Lady Evan Wins the Day, The C...

By thequietwriter

Can love survive the scrutiny of society? Rosalind's marriage to the charming Lord Evan Westwood was a love m... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Epilogue

Chapter Two

3.7K 244 8
By thequietwriter

Smoothing the pale pink skirt of her morning gown, Rosalind entered the sitting room. Though she had been hoping for some privacy to write letters, she found her sister-in-law, Lady Thomas Westwood, already there. Holding back a sigh, Rosalind forced a smile.

"Good morning, Rosalind," the woman said, lifting her gaze from the embroidery. "How was the soiree last night?"

"Good morning, Henrietta," Rosalind said. "It was entertaining. A few of the ladies could have benefitted from more practice with a master, but I did enjoy myself."

"Well, we cannot all have your patience for such a task." Henrietta took up her needle again. "I did warn you that the performances would disappoint you, did I not? You and Evan ought to have come with us to the Dunbar dinner and met some of my friends."

Resisting the impulse to cringe, Rosalind went to the desk and sat down. She'd met the Dunbar family once and had no interest in furthering her acquaintance with them. That Henrietta called them friend was concerning. "I take you had an enjoyable evening as well?"

"Well enough. I do wish I had won more at the card tables, but such is the way those things go."

Offering what she hoped was a sympathetic smile, Rosalind focused on the letter she wished to write. She and Emily had played card games for treats or other small treasures, but neither had ever risked what little money they had possessed. Once they had grown, they both had kept far from any wagers or games that involved high risk.

Others in society, of course, were not so careful with their money. It had come as a shock to realize Evan's brothers and their wives were fond of gambling. As she thought about it, Rosalind couldn't be sure if Evan enjoyed the activity himself. He never mentioned losing or winning at cards or any other wagers.

"Has Evan mentioned any prospects of a house for you?"

Startled from her musing about her husband's activities, Rosalind glanced over. Henrietta was bending over her embroidery as if to give the appearance the question was casual.

"He hasn't said anything about it," Rosalind said, watching her sister-in-law curiously.

"I see." The disappointment in Henrietta's voice was clear to hear. "Well, I am sure he is doing all he can. Perhaps next time he will make a decision before all of the good addresses have been taken for the season. Or perhaps you will purchase a townhouse for yourself."

Rosalind had long suspected her sister-in-law was not pleased with having them in her house, for all her exclamations of them being welcome and that they must stay for however long necessary. After two months, it was easy to understand how they may have overstayed their welcome.

"Perhaps, if we do not find something, we will simply return to Darkhall," Rosalind said, trying to reassure the other woman. Oh, how she hoped that would be the case! "The last thing we wish is to be a burden to you and Lord Thomas."

"My dear, you mustn't worry about something so trivial," Henrietta was quick to say. "Thomas and I are delighted to have you. Now, I confess if we'd had any of the children with us, it would be a bit cramped. But, of course, they are too young to come to town."

"You must miss them," Rosalind said softly, thinking of three nephews she'd met briefly in the fall. They'd all had the Westwood features, making her think her husband must have looked just like them as a boy. And it gave her an idea of what her own son may look like. The thought sent a burst of longing through her.

Henrietta lifted her shoulders. "Oh, no more than usual. They have their lessons with their tutor and Nanny looks after them the rest of the time. It won't be long before they go off to school, you know."

The woman's attitude reminded Rosalind too much her uncle's behavior towards Emily. A nanny and governess had ruled the nursery for several years after Rosalind's arrival. It hadn't been until her cousin was sixteen that Uncle Lawrence had taken more of an interest in his only child.

"You must have many improvements planned for Darkhall," Henrietta said. Though her needle was in her hand, she made no move to continue her activity. "The last time Thomas took me there I remember how grim and uninspiring everything was. I can recommend an excellent architect to make alterations."

"Thank you, but I have no plans at the moment," Rosalind said, shuddering at the idea of taking on a large project. "Darkhall is charming as it is, and seems sound. I don't think there is anything that needs updating or changed."

"Charming? That old heap? My dear, you are in need of more help than I thought."

Bristling at the woman's tone, Rosalind shook her head. "I appreciate the concern, but Evan has said nothing about desiring any changes to the house. He's concerned about the drainage in one of the fields, of course, so we must wait until that is taken care pf before we consider any other project."

Henrietta waved her hand. "What do we care about a field's drainage? I assure you Darkhall will need a complete renovation to be considered acceptable. In fact, it may be beneficial to find a townhouse while the changes are made. I cannot imagine residing in a dwelling while construction is occurring."

Tired of the conversation, Rosalind decided to end it. "I will speak to Evan. Thank you for your advice."

"Oh, I'm sure there is no need for that. The appearance of a house rests in the hands of the mistress. After you consult with an expert who has seen the house, make the decision and then tell Evan how much it will cost. He can have no objection." Henrietta gave a decisive nod as though she considered the matter settled.

Having no intention of doing any such thing, Rosalind offered one last smile and then bent over her letter.

Dear Emily,

How are you, dear cousin? Have you tired of traveling? Where are you at present? What new adventure have you had on your journey?

I do wish you had made it to London for the start of the Season, Emily. It has been harder than I'd ever imagined being comfortable among strangers. A few of the matrons have frowned in such a way I truly believe they remember the sins of my parents. Evan's family have been kind, of course, but I can't help feeling they are disappointed in Evan's choice of bride...

Breathing out, Rosalind sat back. It had been freeing to put her thoughts and feelings on to paper, but she knew she couldn't actually send the letter. It would only worry Emily, and worried Emily was a force to be reckoned with.

"Trouble?" Henrietta asked, her tone sweet.

"No. Simply trying to find the words to describe the Season to my cousin," Rosalind said honestly. "She has been traveling, so I imagine nothing in town can compare to what she has seen."

The words appeared to appease the woman for she turned back to her embroidery. Biting her lip, Rosalind selected a fresh of paper, thankful to be in a position for such extravagance. She folded her first attempt, intending on consigning it to the first fire she found and began again.

Dearest Emily,

What new wonders have you discovered this week? I think you know what life in London can be like and there has been little change, so I shan't bore you with the details of where I have been or what I have seen.

I will tell you of who I have met. An old friend of Evan's and I do believe his wife shall be a good friend. We have similar taste in music, and you know how much that means to me. I think you would like her...

****

While Henrietta remained at home to callers, Rosalind decided she would enjoy making her own calls. Once she was in the carriage, she thought of the places she intended to visit. Mrs. Landon had been kind enough to extend an invitation to her, and she was eager to learn more about the woman.

Of course, there were one or two other society matrons Rosalind felt obliged to call upon as well. She intended to keep those visits as brief as was socially possible. Connections must be maintained, no matter how tiresome the task was, and she had been brought up to do her duty.

By the time she reached the Landon townhouse, Rosalind felt as though her face was permanently frozen with a polite smile. It was only when Mrs. Landon crossed the drawing room to grasp her hands that the young lady felt more herself. Her smile felt more natural as she greeted her new friend.

"I was so hoping you would come," Mrs. Landon said. Her short curly hair was held back with a pale blue scarf. "I'll send for fresh tea, and we can get comfortable."

"That would be lovely." Rosalind sank onto the settee. Mrs. Landon spoke to a maid and then came to the sofa.

"I gave instructions that I am not at home to any other callers," she said with a pleased smile. "My mother-in-law is out making her own calls, so we will not be interrupted."

"Oh. I didn't realize Mrs. Landon resided with you." Rosalind felt the heat rise in her cheeks. "Forgive me. That was rude."

"Not at all," Mrs. Landon hastened to assure her. "If we are to be exact, my husband and I are guests of his mother. She insists she needs his companionship during the Season. She relies on him, you understand."

"My husband's mother is the same, though Evan is the youngest. I was told Evan and your husband were great friends in school," Rosalind said, desperate to move past her thoughtless comment.

Mrs. Landon gave a nod. "I remember Gerard mentioning his friend was marrying and curious about who had finally caught West's attention." She smiled. "I believe he rather approves of you, my lady. You seem to be of a practical disposition, which is all too rare."

"I like to think I am. And please, call me Rosalind. I still am not used to being called 'my lady.'"

"Then, you must call me Eugenia." They shared another smile. "You must tell me about yourself, Rosalind. How did you meet West?"

Hearing her husband's nickname, Rosalind couldn't help but smile. "I lived in the country with my uncle and cousin. Mr. Adrian Williams, a friend of West, took possession of the neighboring estate and West visited him."

She kept the further details to herself; how her uncle had forbidden them from acknowledging the two men, but her uncle's illness had brought Emily and Rosalind to the estate. The intense hatred Uncle Lawrence had for the Williams had almost broken Emily's heart.

"And so you met West," Eugenia said with a pleased, delighted smile. She waited as tea was brought in. "I do hope he thanked Mr. Williams for creating the circumstances for you to meet."

"As Mr. Williams married my cousin, I believe he is thankful for his good fortune."

"How lovely! Two cousins marrying best friends." Eugenia handed over a cup of tea. "I do hope the Dowager didn't intimidate you too much yesterday. She can be overwhelming at the best of times."

"Oh, no," Rosalind said quickly. She sipped her tea and hoped that would be all said on the matter. "She seems the type who looks to cause trouble."

"Whatever the Dowager was trying to imply, I hope you won't think anything of it," Eugenia continued, her brown eyes kind. "I believe she searches out any obscure detail she thinks will discompose others. It is her one hobby."

"As I told my husband, it was nothing," Rosalind said as firmly as she could. "The dowager may be one of those ladies who have little to occupy themselves and thus take too much of an interest in other people. I have met such ones before, and the best way to manage them is to give them no attention."

"The dowager's full occupation is being disagreeable, but you are correct. One merely has to withstand her prying and hinting, and she will turn her attention elsewhere." Eugenia shook her head. "I hope you know I stand your friend no matter what mischief the matrons try to stir up."

For a moment, Rosalind was tempted to confess her family's history. To have someone understand was an appealing idea. Before she could say a word, though, the other woman offered her a plate of tarts. "I have a weakness for sweets," Eugenia said with a rueful smile. "My mother and Gerard's have despaired of ever breaking me of my love."

"You and my cousin would get along famously," Rosalind said, selecting a delicate pastry. "She would rather have tarts than any other food. My enjoyment is nothing to the delight she has for anything sweet."

"Does your cousin plan to come for the season?"

Rosalind sighed. "I know they hoped to, but the adventures of traveling abroad may keep them from coming."

"Well, if they do come, you will have to introduce us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 896 18
What happens when you put two people who don't want to be together in a week-long country house party? Adelaide Kendall has hated Philip Wyndham far...
89.7K 1.1K 23
Reputations, like the delicate petals of a Helstone rose, are fragile things indeed... Upon discovering Margaret in the arms of an unknown man, John...
469K 29.9K 35
Two years ago, Miranda 'Rain' Howerty sent the gossip mill into a frenzy when she married the elusive Duke of Winterbourne, Marcus Dashcombe, a mere...
POVERTY'S PRIDE By Gwen

Historical Fiction

457K 21.2K 47
1885 When her father dies, Rosalind Trevellian (19) is left destitute and homeless. Grief-stricken and apprehensive, Rosalind travels far west to the...