Finding Him

By LeeleeKez

(Highest ranking #1 in historical fiction) For one simple and frustrating reason, Hadassah is unable to inher... More

Prologue
1l Finding Destiny
2l Dasa
3l Grace
4l Valet
5l Meeting The Master
6l Sooner Than Later
7l Blindness
8l Disinheriting
9l Convenience
10l Desire
11l Shackled
12l Seeking Your Hand
13l Journeying Together
14l Switching To Coach
15l Selfishly Demanding Love
16l Taking Away Chances
17l Being Right
18l Imagining
20l Being Handy
21l Love
22l Secrets
23l Find
24l Gone
25l Marriage
26l A Surprise Guest
27l Stench
28l The Vow
29l Fire
30l Drowning
31l Living Again
32l Pleasure
33l Flames
34l Finding Him
35l Eighteen
36l The Luckiest Man
37l Bastard
38l The Kiss
39l Bedding
40l Alone
41l Italy
42l Deep Blue Sea
43l The Estate
44l Light
45l Victim
46l Marry Me
47l Missing
48l BlindFold
49l Kiss Me
50l Remembering
51l Enough
52l Home
53l Are You Blind, My Lord
Epilogue
Excerpt

19l Dancing

11K 1K 35
By LeeleeKez

It took a few seconds for the implications of Daniel's instruction to settle into her and a few more minutes for her to grab her discarded garments from the floor and slip back into them, shame washing over her. She scolded herself for her actions, shamelessly throwing herself at a man like a harlot and it didn't matter that the man in question was her husband. He was only her husband in name and paper, a marriage borne out of convenience rather than love. She knew she couldn't ask him for more and had decided she wouldn't. Until, she was standing before him, his arm settled on her waist. It was then, she felt an unfamiliar wave of emotion, one that had reduced her into taking off her clothes.

“Put your clothes on and we shall never speak of this again.”

His words echoed in her ears, filling her with unspeakable sadness. They were words most likely spoken without the intention of hurting her, but they had done just that. They had shut a door in her face, sealing the fate of their marriage to forever be one of convenience.

“Would you like to continue with the dance lesson?” She choked out, fighting to rid the room of the awkward silence that hung between them. She especially hated for him to perceive the effect his words had on her or the fact that she had only a few minutes ago, anticipated the consummation of their marriage and he had turned her down.

His head snapped up at her question, confusion reflecting in his eyes. After a short while, he nodded, surprising her for she had secretly hoped he would decline her offer. She didn't look forward to being in his arms and desiring the consummation of their marriage.

He rose to his feet and she waited for him to walk over to where she stood by the armoire. He seemed to hesitate for a few seconds, before placing his hand around her waist, her heart skipping at the emotions his closeness created in her.

She stepped forward after a while and placed a hand on his shoulder, ignoring the sudden wave of emotion she felt as a result of that singular action.

“I would hate to bruise your foot. Do you have your shoes on?”

She shook her head, “No.”

He frowned slightly. “You should wear them. I will step on your toes for I'm unable to see where to put my foot.”

“Nobody dances with their eyes on the floor.” A smile settled on her face, helping to ease the tension in her veins. “You simply have to have a connection with your partner, anticipating their next move and following. You know,” She stepped forward, urging him with the slight tugging on his arm, to step back. It was obvious he missed her signal, for she bumped right into him before he stepped back. “My father taught me to dance.” She moved to the right and once again, it took a second for him to catch on.

They continued the motion for several more minutes, most of which Daniel did manage to step on her toes. He however left no bruises for it seemed to her that he anticipated stepping on them and managed to lighten his weight as he did so.

“We should stop.” He groaned, pulling away after stepping on her toes for the fifth time. She opened her mouth to protest but he was already kneeling before her and running his fingers across her toes, sending a shock wave of heat around her body. “Does it hurt?”

She shook her head numbly, fighting the desire to fall to her knees and kiss him. She knew he wouldn't be too pleased with her actions so she just shook her head.

“Does it?”

Remembering he couldn't see the movement of her head, “No, I'm fine.”

He didn't look like he believed her but he seemed willing to accept her answer.

Hadassah found herself anticipating their dance lessons every day. She found herself longing for his arms around her and enjoying his closeness even if that was all she was allowed to experience as his wife.

He insisted on having her wear shoes throughout their dance lessons and while he managed to always step on her foot, he was careful not to leave a bruise behind.

The day of the engagement neared and Daniel still hadn't gotten any better at dancing. He insisted he didn't see the point in continuing their lessons but Hadassah wasn't willing to give up dancing just yet for it was only when they danced she thought she could really see him. He always had a smile on his face and always had a stricken look cloud his face whenever he stepped on her foot. She thought the look on his face was a reflection of how much he cared for her even if she knew such thoughts would only eventually leave her hurt.

“Perhaps we could take our lessons outside.” She urged one afternoon, sensing his reluctance.

“The engagement is tomorrow evening, didn't you say so yourself? We have been practicing for a week, Dasa, and I have only managed to hurt your feet more times than I would like to admit to.” She blushed at his reference to her as Dasa, knowing she didn't really care what he called her, she just greatly enjoyed having him close.

“I'm not hurt.”

“But would you tell me if you were?” He rose a brow. “I am a poor student, incapable of learning.”

“Perhaps the lack of space in the room has restricted our movement.”

“Yet, we are to dance in a crowded room full of people. Forgive me, Dasa, but I would hate to not only step on nearly the entire room's foot as well, I would hate to damage your foot, or feet, as the case may be.”

Hadassah laughed then, pulling his arm until he was standing before her.

“You have an active imagination.” The smile on her face broadened.

“I have nothing left but my imaginations.”

“The weather outside is perfect.” She turned to the window in a bid to take her attention off of his lips.

“Very well.”

He took her hand and they made their way out of the building, the sweet smell of strawberry filling the building. Hadassah knew Leah was most likely baking something; Leah was always baking. She found that her dance lessons with Daniel took the majority of her time, cutting short time spent with Leah.

Hadassah noticed how easy it seemed for Daniel to navigate the building. They had lived in it for over two months and he seemed to have every part of it memorized.

Realizing he didn't need her help, she allowed him lead her out of the building instead.

It wasn't until they were making their way down the front porch, did she finally realize what the problem with teaching Daniel to dance, might be; she was leading and he wasn't a good follower. Perhaps if she let him lead...

The air outside was cool to the skin, a perfect weather for a picnic. Daniel came to a halt down the stairs of the front porch and rose a brow.

“Are you sure you would like to have the world see how terrible I am at dancing?” The breeze carried a strand of his hair, leaving it to fall to his forehead.

Instinctively, she leaned forward and brushed it back with her fingers. When she turned her eyes from his hair, she found their faces were only an inch apart. They were so close, it wouldn't have taken much to kiss him.

Knowing he didn't want any of that in their relationship, she leaned back and cleared her throat.

“I am sure I would like you to lead this time.”

“What?”

“Uh huh.” She placed her hands on his shoulders and waited until his hands were settled on her waist.

“I can't dance, Dasa.” He seemed to be pleading.

She placed a hand on his cheek and stared into his unseeing blue eyes. “You do not have to, Daniel, we'll dance together.”

A small frown settled on his face, one that created two stress lines on the edges of his brows, making him seem older than his twenty seven years.

For a while, she thought he was about to argue but when his hold on her waist tightened, she knew he was willing to trust her opinion.

Deciding she was willing to trust him as well, she released a soft breath. “Let's dance, Daniel.” She whispered softly, pulling her eyelids shut.

For the next one hour, Hadassah allowed herself to be swayed back and forth by Daniel. All the while, her eyes were closed as she experienced a small part of his world; darkness. 

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

I hope you're enjoying this story enough to leave a vote behind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

710K 27.8K 65
Sophia Bennett, a 23 year old woman, looking for a job which will pay her enough to use that money to pay off the debt she had taken for her sister's...
387K 32.2K 44
Bailey Robinson's orders were simple; get rid of the letter and get back to work. When Bailey begins a correspondence with a mysterious woman, the l...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...
896K 35.7K 22
As if being orphaned, broke and forced to answer an Ad for a mail order bride isn't bad enough. Lily finds out, much too late, that she must be a mot...