When The Heart Sings

By CrystalScherer

Power and money didn't really interest Serena, instead she wished for a life of peace and safety. Barely able... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 78

30.6K 2.6K 114
By CrystalScherer

Serena's POV:

My internal debate didn't last that long. Alex was joining the Council, so I was certain we would come to visit him regularly. One of the Dranek would likely be taking a Council seat, and if the svipers joined, then I also wanted to come and visit with both races. Both of those races were already aware of my singing ability.

I took a deep breath, "I think I have to show you guys something..." I looked up at Darien, "Let's go outside to that tree."

He nodded and took my hand as he led me towards the door. Saphira followed behind us as Alex trailed behind. Fiona looked utterly confused.

We passed oblivious servants and even a couple of candidates in the hallways who weren't aware that something large and significant was about to occur. I rounded a corner and almost bumped into Lucas.

"Ah, there you guys are. I was just coming to see if you realized exactly how boring that library is. Where are we headed?"

Darien was slightly exasperated with his brother, on edge since I was about to expose my magic, "Serena offered to sing for us outside."

It sounded so mundane, yet those who truly knew me also knew what it meant. Although, I wasn't exactly sure if Alex knew what was about to occur, or how much he had figured out. Lucas perked up, "Cool, I will tag along then. I have never heard her sing before."

He joined our group as we headed outside. I slowly walked closer to the tree and Darien walked beside me. I stopped when I was close to the trunk as I gazed up at the massive tree. Its branches weren't exactly dead, but most of the branches were bare, with only a few pale gold leaves adorning them.

I leaned into Darien's side as I started humming. I could see a few guards on the walls and a few Tarulk servants on the grounds. They would likely be able to hear me sing and may connect my singing with the tree's recovery. Maybe. It wasn't exactly the most obvious conclusion.

My magic rose and I realized just how much help this tree needed. I wasn't even sure how it had managed to not lose most of its branches. My voice shifted into a soft wordless song as I called to the tree.

The ground had hardened with the passing of countless feet and any rainfall simply ran down the gentle slope. The ground was too dry. There was grass, but just beneath the grass the dirt was dry powder. The tree had a massive root system, but it wasn't sufficient and not going in quite the right directions. I pushed my senses out and located the flooded basement further over.

I coaxed the tree to send out a large root in that direction, promising it water. The moment the root found damp ground, its growth accelerated. My song allowed it to absorb massive amounts of water within mere heartbeats.

Before my very eyes, the bark became a richer brown and leaf buds swelled with its newfound resource. The whooshing sound of hundreds of thousands of leaves uncurling within seconds was a sound I had never heard before.

Flower buds grew and opened, allowing their fragrant scent to cascade down to those below. My soft song trailed off. I had barely sung for fifteen seconds, but the sheer power of my song never failed to shock me.

I glanced over to see that Alex look stunned, he clearly had not realized exactly what he had asked for. Fiona was blinking as if she was waiting for the mirage to disappear while Saphira looked awed at the rather noticeable change. Lucas simply gaped at the tree.

The other Tarulk within sight were all staring at the recovered tree - and at our group near its base, most likely thinking that our group had something to do with its recovery.

I whispered, "It may be best if we keep the true extent of my abilities quiet, although I don't mind if rumor of me being able to make plants grow becomes common knowledge."

No one replied, but I was quite certain that they agreed with me, even if Alex, Fiona, and Lucas weren't aware of the fine details.

Saphira looked around at the dozen bystanders, "Why don't we head somewhere quieter while people try to wrap their heads around this recent development? I have a feeling that seeing this tree fully recovered is going to make some heads spin."

I had a feeling it was another massive understatement in the making.

*     *     *

Alex sat down on the garden bench and kissed Fiona before turning to us, "Let's just say that the Council is completely stunned, and I have accepted the Council seat they offered me. I didn't say much, but I did tell them you have an odd magic that can make plants grow. They are still asking if someone can send word to the Dranek elders to inquire about sending someone here as a representative for the Dranek."

Saphira considered it and nodded reluctantly, "I can send someone off with a message, although I do wish that there was a closer waygate."

Alex shrugged, "There used to be one half a day's travel from here, but it collapsed."

Saphira looked at Alex intently, "Before I send word to the elders, please inquire if the Council would like that waygate fixed. There are a couple gatemasters among our people with that ability, and if a waygate stood there previously, then it can be built there again."

Alex looked surprised, "I will do that. It would make life much easier for Tarulk as well."

Saphira simply nodded.

Alex looked at me, "I also made the recommendation that the two Council members consider extending an invitation to the svipers in some capacity. It is probably only due to the fact that you caused the peace tree to recover that they even considered it, but they have agreed to permanently have one seat on the Council reserved for a sviper. Which is surprising since they are actually fairly scared of the svipers. The Council members have no idea how to contact them though."

The Council may have been clueless, but I had a good idea of how to get in contact with them. "I think I may be able to arrange that. I can use my magic to call one in and ask him or her to take the message back for us. Will that suffice? I don't think my magic can manage anything more complicated."

"That would work fine. There isn't any rush either, although having a sviper around may cause a few potential candidates to run for the hills."

I could only call people I knew or remembered fairly well. Among the svipers, that meant the Queen, King, Princess, or Schlach. My choice was pretty obvious. I focused on Schlach as I started to gently hum my call, being careful to frame my call as a polite request for his presence whenever it was convenient for him. I also included my location in the call.

The song peaked and I was pretty sure my message had gotten across. I jumped a bit as I heard Schlach's own deep hum, along with a sense that he would come, but it would be a day or two before he arrived.

It sounded like he was humming right beside me, yet I knew he was nowhere close by. It shouldn't have surprised me that they had their own magic tricks, but it hadn't even occurred to me that he would have been able to respond in the same way I had called.

Darien felt me jump and was watching me closely, "What is it?"

I shook my head to recollect my thoughts, "I wasn't aware that he was able to reply in a similar fashion. Schlach says that he will be here in a day or so."

The others looked at me in surprise, although now that I thought about it, I had never told them about their own singing magic. I had never managed to tell my full story either, but this wasn't quite the place or time for it. "Svipers have a singing magic that is somewhat similar to mine, although it is unable to heal."

They looked even more surprised than they had before. Alex replied, "I guess the old myths are true. I have a feeling that the Council meetings are never going to be the same again."

I grinned at Alex, "Well, if you really want to make them memorable, you can try to force Darien to sit through one."

Alex winced at the mere thought of it. Darien pulled me against his chest, "Never. The meeting would be adjourned early if only to get me out of the room."

I didn't mention it to Darien, but I had thoughts about observing at least one of those sessions if both the Dranek and the sviper were present. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

928K 8.9K 10
❤️COMPLETED AND TAKEN DOWN ❤️ EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE ON KINDLE ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ She sits behind the bushes and can see him comfortably, he is trying to...
266K 9.1K 57
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐎𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐒𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ★★★ "Stop moving and stay still." "Then tell me where we are going then," I replied, getting annoye...
130 8 16
"I will always find you. No matter where, no matter how far. I will. Always. Find. You." He snarled at me, so close I could feel his breath hitting m...
1.7M 77.9K 51
[ Previously named---> 'Destined Together' ] "Stop pretending. Boyfriend, right? With whom you'll be hanging out once Eth and your Dad are gone." I s...