Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.

80 7 1
By tomc100

The Lady Jish pitched forward, collapsing to her knees in a shriek of hatred. The wookie infant in her arms began to cry.

And the chant of "Freedom!" from the refugees died.

To be replaced by the chant of "Death!"

The thousands of refugees hastened forward. Clubs and sharp poles appeared in their hands. Pina even thought he saw the shape of a blaster in one or two as well.

"Call in a lander," he instructed the technician. "Prepare to evacuate out."

"Belay that order!" Karion shouted. "We are not running Captain Pina." He motioned to the technician. "Call in the TIEs. Then we will see how bold they are."

"Lady Jish. King Garrand, you must leave," Pina urged, pointing to the waiting speeders. "This is not your battle."

He touched Jish's shoulder and received an enraged look.

"Damn you!" she shouted into his face. "Damn you all!"

Queen Myr took her and dragged her toward the speeder. Only Mazier remained.

"Sir!" the technician's voice was worried. "We're being jammed. I cannot make any broadcasts."

The first blaster bolt raced from the second floor of the gatehouse and struck a stormtrooper in the right shoulder. He fell with a faint grunt and didn't move again.

"Return fire!" Karion yelled.

The nine remaining stormtroopers from the firing squad, now facing the surging refugees, aimed their blasters and opened up. Streams of red smashed into the foremost aliens. Dozens fell to the relentless fire. Yet still they came on.

Karion ordered the remaining stormtroopers to form up in two lines. He pointed into the ranks of the enemy.

And died.

A single bolt, fired from behind, passed between his shoulder blades and out through his front. Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward. The admiral's corpse fell face down into the earth.

Pina spun.

Governor Mazier faced him, a small blaster in his right hand. The technician reached for his own weapon, but Mazier was quicker. A single shot took the trooper in the chest. He spun sideways with a cry, dead.

Then it was Pina's turn. He saw Mazier's eyes fall on him. He saw the blaster rise, and even as he pulled his own gun from his holster in a clumsy awkwardness he knew he wouldn't be quick enough.

"Wait!" he screamed.

A searing heat and red flash blinded him as a blaster bolt passed over his left shoulder, a hand's width away from his cheek. Mazier was not so lucky. The bolt hit him full in the face with enough force that his head disintegrated in an instant. The Governor's corpse staggered and fell, headless and lifeless, the blaster still in his hand. It discharged once into the ground as his nerves tensed the trigger.

Pina was aware of three stormtroopers around him. He didn't know which one had saved his life, but he didn't have time to find out.

With both Karion and the technician dead, they were vulnerable.

And he was now in command, blind in his left eye.

The refugees came on. Thousands strong. Blaster bolts went both ways now. Stormtroopers fell with alarming frequency. And when an enemy fell, always there were more behind, to take up his blaster and continue the fight.

Captain Pina felt afraid. He drew his own blaster and took a deep breath.

=================

If you enjoyed this latest instalment, then please vote for this chapter and leave a comment in the feedback section below.

Captain Pina now finds himself forced into conflict not of his intent or design, and in a very dangerous situation too. The question is, even if you are a good man, when you are forced to fight for your life, how ruthless will you have to be?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130K 4.1K 36
Anakin Skywalker will not become Darth Vader. Not yet, anyway. Padmé saved him from a lifetime of regret by pulling him out of the fateful battle bet...
18.9K 869 79
Enemies at first, allies by choice. Together they defy their fates. The Sith fell. The Resistance won. The galaxy is on the brink of chaos, as a new...
22K 651 23
One year after the events of The Last Jedi, the Resistance is almost extinct. Only a dozen Resistance fighters are left. They hide on a small planet...
10.2K 364 35
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." But closer to home than you think. What if Star Wars was real? Pilar has been thrown from our galaxy i...