TEARS FROM THE MOON

By cwwonder

Gwen Stevens is a talented, bright, and very attractive young theatre actress. She is however, quite naive an... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Chapter 36.
Chapter 37.
Chapter 38.
Chapter 39.
Chapter 40
Chapter 41.
Chapter 42.
Chapter 43.
Chapter 44.
Chapter 45.
Chapter 46.
Chapter 47.
Chapter 48.
Chapter 49.
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52.

Chapter 17.

1.4K 66 47
By cwwonder

We were now back on the road again, after I had finished my Danish Pastry of course and my cup of tea. I did feel very embarrassed though about the fact that Alan had noticed me looking at him rather a lot and so I had remained quiet for most of the journey.
Alan too was also very quiet and seemed to be concentrating more on his driving now that we had moved from off the motorway and onto much smaller, narrower roads.

I turned to look out of the window beside me and noticed that the countryside was becoming increasingly more familiar to me as we crossed from Worcestershire to Shropshire with its rolling meadows and beautiful hills that seemed to stretch for miles and miles.
I breathed in a satisfying breath and instantly began to feel so much calmer. It was funny how seeing the green colours of the country relaxed my disposition.

" How much further is it to your parents house?".

A low, deep voice suddenly asked from beside me.

I looked over at the man in the drivers seat and smiled at him.

"It's only about 10 miles". I said.

He nodded his head in answer, and I suddenly started to feel very guilty about the amount of driving he had done. I mean, he can't be that used to driving long distances not with him being a film star and all that, regardless of how luxurious and comfortable the car undoubtedly was!

Alan then took in a long inward breath, the sort he does when he's about to say something profound.
But what he asked me, was totally surprising.

"Tell me Gwen...........do you have someone special in your life?".

I gasped at this sudden question, that seemed to have come out of know where, and felt myself blush.
For the majority of the drive, certainly since leaving the Service Station, we had remained silent, now suddenly he was asking this most personal of questions right out of the blue!

To be honest, I wondered what it had to do with him for we hadn't exactly been talking about personal stuff even when we were in conversion with one another.
I mean, I knew absolutely nothing personal about him at all.

"Is there someone you are especially looking forward to seeing, apart from your parents, that is". He continued to ask.

I swallowed hard.
How did he know?
Had I somehow given away my secret to him?

"Um..........". I said hesitantly.

Alan began to laugh.

"Do not worry yourself if you would rather not tell me. I was only being curious, that was all".

I looked down at my twisted fingers on my lap.

"There is someone really special". I said quietly.

I looked up to see that Alan's expression remained unaltered.

"And I am very much looking forward to seeing him. It's been far too long". I said, still looking over at Alan for a reaction.
There was none.

Instead he reached a hand up to his mouth and looked thoughtful for a second. It was as if he was pondering on what to say next. I wasn't about to elaborate on what I had just said. I didn't think it was any of his business really.

Alan then cleared his throat.

"Well you were certainly correct in what you told me about it here. It is very beautiful".

I smiled at him and then saw him glance quickly at me and smile back.
The awkwardness between us had now passed.

" My parents will be very excited to meet you". I suddenly blurted out.

"Will they indeed". Alan answered.

" Oh yes". I laughed, "They are always keen to meet any acquaintances that I make through my theatre work, but don't be surprised if they don't recognise immediately who you are though, they're not terribly into movies".

Alan smiled , as he drove along.

"Good". He said, "Then they won't have any preconceptions about me then, will they".

"No". I laughed, "I suppose not".

The journey into the small town felt very unusual to say the least. My parents lived on its outskirts but we had to drive through the centre first.
Alan negotiated the tiny, narrow streets expertly and I looked excitedly out of the window to see if I recognised anybody. Sadly the people who were going about their own businesses were people I didn't even know.
But what was I expecting?
A big fanfare of friends and family lining the streets as we came through, waving flags and holding banners proclaiming my return to the fold having made the big time and being driven home by a film star!

There was none of that.
In fact the place looked deserted, sleepy and perhaps even boring.
Gosh, I wonder what Alan thinks?
I bet he's beginning to regret driving me here. There's nothing going on!
Its a definite far cry from the busy streets of London.

I pointed him in the direction of my parents house. The house I had been brought up in, and told him to park the posh BMW beside the hedge that led up the narrow pathway towards the stone clad house.

"This is it!". I announced.

Alan leaned forward to take a better look before turning off the engine.
He said nothing.

I took in a breath.

"Shall we go then?". I asked, but before he could answer, I clicked open the door and got out.

It was so peaceful and quiet.
The only sounds I could hear were the birds singing and the distant humming of a far off lawn mower.
I looked up at the house with its high hedges either side of the narrow path that fanned out into my Father's pride and joy. His garden.
I took in a huge breath, filling my nostrils with the fresh, clean air of the countryside. It was so lovely to be home again.

Looking up towards the house, I began to walk up along the gravel driveway towards the path that led to it, momentarily forgetting about the person who had actually brought me here.
I was so wrapped up within the feeling of being home that I was more intent on taking in the sights, sounds and smells that reminded me of my youth.

Suddenly hearing the closing of a car door behind me, I turned around to see Alan standing there holding my bag.

"Is this your family home?". He asked, looking up at the house.

"Yes". I answered, unable to fathom out what he was actually thinking about it.
" I grew up here". I went on. "It holds some very happy memories for me and my sister we had a lovely childhood growing up here".

Alan looked at me.

"You have a sister?". He asked, sounding surprised.

"Yes". I laughed, "Sarah, she's a couple of year's younger than me".

"Is she as talented in the arts as yourself?". Alan asked, curiously.

I stared at him.
The country air must surely have got to him already, because I could have sworn that he had just suggested that I was in fact talented!!
My face blushed a subtle shade of bright pink as I took in a deep country air breath, before answering:

" Sarah, is a Chartered Surveyor". I said simply, and also somewhat sadly.

Alan though, raised an eyebrow in approval.

"We don't see each other very much". I went on. "We move in very different circles".

"I see". He went on.

"She defiantly as the brains. She's very clever but really doesn't understand the kind of life I lead. Its not her sort of thing at all". I explained.

" Pity". Alan answered simply.

I looked at him for a moment, waiting for him to say something more. But nothing was forthcoming, so I turned to look up at the house again and a tinge of sadness suddenly surrounded me as I remembered just how close Sarah and I had been as children and how distant we now were.
It was very sad.

"Come on". I said with a sigh, "Let's go and see my parents. I'm hoping they'll have something for us to eat".

I then began walking up the very narrow path leading up towards the house, and suddenly caught sight of my Father pottering about in the garden just ahead of me.
I smiled to myself.
He hadn't seen us, as he was so engrossed in whatever he was doing to even notice his eldest daughter approaching him.

I very suddenly felt kind of nervous. It had been a while since we had seen one another and although we always got on well I knew that he was a lot prouder of Sarah's achievement's than he was of mine.
To be honest, I got the feeling that he was just waiting for me to come to my senses and to one day just give up this acting lark altogether and pursue a much more lucrative career just like my younger sibling.
But I knew, that that was never going to happen.

I half turned behind me to see Alan locking the door of his car by pointing his key at it. In the other hand he was carrying my hodall.
Oh goodness, I had quite forgotten about my bag so went to go and retrieve it off him when I heard my name being called.

" Gwen!". My Father shouted out, as he came down the path towards me. "Gwen! Is that you?".

I turned back around to look at him and gave him my biggest smile.

"Hello Dad". I beamed.

He gave his customery half smile to me in recognition but that was all. We didn't go up and hug one another for sadly we were not that kind of a family. Showing public or even private acts of affection was not something we ever did.
This was one of the things that had to be learnt in drama school for me and although I am quite happy to hug and even kiss my friends now, I still could not do it with my own family.
In fact, if I was to now suddenly embrace my Father he would be absolutely horrified.
So to save us from any embarrassment, I refrained from doing so and just stood there politely.

"Did you have a good journey?". My Father asked, wiping his soil covered hands down the sides of his equally soil covered trousers.

"Yes". I continued to beam, "Very good thanks".

My Father struck an imposing figure for he was quite thick set in build although he wasn't especially tall. He had a mop of strange looking wirery hair that always seemed to have a will of its own. I was amazed at just how greying it had become, although my Father seemed to have retained his wrinkle free complexion which made him appear younger than he actually was.

" So?". He asked presently, "Are you still in that theatre group or whatever you call it".

"Yes". I answered with a sigh and a little roll of my eyes.

"Ummm". He said, taking in a deep breath of obvious disappointment.
"And you're enjoying it I take it".

I nodded my head enthusiastically.

" Very much so". I added.

I heard a low huff of disapproval from him, but chose to ignore it.
After all, it would have been unlike my Father to be anything other than disappointed.

"You're looking very well". I then said, not allowing his contempt for my acting career to over shadow my visit.

My Father scratched his head, almost in bewilderment.

" Must be all the fresh air I'm having from being out here so much". He answered.

I stared at him.

He then gave a sigh.

"Your Mother only wants us to have decking now". He said. "On that rough bit of old ground at the side there". He pointed rather haphazardly "So she sends me out here at every opportunity".

I began to laugh.

"Sounds like Mum, how is she anyway?". I asked him.

"Oh, very excited about seeing you". He said with a sigh.

That statement really lifted my heart, but I was still unsure about my Father.

"And .......are you?". I asked him, not entirely sure just how he would react to such a direct question.

He stared for a moment, before his steel grey eyes moved from my face to look just behind me.

"I'm more interested in him over there". He said curtly, with a nod of his head.

I immediately spun around to look at Alan who was standing there with my hodall.

"Oh, this is Alan". I announced proudly. "He very kindly drove me here"

Alan Rickman stepped forward and I watched as I saw no sign of any recognition whatsoever coming from my Father's expression.
It didn't surprise me though, for he was never really interested in watching films. He preferred a documentary about boats or steam trains and the like. So it came as little surprise to me that he didn't recognise the famous movie star.
Even if he did, his face told me that he wouldn't have been impressed anyway, for it was as if it was set in stone the actual way he was glaring at him.

I was a little taken a back just why my Father was looking at Alan in that way, so trying to make light of it I said:

"Alan directed our last play and did a really good job of it too. It was a huge success, although Hugo insisted on taking most of the plaudits for it being his idea in the first place to get Alan involved, but it was extremely well received and as easily been our most successful play so far!".

I babbled on in an attempt to swerve my Dad from staring at Alan so much in such a controversial way. If he had been any less of a man, I was quite sure that Alan Rickman would have made his excuses and left.

However he seemed not to worry about it as he came forward to shake my Father's hand.

"Good to meet you". He spoke quietly, in his famous low, deep sounding voice.

For a brief millisecond though, I really thought that my Father wasn't going to shake his hand and I felt terribly uncomfortable.
What was wrong with him?
Usually my Dad is quite an amiable sort of a person, willing to meet people more than half way, so why was he acting so weird towards Alan?

Unless, he thought....................

A sudden realisation suddenly struck me.

Maybe he presumed that Alan and I were in a relationship!

My stomach twisted at the very idea and a warm feeling seemed to wrap itself around me at the very thought.

Oh, this was ludicrous, why on earth would my Father think that?
And why did I suddenly feel so comforted by the very thought of it!

I watched as they were now shaking hands and felt relieved.

But he was still staring at Alan very suspiciously and I was more than relieved to see my Mother now appear in the doorway.

"Oh, Gwen darling". She said, coming over, "When did you get here?".

"Only just". I smiled at her, as I noticed her eyes had gone immediately towards Alan.

This was typical of her. She hadn't seen me in months yet it was my companion she was more interested in looking at!
Mother was always very keen to meet any of my male friends seeing them all as potential boyfriend material.

Alan strangely, was no exception.

I could tell by her rosy cheeked face that this thought was flashing through her mind and I rolled my eyes at her.
I also felt pretty sure that she hadn't, as yet recognised him either.
If she had, the thought about us being an item would not even have materialised.

She would never have believed that I could have risen to such heights as to actually date a Movie Star.

Again, my stomach twisted at the very thought of it.
What was I even thinking?
It was never ever going to happen.
I'm not at all interested in him in that way and I'm pretty damn sure that he doesn't think that way about me either!

"So........? Aren't you going to introduce us then?".
She asked smiling at Alan, but speaking to me.

I took in a breath.

"Mother, this is Alan". I said.

She went to move towards him.

"He drove her here, apparantly". My Father interjected.

"What?". My Mother asked, turning briefly to look at him,

"All the way from London? You must be exhausted".
She said, now turning her attention back towards Alan.

He just smiled at her, as he took her hand to shake it.

"Now then". She announced, "I've taken the liberty of putting on a bit of a spread for you both. Nothing grand, just some bits and pieces you know, so I hope you two are hungry".

"Thanks Mum, that's great". I smiled at her.

"Yeah, she's been busy in that kitchen all morning". Grumbled my Father, "That's why I was banished to the garden............again".

"Oh, never mind all that now". She scolded him, "I just wanted to make things nice for when Gwen came home...............and of course her friend".

She was now grinning at me in that way of hers that suggested to me that she thought there was more going on than I was letting on.
Which of course there really wasn't.
If I remember rightly, she looked exactly the same at me when I first brought Marcus over for a visit, until she actually realised that nothing could ever become of our relationship other than of us being just friends.

Now she had a new target...........Alan, and I grew steadily more embarrassed.

"But first........". She announced, as I watched in horror as she continued to pull an object from out of her apron pocket.

My embarrassment now soared to a new level as I watched her produce a pocket sized camera from it and waved in front of me.

"Oh, Mum No.......". I wailed, "We've only just arrived".

"Oh come on now, don't be a spoilsport. You know how I like my pictures, so come along you two...........cozy up together".

She insisted, waving her hands around for me and Alan to stand alongside one another.

I went towards him.
He must have been so tired and probably hacked off with my parents differing attitudes towards him. I mean, there was my Father looking at him pretty damned suspiciously and my Mother acting as if we were a real couple!

" I'm so sorry about all of this". I whispered to him as I went to stand at his side.

Alan lowered his head down towards me and said quietly.

" Don't worry about it Gwen, I actually find this kind of thing rather amusing". He said.

Click!

Mother had taken a photo of Alan speaking to me.

"Mum!.......I wasn't.........". I went to protest.

But she was already showing my Father the candid shot, a smile broadly adorned across her face.
My Father, however was not so animated.

"Right now, you two, get closer together". She ordered, bringing the camera up to her face once again.

I gave a sigh.
I felt so sorry for Alan having to endure all of this and I bet he was now very much regretting offering to bring me all the way over here in the first place.

" I'm sorry". I whispered to him again as I stood alongside him.

"I told you not to worry, now let's give her what she wants". He cooed in my ear, as he then man overed me to stand just in front of him whilst he placed his hands upon my shoulders.

"Oooh, that's lovely". My Mother shrilled from behind her camera, "You two look so wonderful together".

"Oh........please". I said in embarrassment and resignation. " Just take the photo". I pleaded.

But somehow, I had to admit, having Alan's hands resting upon my shoulders really was rather nice and he was also being most accomidating about all of this.

A lesser person would have cried enough!

Now, this felt strange, very strange indeed and defiantly so surreal.
Here I was in the kitchen of my family home at the table where I would have had my meals as a child, sat next to an actual film star!
I mean, just how mad is that!

I watched as Mother placed an over sized fruit cake into the centre of the table that was already ladened with sandwiches,filled rolls, green salad, bowls of crisps and chicken drumsticks along with her signature flakey pastry sausage rolls.

It all looked absolutely devine and my stomach rumbled just at the sight of the wonderful spread before us.

Glancing over at Alan sitting beside me, I couldn't really get my head around that he was actually there. It was so hard to take in.
He then turned and gave me a smile of reassurance, as if he knew exactly what was going through my mind and I gave him one in return that didn't go unnoticed by my Mother!

" Don't just sit there you two, going all googly eyed at one another, get started with the food, there's a lot to get through". She grinned, knowingly.

I gave a deep sigh. I really needed to tell her that we were not a couple, so I opened my mouth in which to say something, only to be distracted by Alan who immediately began filling his plate.

I then looked on as he started to tuck in. He certainly had a healthy appetite. I noticed too, that Mother was looking at me as I watched him eat and she turned away smiling to herself.
I then realised that it was in actual fact pretty futile trying to explain anything to her.
She was so happy within her thoughts that she probably wouldn't have believed me if I told her the truth anyway!

Father, on the other hand was not so happy.
He continued to stand, leaning against the kitchen work tops eyeing us both up almost disapprovingly.
I found his demeanour, especially towards Alan, most disconcerting and I wondered why he was being like this.

Mother had also noticed and had become slightly agitated by him as I spotted her giving him a hefty push and a somewhat hardened glare before shoving a plate into his hand and ordering him to get some food.

She then turned her attentions towards Alan and I and taking a deep breath, she then asked:

"So Gwen? What are your plans now that your play is over?"

I opened my mouth in which to answer, but she had now turned her back as she went to fetch the giant, floral teapot, that indecently, only came out on special occasions, from the work top and onto the table.
Then without looking at me, she went on:

"We were so sorry that we weren't able to come down to London to watch you, but we were so busy with everything, that by the time we had got ourselves organised, it was all over".

I put my head down.
This was the same story I had heard over a dozen or more times before. I knew they never had any intention of ever coming to see me perform.
It saddened me to think that they had never ever seen any of the plays that I had been in, and that was more than likely due to my Father!

"It doesn't matter". I answered sadly, although it did matter.

It mattered a great deal.

" My stage acting is going to be put on hold for the time being anyway". I continued.

With that I got the attention of both my Mother AND my Father, as they both turned to stare at me.
I smiled to myself.

" I've got a part in a film". I announced.

A silence descended around me.

"A proper film, you know with a speaking part and everything". I grinned.

"Really?". My Mother asked, cautiously.

" Yes really, I'm just so excited about it all, I cannot wait to get started!". I beamed.

"Oh my goodness". Mother suddenly said, clasping her hands over her mouth, "A real film".

I nodded my head with a grin.

"Did you hear that George? Gwen's going to be a film star". Mother said turning to her husband, who was looking down at his plate in a non caring sort of way.

"I heard". He said quietly, without looking up.

" Oh Gwen, this is wonderful news". Mother said, as the realisation of what I had just said, really started to dawn on her.

"I know". I beamed, "I can hardly believe it myself".

"So?, who else is in it? Anyone really well known, anyone famous?". She asked, now sitting at the table opposite me and leaning forward.

" Um". I frowned, as a thought suddenly struck me.

I had no idea who else was going to be in it with me!
No idea at all!
I hadn't even asked Alan about it, although we had talked quite a lot during our journey we hadn't even spoke about who would also be in it!

Oh, what an idiot I was not to even ask!
What did Alan think about me now? That I didn't even care who I would be working with!
I suppose at the time I was just so pleased that I had got the part in the first place, that any thought of who I'd be working alongside was immaterial.
I mean, I had only been told last night!
My head was still all over the place!!

I looked over at Alan, who was now wiping his mouth on a napkin. I frowned. When did we ever have napkins?
Gosh, Mother had really pulled out all the stops.

He then turned to look at me, and noticed that I was staring at him for help in answering my Mothers question. To be honest, I was really rather intrigued to know myself.

"Well, as far as I know there's Jeremiah Johnston, Samantha Grimes, Scott Bancroft and we've also managed to get Jules Rybak on board". He said, casually folding his hands over one another on the table.

"Ooh, I've heard of him". Mother said excitedly looking over to me.

So had I, and my eyes widened at not only the mention of Jules Rybak, but also the list of other famous and well known actors.
How on earth did Alan manage to get all these involved?

I looked over at him, watching as he smiled ruefully at my Mother's apparent excitement.

"Isn't that exciting love". My Mother grinned at me.

I glanced at her before turning my attention back towards Alan again.

"Yes.......very". I said slowly, waiting for him to look at me again.
But he didn't. He continued to look straight ahead.

"So?, Are you in it too?". My Mother asked Alan suddenly and directly.

I let out a quiet laugh and also shook my head as I took a bite out of one of Mother's tasty sausage rolls.
Why was she asking such a well known renowned actor such as Alan Rickman, if he was in a film that I was going to be in!
I mean, come on!
But of course, she didn't know that he was a well renowned actor.

Or did she?

I looked over at her questioning gaze at him.
No, I don't think she actually knew who he was, it was just a wild, stab in the dark question, so I shook my head at her again before answering for him:

"Oh Mother, of course he's not".

"As a matter of fact". A low, deep baritone spoke from beside me, "I am".

I turned to him in shocked disbelief. My stomach suddenly churning and my face reddening with every second that went by.

"What?". I managed to splutter.

"Oh that's marvellous!" Mother clapped her hands with happiness. "Did you hear George, Gwen and Alan are going to be in a film together".

This time my Father did not answer. Instead he just looked under his eyes at us both and grumbled.

I frowned at him then turned my attention back towards Alan again. I simply could not believe that he was also in the film too and he hadn't even told me.

"And I gather you'll be receiving a lovely big pay cheque then when you finish". Mother suddenly smiled at me. "And then you'll be able to give up that awful washing up job in that horrid little resturant".

I glared at her.
It wasn't horrid and I happened to like working there but I didn't really want Alan to twig that I only ever washed up at José's either.

"I don't know Mother, to be honest". I answered her quickly, then looked over at Alan who was continuing to eat.

He immediately noticed and so once again wiped the corners of his mouth with his napkin and proceeded to explain:

"Well, it all depends on how well received the film is. We are hoping, of course that it does really well and we are, extremely excited about the whole thing. So if Gwen wishes to give up her job, I see no real reason why she shouldn't be able to, for I'm quite sure that many other offers will surely come her way whatever the outcome of this particular film".

My stomach twisted.
It really sounded as if Alan had an awful amount of faith in me.
This was a real turn up for the books. I mean, whoever would have thought it!

Mother was once again clapping her hands excitedly.

"Aww, My little Gwen. A film star!". She beamed. "I simply cannot believe it".

I looked down at my knotted fingers on my lap.
Neither could I.

"And what's this film all about then?". My Mother then asked.

I looked up and met her eyes.

"Well.........". I breathed in deeply. " It's quite complicated really, but basically it's about two very successful businessmen, who were great friends in the past, suddenly meeting up again after many years apart. The one friend though, finds himself falling in love with the daughter of his one time best friend and because of the age difference and morals and such like, complications arise!".

I looked over to Alan as if for reassurance and he smiled.

I sucked in another breath.

"I play the daughter". I went on, proudly.

"And I play Jonathan Saunders". Alan added.

There was a pause, as he swallowed hard and then took a long breath, before going on:

"The man who falls in love with her".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

103K 2.9K 27
Calum's ready for a new movie. He really wants to make it worth it. And in order to do that, he has to come up with the perfect cast and crew. Which...
23 0 15
Hi this is my first story Lily is a 22 year old actress who was invited to the London film festival. When she shows up there with her best friend Se...
70.7K 2.6K 53
Meet Emilia Knight, a lonely 23 year old girl who works as an assistant in a movie production company. She struggles to see if there will be a bright...
1.1K 4 34
Daisy Arabella up and coming singer, actress lands her dream role all because of her best friend and rock Tom Holland. Is there something more betwee...