Ace of Hearts

By vintage_grace

Do you ever feel like your life is in the middle of a hurricane? Like your whole existence is in the eye of t... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
Epilogue
Book 2

11

129 5 2
By vintage_grace

"Are you sure you're going to be alright?" Kol questions for the millionth time as he leans against the doorframe of my apartment.

"No, but I'll do my best." I tell him with a sigh. "Goodnight."

"Night, Lee." Kol grins from ear to ear as he watches me enter my apartment. Although, he makes no move to leave just yet.

I roll my eyes at him as I walk inside and shut the door behind me. My head falls against the door, and I try not to smile. Despite every bad thing that happened tonight, there was some good. I have to remind myself of that as I pass through the apartment.

There's a stutter to my stride when I hear mangled breathing. I walk into my dad's bedroom to find him like I usually do these days, with a bottle in his hand and bloodshot, red-rimmed eyes. His gaze is fixed on the hardwood floor and remains on the one spot even as the door closes. "Dad, we need to talk."

"I know, Lee. I–"

"No. I need to say this before I lose my chance." I shift my weight between my feet, and take a deep breath before starting the speech I've rehearsed in my head a hundred times. Tonight can't get any worse, so I might as well get this over with now.

"I know you're in pain right now, but I want you to know that I can handle you talking about it. In fact, that would be much easier for me to handle than coming here at one in the afternoon to find you drunk and beaten because you got in a fight. It hurts me more than you and mom splitting up.

"Please, you have to talk to me about this stuff. My heart wants to break when I see you like this. If you need me to stay here longer than I can. Because I can't leave until I know you're okay on your own. I already called Jade and told her I'll be here for a little bit longer, and she understands. None of it means anything unless you let me help you, Dad. Please, just let me in." Tears are streaming down my face with each word, and I know he's not looking at me to avoid more of his guilt.

When he finally meets my eyes, his eyes are filled with tears. His voice comes out weak and shaming as he speaks. "I'll do my best, Lee. It's just, I've loved your Mom since I was your age, and I still do. I just want her back, but I don't know if that will happen. She's still upset at me for things long past."

I sigh as I realize there are more secrets they're still keeping from me, and now, he's practically given up on everything. The fabric of the cushions makes a rumbling noise as I sit down next to him.

"You and Mom have always had your differences and always will. That doesn't mean you two can't work through whatever is going on between you two. It might just take a bit of time before that happens, but I firmly believe it will."

"How did I get so lucky as to have a kid like you?" He soberly chuckles as he wraps an arm around my shoulder.

"I like to think that I had some really great parents." I reply and wrap him in a hug. "I'm going to turn in for the night. Breakfast in the morning?"

"Sounds good, bean." He smiles and turns on the television, which I know he'll use to distract himself from his thoughts for the rest of the night.

. . .

Another week went by in a jumbled mess of anxiety, laughter, and everything in between.

Kol and I continued on as friends. The disastrous attempt at a first day was our sign that maybe we should let things settle down a bit before getting involved, but it couldn't keep us from acting like a couple on dates every night. We just both pretend it's under the title of 'friends.'

"Wait, so you and Kol are spending time together? Please, tell me you're going out with him." Jade squeals as she wiggles her eyebrows at me through my computer screen.

"No, we're barely friends right now." I lie as I scroll through my Instagram feed. "He's helping me with research for a story. I mean, Kol still hasn't really opened up. I've barely learned anything about him these past weeks. Plus, you know I can't let myself get hurt again."

"Sweetie, I know that better than anyone, and all this drama doesn't help you. That doesn't mean you can't give him a chance. Give him the chance to see the real him before you make any decisions." Jade pauses for a second as she tilted her head to the side with a devious grin. "Plus, if he ever hurts you, I'll kick his butt into oblivion."

"I know, and it's one of the many reasons your my best friend." The knock at the door interrupts our conversation, and I tell Jade to wait for a moment while I answer it.

"Hello, darling." Kol smiles as he leans against the doorframe.

"Don't worry, J. It's just Kol." I call over my shoulder to my open computer, where Jade is sitting with a knowing grin. "Let me just grab my jacket, and I'll be ready to go."

"Oooh. Are you two finally going on a date?" Jade questions, to which I roll my eyes.

"Goodbye, Jade." I giggle as I log off and shut my computer. Then I notice Kol still is waiting at the door. "Why are you–?"

"I'm a vampire, darling. Or did you forget?"

I avoid looking at him so he doesn't get the satisfaction of knowing he's right. For a moment, I forgot he was one of the famed 'Originals' as the Mikaelson's are referred to. "Well, I hope you like the view from the doorway, because it's the only one you're getting. I'm officially declaring this apartment a no vampire zone."

"Why would you ever want to do that?" He teases as I meet him in the hallway. "I thought for sure you would be the perfect hostess to everyone."

"Flattery isn't going to get you anywhere. I sleep better with the knowledge that you can't come into the place where I sleep anytime you like. It's my Kol-free space."

Kol clutches a hand to his chest and feigns injury. "That hurts, darling. It truly hurts."

"I didn't realize originals were so wimpy." I tease as I nudge him with my shoulder as we walk. "So what's the plan for tonight?"

"I was thinking our usual spot at the Grill, if that's alright with you." I nod and smile up at him as we walk along the street. The entire way, Kol and I talk about nothing and everything. "You are so much different than I ever expected you to be."

"Is that a good or bad thing?"

"A very good thing." That's all he says as he takes my hand. My heart stutters at his touch, which was something I never expected to happen. Kol obviously notices the change in my heart rate because a smirk emerges across his face. Sometimes I really hate vampires and their crazy good hearing.

"You know, you're different than I expected–without your mask I mean." I comment not really thinking about what I'm saying. "Why didn't you let me see it sooner? Is it so bad that you could be kind or care?"

"Maybe, it depends on who I care about."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I ask him, but he doesn't get the chance to answer before a round of shouting echoes through the crowded restaurant.

One familiar voice stands out in the argument. A shiver runs down my spine, and I feel ice water running through my veins. My dad's words are slurred and jumbled against the chaos in the restaurant. Multiple shouts are mingling together, and my own voice adds into the mix as I shove my way through the tables.

Two men are standing beside the bar. One is clearly drunk, and the other, while likely buzzed, keeps a tight grip on his glass. Both of them are in the others faces shouting about nonsense only they understand. Neither of them notice my approach until I step in between them.

"Move aside, princess. This doesn't involve you." The dark haired stranger, who seems so familiar for some reason, seethes in my face.

"Yes, it does." I push him aside as I turn to my dad. "Two days you've been sober, dad. Now I find out, you could only make it one week before you got drunk and started a fight?"

He shifts his jaw and avoids looking at me. "Lee, it–I–"

"Go home. We can talk about this later." I tell him with a sigh and run my hand through my hair.

I assumed that would be the end of it. Although, the stranger didn't get the message. "This isn't over. Or would you rather deal with what he started?" I turn on my heels to face him, and the darkness of his gaze makes me nauseated. He grins like a Cheshire as he moves a hand to stroke my hair.

I quickly grip his wrist with a tight grip. "Don't. Mess. With. Me." I growl, but my anger stops immediately when I notice the ashen, deathly look on his fingertips.

My hand releases of its own accord, and I rush back to the table with Kol. "I need to get out of here." I try to keep my breathing steady as a fresh wave of tears comes to my eyes. "I need to leave." My feet move without me as I run out of the grill with tears streaming down my face.

Each breath I take feels like I'm trying to inhale through a coffee straw. The lights from the Grill all seem blindingly bright, sounds make my eardrums pound, and my head is all foggy. I shut my eyes as tight as I can in an effort to push it all away. "Lee, you have to breath." Kol's voice fades in and out, and I struggle to process what he's saying.

He quickly realizes that simply talking me down from a panic attack isn't going to work. Instead, his arms quickly wrap around me and holds me against his chest with all his considerable strength.

My lungs are forced to release the small amount of air inside them. Afterwards, they find it much easier to accept the oxygen they crave. "I almost did it again." I sob into his chest. "I nearly hurt someone else. What am I supposed to do? I mean, I clearly can't control it. I'm not strong enough for this."

I push away from him before I start walking down the street. There is no specific destination in mind. As long as I'm away from anyone I can hurt, I'll be fine. "You really think you can just run away from your problems?" Kol asks as he catches up with me, and I ignore him. He sighs and grabs my hand. "Let's go."

"Go where?" I question too tired to fight him right now.

"Away. If you want to run from your problems for a night, then I'm going to help." He tells me, and for a split second, there's a flash of pain in his eyes. He doesn't say anything, which I am immensely grateful for.

Instead, he shocks me in a way I never saw coming. I guess, what throws me off most is the kiss. Kol's lips on mine in a breathless moment that makes forget for a split second why I was crying.

It's the kind of kiss you see in Hollywood movies or imagine that perfect moment. The one that makes your heart swell and knees weak. When we part, I look at Kol in shock unable to process what just happened.

Instead of speaking, he effortlessly scoops me into his arms and takes me back to his house. I continue to wipe away tears as my knees buckle beneath me. "You're going to be alright, darling." He whispers as he passes me one of his shirts and a pair of sweats before giving me a moment to change.

"Thank you." My voice falters as he pulls his soft duvet up over my shoulders. "Are you going to stay?" I ask and want to slap myself for sounding so pathetic. Although, Kol doesn't seem to notice as he lays down on the mattress next to me, and his arm snake around my waist to pull me into his chest. "Don't leave." Is all I manage to say before my eyelids grow heavy.

The last thing my brain registers is Kol kissing the top of my head and barely whispering, "I don't plan on it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

251K 8.5K 71
"I've spent my whole life finding you. It's a bit too late for regrets. I love you, Nora Mikaelson. For a thousand years, I've loved you as my best f...
1.2M 9 1
IT IS SAID BY MANY THAT OUR FATE IS UNDETERMINABLE, that no matter how great we are today, we may fall and become nothing but dust tomorrow. Yesterda...
205K 7.8K 67
No one knows what happens when you die. It's a mystery that has always been. So when my time came, I accepted it with open arms. But as I entered my...
514K 10.2K 38
After the incident is 1864 everyone in mystic falls including the Salvatore brothers assumed their youngest sister was dead. She had fled the town to...