[OLD] The Phoenix Project (#3)

By auroraanorth

Dangerous new players are entering the battle between the Supers and their enemy, an organization seeking pow... More

COMING SOON
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
The Pyramid Chronicles REBOOT

Six

321 28 6
By auroraanorth

Ivy paced back and forth across the deck. The sun gradually slid below the horizon, leaving the sky darker with each second that passed. Every minute or so, another Super would finish training and head inside.

Ivy stopped by the railing. Waves crashed against the ship, their roar filling the air. The sound didn't bother Ivy as much as when she had first arrived, but the ocean still made her anxious.

"Have you seen Spencer?"

Ivy jumped at the sound of Victoria's voice. "Oh," she said. "Uh, not since we got back from Capricorn."

Victoria sighed and leaned against the railing. "I haven't heard anything from them about rescuing Claire."

Ivy tapped a finger against the cold metal, unsure what to say. "Yeah, hopefully they'll come up with something soon."

"You guys comin' in?"

Ivy and Victoria turned around as Summer approached them.

"Summer!" Victoria exclaimed, her tone more concerned than glad. "You shouldn't be walking around by yourself."

Summer dismissed Victoria's worry with a wave of her hand. "I'm fine. You guys should get some rest."

"I know," Ivy said. "I just hate waiting around while Claire's in danger."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep," Victoria added.

"Well, you're welcome to come train with me," Summer said.

"Train?" Ivy asked incredulously. "If anyone should be resting, it's you."

Victoria folded her arms. "Agreed."

"Hey, I've been resting for weeks. I slept all afternoon. I don't like waiting around, either."

Ivy sighed. "Fair enough, I guess. But I guess I'll at least try to sleep."

She stepped away from the railing and headed inside, leaving the other two behind. She was genuinely surprised by how much of a liking Victoria had taken to Summer. Despite not getting along with anyone on the ship when she'd arrived, helping Dr. Newman take care of Summer had seemed to soften her up a little.

It was good, Ivy supposed. The last thing they needed right now was more conflict.

Granted, she still couldn't bring herself to trust Tyler entirely...

Ivy reached her room and climbed into bed. Although fear and uncertainty hung over her, exhaustion caught up and pulled her into a deep sleep.

She drifted between strange, easily forgotten dreams until a sharp pain in her head yanked her awake. Ivy sat up and gasped in pain. Pressing a hand to her forehead, she tried to think. Dr. Newman was sure to have painkillers, but the thought of walking all the way to the lab made her want to cry.

Ivy?

Ivy couldn't believe what she was hearing. How was Claire reaching her mind? Wherever Claire was, it was nowhere near close enough for a telepathic connection...right?

Claire? Is that you? Ivy responded.

The pain in Ivy's head faded a moment before coming back at full force. Ivy winced, and found herself holding back tears.

Sorry! Claire thought. I'm not sure what's happening. I'm trying to—

Claire! Victoria's mind joined them.

Victoria? Ivy asked. What's going on?

~

Victoria grunted as her fist connected with the punching bag. Breathing hard, she took a step back. "How did I not know this place had a gym?"

"We really only use it for bad weather, which we haven't had lately. Besides, at this point it's too small to hold all the Supers." Summer took a sip from her water bottle.

Victoria walked over to the wall where her own bottle was waiting.

"So, you still planning on helping out in the medical wing?" Summer asked. "Or are you going to keep training?"

Victoria shrugged. She had no idea what she wanted anymore. She did have a genuine interest in the medical field, but simply helping out on the Fortuna wasn't going to get her very far.

Now that Summer was walking around and training again, Victoria found herself being pulled back in that direction. Victoria bit her lip, troubled by the thought. The idea of being swayed so easily by another person bothered her.

Even if that person was Summer.

"I guess I'll do both for now. I have no idea what I want to do long term. All I can think about right now is finding Claire. And I'm worried about our dad. He hasn't been answering his phone." Victoria's hand tightened around her water bottle. She'd meant to stop after the first sentence.

"There could be good reason your dad hasn't been answering," Summer said. "He's probably just laying low."

"I guess." Victoria sighed. After a long moment, she said, "Maybe I should stick to the medical wing. The others would probably prefer I didn't come along on their missions, anyway."

Summer's eyes widened. "What makes you say that?"

Victoria's gaze darted to the floor. "Oh, please. You know I'm a pain. I haven't exactly been the nicest person since I got here."

Footsteps came toward her. Victoria looked up as Summer approached.

"Okay, maybe you had a rough start," Summer said. "But we all understand why. It's okay."

Victoria shook her head. "I feel like I'm the only one complaining. The only one who's ready to leave and go home."

"Listen, for most of these kids, the Fortuna is their home. They have nowhere else to go. I can promise you if they had a home, they would all want to be there, too. No one's blaming you."

Tears stung at Victoria's eyes, but she pushed them back. "But even Claire is out there, fighting. She went on every mission when she was asked and I—" Victoria sighed and looked away. "I'm kind of a loner, here, in case you didn't notice. Claire's the one making friends."

"Funny, I thought the opposite was true back home."

Summer was right. Victoria had been the one with friends back home, while Claire hung back, alone. "Ha. Yeah," Victoria said. "I guess I just fit in better when I'm pretending to be normal."

"Victoria—"

Victoria cried out as a sharp pain erupted in her head. She slid to the ground, eyes shut, her hand pressed to her head.

"Victoria?" Summer knelt down next to her. "You okay?"

"My head," Victoria managed.

Victoria?

"Oh my god, it's Claire." Victoria opened her eyes and met Summer's gaze. "I can hear her in my head."

"Are you sure?"

Victoria nodded. Concentrating on her sister, she thought, Claire?

Victoria? Ivy's mind was connected to theirs. What's going on?

Claire, are you linking us telekinetically? Victoria asked. How? You're so far away!

'Sup guys. What's going on? Spencer had joined the connection. Victoria sensed a twinge of pain from Claire.

I can't add anyone else. And I won't be able to hold us for long, Claire said. I just wanted to let you guys know I'm okay.

Okay? Victoria questioned. You're a prisoner! What have they done to you? Experimented on you?

Victoria sensed hesitation before Claire responded. I'm fine. Yes, I'm a prisoner. But I don't want you guys getting captured trying to rescue me. I don't think they'll be doing anything with me anytime soon.

What? Why not? Victoria found herself focusing on Claire's mind, pressing for answers. The pain in her head sharpened, and Victoria pulled back. She grimaced. Sorry, I didn't—

It's okay. I'm fine. I'll contact you guys when I can.

The connection broke. Victoria gasped. The pain in her head faded.

"What happened?" Summer asked. "What did she say?"

Victoria explained what Claire had told her and the others. "I'm worried," Victoria said. "How on earth did she reach us from so far away? She's never done anything like that before. I felt like...something was wrong."

Summer frowned and stood up. She held out a hand, and Victoria let Summer help her to her feet.

"It seems like she was somehow able to amplify her powers," Summer said.

Victoria folded her arms. "We only seem to get more powerful when something bad happens."

"But she said she was okay?"

"For now." Victoria sighed. "Look, training's fine and all, but I really need something to occupy my mind."

"Hmm." Summer thought for a moment. "Well, I could show you how to fly the choppers."

Now that was a skill Victoria wouldn't mind having. Anything that could help her be useful, she supposed. She nodded, and Summer led her out to the deck.

"They're very user-friendly, thankfully," Summer said. "I figured it out pretty quick. Nothing like a little pressure to help you learn."

"Stealing a chopper from Scorpion as they were attacking the ship seems like more than 'a little pressure,'" Victoria pointed out.

Summer laughed. "Fair enough." She nodded at the pilot's seat, and Victoria sat down. "This touch screen is mostly for the map, and it will give you warnings when you're low on fuel or there's other problems." Summer leaned over and stuck a key into its spot next to the screen. "You driven a car before?"

"A couple times. My dad pretty much drove Claire and I everywhere, but we've taken driver's ed."

"Great. Start this thing up."

Victoria grabbed the key and turned it. The engine roared to life and the screen lit up. She glanced over at Summer and they shared a smile.

"Right," Summer said after a moment. "So this lever here controls how fast you lift off. Move it up, and the chopper moves up. Once you're clear of the ship, you can shift into jet mode with this button, and that steering wheel will become active." Summer continued to point at the various levers and buttons and she finished explaining the basics of flight. Victoria nodded along, hanging on to every detail.

~

Claire lost the connection and felt the others' minds disappear, leaving her alone in the dark. She held her hand up in front of her face. Despite the pitch black around her, she could see it clear as day.

"Hello?" she called. "Can anyone hear me?"

Deep down, she knew the truth. She could sense it. No one was around to hear her cries. She wasn't awake.

She was trapped in her own mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16K 1.3K 36
The battle in Washington, D.C. left Scorpion weak. But Ivy and the Supers have taken a blow as well. Summer, one of their best, is seriously injured...
11.7K 1K 40
When fugitive superhumans learn of a nefarious plot to create artificial life with unfathomable power, they must do everything in their power to stop...
32.1K 2.5K 42
The world has changed-forever. Still adjusting to their new lives, our heroes will have to uncover a dark conspiracy lurking in the shadows. ...
250 11 23
'My name is Cameron Strong. I am 16 and I work for the Secret Intelligence Agency'. S.I.A has recruited 5 teenagers with extraordinary abilities int...