Star Wars: Heir to the Sith (...

By tomc100

Shortlisted for the #Wattys2018. In the final hours of Emperor Palpatine's reign, newly promoted Captain Pin... More

Prologue: The Sanctuary Command.
Chapter 2: "They represent an idea. An alternative to the Emperor's rule."
Chapter 3: "Today our Empire will prove itself utterly triumphant."
Chapter 4: "The Empire has no citizens. It only has subjects!"
Chapter 5: "Why do you hate the Empire so much, Lady Jish?"
Chapter 6: "So this is the day we have spoken of?"
Chapter 7: "This is the price of Imperial stability."
Chapter 8: "You have other duties to fulfil, Lady Jish."
Chapter 9: "Death to the Empire!"
Chapter 10: Pina heard the spine break and saw the ribs explode outward.
Chapter 11: For the first time, he knew what it was to fight to survive.
Chapter 12: It was the hesitation Pina needed. He squeezed the trigger.
Chapter 13: It exploded in a blistering inferno.
Chapter 14: "That all depends on you, Captain. No one else."
Chapter 15: "It's out of control! It's not slowing down."
Chapter 16: The Interceptor's wings were red hot now. Sparks started to fly.
Chapter 17: "It is evident to me the pilot is either dead or unconscious."
Chapter 18: He felt immobile, frozen, unable to think clearly.
Chapter 19: "The galaxy is in flux, Captain Pina. The old order is broken."
Chapter 20: There was a predator on the loose.
Chapter 21: She unlocked the safety on her bike's herding cannon.
Chapter 22: "This is crazy. But it's all we've got!"
Chapter 23: "You'll kill us both!"
Chapter 24: "Oh dear . . . this will be interesting . . ."
Chapter 25: She would become a murderer so that others could live free.
Chapter 26: After the anger comes the calm.
Chapter 27: Only a few more seconds remained before she was in range.
Chapter 28: One man was thrown from the back, his limbs on fire.
Chapter 29: By the time she landed, she was beyond any conscious feeling.
Chapter 30: The fire continued, kicking up super-heated earth, playing with her.
Chapter 31: "You won't feel a thing, Princess."
Chapter 32: "It will be horrendous for her. And it will be because of you."
Chapter 33: "A show of strength in a time of chaos."
Chapter 34: The galaxy had condemned her to a hideous death.
Chapter 35: "I would hope so, Captain. For your sake."
Chapter 36: "You hurt me. So I shall hurt you."
Chapter 37: Titus Perdition.
Chapter 38: A new power in the galaxy, not like Vader, yet similar somehow.
Chapter 39: As she passed out, she knew she had no choice.
Chapter 40: "Just remember: I'll do all I can to help you."
Chapter 41: "Me? My name is Lance Dare."
Chapter 42: "Take him over there, against that tree. Shoot him."
Chapter 43: "You are completely expendable!"
Chapter 44: "Democracy: the flaws of many pollute the brilliance of the few."
Chapter 45: "Please don't let them take me!"
Chapter 46: "May the Force be with you."
Chapter 47: The stormtrooper kicked his blaster away.
Chapter 48: "Strive."
Chapter 49: "A final amusement before I depart!"
Chapter 50: "We shall suffer no more pretenders."
Chapter 51: "One of you will die today."
Chapter 52: The red of his lightsaber was extinguished.
Chapter 53: The whole galaxy was quiet.
Chapter 54: "Always good to have a wookie on your side!"
Chapter 55: "I don't think you have to get quite so close to the ground . . ."
Chapter 56: The Empire continued to exact a dreadful revenge.
Chapter 57: "The promise I ask of you. Will you make it?"
A forward by the author
Cast of characters

Chapter 1: "Endor? I've never heard of it."

343 15 15
By tomc100

From the bridge of the Star Destroyer, the planet Farsalt appeared so vulnerable. The light of its yellow sun refracted through its atmosphere, offering a startling view of oceans and forested continents. Two bald ice caps, one on each pole, sparkled in brilliant contrast to the void behind. Above the planet, two of its three small moons were visible.

To Captain Pina, the view provoked mixed feelings. He hadn't been planetside for some weeks, but he wasn't looking forward to it either. Not with the orders they had been given. And certainly not under the attention of Admiral Karion. 

"Is the landing team prepared?" the admiral said, not deigning to face him.

"Yes Admiral. With the TIE fighter escort you requested."

"And stormtroopers?"

"Two hundred of them are waiting to embark in three Sentinel landing craft. I have also included the Sentient Fences. They might be useful to control the camps should Governor Mazier be unable to cope."

The admiral's frame seemed to shudder in a display of contempt.

"It is because of men like Mazier that the rebellion is gaining ground," he muttered. "It will be interesting to know what the security bureau's agents have discovered about his doings on Farsalt, now their investigation is complete. Ah, Pina, where are the likes of Tarkin? Men like that, who brought order to the collapsing Republic, are what we need."

The admiral signed out of the custom command console he had ordered placed just below the view ports of the bridge and then turned to face him.

Captain Pina forced himself to look him in the eyes. It was something he had to muster his nerve to carry out convincingly.

The admiral's face was entirely scarred. Not a single hair was visible on his scalp. Where once he had stared with human eyes, he now gazed through optic prosthetics of pure black. The man was a stark reminder of what exposure to the vacuum of deep space could do to you, if only for a very short time.

Pina felt his stare, but kept his nerve and stared back.

"Are you such a man, Captain Pina?"

"I intend to be, sir. But . . . men like Tarkin . . . and Alderaan."

The admiral opened his mouth in a sneer. Where his gums should have been were simple steel braces, with his teeth filed down to needle points.

"It was a necessary evil, Captain. That planet had become the centre of unrest in the galaxy. Destroying it was an amputation of a diseased limb. Its destruction saved trillions of lives. It would have saved many more had Tarkin not perished at Yavin." He turned once more to the planet before them. "Within a few days from now, the rebellion will be over. The Emperor and Lord Vader have seen to that. And then no system in the galaxy will dare oppose us."

Pina heard quick footsteps approach from behind. He felt the frisson of excitement on his second-in-command, commander Bauhaus.

"Admiral Karion, Captain Pina. We have received a signal from Executor. The rebel fleet has been brought to battle."

Pina's fist clenched in excitement.

"At Sullust?"he asked.

"No sir. It's a place called Endor."

"Endor? I've never heard of it."

Admiral Karion stepped away from the viewing port and stared over the animated faces of the bridge crew. Pina saw how the excitement had spread into the pits below the walkway.

"You will Captain Pina." The admiral said. "Within a few short hours, the name of Endor will be famous from the Core to the Unknown Regions. As a great man once said, 'this will be a day long remembered.'"

The commander smiled. Even to Pina, he looked ludicrously young. He wondered if that was how he seemed in the admiral's artificial stare.

"Are we to join them Admiral?" The executive officer garbled. "I have already given the orders to compute the fastest jump trajectory–"

"Terminate that order, Commander Bauhaus," the admiral commanded. "We will not be joining the fleet."

The atmosphere on the bridge died. For a time, no one made a sound. Admiral Karion remained stationary on the walkway, his silent resolution drawing every gaze.

"We will observe all procedures whilst in orbit," he said. "Our guns will be manned. Our sensors watched. We are still on a war footing. I will not tolerate the slightest deviation from my orders. Do you all understand?"

Pina saw heads nod in the pits.

"Commander Bauhaus, you will do me the honour of holding the bridge whilst Captain Pina and I are planetside. Do not disappoint me. The Reaver is a fine vessel."

"Yes sir. And I shall keep you informed of any news from Endor–"

"No. You will not." Admiral Karion pinned him with his unblinking black gaze. "The Emperor planned all this. The rebel scum have jumped into a trap. Their destruction is already guaranteed. Now Captain Pina, let us go and enforce Imperial discipline as an example to this Governor Mazier. It will be your first experience of being blooded, Captain."

=================

If you enjoyed this instalment, then please vote for this chapter and please leave a comment in the feedback section below. And if you want to make sure you don't miss an update then please add Heir to the Sith to your reading list.

Of course, as readers, the vast majority of us know what will happen at Endor. We know the uncertainty that will be created when the rebellion destroys the Death Star. But how do you think that will alter your perception of the characters' in the coming chapters? It's an interesting tool, to give the reader better insight into the wider world than the characters, for them to know something the characters only suspect or can't be sure of, and it allows us to examine their motivations from a privileged perspective. In a story about the Second World War, for example, readers would know the outcome of Operation Barbarossa and Overlord, yet the characters they are reading about wouldn't. Do you think this helps build empathy with their situation as it allows you to predict what is to come, and perhaps forecast how they might act? I believe it does, and I would be interested to hear your thoughts too. Thanks. Tom.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 114 42
You're a Star Wars fan on this planet. Until one day Imperial ships drop out of Hyperspace to claim the Earth for the Empire. You find out you're at...
834 61 47
Assayer Neerada, having seized control of Star Destroyer Reaver, plans to go on the offensive against the Assayers Mahon and his master, Titus Perdit...
73.4K 3.2K 45
HIGHEST RANKING - #1 in Amidala (8/6/2018) In an alternate universe, Anakin Skywalker grew up as Darth Vader, minus all the cyborg parts. The Empire...
8.2K 264 179
M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶R̶a̶m̶s̶e̶y̶.̶ No. M̶y̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶L̶u̶n̶a̶ ̶S̶n̶o̶w̶. Never has been. My name is Luna. I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶E̶c...