Chasing Riddle

By Uniquent

:・゚TOM RIDDLE/OC FANFICTION :・゚ ❝ They were constantly circling each other engaged in a battle of wits, with... More

~ author's note ~
:・゚nott :・゚
:・゚malfoy :・゚
:・゚rosier :・゚
:・゚brown :・゚
:・゚bulstrode :・゚
:・゚slughorn :・゚
:・゚carrow :・゚
:・゚yaxley :・゚
:・゚shacklebolt :・゚
:・゚ rowle :・゚
:・゚ travers :・゚
:・゚fawley :・゚
:・゚crouch :・゚
:・゚selwyn :・゚
:・゚ abbott :・゚
:・゚ avery :・゚
:・゚gaunt :・゚

:・゚prewett :・゚

6.1K 198 96
By Uniquent

Harlow had always held a certain fascination for Tom Riddle, much to the horror of her adoptive parents. She didn't know what drew her to him but his change in person was exciting, and oftentimes terrifying.  What had changed, what had created that change in someone as perfect as him was something she would find out.

▽▽▽

Harlow grabbed the candle that was sitting on the table and watched as the flame flared up when she moved. Smiling mischievously she stepped outside of the family's manor and made her way across the dewy, dark lawn; a mass of rustling slick grass and overgrown weeds.  Dandelions tickled her knees as she picked her way across, finally reaching the door to the shed.  She reached out and slowly swung the door open, flinching as she did so.  As Harlow tiptoed across the wooden floors, dragging dust with her toes she reached for the small silver trinket that lay on the workbench.  

A book she had consulted in the home library had said to her that it was a time turner, however, it wasn't like the others.  It could go back years and years all within one spin.  It was powerful enough to change the world if you'd like, but it was a one use object.  She sat back and stared at it.  It had been a family heirloom, passed down amongst the generations, however, no one knew how to use it, or if they did, they weren't brave enough to do so.  She knew she shouldn't mess with it, as it belonged to her adoptive family but it drew her to it no matter what.  The power to create change...real change was thrumming within her heart.  As a girl of quiet words and dull life, a sudden turning of events seemed like the best thing that could happen to her.  A battle of the wits to change something she knew so well into something not as predictable.

With trembling fingers, Harlow turned the time turner over, jumping and dropping it as she realized that her nail had caught onto the edge and spun it around once.  Her liquid brown eyes widened as it spun around again on the floor, once, twice, three times.  And then she felt a sudden whooshing around her, a feeling like her brain was spun inside out before she was spat out somewhere, coughing on dust particles and who knew what.

Harlow breathed out unevenly as she felt the stone floor under her fingers,  disoriented and scared for her life.  Everything that had felt solid for her was suddenly yanked out from her grasp, the reminder that when change did come it came fast and hardly without warning.  As she straightened up and dusted off her clothes she found herself in a very familiar place.  The hallways of Hogwarts.   The painting across from her, a picture of two women in period era dresses turned to look at her, giving a disgruntled snort as they took in her confused face.

"Shut up." She grumbled, heading down the corridor and grabbing the time turner as she went. Her mind was spinning but Harlow stopped herself from thinking of her past life, because like it or not she was stuck here. She hung the fine chain of the time turner around her neck, tucking the chain underneath the t-shirt she wore and letting herself give a mighty sigh before straightening up, back into the unruffled figure she normally was.

Harlow stared unsteadily at the knocker of the headmaster's office, not sure how exactly to knock when she heard footsteps behind her and the telltale gentle swish of robes that signified Dumbledore's arrival.  She turned, ready to split her face in a grin at someone so familiar before she startled.  The Dumbledore she saw now had a vivid red beard and an almost wrinkle-free face. Harlow realized that her mouth was open before she shut it with an audible sounding flop. How long had she travelled back in time? Dumbledore was practically ancient so seeing him here so young...

"Prof-Professor Dumbledore?" She stuttered out.

"What is a student doing here before the term even starts?" He furrowed his brow and Harlow had to stop herself from laughing at the outlandish situation.

"I...Um..." Without much to say she held up the time turner.  She could trust in Dumbledore, right?

"Where are you from?" His tone was neutral but she could see the thoughts drifting around behind his eyes.

"I...Where am I now?" 

"1942."

"1942?!" Harlow screeched, falling to the floor with a mighty thud.

Dumbledore merely looked on, removed from the situation and looking over her state with his electric blue eyes.

"What year do you come from?" He reiterated to her shocked face.

"1979." She replied.

He nodded serenely. 

You wouldn't be so calm if you knew what happened to Tom. Harlow thought to herself.   Her thoughts churned as she remembered what her parents had recounted to her from this year.  Most likely, Tom was still a student and planning to take over the wizarding world.  She was in a time where the Dark Lord was still a teenager, the most dangerous time yet.

But she could stop him, right?

"Sorry, could I get your name?" Dumbledore's face swam back into view as Harlow shook off her thoughts.

"Yeah...I'm Harlow.  Harlow Macmillan, and my adoptive surname is Prewett." Both pure-blood families, she saw the recognition dawn on his face.

"Well, Harlow...I don't know if you'll be able to make it back to your time." His voice was grave as Harlow looked on unflinchingly.  That fact she would have to get used to but she hadn't lost much.  There was nothing within the period of time that she was living in that had held much importance to her.  The Prewetts had adopted her out of necessity and her parents were already dead.  She had no good friends at Hogwarts and her boyfriend was lacking, to say the least.  Harlow would look back it with a certain remembrance but she wouldn't miss it.

"Then, I suppose you better go to your common room.  I'll send a word to the head of house to take you in and I'll be writing a letter to Headmaster Dippet about a new student.    I suppose you wouldn't be too eager to tell your new found friends about your situation, I take?" He adjusted his half-moon spectacles thoughtfully as he stared down at her.

"Of course not, Professor.  And I hope you can find a solution to my problem here?"  As much as she didn't mind staying in the past she didn't want to experience the rise of the Dark Lord just yet.  

"I won't.  I'm guessing you're a Slytherin?"

"Ravenclaw, actually.  But it was a toss-up, professor, between Slytherin and Ravenclaw.  I'll be happy to go anywhere you want me to.  Actually, I'll be happy to be in Slytherin." A sly smile made it's way across her face.  Being in Slytherin meant she would see Riddle, and that also meant possibly changing the course of the future.  She'd sacrifice house pride and take it.

Dumbledore nodded "Then, you shall go there.  Please have a good day and come to my room whenever you need any help.  I'll update you if I find a solution." Dumbledore gave her a warm smile, one that she was used to before sweeping off down the corridor.

Harlow stared after his receding back, a small smirk starting to spread across her face. 

She was going to change the future.  

And hell, she was going to do a good job of it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

432K 7.3K 43
Tom Riddle, was feared by all of the students and even the professors. He was alone most of the time and his heart was as cold as ice. But will his h...
20.6K 810 15
Ambitious and cunning, Tom Riddle falls in love with Harriet Potter during his Hogwarts days only to watch her slip through his fingers. When her wor...
4.5K 182 13
Young Tom Riddle is in his second year when he meets first year Miss Slughorn. At first, Riddle and the daughter of Horace Slughorn hate each other...
75 4 5
Tom Riddle Fanfic: the Wizarding World 1949 Pre-noseless Riddle x Mc Aurelie Black, born with an unexplainable curse, enters her sixth year at Hogw...