Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"

140 7 19
By tomc100

"That's obscene!" King Garrand yelled. "There's no justification for this at all!" He stepped forward and took Pina by the arm. "These are citizens of the Empire too. By the Void, you can't–"

"The Empire has no citizens, King Garrand," Karion said menacingly. "It has only subjects. Now, if you do not unhand my officer I will have you arrested for assaulting one of the Emperor's representatives. You know what that will mean for you."

Pina was suddenly aware that two stormtroopers had advanced to his side, their heavy blasters aimed at the King.

Queen Myr's hand took her husband gently by the shoulder and the rage in him died. He took a breath and backed away.

"You have no authority to arrest me on my homeworld," he replied. "Even us ex-members of the Senate have some power left to us and as one of the Elder Houses I–"

"Power?" Karion repeated with amusement. "Very soon, King Garrand, you and all your like will perceive what that word actually means. In a few short hours, the Emperor's grand design will be unveiled to the galaxy."

"What have you done Admiral?" the old ruler asked.

"A second Death Star," Karion answered. "Already operational."

Pina couldn't hide his shock. He was aware of Queen Myr's gasp and the younger lady's dismay. He somehow perceived the physical pain the words caused the old king.

"Is that true?" Pina muttered unthinkingly. "A second one?"

Karion gave him a look of near disdain and he realised he had spoken inappropriately.

"Indeed it is, Captain Pina. No doubt many of you have heard rumours of a secret Imperial project. This is it. When the rebel fleet is destroyed over Endor, its existence will be broadcast across the Empire. And this time, there will no alliance left to oppose us. We will have stability. We will have peace."

Silence fell. Pina saw the devastation on the faces of the dignitaries. Even Governor Mazier was in shock.

"Now that you perceive the new reality, you have no choice but to comply," Karion continued. "The refugees must be taught to obey. To respect our laws. To serve as an example for others who contemplate insurrection. Now Captain Pina, please carry out that order. Ten thousand, if you please."

Pina couldn't move. His mind and soul and heart were locked in a battle of doubt. He couldn't obey such an order.

"Are you unwilling to obey my orders, Captain Pina?"

Karion spoke quietly, and Pina found that more threatening than any outburst.

"N-no sir. I just . . . if we have a second Death Star that is as capable as the first, then it seems to me that ten thousand executions on Farsalt demeans our power." He saw Karion's curiosity grow. "It might appear vindictive, sir. Such a paltry sum in comparison to what we can really do–"

"Nonetheless Captain, it is a demonstration of our will, not our capability. Proceed, if you please."

Pina nodded. He didn't know why, but he knew it was an unconscious decision to allow him time to think. To find a way of preventing such a crime.

"Admiral Karion!"

The young lady stepped forward. Pina felt her presence in a strange way, in a manner that he had never felt before. Her face was determined. She stared into Karion's artificial eyes with an intensity that forced the admiral to turn his head away. Pina had never known him to do that.

"You know that there is a rebel cell operating here, in the camps," the young lady continued, the spirit of her words somehow more potent than the detail. "As do I. As do we all. If I can persuade the leader of this group to give themselves up, will their head do for your bloody lust?"

Pina felt she had given an opportunity.

"If he is of sufficient rank, then that would be most interesting," he said, getting his words in before Karion could speak. "I shall deploy the Sentient Fences as a precaution. They shall start on their selection," he looked at the woman, "just in case you can't deliver your rebel. I shall start with a mere five hundred, as a reminder."

Pina signalled the Imperial Technician who stood at a respectful distance.

"Have the Sentient Fences prioritise the old and the sick." He felt Karion's attention on him. "If we have to execute ten thousand of them, then I shall show them the mercy of picking the infirm."

Karion remained curiously silent. The woman's attention had not deviated from the admiral for a single moment.

It was odd. Pina had suspected that Karion might disapprove of his orders.

"Proceed," he commanded the technician.

From the Imperial landers the Sentient Fences slid out into the open air. Boosters slowed their descent and they spread out, each one forming a long line a kilometre in length and fifty metres in height. As they slowly fell toward the ground above the camp, flashing shield radiation turned the sky into a million tiny brilliant rainbows. In his training at the academy, Pina had been on the receiving end of these droid shield walls. It was impossible for any humanoid being to pass through the shields and avoid being corralled like dumb beasts. Four of them would link up and form a square over a wide area and descend to surface level. At first the shields would be weak enough so that individuals might pass through them, until, once the required number had been met, they would gain strength. Then, as Pina recalled, no amount of physical effort could make a breach.

The Sentient Fences reached the ground. From the camp, desperate cries echoed over the tree tops to reach Pina's pained ears.

"Well. Can you find the rebel leader for the Admiral?" Pina asked the young lady.

For the first time, her attention turned fully to him. Her cool eyes regarded him for a long and uncomfortable moment.

"We will have to go into the camp together," she said. "You will come with me."

Pina nodded. He found he wanted the excuse to spend time with her.

"Indeed. Admiral, I will go into the camp with her. She might need protection."

"Very good, Captain," Karion said quietly. The admiral said nothing more and marched briskly away.

"Shall we go, Captain Pina?" she asked.

"Yes. But first I will leave this behind."

He undid his blaster belt and handed it to the nearest stormtrooper. The young lady watched him with puzzled interest.

"I am under your protection," he told her. "A single sidearm will not do much to keep me safe from millions of refugees who hate any who wear the Imperial uniform."

Her puzzlement didn't diminish.

"I had not expected such from an Imperial captain."

"No. But there is something I must know. Your name? You were not in the records I reviewed when we approached Farsalt. I would have remembered."

If he had expected warmth, he didn't receive it. Her face remained impassive and unreadable.

"I am the Lady Jish, handmaiden to Queen Myr. But I should warn you Captain, it isn't pleasant inside the camp. Now, shall we proceed?"

=================

If you enjoyed this chapter, then please vote for it and  comment in the feedback section below.

Well, Captain Pina has tried to temper the extreme orders of Admiral Karion by picking the weak and infirm, but is that really a moral action? Surely these beings would be worthy of more protection, not less? This chapter also shows off one of my proudest lines in this story: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!" That sum ups the true nature of Imperial rule over this galaxy in an accurate way: citizens would have rights, but subjects don't. The people have finally been traduced to mere chattel for the Emperor and his inner circle, a fact that is beyond debate now that the existence of a second functional Death Star is known. And when evil becomes so entrenched and so powerful, how can you resist?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

111K 3.5K 115
Those loyal to the RESISTANCE are scattered and few. The FIRST ORDER grows stronger. GENERAL LEIA ORGANA and a small group of RESISTANCE FIGHTERS hav...
246K 6K 41
The Galactic Republic is in grave danger. Since the dramatic death of the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, the Senate believed the Republic was in no ha...
73.4K 3.2K 45
HIGHEST RANKING - #1 in Amidala (8/6/2018) In an alternate universe, Anakin Skywalker grew up as Darth Vader, minus all the cyborg parts. The Empire...
10.2K 364 35
"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." But closer to home than you think. What if Star Wars was real? Pilar has been thrown from our galaxy i...