soft with emotion.

Guy looked apprehensively at Marian, but her demeanor was serene as she watched Kate and Robin.

"How much money did you make this time?" Robin asked in rising anger.

"It is no matter what he did before. He came to warn you, and saved both of you by his actions," Marian said in a rasping voice. Archer looked at her in surprise, as did Robin who had not heard this warrior speak more than one or two words at a time.

After a moment's hesitation, Guy said decisively, "Mawiyah is right. What's done is done-all that matters is that Archer came to our rescue. Thank you...brother." He held out his hand, and after a moment, Archer clasped it. A significant look passed between the two men.

"We had best proceed," Robin said. "Thank you, Archer," he added as an afterthought, and clapped him carelessly on the shoulder before leading the group through the scattered mounds of grain toward the larger underground chamber that led to the castle.

Guy fell behind the others to walk next to Marian, his heart thudding in anticipation. Was she truly as uncaring as she appeared about the relationship between Robin and Kate? Or was she putting on a brave front? It was obvious that something was bothering her-although he could only see a portion of her face, her brow was furrowed as if she were deep in thought.

He was surprised that she had defended Archer; her calm words had helped them to turn their attention to the matter at hand. She was practical and had her emotions well in check, unlike that silly girl that Hood fancied. How could he love one like that after loving Marian? he thought in bafflement.

They emerged onto the castle grounds through a grate in an alleyway off of the marketplace. Keeping close to the wall in the shadows, they moved toward the main gate. The small band carefully climbed the stairs to the battlements, taking care to remain out of sight.

Halfway up the steps, Robin nudged Guy and pointed at Isabella and Blamire and several guards on the curtain wall overlooking the moat. Isabella was shouting something in an angry voice, and the captain of the guards was gesturing, as if he argued with her. When they reached the wall, Robin and Guy peered over the wall and saw what caused her consternation.

Tuck, John, and the men of Locksley sat on the bridge that crossed the moat about the castle, forming a human blockade through which it was apparent the guards of Nottingham were unwilling to pass. Guy could see the soldiers glancing uneasily among themselves. Fighting armed men was one thing; fighting unarmed men, one of whom was a friar, was an entirely different proposition. Most of these men recognized the men from Locksley-they often drank with them at the tavern, and purchased wares and food from them. Some were married to sisters or daughters. No one wanted to kill these men who did not threaten them, but merely blocked their way.

An uneasy hush fell over the crowd, broken by Isabella's harsh voice. She called out to the guards below, "Why do you wait? Remove them from the bridge by whatever means is necessary!" But no one moved.

Turning to a guard, she snatched a crossbow from his lax hands. Aiming carefully, she fired and struck Tuck through the upper arm and chest. His comrades watched in horror as he swayed; however, beyond grimacing with pain, he did not falter, but sat up straight as though nothing had happened. A murmur of consternation passed through the guards and inhabitants of Nottingham-would the sheriff murder innocent men, they wondered? One by one, the guards at the gate turned and re-entered the castle, while those on the wall left Isabella's side and descended the stairs, melting into the crowd below.

In desperation, Isabella turned to her captain of the guards. "Blamire-" she began, but he cut her off with a raised hand.

"I am leaving you now," he said crisply, turning to follow the other soldiers to the courtyard below.

"Leaving?" she cried out in panic, "You are leaving me alone?"

He nodded grimly. "Yes-the time has come. I have elsewhere I must be." With a flick of his cape, he showed her his back and ran down the stairs two at a time.

Before she could bark out another order, she was clasped by the wrist and spun about. Robin Hood stood before her, a murderous expression on his face.

"The game is over, Isabella," he gritted out through his teeth. "We claim this castle in the name of King Richard. Your services as sheriff are no longer required."

Casting a wild glance around, she saw her brother, the man who claimed to be her brother, Kate, and the warriors from the Holy Land. As she looked at the slightest of the warriors, she felt her fury mount-this person had saved her brother from death twice now, and probably had assisted in his rescue in the tunnels below. Narrowing her eyes, she hissed, "You! You have helped my brother escape his fate for the last time. He will pay for all the evil he has done. And when I am free again and restored to power, I shall deal with you!"

She wrenched herself from Robin's grasp, and moved with lethal intent toward Marian. Guy saw her pull a dagger from her waistband and went cold with fear. Before he could cry out a warning, or take more than a step forward, Isabella was spun about and doubled over, her arm twisted behind her in a punishing and unyielding grip. The dagger fell to the stones from her nerveless hand.

Isabella cried out in pain and outrage as Marian thrust the woman from her with enough force that she stumbled and nearly fell. "You understand nothing of fate," Marian said coldly. "Your day of reckoning is nearly upon you."

Isabella rubbed her bruised wrist and stared at the warrior as hatred rose in her breast. "You will pay for that as well as for your misguided interference."

"Take her away to the dungeon, and ensure she is heavily guarded," Robin exclaimed to Archer. He turned to the rest and said, "We must free the men of Clun and Nettlestown, and secure the gates to the passage beneath the castle. John," he called as his compatriot joined him, "Send word to Sherwood for Much." Robin departed with the others close upon his heels, but Guy stayed Marian with a touch on her arm.

"Are you all right?" he asked her. When she nodded, he continued awkwardly, "I am sorry that it has come to this pass between my sister and me. I swear that she has gone mad. She deserves whatever punishment Hood decides to mete out."

"If she is indeed mad, she has been driven to her madness," Marian said softly. Seeing a dark cloud fall over his features, she continued quickly, "I am not condoning what she has done, and I am not blaming you. I merely urge you to have some compassion for your sister. Her marriage and her life afterwards have made her so. Her punishment will come soon enough, when Richard returns and learns of all of the assistance she has provided to Prince John. You must think of how to make your peace with her, if that is possible." She moved toward the stairs, and Guy followed her.

As she prepared to descend the steps, he touched her arm. "You are right," he said grudgingly. "She has been damaged by all that has happened in her life. I will try to be compassionate in my dealings with her."

She gazed at him intently, and murmured, "That is good," before she turned and departed, leaving him to ponder all that she had said.

In short notice, the men of Locksley crowded the courtyard, greeting their compatriots from Clun and Nettlestown with shouts of recognition. Tuck perched upon the edge of a stall while Ma'mun and Marian tended his injury, and Archer rejoined the group with news that Isabella was under lock and key with several guards cautioned to watch her every move.

The mood in the courtyard was festive, as neighbors and friends greeted each other. Eager family members poured into the city gates to reunite with the husbands, brothers, and sons they had feared they would never see again. Guy watched in amusement as Rebecca arrived and tearfully explained her ruse to Robin, who hugged first her and then her daughter. He caught Marian's eye across the courtyard where she was busily employed binding Tuck's shoulder. She did not seem concerned with Hood and Kate, he thought, and his heart lifted. Perhaps she truly did not care for Robin any longer. But could she care for me, he wondered plaintively.

He smiled at the thought, and Marian, watching him surreptitiously beneath her lashes, caught her breath. It was an open, happy smile such as she had never seen upon his face, and she was struck yet again by how handsome he looked when he didn't scowl. He is handsome, she admitted. I would not be human if I were not attracted to him. But as for any attachment-that is impossible, she stubbornly reminded herself.

At that moment, a cart approached swiftly, parting the crowd as it plowed through the thick press of bodies. Guy noted that Much was at the reins, with Meg seated next to him. She looked pale and gripped the sides of her seat as the cart jolted over the rough cobblestones. Robin ran over to greet them, a broad smile on his face. "You have made good time! As you can see, we have been successful," he announced jovially, as Guy helped Meg from the cart.

Robin's smile faltered when he noticed the grief-stricken expression on Much's face.

"I met your messenger on the road," Much explained slowly. "Robin," he choked out and could say no more.

"What is it?" John asked in apprehension as he and the others crowded about the wagon.

Much leapt from his seat, and slowly moved to the back of the wagon bed, his body hunched over in grief. A body lay in the back, covered by a rough blanket. Much peeled the blanket down to reveal Alan's face, eyes staring blankly at the sky.

"No!" John cried out in grief. "No, it can't-not him..."

"He's dead," Much choked out. "I found his body along the Great North Road. Someone stabbed him over and over. He must have bled to death on the side of the road." A tear trickled down his cheek, and he felt a hand clasp his arm. Glancing around, he met Meg's sympathetic gaze, and turned into her open arms to sob uncontrollably, as she held him close.

"Who could have done such a thing?" Robin asked grimly.

"Robin," Much choked out, moving reluctantly from Meg's arms and swiping his eyes on his sleeves, "There's more to tell. While we sat awaiting entrance into the city, one of the guards told us that Alan had not been pardoned-it was a lie Isabella made up, to make us argue and turn upon one another."

"And it worked," John said bitterly. "We would not listen to Alan when he said he was innocent, but instead believed that our friend was a traitor." He turned his back upon his friends to hide the tears that sprang to his eyes.

Guy hung back, unwilling to intrude upon the grief of this small band of comrades. While they speculated on who could have perpetrated such an act, he glanced out of the gates and discerned a flash of colors, and the sparkle of sun off metal. Moving swiftly toward the entrance, he saw men on horseback approaching from a distance-it looked to be an entire regiment of soldiers, with banners flying. He turned and caught Archer's eye, and the two men strode quickly to through the gate to investigate.

As they watched, the soldiers spread out, forming a large semi-circle around the perimeter of the castle grounds. It was more than one regiment, he calculated-perhaps two or three. In the center of the soldiers sat a familiar, squat figure upon a white horse. Guy sucked in his breath in disbelief.

"Who is it?" Archer asked tautly.

"It's Vasey," Guy replied in a low, deadly voice. "The Sheriff of Nottingham has come back from the dead." Running back into the compound, he cried out, "Man the battlements! Close and barricade the gates-quickly!"

©2010, kleindog, All Rights Reserved.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.7K 499 35
This is a fanfic that follows Princess Melody, a rebellious princess who encounters Robin Hood and his men. She soon feels drawn to one of them. They...
2.6K 82 10
Robin has returned from the Crusades, hoping to take up where he left off with Marian, his childhood sweetheart. However, with Guy of Gisborne determ...
21.7K 395 32
Sir Guy has been hauled from Nottingham by Prince John's soldiers after Sherrif Vasey blames him for the lack of sufficient tribute monies collected...
39.7K 1K 20
The Dubois Manor, the home and family of Maid Marian had many servants within their walls. However a certain maid is by far the most peculiar one of...