Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.

68 6 1
By tomc100

Ella rammed her feet into the bike's pedals and stood, whooping for the sheer thrill as she heaved back on the throttle. The speeder veered upward, the view before her of purple forests and blue water giving way to the clear blue sky, filled with the slow moving shapes of the rising hydrobloats.

She howled with wild laughter, the rush of the wind drowning out all sound save the low revs of the bike's engine that pulsed upward through her limbs.

Her eyes, protected by her goggles, scanned the sky and sought for the biggest of the hydrobloats. There! The largest floated a thousand feet above her and a half mile off to her right. She recognised him not just by his immense length, in excess of nine hundred metres, but by the long strands of algae that fell from his back, the last year's crop.

"Old Moss! I'm going to tickle your beard!"

She sped toward the giant herbivore, her stomach pitching and twisting as she ascended at a near vertical rate, the bike protesting as she pushed it beyond the limits of its design.

A shudder ran through its length. The engine spluttered.

Ella giggled at the danger. She crouched on the bike, leaned forward, and rammed her heels into the pedals. This was freedom!

The speeder jolted forward. Old Moss filled her vision. She levelled the bike off, felt it drop, and angled the nose higher. These bikes weren't meant for flying so high up: keeping them level would only lose height at such altitude.

Still, she was closing on Old Moss now. A low groan that echoed from the nearest of the animals, so low that Ella felt it rather than heard it, told her that the herd had taken note of her presence.

She felt the eyes of the hydrobloats fall on her. Suddenly, without warning, Old Moss let out a great groan that Ella recognised as a warning to the herd members. With a swish of their tails, and a great gulp of air to redistribute the stores of hydrogen gas in their numerous bladders, the herd angled up and gained height faster than before.

Her bike cut along below the bull of the herd. The hydrobloats were use to humans on their numerous vehicles. They even allowed the wardens to harvest the algae off their backs when it became too heavy for them to float upward.

No. If it wasn't her that they were afraid of, then that must mean it was something else.

She looked to her left and then her right. The sudden boom of alarm that Old Moss emitted from deep inside his immense lungs was answered by the heard. Dozens of them responded with higher pitched bellows.

Was there a warden nearby, spooking them? Or was it–

Ella jerked her bike sharply to the right without thought.

As she tilted dangerously a winged shape sped past her left side with a shriek. Ella caught a glimpse of a bright blue thorax and a bulging yellow abdomen as the winged creature sailed by, a talon outstretched to grab her only missing her by a hand's width.

If she hadn't moved!

The young woman felt panic rise inside of her. The thought of her being carried off the saddle of her bike into free fall, held in the talons of a skarn, knocked her confidence.

But that's what had unnerved the herd. A skarn. Possibly a whole swarm of them, perhaps numbering in the hundreds.

What a time for her sensors to be offline! That was something she'd one day repay the Empire for.

She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon and checked they were fully charged. Then she turned back to her right and dived in pursuit of the skarn that had so nearly unseated her.

Ella was angry. And when she got angry, other things tended to get damaged.

And she enjoyed it.

She sighted the skarn manually between the twin sights of the bike's cannon. Having no sensor aid to aim, it would be a challenge to hit the creature with such a weapon.

Still, it was a challenge she relished. The four narrow wings of the skarn fell in between the sights. The creature turned its head back toward her and let out a cry that sounded like mocking laughter from inside a hollow helm. It drew its legs up to its abdomen and Ella knew it was planning to dive again.

She predicted the movement, grinned, and fired.

=================

What did you think of this chapter? If you like it then please don't forget to vote for it and leave a comment in the feedback area.

And with this chapter we get the chance to meet Ella! Impetuous, risk-loving, and always trying to annoy her teachers, she is a direct opposite to the more sober Tayre. Setting the introduction amid an 'action scene' gets us to test and witness their virtues more quickly - it forces them to act and we get to see and experience them in a rawer fashion.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 114 42
You're a Star Wars fan on this planet. Until one day Imperial ships drop out of Hyperspace to claim the Earth for the Empire. You find out you're at...
18.9K 869 79
Enemies at first, allies by choice. Together they defy their fates. The Sith fell. The Resistance won. The galaxy is on the brink of chaos, as a new...
186 24 8
"It is just you and I," his voice is soothing, far more gentle than the wicked words of our past. "I love you beyond the darkest reaches of the galax...
1.9K 263 34
|| SEQUEL TO THE 2021 WATTYS WINNER, Star Wars: The Great Awakening. || The battle may be over, but the war is just beginning. In the aftermath of t...