Violet - Book Two

Par Graciewilliams1234

~SEQUEL TO HEALING - BOOK ONE~ September 1945 - Violet le Doré is almost eighteen and, to the delight of the... Plus

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
thank you

sixteen

1.4K 52 8
Par Graciewilliams1234

In the time between the beach visit and Miss Peregrine's gathering I turned eighteen years of age. There was no enormous party, or an endless showering of gifts. I got to spend the day with the people I care about most.

The day began with me waking up a little later than usual, and walking downstairs to see a fantastic birthday breakfast laid out on the best china across the dining table. One seat at the head of the table had remained empty, waiting for me. Enoch sat to my left, and Bronwyn to my right. When I completed the seating plan, Miss Peregrine raised her glass of orange juice in the air and toasted the day:

"To Violet and her adulthood!"

Her exclamation was followed by an almost choral-like repetition of her statement before everyone tucked into their breakfast. Enoch clinked his glass against mine before digging into some scrambled eggs. I truly felt like a princess then.

After breakfast, we all went out to the garden where I received a present from all my housemates - a new pair of baby dolls which I had once gawped at through a shop window in the village. They were cream leather with a baby blue toe and brass detailing - I fell completely in love. Shortly after, Miss Peregrine handed me three letters and two small parcels, which I hide myself away in the living room to open.

The first letter was from Emma and Jake, wishing me a wonderful birthday. Apparently Cornwall is beautiful - and that I should come and visit when I can. The smallest parcel was also from them, and it contained a little red tin carrying a black cake of mascara and a little brush. I made a mental note to thank them both via letter, although I doubt Jake had anything to do with the gift side of things.

The next birthday wish came from my parents, and it was basic to say the least. You could have mistaken it as a card for their long-lost cousin rather than their own daughter.

Finally, I opened a card from Rosanna. She apologised for not writing as often and wrote that she hoped her gift would make up for it. My heart swelled with gratitude for my sister when the larger parcel was found to contain some pale pink satin gloves with lace detail at the wrist. It certainly made up for the lack of gift from our parents.

Having had such a lush breakfast meant that a small selection of cold vegetables and a variety of sandwiches were the only lunch offering. Each of us piled up the food onto our plates and sat in the October sunbeams. Enoch was, however absent.

"Doesn't he want lunch?" Hugh exclaimed.

After our meal, Miss Peregrine and Olive took the plates inside to wash up, and I engaged in a game of cards for a while against Horace, Fiona and Millard.

"I have the King of Clubs." Horace smirked, smug.

"Cheat!" Fiona shrieked with a grin crawling across her dimples cheeks. Horace realised he's been caught and his smile faded.

"How do you know?"

"Because I have the King of Clubs!"

Fiona smiled in triumph at her victory and places her amassed cards on the grass. She indeed had the king of clubs, as well as everyone else's original cards. She is by far the best in house at this game.

It was then I heard Enoch's raised voice coming from the back door.

"Violet!"

Upon turning around, I saw that he was indeed stood on the steps, hands in his pockets and looking very proud of himself.

"Come here."

I sprung up from the ground and almost skipped towards his position. He put a protective arm around my waist and gently pushed me into the house.

"Go upstairs. There's somethin' in your bedr-"

Before he had a chance to finish, I gripped his hand and bounced up the stairs, dragging him behind me. Just as I reached the top floor I felt his grab my waist and hold me against him.

"I'll cover your eyes." He whispered in my ear, pecking my cheek.

"Why?" I giggled, letting my head roll back into his shoulder.

"Because its a surprise."

His hands slid over my eyes and he pushed me forward with his body. I took tiny, shuffling steps, not trusting myself not to walk into something.

"Keep your right eye closed; I'm opening the door."

I obeyed , keeping myself completely in the dark whilst I hear the door click open. His leg brushed past mine as he pushed it with his foot. We walked a little further, and his hand left my face again to shove the door shut.

"Ready?"

"Yes."

"Alright." He took his hands from my eyes and I peeled open my eyelids. At first, I was unable to see as the sunlight saw fit to blind me momentarily. However once I'd regained some sight I was able to see a pile of objects on my bed. Gifts wrapped in brown paper, flowers - all sorts.

"Enoch!" I gasped, taken aback. I turned towards him and saw that he was grinning broadly.

"Happy birthday, doll." He said, taking both my hands. I let slip a small, surprised laugh and pecked his lips, for the duration of which I kept smiling. "G'warn then. Go wild!" He lead me towards where everything was sitting and waited patiently. I didn't know where to start.

I perched on the side of my mattress while he pulled up the stool from my dresser. I first picked up a bunch of peachy-pink roses in a paper bag. I held them up and inspected them, still beaming with delight. Enoch held his hand out and gestured to the empty vase which had conveniently been sitting on the nightstand beside the letters he had wrote. I watched as he noticed them, and smiled fondly.

Enoch had also bought me a bunch of violets in a terracotta pot, which I placed on my windowsill in order for them to get enough sunlight.

Then came the gifts. He had started small - with a posh-looking writing set and some pencils, both of which I was beyond chuffed with.

"Open the big one next." He said, which prompted me to reach for the largest, misshapen parcel.

It turned out to contain a thick, genuine tweed jacket, with brown leather buttons and a stiff collar. I immediately rode from my perch and went to my mirror, where I tried it on.

"The green sets off your hair nicely." Enoch exclaims with a smirk, quite clearly happy with his purchases.

"Do you think so?" I ask, even though I knew full well it did, hence why I wear green a lot.

I kept on my new pride-and-joy when I returned to open the two final packages. One was similar to the jacket: lumpy and soft. I sat it in my lap and carefully peeled open the edges of the wrapping paper to reveal a segment of cream silk. Upon ripping apart the remainder of the paper, I held up a shining nightgown with spaghetti-like straps. The neckline and the hem are lined with lace detailing; as much as I adored it, I doubted it would pass my knees.

"It's gorgeous Enoch," I draped it against myself and smiled down at it. "And short."

He did not say a word. I looked up and saw that he was still smirking. Clearly, that was the point of the garment.

"Open the last one, Violet."

The final present was a rectangular box shape. Beneath the paper hid a burgundy container with a tiny golden latch which kept the box from opening.

"Enoch..." I could not stop grinning as I opened up the box to reveal a silver chain, similar to the gold one which he sent me from Europe. At the end of the chain was an open flower, purple in colour.

"I finally found one." He chuckled as he pushed himself from his stool. "I'll put it on."

"I have a choice now." I murmur, sweeping my hair over my shoulder so he can reach my neck. He took a seat behind me on the bed and clutched the little box in his hand. Enoch unclipped the rose pendant and passed it to me, before taking the violet counterpart and setting it in its place.

I turned around to face him and looked down at the tiny enamel flower sitting between my collarbones.

"It's beautiful."

"A beautiful necklace for a beautiful girl."

"You're an angel." I whispered , and I kissed him again.

Now, it is the evening of October 30th 1945 - in other words, the close of my final continuous day. I sit beneath the sheets in my new nightdress, handling the tiny violet between my forefinger and thumb. I don't want to sleep - it may prove a waste of valuable time.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

674K 24.7K 100
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
172K 4.9K 67
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...
362K 7.9K 45
Have you ever had that one very important secret that you weren't never supposed to tell that it was just so impossible to keep. This story is about...
191K 7.2K 81
• A Galaxy Divided by War• ~ The Bad Batch. Hunter. Tech. Crosshair. Wrecker. Echo. A group of elite defective clones, fighting their own way through...