Bella Vita Excerpt

Von Jesse_KimmelFreeman

The sequel to Bella Notte Mehr

Bella Vita Excerpt
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Five

17.4K 319 128
Von Jesse_KimmelFreeman

Life was changing quickly. Grandpa had talked to the board and they agreed to support my new class. It was to begin the following week. I was also instructed to start slowly working my way through the student body to see if I could find more special abilities. They had given me the week off to get everything sorted out. I decided that this would be my week to go to Ireland. My time was becoming limited, but it was something I needed to do. Sometimes life isn't about what you have to do, but more about what you need to do- this was one of those things.

The plans were already in place, all I needed was to add in the date. Dominic wasn't happy about my going- he wasn't able to take the time to come with me. Things were too busy with his classes and getting his side of the details for our wedding worked out. He was also working with Grandpa to start the process for our move to the castle-palace thing that would occur after the wedding. Things were moving so quickly. When I stopped to think about it, my pulse kicked up to what would be considered normal if I was still human.

I packed up my bag, I would leave tonight. I'll figure out everything and come back and be peaceful for my wedding. So I kept telling myself. With all the plans in order, I suddenly felt very unsure. I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing anymore. Surely I can't live with the what ifs for the rest of my damn life. I knew I couldn't, it wasn't something I could deal with. With my bag packed, I laid down on my bed. My thoughts wandered in all directions, and slowly I fell asleep.

I really hated the feeling when you wake up and you think that it's nighttime, but you've only fallen asleep for a quick nap. The feeling of panic and disorientation that came along with it was horrible, and to think that something as simple as a nap could do that to you. When I woke up, my mouth was dry, my eyes felt heavy and thick, and I wasn't sure where I was or what time it was. It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. I blinked the sleep away and tried without much success to unstick my tongue from the roof of my mouth.

When my eyes were able to focus, I found Dominic sitting in my room. I blinked hard to make sure I wasn't imagining it.

“Hey you. I was just going to look for you.” I smiled at him.

“Where are you going, mia bella?” He was worried.

“Oh...” I laughed. “ I'm going to Ireland while I can before life turns to chaos.” It must've looked worse to him because when I told him he let out a long breath.

“Okay. Do you need a ride to the airport?” He smiled at me but sadness replaced the worry.

“Yes, of course, I want a ride to the airport! And stop looking like someone just killed your favorite pet, I'm going so life is easier for us when I get back.” I sighed and shook my head.

“I know, my Little Emma Bird, but it still hurts that you have to do this trip in the first place. I wish we never left and moved here.” He turned from me.

“If you hadn't moved I would've never had the chance to fall in love with you as an adult.” I walked over to him and stroked his cheek.

His cheeks flushed just enough to let me know that I had smoothed over some of his hurt. I knew I would never be able to fix it all, but it was one of the things that he had accepted when he decided that I was going to be his queen.

“Okay, so I'll meet you downstairs in about thirty minutes so we can eat before we leave.” He walked over to the door.

“Okay. I'll shower and switch into traveling clothes.” I headed over to my closet. I pulled out a pair of bright green chucks- not neon, a pair of black yoga pants, and a black tank top. My Jack Skellington grey sweatshirt was on the bottom of my bed. I sighed and went into the bathroom.

I was downstairs about thirty minutes later. My bags sat by the door. I was planning on being gone the entire week- even if I wasn't spending most of that time with Mike, I needed the time to think. And I couldn't think of a better place than Ireland. Dom was in the kitchen with a cup of cocoa for me and some tasty looking sandwich. I plopped myself down in front of it.

“Thanks!” I beamed at him.

“I had to make sure you ate well before you left. And to remind you of my mad skills in the kitchen.” He winked at me.

I laughed and bit into the sandwich.

The ride over to the airport was nice and quick. I had made the arrangements with our private jet this time. No secrets and nothing to hide. Dominic drove me in his sleek black sports car. The world zoomed by and we drifted in and out of easy conversation.

The small airport came into view from the tree lined road and I felt pangs of worry coming off Dom.

“I'll be back before you know it.” I punched him in the shoulder lightly.

“I know. And you know that you can come back before you're scheduled to, the pilot never minds that.” He tried to smile.

“Yes, I know.” I tried not to stiffen, but it was difficult.

“Let me help you with your bags to the plane.” He quickly parked the car and got out.

He's just nervous I won't come back, he's trying to help me do what I need to do. I need to remember this. I took a deep breath and got out of the car.

Dom had my bags. I asked if he could take them into the plane for me. I wanted him to be happy... but he was suddenly becoming very possessive. He came back out and stood for a moment just outside of my reach.

Mia bella, ti amo.” He took my hand and kissed it.

Ti amo, Dom. I'll be home soon enough. So stop worrying.” I kissed his lips gently.

He nodded his head and walked me over to the door. “Be safe, Merry Meet and Merry Part, Princess.” He bowed slightly.

I laughed. “You are such a dork.” I kissed his cheek and then went inside the plane. “Bye.” I waved as they shut the door.

I watched Dom wave to me until they started preparing to take off. He left the same way we came, but somehow it looked very lonely and as though he was falling into despair. I thought about contacting him through our link, but I thought better of it.

The flight was about three hours. The weather was beautiful. I could see the small world below as we flew into the heavens above. It was like stepping into a different universe. Dominic had shown that to me, and it was something that I treasured about flying. I had instructed the pilot to try and land as close to the school as possible. It was in Castlekelly, and I knew that there had been some sort of magic placed on it so that planes didn't fly over it or close to it. We landed in a field a few miles away. I pulled my bags out of the plane as the pilot pulled my Harley out of the back.

Merry Part, Princess. Should you need to leave before our scheduled time just let me know. Otherwise I'll meet you here at the end of the week. The pilot's voice was rich and smooth like honey.

Merry Part, Henry. Thank you and I'll see you at the end of the week. I replied and tied my bags onto my bike.

Once I was moving, the world fell away and all I could feel was the connection to the old land. I sent a mental message to Dom to let him know I got there okay, but I didn't stay connected long enough for him to start a conversation with me. The air smelt green and full of life. My energy felt like the world had opened up to me and whispered that I could have it all. I was glad I came.

As soon as I hit the school's land I knew. It was like walking through ice. My entire body went cold and I felt like I was going to go into shock. However, one of the nice aspects to being a vampire was that my body temperature was naturally lower than most people. So the cold didn't stop me, I went on. I had done my research about the area. There was a small inn that was just over a hill from the school- still on their land, but not owned by the school itself. It was a place where I could get away with staying without causing too much commotion. I had paid in advance for my room, I also gave them extra for the short notice- even though they refused in the beginning. I had researched the inn, it was barely making ends meet because of the magic the school had put into place- they kept normal folks away. This place seriously needed the money. I also decided that I would be leaving them a very generous tip when I left.

When I arrived at the inn, I fell in love. The outside was painted a simple white wash. The roof was thatched in a traditional Irish way. Around the door and windows, the frames were painted a nice deep hunter green. It was like I had stepped into a storybook, it was just so damn quaint. I parked my bike outside, I didn't see anywhere else to store it for now. I grabbed my bags and went into the warm and welcoming inn.

A roundish woman with fiery red hair and sea glass green eyes stood behind the small oak counter. When the little bell above the door chimed, she looked up at me. Her face lit up like it was Christmas or something.

Dia dhuit.” Her native Irish had the slightest hints of a Leinster dialect to it.

Dia is Muire dhuit.” I responded with the traditional reply to her greeting of 'May God Bless You.' I didn't understand why I had to say that God and Mary should bless her but I did what I was supposed to do.

Conas atá tú?” She seemed generally interested in how I was doing, it was so strange to walk into a place and to have a stranger actually care.

Táim go maith.” I was fluent enough to tell her I was was well, I enjoyed using the Irish I learned in high school when I wanted to come here.

Conas atá tú?” I asked the woman.

Táim go maith.” She replied. “Cad is ainm duit?

“Emma Hutchinson is ainm dom.” I told the woman what my name was when she asked.

Tá brón orm. I'm so sorry, Miss Hutchinson. Here I am blabbing away and yer probably tired from yer long journey.” The woman's smile dropped.

“Oh, not to worry. I was enjoying our conversation. I haven't used my Irish since high school.” I beamed at her.

“I've to tell yah, I thought yer were a natural. I'm Moira, by the way.” She held out her hand.

Deas bualadh leat, Moira.” I shook her hand with bright red polish on it.

“The pleasure is mine, Miss Emma. Here let me help yah with yer bags.” I watched as Moira moved out from behind the counter, that was when I realized she must've been at least six months pregnant.

“That's quite all right. Do you know what sex the baby is?” I smiled down at her small mound.

“I wish. The doctor keeps checking, but the wee one won't show us.” She patted her belly affectionately.

“I could tell you what you're having. I've a knack for such things.” I lied to the woman about my ability, I could tell she would be having a little boy from the moment I saw her belly.

“Truly? What do yah think it's?” She leaned against the counter for support.

“It'll be a boy. He will be strong and healthy, and I can already tell that he loves his momma very much.” The words came out like they were waiting to be said since the dawn of time.

Deas bualadh leat. Thank yah so much. I feel like yer right.” Her eyes became lost in thought.

Go ndéanaí mhaith duit, you're welcome.” It was so nice to see the woman look so happy.

“Oh, right. Let's get yah settled. Níl aon tintéan mar do thintéan féin. So let's make this place yer home for the next week.” She let me take my own bags and then slightly hobbled into the next room and up a small flight of steps.

Moira had to stop at the top of the stairs for a minute to catch her breath. I offered her just to tell me and I could get myself to my room, but she insisted that she was going to do her job. I loved her stubborn nature. It reminded me so much of my own.

The room was bright. It had a large window that overlooked the small, but well maintained garden in the back. There was a brass bed with a beautiful quilted blanket on it. A small chest was at the foot of the bed for my belongings. There was a white porcelain sink in the room, for freshening up without having to leave my room. The walls were a gentle yellow with a border of small delicate feminine flowers. It was a nice springy room.

“Is it to yer liking, Miss Emma?” Moira stood nervously in the doorway as I set my bags down.

“I love it. Where do I find the bathroom? Oh and is there some place I can park my motorcycle, I left it out front.” I beamed at her.

“The bathroom is down the hall to the left, there are fresh towels in the cupboard and a robe on the back of yer door. As fer yer bike, I figure yah can bring it to the back. We have a covered carport. I could have one of the men take it round back for yah if yah want.” Moira looked a bit tired.

“No, that's fine. I can take it there myself. How about you go rest a bit? I promise I'll give you a call if I need anything.” I watched as Moira's face relaxed just a little bit.

“Right, but only if yer sure.” She said as she inched out of the door.

“Yes. I'm sure.” I waved to her as she left.

“Oh, one more thing. We have dinner around sixish, breakfast around eight, and lunch is at noon. If there's anything else yah need just let me know, I'll be downstairs in the front.” She closed my door as she left.

I listened as her steps slowly crept their way down the hall and eventually down the stairs. I could tell that her pregnancy was weighing on her, but I also knew she'd be one of the greatest and happiest mothers around. As with all pregnancies, she would forget all of this strife.

I slowly turned around my room. It was such an interesting contrast to my room back home. I sent Dominic a mental message letting him know that I had made it to my motel. Again, I broke contact before he could respond. I wasn't ready to let home invade this personal haven I felt like I was taking, at least not yet. I sat on the bed. It wasn't nearly as squishy as mine, but it was still soft enough that I would be able to sleep on it comfortably. I looked at the window as I sat on the beautiful blanket. I could feel the love that went into each stitch, just as I could see the devotion that went into the garden and small yard. The entire inn radiated an energy of love. As I sat there soaking in these pleasant emotions, I made a silent vow to ensure that this place would never have to lose any of that. I decided I would be its silent benefactor to it. It would never want, but I would never interfere with it either. It was perfect just the way it was. I smiled to myself, knowing that for once my wealth would go to something that mattered.

I stood and stretched. It was so nice to feel just relaxed. I looked down at my engagement ring and knew that my life wouldn't hold a lot of moments like this- not if I was going to be the queen that the vampires needed. This trip suddenly became my moment, my time to be me before I had to be what they needed and wanted me to be. I would be the best queen they had, the one that would change what needed to be changed, but I would always be able to go back to this moment and remember my calm. Yes, this was a good choice. I shook my head and went downstairs to move my bike.

When I came back in Moira was watching a small television behind the counter. She looked quite content. She was even knitting something that was blue and she had clearly just started. I smiled.

“Never too soon to start making things fer him.” She waved the beginnings of what I thought to be a hat at me as I waved to her.

“I couldn't agree more. I'm sure he'll look beautiful in it. Have you a name for him yet?” I leaned on the counter.

“No, but I like Michael, or Patrick. Or maybe Liam, Diarmuid... hmm, I'll have to talk to my fear céile.” Her laugh was cheery.

“I think those are all fine names for a nice Irish lad. Perhaps all of them. I know my friend that is from here has like five or six names.” I laughed.

“Aye, that they probably do. We do like to give names.” She smiled. “Was there something that yah were needing?”

“Actually, I was wondering if it was usually okay for people to stroll up by that school over on the other side there?” I thrust my thumb over my shoulder.

“Aye. I've never heard any other. Are yah planning on going out fer a walk then?” She eyed the door enviously.

“I thought I might pop up there and look around. It was something I saw when we flew over.” I smiled at her as I pulled on my coat and newsboy hat.

“Well, be safe. Just call the inn if yah need anything. The school people aren't as welcoming to folks as most in these parts.” She shifted uncomfortably in her chair.

“No worries, Moira. I've a friend up there. Do you need anything before I head over? Honestly?” I eyed her tea cup.

“No, dear. I've got me a full pot right here.” She patted a small tea pot I hadn't noticed earlier. “Yah go and have fun.”

“Okay, well if you need anything, just phone my cell.” It was my contact number, I turned and left- I really hoped she would call if she needed anything, I felt for her.

The walk over was quick enough for me. I memorized the landscape in case I needed to know any of the small details. I really didn't know how Acacia, Mike's fiancée, would receive me being here or if the school would get all bent out of shape. I also had no clue if they taught werewolves to kill vampires at this school. My heartbeat jumped up with the thought that I might have to fight for my life. It created a giddy feeling. I secretly wanted that kind of excitement in my life, I wasn't sure that being a politician was where my heart truly was.

I sent out mental probes to get a feel for the students and school itself once I got closer to the actual structure. The day was becoming seriously overcast and a light drizzle had started so there was not a lot of outside activity going on. I tried to feel for Mike, but it was near impossible with so many werewolves around. Their presence seemed to create a constant flow of energy. It took me about half an hour before I realized that he was outside. I followed the probing back to him as quickly as I could. I didn't want to be noticed.

He was alone when I finally got to him. He was walking around a lake of sorts. His beautiful auburn hair was slick with the light drizzle. His bright green eyes were lost in thought as he threw stones onto the gray surface of the water. I wasn't sure how to approach him.

Mike. I sent the word to his mind.

“Emma?” His eyes came back to this moment, but he shook his head like he had imagined it.

Mike, turn around. I was behind a tree close to the edge of the water.

I watched him turn slowly. I stepped out from behind the tree. His face lit up. I stood my ground- I wasn't sure how he would react. He took a timid step towards me, then it was as though he decided the hell with caution and ran to me. He caught me in a hug.

“Emma! How did you get here?” His scent was so familiar that it made my heart pang.

“Well, I didn't walk all this way, obviously.” I laughed.

“No shit, Sherlock. When did you get here, how long are you staying? Damn, I've missed you.” He pulled back and stared at my face- his thumb rubbed my cheek gently.

“Whoa, whoa. Slow down, Cowboy. One question at a time. I got here this afternoon, I'm here for a week. And I've missed you too.” I took his hand and led him further into the trees I was using as cover.

“How about we walk by the water?” He smiled his crooked smile at me, and my heart melted.

“I think it might be safer if we stayed closer to the tree line.” I tried not to say that I was worried that his werewolf buddies would rip my heart out.

“Oh, shit. That's right. What are you doing here?! Em, it's dangerous!” His brows pulled together.

“Hey, hey. This was my choice. I needed to see you.” I knew I needed to tell him about the wedding.

“But if they find you here, I don't know how they will react. This area is vampire-free. Your scent will be everywhere. Shit.” Worry was clouding his eyes.

“I've got something to show you, but you have to promise not to freak the devil out, okay?” I looked at him with big eyes.

“Em, I know that look. You know you can trust me.” He crossed his arms across his chest.

“Okay, stay right there.” I stepped behind a larger tree and took off my clothes. I changed into my wolf form.

“Alright, but what are you doing back there?” His voice was curious.

I stepped back out, in my black wolf form. He jumped.

“Emma!” He yelled for me. I stepped closer to him.

Mike, it's me. I sent the words to him.

“What the...” He bent down and looked me in the eye.

I promise, Michael, it's me, Emma. My tongue lolled out of my mouth.

“How?” He stepped back, and I sat back on my haunches.

Well, surely you know how vampires can shapeshift. Well, I'm the first that can shift into a wolf. I smiled at him.

“Wow.” He got closer and smelled the air. “You smell so... so wolf like. Maybe you should stay like that.” He nodded to himself.

Um, what about my clothes? I knew my scent would be on them as well.

“Your clothes...” Mike's face flushed a brilliant crimson.

Yes, my outer wear. I can't shift in and out with them on. Do you guys? I was generally curious about werewolves, even more so because I had this talent.

“Well, some can. I can't, yet.” He looked down at his scoffed Docs.

Hey, clearly you aren't alone. I yipped at him.

“Let me grab your clothes. Then my scent should mask yours somewhat. I've just missed you so much, Em.” He walked behind the tree and grabbed my things.

I know whatcha mean. I've got something else to tell you. I didn't want this nice conversation to spin into something uncomfortable, but I needed to be honest with him.

“You know you can tell me anything and I'll accept it. So shoot.” He had my clothes in his hands and he was rubbing them up and down against himself.

I'm getting married at the end of this month. But I had to see you. It's like part of my very soul calls out for you. I think I'm damaged. I sighed out a long breath.

“Wow. I had heard something. Why come though, Em? You know how this all ends. It doesn't matter if you love me or I you, we have roles to play.” He sat on a rock by the edge of the trees, I padded up close to him and nudged him.

I don't know, Mike. But I had to come. Maybe I'm just selfish, but I needed to see you... it wasn't just a want. I don't think I could do anything else. It was time to come. I felt his hand begin to stroke my fur.

“You're really soft.” He laughed.

That isn't how all of you guys are? I wasn't sure if he was changing the subject or just distracted.

“Not this soft. It's nice... I know what you mean, Em. I was just out here thinking of you. It's been so hard not contacting you. I swear I saw you the other day. But it was like you were there, but then you weren't. I completely know what you mean.” He looked out over the water.

I'm making things worse for you. I'm sorry. How's Acacia? I hoped things were going well for him with her.

“Well, we're going to be married next year. I love her and all, but she isn't you. Dammit. Emma.” He sighed into his hands.

I grabbed my clothes from him with my teeth and rolled over on them a few more times. I moved back into the cover and shifted back. I walked out smelling like a dog. It was an interesting experience.

“Look, Mike. I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to cause more problems. I don't even know what I was hoping to find here.” I walked over to him and bent down in front of him.

“It isn't your fault. You know that. It's like we were born in the wrong lives or bodies or something. If I wasn't this and you weren't that... then we'd be together.” He was gesturing wildly with his arms.

“Yes, but if we weren't us, then we wouldn't be the same people either. It's part of us.” I smiled at him, I really had missed him

“Ugh. Why do you have to say the right things, right now? Can't you lie to me? Tell me I'm right. That for once, even though there's no way now, if life had been different we could've been together, Emma?” He grabbed my arms, his eyes were desperate.

“I'm not going to lie to you, Mike. I've always tried to be honest with you. You've been through a lot with me. You are part of me. It doesn't matter that I'm a vampire and you're supposed to be my sworn enemy. No, that doesn't matter. You've been a part of me since I was a little girl. When no one else was there, you were- in my dreams. I know at times it feels like it would be easier if they could be erased, but it would change us. You've helped to make me, me.” I reached up and placed my hand on his cheek.

“Dammit, Emma.” He shook his head.

“Don't worry so much, Mike.” I laughed.

“Look, I've got to head back in now. Where are you staying? I'll come to you. It's too dangerous for you here. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to you.” His green eyes turned soft.

“I'm at the little inn on the other side of the hill. I could say the same for you, you know.” I stepped back.

“Walk towards the other side of the lake. Then shift and head back the way you came. If your scent is strong enough, they will come after you. It really isn't safe for you here.” He hugged me again.

“Okay, don't worry, Mike. I'll see you around.” I walked away.

Getting back into my room unseen took a little ingenuity. I figured if I was seen running around naked that things wouldn't look so well for me. I had checked the garden area for a place to change back, but there were people in the back. I waited near the door, in the shadow of a storage shack. When I saw Moira walk out, I shot out from behind it and into the house. I made sure that no one was ahead of me and rushed into my room. I dropped my clothes on the floor and shifted back into my human form. I grabbed the robe from the back of the door and went to my window. I could see Moira shifting the dirt around- gardening.

“Excuse me, Moira, is it okay if I take a shower?” I shouted down to her.

“No problem. Go right ahead, honey, I was just about to get dinner started.” She smiled up at me.

“Thank you.” I smiled back at her, and then grabbed my bathroom stuff from my bag and went to get cleaned up.

The entire experience was different than back home. The shower hung over an ancient, yet beautiful, crawl-footed bathtub. There was a clear plastic curtain that wrapped around it all. The water itself was soft, but not the same feel as home. It was like I was suddenly in someone else's shoes. I wasn't sure how I felt about that either.

When I got out of the shower I felt more like me. I smelled like I did, no longer like I was trying to mask my scent in dog. I knew that when I was in my wolf form, I didn't smell entirely like Mike did- not even close, but I also didn't smell like a vampire either. I was something else- something different. It was strange to feel like an outcast amongst creatures that I always thought were fictional, but I knew the feeling too well.

I shuffled down the hallway in my warm robe, and I felt like that the happiness I had experienced earlier had been zapped out of me. I sighed.

In my room, I pulled on some comfy jeans, a tank top, and a large hoodie. I wanted to go to sleep, but I knew I needed to go and eat some of the delicious smelling food. I was certain that Moira went out of her way to make something special for me.

The steps creaked ever so slightly as I walked downstairs. I followed my nose into a small, but quaint dining area. I was in need of some blood, so I mixed a few drops into the cranberry juice that was sitting on the table for me. I went to ask if she needed any help, but I found her talking animatedly to a tall gentleman with deep reddish color hair and a beard. I quietly stepped back into the dining area and sat down. I could hear their merriment. Moira had told her husband what I had said about having a boy, it was clear that she believed me- the husband was happy, but trying to make sure that Moira didn't get too carried away. I could feel for the guy, but I knew that he would have nothing to worry about- and that he would get to play ball with his son every Sunday after church. It warmed my heart.

The door opened and Moira's husband came in, his mind circled the possibilities that they would have a boy. His head was filled with excitement.

“Oh, I didn't see yah there.” He nearly dropped the serving dish he was carrying.

“No worries. I'm Emma Hutchinson.” I smiled, rose, and stuck out my hand.

“Nice to meet yah.” He put the plate on the table, his face dimpled as his smiled while shaking my hand. “I'm Patrick. I've heard quite a bit about yah, Miss Hutchinson.”

“Please, call me Emma.” I laughed.

“How are yah enjoying yer trip so far, Emma?” As he shifted things on the table, his strong arms cut into my view.

“It's been nice. I have a friend up at the school.” I was trying hard not to think about the chaos I might be causing for these nice people.

“Did she come down?” Moira's bubbly voice drifted in from the kitchen.

“Aye, she did.” Her husband shouted back.

“Oh, hi Miss Emma. Did everything go well with the bathroom?” Moira smiled as she brought in another platter of food, her cheeks were flushed- her husband took it from her.

“Yes, quite well. I love this place.” I gestured to the inn.

“Aye, we do too. Oh, where are my manners. This is my husband Patrick. Patrick, this is Emma Hutchinson.” She beamed at us.

“Thank you, but Patrick introduced himself to me before you came out.” I chuckled.

“Well, see there are some good manners in yah yet, Pattie.” She laughed.

“Yep. I was just talking to Emma about the things I've heard about her.” There was something dark about the way he said it, it made me want to probe his mind for what was there.

“Please, Patrick, the things yah hear at the pub aren't true.” She shook her head and rolled her eyes.

“But...” He started.

“No, none of that nonsense at my table. Please just ignore him. He heard stories at the pub that he's now convinced are true.” She sighed.

“About me?” I was semi-curious.

“Yep.” Patrick said.

“I'd like to know. I promise to tell the truth, if they're true.” I smiled at him.

“Are yah sure, Miss Emma? I told him earlier to just let it alone.” She was shaking her head again as she began to serve the food.

“Oh, I can do that, you look a bit tired, Moira.” I reached for the plate.

“No, dear, I've got this. I enjoy this.” She smiled at me.

“Okay, so Patrick, what are these great tales?” I turned my attention to him.

“Well, um...” He was clearly uncomfortable with such direct attention on him.

“Well?” I laughed. “I promise I don't bite.”

“Eh, I, um, heard some rumors that yah were a... yah know.. a vampire. I know them kids up at that school are wolves, we see them up on the hill at night. It's part of the reason they let us keep this land. We don't say anything, but if yer one of 'em I don't see a problem saying it to yah.” His face was a glorious red and he was staring down at the table.

Moira was embarrassed and looked from him to me with deer eyes, that slowly turned from shock to utter embarrassment. I could hear her thoughts praying to God for patience, and forgiveness, and that I wouldn't get upset.

I laughed. “Well, do you wanna know the truth?” I cocked an eyebrow at him.

“Aye, that I do.” His blue eyes burned with desire.

“If I tell you, then you can't say anything to anyone- even the pub folk. It could put you in danger.” My face was serious.

“I'd still like to know, especially if it's something that I'll have to protect my family from.” I felt honored to be in his presence for his desire to keep his family safe.

“I'm a vampire. The school is one for werewolves. However, you're not supposed to know anything about this. Knowing it can put you in danger. So it's best that you just pretend you don't know anything. I like you guys. I'd like to help fund this establishment. I can tell that you guys are strapped for cash- perhaps the school is hoping that you'll fold. But the wolves don't like my kind, and I don't like what they're doing with your business.” I smiled at them.

“Miss Emma! You know the rules!” She shrieked at me.

“I had a feeling you already knew what I was. The cranberry juice isn't typically the choice of beverages that are served at the dinner table here. I do appreciate the dark liquid, but it wasn't necessary. I could always take care of those cravings at another time.” I smiled at her.

“How... how did yah know that she was one, Moira?” Patrick looked at his wife like she was an alien.

“Women often know more than the men folk.” She laughed.

“I've a feeling my grandpa has been through here recently. Perhaps even my parents. Our kind is probably the majority of the business that you get because there is a protection on the school that includes your home here- it acts to deter people. It doesn't affect us because we're not so sensitive to the cold.” I shook my head at the wolves foolish belief that the vampires would stay away just because of the proximity to the school.

“Patrick, don't worry. This is how we survive. I've known since the first ones we served. Emma is merely part of the line. Although she is the first to offer to help us. I'd like to take yah up on yer offer. With Liam on the way, I don't want things to be even more strapped. What do yah want to do here, Emma?” She sat down after she handed everyone a plate.

“Absolutely nothing. I merely want to supply what you need.” I took a bite of the Irish stew in front of me.

“But I don't understand. Why would yah want to do something like that if yer not getting anything in return?” Moira shook her head at me.

“I feel connected to this place. I'd like a room that I could come to anytime, but other than that.. I want nothing. I'll provide you with the funds you need to run the place, hire on staff if you desire, even expand. It's entirely up to you.” It felt odd putting the proposition out like this, but I guess all things happen for a reason.

“Just to have a room? That's all? Why?” Moira was suspicious of things that came too easily, it was trait that I treasured.

“Vampires typically are involved in many things. However, I've no interest in the opera charity or constructing whatever for a third world country, I know that makes me a bit on the heartless side. But I find that the things that you care about the most are the things that you're willing to get behind with your money. I know that money is a concept that you and I think about differently, but I wouldn't just throw it away. I know this place is amazing. You guys are amazing people. And I want to be able to say that this place was like a second home for me... and that you guys are taken care of. You feel like you're part of my family already.” I smiled hoping that they might begin to understand just what I was feeling for them and this place.

“I don't want us to be yer charity case. And I won't sell my family's land to yah.” Moira was still trying to figure out what my angle was.

“Look, I'm not going to try to swindle you out of your land, nor do I think of you as a charity. This is an investment for me. What if you guys became an inn for mainly vampires? I'm not saying that you stop your services for whatever humans make it through their protection shield, I'm merely saying that you could increase your business by catering to my kind. And I'm willing to be a silent business investor for that. Is that a better way to put it?” I was trying to make a way for them to see what I was saying.

“I'm not sure. I mean, yah guys are the reason we're still here. But to specifically take yah in. What would that even entail?” I could feel her mind thinking, considering the idea- not dismissing it at all.

“Well, I guess you'd have to have a fridge stocked with blood. But I think that would be it. We are pretty self-reliant. The blood would only be courtesy, most of us carry our own with us. You wouldn't have to change anything. This place has its own beauty. I think I might hire someone just to make sure that everything was secure and people were properly checked before being allowed to stay here, to make sure everyone was safe.” I nodded my head in agreement with myself.

“Yah really think there would be enough business to do background checks?” I could see the hope light in her eyes.

“Yes I do. Especially if I recommended this place to people. Unfortunately, I've way too much say in my world.” I laughed at this small fact that I felt such a strong grudge at.

“Yah... would do that?” Patrick finally spoke.

“Of course, I would! I love this place. Didn't I already say that?” I chuckled.

“Moira, this could be the answer to our problems.” He beamed at her, I could hear her thoughts circling the idea as well, but she still wasn't sure.

“Emma, I'd like to think about this. I want to be able to discuss this fully with Patrick as well as the rest of those that would be involved. I won't mention the vampire factor, don't worry about that.” She smiled.

“Oh, don't worry, you can have all the time you need. If you haven't decided by the time I leave, then I'll contact you at a later time. Now, let's enjoy this delicious meal.” I began to eat my food again. I wanted to taste each flavor. It was so different from what I normally ate.

After dinner, I went to my room. The moon was rising and it was hard to resist the urge to go and explore. I knew that the pack would be out tonight, the moon would be too much of a call for them. I was able to resist it, but they were governed by the glorious orb in the sky. I wanted to go out and explore the land. I knew that in my wolf form I could cover most of Ireland in one night, and I could see all the sites. But that desire was seriously dimmed when I saw the first wolf form appear on the hill that separated the inn from the school. I closed my window and decided that I should just go to bed instead.

The morning rose too soon for my eyes. In the bright room it was like the sun was in the room with me. I glared at the cheery walls and all the glory that the sun was causing to greet me first thing. It was not what I wanted to do. I mentally thought that I should buy a darker curtain for the window, at least for while I was there.

I rolled out of bed and rubbed at my tired eyes. Today I would get to look around the area. I wanted to make sure that I kept my scent from building up too much around the inn. I didn't need the wolves to come knocking at the door. I pulled out some clothes and quickly brushed my hair and teeth in the sink. I got dressed and headed downstairs.

Moira was sitting at the front desk. She was wearing a pretty light green dress. It made her skin look like peaches and cream. She was reading the morning paper and sipping on some tea.

“Top of the morning to you.” I laughed as I said it.

“Good morning, Emma.” She smiled at me. “There's breakfast on the table for yah.”

“Thanks.” I said as I bounced into the dining area. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was delicious. The tea was alright- nothing like my morning cocoa back home. Thinking of home made me want to check in with them.

Dominic? I sent the word to him.

Emma? Are you alright? He sounded so worried.

Yep, I'm fine. I just wasn't sure if you'd be up yet. How's everything? I smiled at his words.

Oh. School is good. I had dinner with your grandparents last night. They're helping me sort out the stuff with the palace for when we're married. It was interesting to say the least. His laugh filled my mind.

I can only imagine.I think I'm going to do some local sightseeing today, do you want me to bring you anything back? I wanted him to know that I was thinking about him.

Um, let me think. Nope. Just you. I miss you. Dom's words were like a gentle stroke in my mind.

I miss you too, but I think this trip is good for me. I'm having a great time. And I might have found a business venture for myself. I felt really happy about the inn.

Really? What is it? His curiosity took over.

I can't tell you yet. Not until I have more definite answers about whether or not it'll be happening. Okay, well I'm gonna go. I'll call tonight. I was glad I heard his voice.

Okay, I love you, mia bella. Have a nice day. I felt him pull away and I broke the connection.

“Wow, that is interesting to watch.” Moira was standing in the doorway- leaning on it.

“Um, yeah. I was contacting my fiancé back in Italy.” I smiled at her.

“I figured. You mind if I sit down with yah?” For once, she didn't look so sure.

“No, go right ahead.” I gestured to the chair across from me.

“So I want to talk to yah about yer offer.” She sat across from me, but put her legs up on the chair next to her.

“Of course. I figured there would be several chats before you made your decision.” I placed my hands on the table in front of me.

“Well, I want to accept yer offer. But I want yer word that if things don't work out that yah won't just pull the funding right away and that yah will be understanding that this is going to be an adjustment for us.” She shifted slightly in her seat.

“Of course. I would never force anything. And I would never just pull the rug out from you guys. Surely you can see that.” I felt a little hurt that she would even consider something like that.

“It's not that I think you would. But it's something that needed to be addressed.” She sipped on a cup of tea.

“I was thinking that you could keep this as your home, and build just on the other side of the garden an entirely new structure for your guests. That way you'll still have room. Or you could do it the other way around. It's just an idea either way.” I smiled at her.

“I think that would be a great idea. Especially now that we're a growing family.” She rested her hand on her growing stomach.

“That's what I thought.” I smiled at her- in truth be told, I was envious of her ability to have a big family.

We sat and talked about small details for a couple of hours before Moira began to look exhausted. I sent her to bed to rest for a while.

The air outside was crisp and felt alive with the amount of green surrounding everything. I walked the opposite direction from the hill. I won't be going there today. After I was about a large field away, I heard my name. I turned and saw Mike jogging up to me.

“Hey, wolf boy, what are you doing here?” He looked really tired.

“I wanted to see you. No, I needed to see you. After we got back from our night, I couldn't go to sleep. I maybe slept for an hour.” He yawned slightly.

“Okay, so now you've seen me. Go to bed.” I laughed at him.

“Nope. I wanna spend the day with you. And there's nothing you can do about it.” He stuck his pierced tongue out at me. Desire ripped through my body- it was so forceful that it caused me to stop in my tracks.

“Fine. You can come with me.” I rolled my eyes at him and punched him in the arm lightly. “I've missed you so much.”

We walked along in a peaceful silence. Just having him next to me was like I regained a piece of what I had been missing. When we reached the first town, Mike went inside one of the stores and bought two hot cocoas.

“Here.” He handed it to me and smiled.

“Thanks, I was seriously missing this.” I sipped the sweet drink and enjoyed the thick chocolatey taste.

“So tonight, we don't run or anything. Do you wanna go out?” He looked down at his scuffed boots.

“Are you asking me out on a date? You know that we're both engaged right?” I laughed at him.

“Yes, I'm asking you out on a date. And I'm well aware that we're both engaged.” He held up his left hand- on it sat a simple band, it was a claddagh ring. I sighed.

“Well, we only live once, right?” I tried to chuckle at him.

“Yes, we only live once.” He reached over and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, his hand lingered just a moment longer than it needed to.

“Since it seems I'm living my last weekend, I agree. You can take me on a date.” I laughed, I knew we were both being troublesome, but somehow it was okay- it wouldn't change our future.

We walked back to the inn. Mike left me just off the path to the actual building.

“We don't usually come this far. I've made sure that I've covered my tracks, but I don't want them to come over here. You don't smell like other vampires, but I don't know if it's just enough to bring them or have them leave you be. I don't want to take that chance.” He took my hand.

“Thank you, Mike. I'll see you tonight.” I smiled at him, kissed him gently on the cheek and pulled my hand out of his.

“See you.” He whispered as I walked away.

The rest of the day passed with me on edge. I didn't know what to expect. I made sure to message Dom and let him know I was going out with Mike that night and so I would call him in the morning instead. I got a text telling me to have fun. I knew I was hurting him, but I needed to find my center before I was able to be his and his alone. In the end, this week alone would be nothing in our long lives together.

Moira wasn't feeling her best when evening came so she locked up the inn and went to bed. I offered to get her whatever she wanted but she said it wasn't necessary. She gave me a spare key so I could come and go as I pleased.

I dug through my bags for something to wear that was feminine. I pulled out my boots, a black pleated miniskirt, I slipped on a black camisole and then my black velvet jacket with lace trim and corset lacing in the back. I didn't have any stocking, so my bare pale legs were showing. I felt a little underdressed but it didn't matter. I fixed my hair into a French twist and applied light makeup. When I checked myself in the mirror, I looked like the girl I was in high school- only now I appeared to have aged a little bit more. I checked the outfit over once more. I decided it would do. I tucked the key into my bra and left the house.

I walked over to where I had left Mike earlier in the day, I made sure to blend into the shadows. He was standing in the direct moonlight. His auburn hair looked black. He was wearing all black. I had missed how perfectly he complimented my attire with his own. I stepped out of the shadows behind him, as silent as the night. I put my arms around him and breathed him in. It was like coming home after a long break.

He reacted almost instantly. I was up against a wall with his hand at my throat. His eyes were unfocused and a low growl ripped from him.

Down boy. I whispered into his mind.

His eyes focused and he let go instantly.

“I'm so sorry, Em. You can't go around sneaking up on people like that.” He let out a long sigh.

“No harm, no foul. So where are you taking me this glorious evening?” I laughed at him.

“Well, first we're going to the town where I have a car waiting. From there we'll be headed to the city. And the rest is an adventure.” He took my hand and pulled me into a hug that felt like a romantic embrace. When he pulled away, his eyes had become softly unfocused.

“We have to run now, can you the way you're dressed?” He looked me up and down the way one might expect a fox to check out a chicken.

“Hey, wolf boy, I could out run you any day.” I stuck my finger into his chest for emphasis.

“Then, I guess I'll meet you there.” He laughed as he sprinted away from me.

Cheating bastard. I shouted at his mind.

It took me no time to catch up to him, and eventually pass him. I was faster and lighter than he was. When we got to the edge of the town I slowed down so he could catch up. We walked into the town holding hands and laughing. There was a sleek red Bentley waiting. I was momentarily stunned that Mike would choose to drive such a posh car, but then I was lost in the beauty of the machine.

“Okay, Cinderella, get in your coach. Do I have to have you back by the stroke of midnight?” He held the door open for me.

“You've got me as long as you want me... tonight.” Somehow, I knew if I said the words without the tonight then life would be just a little bit harder for us.

“Then don't expect to be home before dawn.” I smiled at him.

We sped off into the night. I took his hand and held it tightly as we drove. I had never seen so much green rushed by in the night, then suddenly we slowed just slightly as the world began to be less rural. We reached a city, I didn't know where we were and I didn't want to ask. I just wanted to enjoy. The car stopped in front of a black building. Music pulsed into the car. It wasn't what I would typically listen to, but I saw a mix of people outside- including goths. Mike got out of the car and then opened my door. There was a valet that he tossed the keys to. We walked over to the red carpet area. There was a line around the block. Mike said something to the doorman, and we were whisked inside.

“How the devil did you do that?” I asked once we had been led to a private booth.

“You've just got to know the right people.” He winked at me, I realized that there was so much to Mike that I didn't know anymore or maybe I didn't know in the beginning. My heart fluttered in response.

“Let's have a drink and then we can dance.” He left the booth and returned with two whiskey shots, a Guinness for him, and a rum and coke for me.

We did the shots together. The whiskey burned going down, but my body felt warm- like it did when I was human. I looked at him wondering if he knew that I longed for the days before our change. I sipped the coke as he took a slug from the beer. I smiled at him, my cheeks were flushed from the liquor.

“So let's dance.” He bounced up from his seat, he was all energy and motion.

“Okay.” I stood and for the first time since I had turned, I felt the slightest effect of having alcohol. “Hey, was there something special about that whiskey?”

“Yep. Special kind for special people.” He winked at me and guided me out to the floor.

I was giddy with the idea that I could actually get drunk, it was an experience that I wasn't sure that I wanted but I was excited that it was still possible. The music flowed around us. Our motions were controlled blurs. It was hard not to let go completely, but I still enjoyed every aspect of the movements. I had never danced like it before. Mike countered everything I put out there. We ordered another whiskey and then went and sipped on our other drinks.

“Having a good time?” His skin had rosed just a little around his cheeks.

“Yep. This is awesome. Let's dance some more.” I pulled him back onto the floor.

The music and lights flashed around us. I felt myself losing some of my control. Just when I thought I was about to be lost in a flash of movements, the music slowed. I grabbed onto Mike. He held me close. Our bodies were pressed against each other. We were no longer separate entities, but moved and existed in one space. It was as though I had become part of Mike and he me. My eyes locked onto his. We moved without breaking eye contact.

I turned my head. The world seemed to speed up and slow back down. I looked back to Mike. His eyes locked back onto mine, but this time I found desire in his eyes. His lips were on mine as quickly as I registered the want. My initial reaction was to pull back. But soon my own want took over. My body heated all over. His lips were forceful and powerful against mine. My body shook with it. I broke away and pulled him towards our booth.

“I think we should leave.” I bit into an ice cube. My body felt hot, too hot for me. My mind was firing sparklers into the universe instead of functioning.

Mike's lips were swollen. His eyes were unfocused. He nodded his head. He threw down some money and grabbed my hand. An urgency seemed to drive us both. The valet pulled the car out for us. Mike handed the kid some money and helped me into the car. We peeled out as we left. The world whirled by, I watched him. My body yearned for his touch. He reached over and stroked my thigh. I shuddered in my seat.

The car stopped behind a dark building. I didn't understand what was going on. Mike got out of the car and opened my door.

“Where are we?” I asked as he led me up to a back door.

“My flat. I keep one here for nights when I'm supposed to be hunting.” His smile faded and his skinned paled.

Hunting... I knew they had them out hunting us. I sighed.

“Have you ever... you know?” I asked.

“No. I'm a tracker by nature. When I hunt, I gather information... never kill.” He sighed as he opened the door.

The air smelled of him- only him- as we walked in. This was his private space. Most of the doors were shut, but the living room he brought me into was lavish. The room was filled with beautifully carved wood pieces. I went and sat on a hunter green futon couch.

“Can I get you something?” He walked through a door. “Maybe some juice... or wine.”

“Do you have any root beer?” I laughed because I hardly ever craved it.

“Yep. Barqs.” He came out holding two cans, he sat next to me.

“Thanks.” I took the can.

We sipped on them in silence. The effects of the whiskey was still hot in my blood. He gently stroked my cheek.

“I'm sorry, Em.” His eyes were pleading with me to understand.

“Mike, I understand. There are some things we've to do that we don't want to.” I smiled at him and kissed his lips gently.

“I've missed you so, Emma. I feel like the color has been sucked out of the world.” He nuzzled my neck.

“I know what you mean. But we have people back in our real lives. And we're destined to heal our peoples.” I sighed.

“No, not tonight. Tonight, there is just you and me.” He gripped my neck and pulled me towards him.

Our lips met. I could feel the hunger growing. My fangs slid down slightly. I accidentally nicked his lip. His blood touched my tongue and I pulled back. At first I thought I would surely be sick, but as soon I registered the blood- I realized it tasted better than anything I had ever had before. I closed my eyes and when I opened them again I knew my eyes were clouded with want and desire.

Mike watched me silently. He realized what happened as his licked the small cut with his tongue.

“They told you our blood would hurt you, didn't they?” He growled in disgust.

“Why would they say such a thing, your blood, it's like, I can't even explain it. It is so good.” I sighed the words out at him.

He pulled me to him. Being so close to him was like breathing in the most tempting food. He looked into my eyes and slowly brought my mouth down to his throat.

“Bite me, Emma.” He whispered the words in my ear.

My fangs moved down and I looked at him once more before I sunk them in. I heard his initial gasp, but as soon as I began to suck, I could feel him move with me in unison. I pulled back to make sure I didn't hurt him. My body was shaking with need and want. He opened his eyes and I could see he was suffering from the same problem. I laid him back and climbed on top of him. Our kisses became more frantic. The want was driving us. He pulled my jacket off in one motion. I ripped his shirt off. I bit his chest. Pleasure coursed through us.

I laid against his chest. I wasn't drunk on his blood, and the effects of the whiskey were burning out. My mind was clearing. My choices were clear. This was where I would choose which path to walk down. I looked at Mike. He smiled at me. His choice had been made. Tonight is ours. The words played in my head. I made my choice. I kissed him slowly now. I didn't want to rush tonight. This would be my first, and it felt right that it would be with Mike.

He slowed his movements and spent time caressing every part of my body. When I thought I couldn't stand anymore, we made love.

We laid together afterward. I listened to his breathing and heart beating. My life had changed in just one night. His fingers stroked my hairs that had come loose from my twist.

“I think we should run away together.” I mumbled the words into his chest.

“Em, you know we can't do that.” His finger trailed down my cheek.

“I'm tired of giving up what I want. It isn't fair! We didn't ask for this.” I buried my face into his chest.

He tilted my chin up, his kiss was soft.

“No, we didn't. But we aren't the kind of people to just walk away while so many are suffering.” He kissed my nose.

“It isn't fair, regardless. I know what we have to do. But I want this. Dammit, Mike. I want you. I love you.” I pleaded to him, to myself, trying to get passed the logic in my mind.

“I know, sweetheart. I feel the same way. And I'll always love you. But we're fated to take a different path. Maybe if there is reincarnation we'll come back and get to live our life together.” He kissed the top of head.

I wanted to scream and cry. Instead I held onto him. We fell asleep on the couch holding each other. I knew this was how my life should be, but I also realized that it wasn't meant to be.

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

4.7M 147K 40
Sex with a beast series (book 2)
9.9K 379 31
ɪꜱ ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴅ ᴛᴏ ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙᴇɢᴀɴ?? 𝐄𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬?? - ▫️◽🌑◽▫️- *ᴘᴏꜱᴛᴇʀ ᴄʀᴇᴅɪᴛ ɢᴏᴇꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴜꜱ ᴏɴʟʏ*
524 28 20
This is the sequel to Teen Wolf the Next Generation. It will have many of the same characters, but quite a few new faces. More supernatural creatures...
33.3K 1.2K 37
The sequel of No Longer Alone.