Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
Cast of characters

A forward by the author

76 5 0
By tomc100

Hello! Welcome to my Star Wars story: Heir to the Sith.

Before you begin, I would like to introduce myself and explain why I wrote Heir to the Sith.

My name is Tom Church and I have published a few books to date: namely the RuneScape series of fantasy novels which have achieved quite a popular following amongst their readers. Heir to the Sith is my first attempt at a Watt Pad feature however. To make the best of it I have already completed the novel, which means I can be sure of publishing regular updates -  a new chapter will be released every 2 days at 20.00 UK time.

This means that I have more time to spend discussing things with readers, which is one of the great glories of being a writer.

And as I write this, with the chapters loaded up, I have to admit to a feeling of nervous excitement. That's what the cumulation of two years of part time work will do to you!

So why did I choose Star Wars as a setting? As this is my first plunge into the world of Watt Pad, I felt I needed to have a 'big name' behind me to make the most of it. As a child of the 1980s I grew up with this universe, and in the nineties I followed the Expanded Universe novels, as did many of my friends. The love of George Lucas's creation inspired us to make our own stories too. I grew up with it. I loved it. And I always wanted to explore it in my own novel.

Furthermore, I wanted to set an adventure in an entirely new part of the Star Wars galaxy, with brand new characters and locations and creatures. I wanted to stand back from the traditional heroes of Star Wars: so no Han Solo or Luke or Leia, but rather characters who view their actions from afar and see their impact on the galaxy as a whole. I also wanted my readers to see the Empire in a different light, as a political construct and what that would mean for the people who operate in its fleets and armies.

At this point, the novel isn't just space fantasy, it is also an exploration of dictatorships and how they maintain control. The paranoia and fear that runs through such organisations would impede their functionality across all levels - and this is a key element that I wanted to display in the story - how dictatorships, ruling through fear and the threat of execution for its own operatives, stifle their own performance.

And to exacerbate this further, I chose to set it directly after the events in Return of the Jedi: the reader knows the Empire has suffered a key defeat. They know the Emperor and Darth Vader have perished. But the characters don't. Who can trust who in a political system based on deceit, corruption, and cold self advancement?

Sometimes, giving the reader more knowledge about the universe than the characters can work very well. It helps expose character motivations and highlights their uncertainty.

And the four characters I have chosen to view this story through are ideal for this: Captain Pina represents the traditional form of Empire, a young captain from minor noble stock on Coruscant, becoming increasingly aware of the true nature of Empire. Assayer Neerada, brainwashed since she was a child to commit atrocities in pursuit of a greater good by hunting down those with Force abilities, and who seeks out the memory of her life before. Princess Tayre Garrand, heir apparent to Farsalt, schooled in diplomacy and longing for the return of the Republic. And her adopted sister, Princess Ella Malquet, whose secret history will return to endanger all she has come to love.

The book also adheres strictly to Star Wars lore, with one exception: my introduction of Force Assayers, those Dark Side adepts who are brought into service by Vader after the destruction of the first Death Star to continue the hunt for Force sensitive enemies. In continuity, they replace the Inquisitors, who were present in the Rebels TV show but vanished just before the time of A New Hope.

This is a work of fanfiction, and the intellectual property rights with regard to the characters and settings mentioned obviously belong to Disney. 

If I can conclude with a quick word on the cover art: I put it together myself, using an image of Darth Vader from a clip art library site (just Google "Darth Vader clip art" to find several versions of the same image).

I hope you all enjoy the story and its fast-paced adventure: and I look forward to discussing it with you in the comments section below each chapter and on Twitter and Facebook or anywhere else. Oh yes - and please spread the work if you like this story.

May the Force be with us!

TS Church 12th March, 2018.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 264 179
M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶R̶a̶m̶s̶e̶y̶.̶ No. M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶. Never has been. My name is Luna. I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶E̶c...
22K 651 23
One year after the events of The Last Jedi, the Resistance is almost extinct. Only a dozen Resistance fighters are left. They hide on a small planet...
246K 6K 41
The Galactic Republic is in grave danger. Since the dramatic death of the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, the Senate believed the Republic was in no ha...
186 24 8
"It is just you and I," his voice is soothing, far more gentle than the wicked words of our past. "I love you beyond the darkest reaches of the galax...