Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.

42 2 2
By tomc100

The shockwave of the proton torpedo bombardment raced across the short distance from the ion cannon's armoured shell and into the hangar area. A hundred thousand drumbeats assaulted Ella's ears. The compression of gases, carried before the wave itself, heated up and simultaneously knocked Ella off her feet, hurling her several yards to crash against the side of the nearest ship. Her skin felt burned, and it tingled beneath her own touch.

She couldn't remember blacking out, but if she had been knocked unconscious then she realised it could only have been for a few seconds.

But she was blind. She knelt, feeling her surroundings in the darkness, waiting for the echoes to die down from the rampaging sound. She listened for any other voices, for Cor or Lance or . . . Jish!

"J-Jish?" she called. But the sound of her own voice was a tiny tremble, pathetic in a war-blighted galaxy, and did not carry more than the distance of her own awareness.

She stood and looked to where she imagined the platform to be. The darkness of her sight paled and grew lighter, and she knew then she wasn't blind - but it was the dust that had been carried in from the bombing.

It swirled on the wind and Ella's sight returned, vague and unfocused.

She saw the platform high up.

A figure moved near the edge. Its brown cloak fluttered and the hood fell away. The familiar auburn hair of her mentor fell loose in a dishevelled abandon.

Lady Jish crawled to the platform's edge and put her hand to her face.

"Jish!" Ella yelled again, this time louder than before but still not loud enough for her teacher - her saviour, to hear.

But another sense took over.

Ella felt Jish's attention. She tried to reach out to it, to draw her–

Suddenly Jish looked down, directly at Ella, and gave a single nod.

Pain and exhaustion took her. Ella's legs buckled and she sank to her knees. Her shoulder burst into pain, yet after a second, her mind was calm. The pain didn't matter. She felt prepared.

Cor croaked at Ella's side. The Corvian limped toward her and offered her support.

But Ella couldn't accept it. She looked at the platform again–

"JISH!"

The black figure of Mahon emerged from the dust. He stood over Jish and plunged his red saber down.

It entered her back, between her shoulder blades, and burst through her sternum.

Jish spasmed. Her arms shook uncontrollably and her face erupted in the briefest of agonies before she fell, face down, in a slump at Mahon's feet.

The Assayer withdrew his lightsaber and looked down at Ella, his face bloodied and his eyes fixed in rage.

"I'm done with her," he said. "Take her back."

He put his foot under her body and gave a kick.

Lady Jish fell over the platform's edge and spun twice in silence before she hit the hangar floor, hidden from Ella's sight by the Farsalt fighter.

The body hit the floor with a hideous 'crunch.'

Silence followed. The whole galaxy was quiet.

"J-Jish?" Ella whispered. It couldn't be true! It couldn't!

She moved to stagger around the nose of the fighter but Cor held her back.

"No," she told her. "There is nothing you can do, Ella. Trust me, you don't need to see."

Ella shook herself free and ran to the front of the fighter. With a breath, she peered around the edge.

Jish lay, face down and still. The brown cloak hid her face and body, but her right hand was outstretched and empty . . .

Her lightsaber rolled free, gaining an unnatural speed as it neared Ella.

Ella fell to her knees. Jish was dead. She knew it. She didn't need to see what the damage of the fall had done to her beautiful teacher.

She put her hand over her mouth and felt her heart beat faster and harder. She felt Cor come to her and grab her by her collar, to try and drag her away. She heard Mahon talking but didn't understand the words, and somewhere in the hangar a door slid open and many booted feet moved in.

The cylindrical object came to a stop against Ella's knee.

"We have to go. Now!" Cor was saying, pulling at her collar harder.

Ella took the lightsaber in her hand and let herself be pulled back to her feet.

"You cannot escape," Mahon said. He moved to the edge and stared down. His face was badly burned. Abruptly he sank to one knee and held himself upright with his hands on the platform's edge. "Surrender to me," he told her. "And I will be merciful."

Ella met his gaze and was satisfied when he flinched.

"When we meet again," she said, "I will not be. I promise it!"

She hastened after Cor toward the open hangar door and for the first time saw the damage the bombing had done to the ion cannon. A crater, pouring black smoke into the air, was all that was left of the shielded dome. In the blue sky above she saw numerous TIEs and Imperials shuttles, some of the fighters coming in low to strafe the city with indiscriminate fire. As she reached the bay doors, the last of the Farsalt fighters was shot down, sending up a plume of smoke and fire as it crashed a kilometre away.

Chip and the Imperial officer waited for them, watching over Lance Dare who lay on his back, shivering uncontrollably. He gave her a sad smile.

"Look up, your Highness," he said. "See what we've done."

"Endless skies!" Cor whispered in awe.

The sight that greeted Ella's eyes was one she had never imagined to see. The Onslaught laboured a mere kilometre above them. Clouds of black smoke were billowing from its port side. Debris continued to fall from from the widest part of its belly, and immense electric bursts erupted and died from across its length. Ella felt her hair tingle as the static built up.

And then she saw something that she did not know what to make of. A tiny figure in the white armour of a stormtrooper leapt from a blazing platform and fell, choosing to fall to his death rather than burn. Two more figures followed, the grey drab uniforms of officers coming into view as they spun toward the ground and were finally, dreadfully, lost from her sight.

A heart beat later, and the platform they had leapt from erupted in an blaze of flame.

She felt a dark savage joy at forcing her enemies into that position, a strength so powerful she couldn't help but smile.

But the thought lasted no longer than a single second, to be replaced by an appreciation of the terror that they must have felt to have chosen to end their lives that way. And a sense of shame and deep guilt that she had been partly responsible. Someone else, far away in the galaxy, would have lost a son or a brother in those moments.

"They might not make it to orbit," Chip observed. "Its engines are badly damaged. Its power supplies are out of control." He gazed at Ella thoughtfully. "One more hit from the ion cannon would probably have brought it down."

The pale blue lights of the Star Destroyer's engines flared up. The entire ship rumbled and slowly gained altitude. An immense flash of electricity burst across the hangar's entrance on the ship's underside and caught a passing TIE in the discharge. The fighter spun out of control, a blue cage of lightning engulfing it as it fell like a stone and vanished with a 'crump' beyond the palace walls.

"They're evacuating all non-essential personnel," Chip said, tapping his headpiece. "They've–"

Chip froze, his eyes looking back into the hangar bay. Ella turned.

At least a dozen stormtroopers had them covered.

Behind them, slowly descending a stair, came Mahon.

He gestured toward her.

"Bring her to me," he said.

========

As always - if you have enjoyed this chapter, and aren't in a state of shock, then please sure to vote for it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 114 42
You're a Star Wars fan on this planet. Until one day Imperial ships drop out of Hyperspace to claim the Earth for the Empire. You find out you're at...
30.8K 945 46
28/43 Chapters revised ~ 1/12/2020 (It's a painful process) Rhea Olesa, a young woman who dreamed of seeing the galaxy and flying her own starship...
8.2K 264 179
M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶R̶a̶m̶s̶e̶y̶.̶ No. M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶. Never has been. My name is Luna. I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶E̶c...
52.7K 1.8K 94
"When I offer you my hand again, you'll take it." What if Kylo Ren had been right? What if Rey had taken Kylo Ren's hand when he offered it the seco...