The Unexpected Bride (On Hold)

By misscowgirlup22

*****Chrissie James isn't ready for love, nor does she want it. She’s had too many run-ins with love, and all... More

Synopsis
Prologue- Photo of Chrissie
Chapter 1- Photo of Derek
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 *Important Author's Note*

Chapter 2

1K 65 15
By misscowgirlup22

Copyright 2014 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 2

            “What!? Oh my goodness Chrissie that’s great new!” Anna yelled into her cell phone.

            “Yeah, my assignment is to do research on the search and rescue operation in Montana…” Chrissie trailed off.

            “You don’t sound very excited about your assignment. What’s wrong?”

            “I am excited it’s just I don’t want to see your husband’s best friend.” Chrissie cringed while she waited for Anna to yell at her over the phone.

            “I’ve been meaning to ask you about what happened between you and Derek,” she paused. “So what happened between the two of you.”

            Chrissie had known that that question was coming, but she’d never thought to prepare and answer for it.

            After a minute of waiting for a response from Chrissie, Anna spoke. “Are you still there?”

            “Yeah, I’m still here.”

            “Okay, then tell me what happened.”

            “We don’t get along. We annoy each other and I don’t see that ever changing.” Chrissie knew she was being vague, but she didn’t want to tell Anna the whole story over the phone.

            “There’s more that you’re not telling me Chrissie.” She said without beating around the bush.

            “Anna can we talk about this when I get to Montana, I really don’t want to have this conversation over the phone. I’m tired and I have a long trip ahead of me.”

            “Fine, but when you get here I want the whole story and none of those crappy excuses that you just used on me.”

            “Okay, I’ll tell the whole story when I get there.” Chrissie was cringing as she said that, she really didn’t want to discuss her situation with Derek to anyone, not even Anna.

            “Do you need one of us to pick you up from the airport? It probably wouldn’t be me since I’m about to pop, but Brent or one of the hands could come and get you.”

For a moment Chrissie had almost forgotten that Anna was quickly approaching her due date and any time now they’d be welcoming a miniature Anna into the world.

            “No, but thanks for the offer, the search and rescue people are sending someone to pick me up from the airport. I’m not quite sure who it will be. They’ll probably have someone at the baggage claim holding up a sign with my name on it.”

            “Alright… I can’t wait for you to get here. I’ve missed you so much. Don’t get me wrong I love my husband, but I’ve missed the company of my best friend.”

            Hearing Anna say that she missed her made Chrissie’s heart ache. Chrissie would love to live near Anna, but her job was in New York and she had to do what was best for her career.

            “I’ve missed you, too. I’ll see you tomorrow night. Love you.”

            “Okay, see you tomorrow. Love you, too.”

Chrissie heard the click signaling that Anna had ended the call and then she sighed. Living so far away from her best friend was getting harder. She’d been able to visit Anna rather frequently until things with her work had begun to pick up.

Chrissie left her phone on her bed and drug out her suitcases and began to pack. She had to be up early the next morning so that she could get to the airport in enough time to go through security before her flight was to leave.

After an hour of packing Chrissie still wasn’t finished, she had so many things that she had to bring since she would be doing so many different things while she was in Montana.

There would be lots of hiking, sitting in conference rooms during meetings, not to mention all the down time she would be spending with Anna once the baby arrived. Chrissie was looking forward to this trip, but she wasn’t too excited about the Search and Rescue yearly ball that she would have to go to towards the end of her assignment.

Chrissie liked getting dressed up, but she despised having to go out and mingle…. One could most definitely say that Chrissie was a little bit anti-social, but that’s how Chrissie had gotten the job she had. She stayed in most of the time and spent endless hours perfecting her work instead of immersing herself in the crazy New York City night life.

After a couple more hours spent packing Chrissie finished preparing everything that she would need for the morning and then she double checked her travel plans.

            When she was getting ready to shut her computer down a message popped up on her Facebook account. Chrissie immediately clicked on it curious as to her was messaging her this late at night.

            Chrissie was flabbergasted when she saw who had been messaging her.

            Derek! What?! Why in the world was he messaging her?!?! She hadn’t seen him in months and now he was messaging her!!!

            Memories of the last time she saw him bombarded her. The memory of his skin against hers hit her full force and she shivered. It felt so….right when they were together in the bedroom, but anywhere else they just fell apart…

            Chrissie liked him she really, truly honestly did, but to her that wasn’t enough. Liking and being attracted to someone had never been enough or a good enough basis for her previous relationships. So why would it work now?

            It wouldn’t and she it’d do her a lot of good to remember that.

            When she clicked the message icon she immediately read:

            How are you? It’s been a while since I’ve talked to you and I was told that you’re coming back to Montana for a little while. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that the department is sending me to pick you up from the airport tomorrow. I’ll be at baggage claim waiting for you, but you probably already knew that par.

            Oh good God! How could this get any worse?!

            There’d been a reason why she hadn’t talked to him or seen him since the wedding. She’d left him after their amazing night and to be honest she felt quite guilty after their night. She changed over these last couple of years. She didn’t sleep around anymore. She just wasn’t that kind of girl anymore, but that one night she’d slipped up.

            To be honest…. She’d left because she didn’t want Derek to think so little of her or that she was that kind of girl.

            The whole situation was screwed up. She should never have left without him knowing. She should have waited until Derek woke up and faced her problems head on instead of running away like a scared child.

            It’s not like it really mattered she’d have to face him tomorrow. Chrissie couldn’t help but cringe she’d never been one to face her problems head on she liked to put them off to the side where she could avoid them.

            She turned her head back to the screen of her computer and began to type a message to Derek.

            I’m doing alright, I hope that you’re doing well. I’ll be sure to look for you tomorrow!

            Without another thought she sent the message to Derek, hoping that he wouldn’t send her another one tonight. She needed to think about what she was going to say to him tomorrow.

            Chrissie left her computer open for another couple of minutes and when she saw that there was no response she shut it off and climbed into bed. There was no doubt in her mind that tomorrow was going to be a long day.

*****

            Chrissie had never in her life been so happy that her flight had so little turbulence because that meant she got to sleep during her whole flight or at least until the flight attendant came on the intercom.

            “We will be landing at the Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport in less than ten minutes. If you could please buckle your seatbelts and put your trays up. Thank you and it’s been a pleasure flying with you all, we hope to see you again soon!” The speaker cut off and the flight attendant went to her own seat in the back and buckled up.

            She was not looking forward to seeing him, but first she had to re-buckle her seat belt because the plane was beginning its decent to land.

            The previous night she’d tossed and turned all night long, barely getting any sleep because she couldn’t stop thinking about Derek.

            Chrissie had no clue how to get out of the hole that she’d gotten herself into. She couldn’t avoid him any longer.

            She wasn’t sure if she was ready to see Derek within the hour. 

            When the tires of the plane hit the tarmac Chrissie winced. She was dreading getting off the plane, but she still grabbed her carryon and made her way off the plane and to baggage claim.

            It took Chrissie a few minutes to make it to get to the carousel and when she got there she looked around, but she didn’t see Derek. So instead of standing there like a lost girl she stood in from of the carousel and waited for her bag to be deposited onto the carousel.

            It took her a couple minutes to locate her bag, but when she went to grab the last one a hand came out of nowhere and yanked it off of the carousel.

            Chrissie turned to look at the person ready to reprimand them for taking her bag when she saw Derek standing next to her with her bag in his hand.

            He looked at her and smiled. “Long time no see, Chrissie.”

            All Chrissie could do was stand there and look dumbly at him. 

*****

Sorry this took so long. I've been pretty busy with grduating from high school, getting ready for college, and also going to military drills and getting ready to ship to BCT in the fall.... Yes, you understood that correctly I start college next Monday, but I have to move into the dorms this Saturday--yeah yuck!!! I'm so not looking forward to starting college. Chapters will be pretty scarce because since college and the military are going to take up a lot of my time.

Anyways I hope you guys like this chapter!!! The song on the side is Goodbye In Her Eyes by Zac Brown Band, it kind of goes along with Chrissie ditching Derek after they slept together. Sorry this is so short and kind of a filler chapter.... Please comment and vote!!! I want to hear what you think!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.9K 586 24
In everyone's life, there is always a moment that changes everything drastically. Maybe you meet the love of your life. Maybe you lose someone dear...
18K 823 65
A lonely girl from a small town in Oklahoma finds herself in the middle of Seattle, Washington. What she didn't know was fate was about to deal her a...
13.3K 871 35
Emma Ayers suffers from PTSD from sexual abuse. From ages 8-13, she was raped, molested, and tortured by her Uncle Jack. Despite the fact that he is...
Logan By Marie

Teen Fiction

10.8K 269 31
*TW* Contains topics and scenes of sexual assault, self-harm, abuse.* "You know you loved every second of it," I can feel the tears welling up as wel...