Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

Por tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... Más

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.

47 4 1
Por tomc100

"The Emperor is dead," Darth Vader told her. "An Assayer betrayed and murdered him. Titus Perdition and his acolytes must be hunted down and destroyed. Together, we will do it."

"My Lord, I went to the Cirdym system as you commanded. Assayer Perdition was waiting for me! I only barely escaped. My crew are dead and my ship lost . . ."

The pain from her wounds crippled Neerada suddenly. She fell face down, in total supplication to the holographic image of her tutor and lord.

Vader said nothing.

Angry and embarrassed at demonstrating such weakness, she glanced up at the impassive figure, expecting a reprimand, seeking with the force to probe his feelings.

But as before, there was nothing.

"Go to the Taneeth system. Wait for me on the installation there," Vader commanded her. "I will meet you in the Executor when I can."

"The Executor, my Lord? I have heard that it was lost."

Vader simply stared.

"The Taneeth system. Don't fail me, Assayer."

The transmission ended.

Assayer Neerada gasped the question she had been dying to ask but had been too afraid to: "Are you alive, my Lord? What happened over Endor?"

She cried from the agony of her injuries. She needed air. The helm had become stifling.

She unfastened it and let it drop to the floor of her cabin. When she touched her wounds, she found she was bleeding anew.

"Captain Pina," she growled into her commlink. "Attend me."

She thought back to Commander Falaise of the ISB. She had trusted him for years, never deigning to delete his memory. And it had seemingly worked. He had never betrayed her.

Could Pina be trusted too?

Neerada searched her feelings about the man. She realised at once that her experience of sentient beings had been forged amongst the very extremes of their lives: when they were fighting, or dying, or lying severely injured next to dead comrades. When they were pleading for mercy, sometimes from her. From one war zone to the next, her life had been a constant stream of hunts, executions, and strife.

Was this life? Was the feeling of fear and agony and hatred that the insects all experienced so often the natural state of their existence? Was it destined to be hers too?

"The girl," she mumbled. "When she wakes, I will know how different it might have been."

She heard the door to her suite open and heard Pina's voice. Then she heard urgent words in his tone, though she could not understand the words themselves.

He was beside her, gently turning her face toward his own.

No one had seen her face knowingly for years. She had no idea how he perceived her. For it was a face she would be hard put to recognise herself.

"Help me . . ." she gasped. "Help me."

She was aware of his arms around her as she was lifted onto the bed.

Could she trust Captain Pina?

As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.

=================

If you enjoyed this, then please vote for this chapter and leave a comment in the feedback section below.

Neerada is challenging her own beliefs of the Force and of the state of the galaxy in her moment of need. I especially like the way her own regard to the lives of other sentient beings, 'the insects' as she refers to them, has been forged almost elusively in moments of war and strife. Able to perceive their emotions, her experience of other beings for all her adult life has been of distress, hate and fear. She has rarely in this time, if ever, experienced any compassion and certainly not love. In effect, her power in the Force has been used to turn her into this being, by limiting her exposure to entirely negative experiences to the extent that she regards it as the norm of the insects. If this is all she is exposed to, is it any wonder she is this way?

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

246K 6K 41
The Galactic Republic is in grave danger. Since the dramatic death of the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, the Senate believed the Republic was in no ha...
967K 28.2K 106
| The Wattys 2022 Shortlist | 𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒐𝒆𝒔 𝒅𝒊𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒅? Taken from an early age from her family in Scarif in the Outer...
111K 3.5K 115
Those loyal to the RESISTANCE are scattered and few. The FIRST ORDER grows stronger. GENERAL LEIA ORGANA and a small group of RESISTANCE FIGHTERS hav...
1.7K 114 42
You're a Star Wars fan on this planet. Until one day Imperial ships drop out of Hyperspace to claim the Earth for the Empire. You find out you're at...