Compositions of Us

By affiniteas

Olivia Harris has one dream: to become a professional photographer. She’s determined and even went out of he... More

01 · The Life Changing Event
02 · The First Impression
03 · The Domino Effect
04 · The Irony of a Trade Off
05 · The Lifelines Walk the Tight Rope
06 · The Key to Confidence
07 · The Unspoken Side
08 · The Tears of the Nurse
09 · The (Not So) Secret Admirer
10 · The Green-Eyed Mystery
11 · The Bus Route Disclosure
12 · The Ideal and The Unexpected
13 · The Way To Mend A Broken Heart?
14 · The Introduction of the Explanation
15 · The Couple Uprising
16 · The Effect of Pain Relievers
17 · The Grand Reveal
18 · The Waltz of the Runaway
19 · The Aftertaste of Donuts
20 · The Defense Mechanisms
21 · The Innovation of What's and Why's
23 · The Moonlight Masquerade
24 · The Tangled Confrontations
25 · The Unexpected Gift
26 · The Swing to Memory Lane
27 · The Symphony of Confessions
28 · The Brave or the Cautious?
29 · The Heart on His Sleeve
M E S S A G E + (informal) R E C A P
30 · The Merry-Go-Round of Interactions

22 · The Snapshots of Spring

44.9K 1.7K 452
By affiniteas

© an affiniteas 2013-2014 ink on Wattpad

22 · The Snapshots of Spring

If I had pulled out that one photograph of mine from the school's charity auction last December, Drew Larkin's surprise appearance in Callaway Village would have been nonexistent. 

It was a careless decision because I actually did invite Drew. 

Indirectly, of course.

The thought never crossed my mind that Drew would end up snagging the photograph — of all fifteen photographs I offered — of the one I took of Crystal Lake last year. I underestimated Drew's curiosity and his ability to do research. The joke was all on me because Drew would plan his next spring break trip here with his band of goofs and mindless set of girls. 

To everyone's surprise, Drew wasn't as troublesome as we thought he would be.  

After the revelation that everyone would have to share Callaway Village air, Drew initiated that his group would do their own thing, and we agreed to do ours. To be honest, I didn't completely count on it. Drew always had his way around things. 

Once we got that out of the way, we checked in Harbor Lane Inn to get ourselves settled. The inn was two stories but stretched, holding up to thirty vacancies. Besides the affordable prices, the homey inn was well taken care of. The inn was decorated with a cream and coffee color scheme with open space and white furniture. There was even a large room on the bottom floor dedicated for the guests to hang out and have complimentary breakfast in the morning. 

As soon as we received the two keys from the innkeeper, we settled to split the rooms. Mikaela and I shared one room while Eric and Joshua shared the other. After Mikaela and I finally figured out which bed we wanted, we decided that it was best to start the day by showing Joshua around. 

The weather was absolutely perfect, and we explored all the shops and tourist attractions. For lunch, we ate at our favorite café here, but nothing would ever beat Soulatté. Throughout the day, I was snapping away with my camera. I wanted to relive these moments again through these photographs and share it with Mom. Thankfully, Drew and his friends were too occupied playing around in the lake the entire time.

The next morning, the four of us agreed to meet downstairs of the inn where complimentary breakfast was offered. Drew was already there, literally hogging up the waffle table with his friends. I sighed and saw the disgruntled expression on Mikaela's face since the waffles were her favorite part of the breakfast.  

While we waited in line, my eyes wandered in search for Eric and Joshua. "Are they here yet?"

Mikaela yawned before she replied, "They'll be here. Gosh, they're worse than us when it comes to getting ready." 

I laughed before Mikaela joined in seconds later. 

Just like Mikaela noted, Eric and Joshua were walking down the stairs. Their eyes widened at the slightly crowded dining area before they spotted us. My stomach flipped when Drew and company finally got their huge stacks of waffles — talk about getting free food to their advantage — and the group of five strode their way to Eric and Joshua.  

A burst of concern overtook me because I didn't want any tension to strike after remembering how Joshua felt about Drew. However, once Drew and his friends acknowledged them, the two reciprocated a similar reply. 

I even heard Drew holler, "The best way to start the day is with waffles!" 

Eric and Joshua released a chuckle before heading towards us. 

For some reason, I assumed that Mikaela and I were on the same page.  

Once Mikaela caught my relaxed expression, she nodded. "I know. If those jackasses finished off the waffle batter, I would have torn Drew's pretty head off." 

Snorting out a laugh in reply, Eric entered the conversation by asking what was so funny. We shifted our attention to the boys' eyes of curiosity. Shaking her head, Mikaela began to explain the whole story.  

As this was going on, I smiled at Joshua as he greeted me. Joshua wore a simple white tee with navy blue board shorts. The sudden change of attire was quite amusing because I was used to seeing Joshua in his monochrome palette. 

"Sleep well?" His smooth voice questioned. 

I nodded. "I thank the innkeeper for making Drew's rooms the total opposite from us. I overheard the people in front saying how they wouldn't turn down the music." 

"I'm surprised they weren't kicked out."  

"Drew's obnoxious, but I think he knows when to not be a dumb ass. Did you sleep well?" 

He chuckled at my statement. "I did. The lake looks amazing at night by the way." 

My eyes widened. "You went down there by yourself?" 

"Why?" Joshua raised an eyebrow and teased. "Want to come next time?" 

I scoffed, hiding the smile on my face. "Whatever." 

"Okay, lovebirds. Do you want waffles or not?" A voice interjected. 

Realizing that we were next, it registered to me that Mikaela classified Joshua and me as "lovebirds". Darting a glare at her, Mikaela innocently smiled before turning back to the waffle maker. Eric was watching over his shoulder until I reminded him that his waffles were going to burn if he kept that up.  

Hoping that Joshua didn't witness any of this, my prayers were answered because his attention wasn't entirely in focus. Joshua appeared lost in his thoughts.  

Wondering if something was up, I asked, "Hey, you okay?" 

He blinked a few times before he nodded. "Yeah, sorry. Just dozing off." 

As crazy as this sounded, I deciphered that look. Joshua had the same expression on that one time we took the same bus route together. That troubled yet secretive look.  

In the end, I didn't dwell on it as we both got our round of waffles. After filling my plate up with other breakfast necessities, like scrambled eggs and bacon, the four of us occupied a nearby table and ate away. 

While we ate, Eric suggested, "So after this, let's hit up the lake?" 

Mikaela warned, "We can't swim yet! You have to wait an hour." 

His brown eyes glanced her way. "Or, we'll end up drowning." 

"I'm serious, Eric. I don't want to take the risk," Mikaela returned. 

"Sure, it's a precaution, but there hasn't been anything documented on that." 

"Still, it makes biological sense!" 

"Since when did biology start becoming an interest of yours?" Eric joked. 

Mikaela pointed her fork that she poked her waffle into towards Eric. "Since I started watching that channel on cable. Leave me alone." 

The two were already acting like a married couple. 

Usually, excitement would fill me in a heartbeat because one of the best assets of Callaway Village was Crystal Lake. As I chewed on my savory waffle, it occurred to me that I would have to change into a swimsuit in order to jump into the lake. 

And, the realization that Joshua would be there was a little — if not, ultimately — nerve-wracking. 

                                                     +        +        +

"You sure you're not going to swim?" Eric asked for the millionth time while I was in the middle of taking a photo of the evergreen forest scenery. 

Looking over my shoulder, Eric had his eyebrows up in a questionable manner. Last year, I was the first one to jump in Crystal Lake, so it wasn't a shocker for Eric to be suspicious about my current behavior.  

Placing my camera down, I shrugged a little. "I will, just not right now." 

Even though I had my swim suit on, I covered up with a shirt and denim shorts. Taking a peek at the lake, Mikaela was already in, but she looked murderous since Drew and his friends were splashing water at her like immature children. Joshua was nowhere to be seen though. 

My friend soon grinned. "Let me guess? You're going to wait till it's dark, so Joshua doesn't see you in your swim suit." 

Turning red in an instance, I defended, "No! As you can see, the angle of the sun right now is perfect. I am using it to my best advantage." 

"That's the best bullshit you've given me this year, Olivia," Eric acknowledged approvingly. 

Releasing a groan, I gave up. "Fine. Yes, I'm embarrassed." 

"What's there to be embarrassed about? It's just us." 

"No," I decided to be a wise ass, "it's us plus Joshua and Drew and his friends. It's different." 

"No, it's not. Joshua isn't going to judge you. Unless you're wearing that blinding highlighter yellow swimsuit." 

Reminding myself not to be so violent towards Eric, I pulled my hand back and frowned. "That was two years ago. I had no choice but to wear that one! For the record, it's not that awful swim suit." 

"Looks like there's no problem then. Here, hand me your camera. Go swim." 

Holding onto my camera like my life depended on it, I resisted, "No way! Why aren't you swimming?" 

"I'm not in the best condition," Eric didn't hesitate to bring up. 

"I know you aren't, but wasn't it just last Wednesday when you were proudly stating how your injuries closed up?" 

Seeing how I got Eric cornered, he gulped. "I swear, you remember the most odd things. How about this? I go in, if you go in. If you agree now, Joshua won't see because you'll be in the lake already." 

As I was about to open my mouth, our conversation was put to a halt when we heard Mikaela yell, "Joshua! Hurry, I need back up. I don't know what's taking Eric and Olivia so long!"  

Drew and his buddies were still splashing away as Joshua was walking down the wooden boardwalk of the lake. From where we stood, I was close enough to see the perplexed expression on Joshua's face until he noticed what was happening.  

However, my eyes were definitely not prepared for what I was going to see in the next few seconds. 

Joshua pulled his shirt off over his head, and my mouth dropped at how well defined his abdomen was. His gently tanned skin was complimented by the sun, and I just had to stare at his arms. They were toned to a point where muscles could be seen at a reasonable distance but weren't built in an unpleasant matter. Joshua soon casually jumped into the lake to join the rest. 

"Olivia, could you be any more obvious?" Eric's voice pulled me back to reality. 

Shaking my head, I snapped back, "Obvious, me? What are you talking about?" 

Eric laughed and motioned, "Come on, they're having fun without us." 

"I'm actually having fun right now." 

"Looking at Joshua? I can clearly see that." 

"Oh, shut it," I muttered, wanting to drown myself in misery. 

Placing his hand on my shoulder, Eric promised, "I'm not going to say anything. I'm one to talk since I'm not exactly the most confident around Mikaela. Let's just go and have fun today, okay?" 

Eric was right.  

Wearing a swimsuit in front of the guy that made your insides flutter shouldn't be a serious thing to fuss over. Attempting to get that in my head, I nodded. Eric then grinned before he took off his black t-shirt.  

I dead-panned a response, "Not the best condition? Since when did having a toned fucking body mean not the best condition?" 

There had to be some magic in the air because Eric was just as fit as Joshua despite the faded bruises on the side of his stomach.  

Eric stared at me with confused eyes until he laughed. "You knew what I meant. Olivia, you're fine the way you are. I don't get how you don't gain weight since you eat like a beast." 

Ignoring that comment, I asked, "Have you been going to the gym?" 

A sheepish expression surfaced on his face before he admitted, "Yeah, it's not a big deal or anything. Joshua and I go sometimes." 

"Says the guy who hated P.E. in middle school," I answered with a mocking grin, "these gym dates you have with Joshua sound cute." 

Eric countered back, "Why do I feel this strong emotion of envy radiating off of you?" 

"Eric Jihoon Park!" 

A mischievous grin flashed on Eric's face before he stormed off to join the rest. My worst nightmare came when Mikaela realized that I was the only one standing there with my clothes still intact. She waved her arms to get my attention, and I should have just pretended that I didn't see anything. 

Mikaela called out, "Hurry up, Olivia! I need someone to kick Drew's ass!" 

Waving back with a weak smile on my face, I tried to ignore the fact that everyone's attention was on me now.  

Drew then teased, "Do you need me to carry you, my sweet princess?" 

Giving Drew a hard glare in return, he immediately retreated away. Unsure if my eyes were playing games with me, Joshua looked slightly displeased by Drew's comment.  

I then nodded at Mikaela that I would be there in a minute.  

The quickened pace of my heart diminished when everyone went back to swimming. Placing my camera into my bag, I removed my shirt and shorts off in a matter of seconds and raced to the lake before anyone saw. 

Jumping in, the cool water left a relaxing sensation as I pushed my way up to the surface. Blinking my eyes a few times, my friends gave me a smile for finally coming in. Balancing myself in the water, I enjoyed my time by swimming around.  

"Why were you standing there for so long?" I suddenly heard Joshua ask. 

Looking around, I found Joshua on my right. The way his strands of wet hair framed him caused me to gulp down. In contrast, I was positive that I looked like a mess.  

As Joshua swam closer to me, I laughed awkwardly. "Pictures — photos — wait. I was taking pictures." 

He knitted his eyebrows and observed, "You're being weird right now. Everything okay?" 

No, it wasn't okay because you just had to go showing your body, and now, I couldn't get that image out of my head. 

However, I nodded in attempts to be convincing. "Of course I am! Just floating, see?" 

As I was about to showcase that, I suddenly felt something grab me from under the water. 

Letting out a horrified shriek, I was now being carried by whatever it was. Overtaken by panic, I immediately tried to find the source. My initial thoughts were that I was soon-to-be a mystical creature's lunch, but I found my stomach balancing on someone's shoulder.  

"You're so cute in that swim suit, Olivia! I'm digging the polka dots," That voice sang. 

Drew Larkin was honestly asking for his death wish.  

As Drew carried me with no effort, I wiggled like a worm on dry land after a good rain. "Let me go, you asshole!" 

He laughed, but I couldn't see anything since I was facing the opposite direction. 

"Put her down, man. She's terrified," Joshua directed. 

Joshua's demand was polite yet defensive in a sense that if Drew didn't listen, then there would be trouble. In an instance, Drew carefully placed me back into the water. Releasing a sigh of relief, the rush of blood in my head flowed back down.  

Shoving Drew's chest, I hissed, "Jerk." 

Drew didn't seem very affected and reasoned, "Loosen up a bit, Olivia. I'm sorry." 

"Go away before your head becomes best friends with water." 

The jock didn't bother to argue, but that cunning smile of his was plastered on as he swam away.  

To think that I was facing a life threatening situation for a second.  

When I returned my attention back to Joshua, his solemn expression disappeared as an amused smile crept on the corner of his lips. 

Still recovering, I barked, "What?" 

Joshua laughed a little and commented, "Your face... when Drew carried you. I wish you could have seen it." 

I groaned to my annoyance. "Can we not talk about this?" 

He then pointed out, "I now understand what you meant by floating." 

Splashing water at Joshua in reply, I almost resisted to thank him for getting Drew out of the picture.  

As Joshua wiped his even more drenched face, I thought that he would fire back, so I prepared myself for battle. Yet, Joshua didn't. Instead, he smiled. It was the smile that managed to calm me back to my senses.  

He questioned, "You okay though?" 

"It's whatever," I shrugged before I disclosed, "I'll get back at him." 

Through his grinning, Joshua requested, "Just do it when you're not wearing a two piece." 

                                                     +        +        +

After a day of swimming and getting free rounds on the jet skis — courtesy of the apologetic Drew Larkin — Mikaela and I were now in our room after the four of us finished up dinner at a family-owned Mexican restaurant. They had the best carne asada tacoes I had ever tasted. I even got to try water skiing which was horrifying yet exhilarating for the first time.  

Our Saturday was quite eventful filled with memories, worthwhile and traumatizing, that I wished that Sunday wouldn't try to ease itself in so quickly. All of us would be going back to reality, and I wasn't completely prepared for that yet. 

Mikaela was busy skimming through the photos I took on my camera while I was occupying the bathroom. After prepping myself for a good rest after a long day, I poked my head out of the bathroom door and found Mikaela still sitting on the edge of her bed. 

I announced, "Mikaela, you can use it now." 

"Alright," she nodded. "Actually, could you come here real quick?" 

Confused with the sudden request, I walked over anyway, and she was smiling with her eyes fixed on the camera screen. Once Mikaela noticed my close distance, she handed the camera over to me. There was a cryptic smile on her face.  

She then revealed, "I couldn't say this earlier at dinner because I knew you would be embarrassed if I did, but this picture is honestly my favorite. Look." 

Becoming lost at this point, I took the camera and hoped that whatever Mikaela was saying would make sense. The moment I took a look at the thumbnail of the photo, it all clicked to why Mikaela would say so.  

This "favorite" photo of hers was of one with Joshua and me together.  

As I stared at it, I wondered when that was even taken. I couldn't recall asking either Mikaela and Eric to take a photo of us. The more I observed the photo, the more I noticed that it was completely candid. This was taken on Friday when we were looking around the shops.  

In the photo, I was showing Joshua one of the humor books that a bookstore was selling outside. It was taken when I was in the middle of telling him a joke, and the photo captured both of us smiling. While my attention was stuck on the book I was holding, Joshua was looking at me with that heart-melting smile stuck on his face.  

Feeling my heart skip a beat at the way he appeared in the photo, it seemed like Joshua wasn't smiling at the joke, but he was smiling at me.  

Glancing up from the camera screen to meet Mikaela's eyes, I cleared my throat. "Um, it's nice." 

Mikaela snorted. "Are you kidding me? It's so precious! Did you see the way Joshua was looking at you?" 

"He was just smiling at the lame joke." 

Rolling her eyes, Mikaela reasoned, "Whatever you say, but you're a photographer. Your eyes pick out things that the average eye can't." 

Letting out a sigh, I murmured, "You make me sound like a cyborg. Who took this photo anyway?" 

She laughed at my comment before answering, "Eric did." 

"Wow, someone should hire him to become a paparazzi," I stated as I chuckled. 

Mikaela placed her hands on her hips and insisted, "Eric as a paparazzi? No, he was born to save lives in research or perform brain surgery or something. Anyway, I think it's cute. It makes it even better because it's completely candid. Just admit that it's cute." 

Keeping note of her defense towards Eric, I answered with no enthusiasm whatsoever, "It's cute." 

Huffing from frustration, Mikaela shook her head and turned the opposite direction. "Never mind, I'm going to go to the bathroom now." 

Chuckling in reply as she walked off, I glanced at the photo one more time and tried to hide the smile growing on my face.  

For the mean time, I looked outside of the window and noticed how the moon caused Crystal Lake to glisten from the distance. The view was absolutely gorgeous with the blue tones that almost gave a solemn vibe. The reflections of the trees that surrounded the lake was illuminating from the view of our room. 

My photographer instincts were kicking in, just wanting to capture what I could see in a closer proximity.  

Once Mikaela flicked the bathroom switch off, I told her that I was going to the lake and would head right back after I was done. Mikaela raised her eyebrows in amusement, but she knew not to question whenever I was itching to take photos.  

"You and your photography," Mikaela sang. 

Laughing shyly, I mentioned, "I can't help it. The city gets boring after capturing almost every angle of it." 

In response, a playful smile flashed on my friend's face. "Boring? Not when Mikaela O'Connor is there."  

I stated half-seriously, "Mikaela, stop. You're starting to sound like Drew." 

We laughed before I grabbed my camera. Reminding Mikaela that I wouldn't be gone for long, I closed the room door shut and walked outside.  

Despite my loose t-shirt and sweatpants I would wear to sleep, the winds were gentle but still casted a faint breeze. Releasing a brief shudder while I walked over to the lake, I beamed at how perfect this shot would turn out before I clicked the shutter a good couple times. Previewing the images on the screen, the scenery of the lake radiated a dreamy atmosphere.  

My photo-taking charade was stopped once I heard a few crunching noises from behind me.  

Assuming that it was something or someone walking against the sandy landscape, I slowly peeked over my shoulder, prepping myself to run if necessary. The clenched feeling in my heart eased when I discovered who it was. 

"Joshua," I called out when he stood not that far from me. 

A grin occupied his face as the moonlight hit the right angle of him.  

Compared to my attire, Joshua was wearing an olive green hoodie with jeans. Feeling completely underdressed even though this encounter wasn't planned, I didn't take into account that I would actually run into someone here at the lake.  

A hint of tease was expressed in Joshua's eyes as he questioned, "Last minute photos before bedtime?" 

I felt my cheeks flush and returned, "I'm not appreciating your sass right now." 

Joshua kept his smile on as his eyes roamed the lake. "Well, the view here is wonderful." 

Gulping down, I offered, "Did you want to see the photos I took?" 

There were no second thoughts with Joshua when he nodded his head and walked over to my side.  

Handing my camera to him, I then took a step back. Checking his facial expression every now and then as he skimmed through the photos, I couldn't decipher what was going through his mind. My heart pumped at a greater degree until Joshua's eyes eventually lifted back to my eye level.  

He complimented, "These are amazing. I can't believe these are real." 

Giving him a smile back, I replied bashfully in thanks.  

Once I got my camera from him, I shut it off before asking, "What brings you here anyway?" 

Noticing my curiosity, Joshua shoved his hands into his hoodie and shrugged. "Just decided to take a walk before we go back home tomorrow." 

After a brief moment, he asked, "Want to join me?" 

Seeing no harm in that, I nodded my head and completely forget what I told Mikaela at the time. Although I wasn't properly dressed, it didn't bother me as much anymore. I had overcome that fear.

As Joshua indicated for me to follow him, I then questioned as I placed the camera strap along my right shoulder, "Where exactly are we walking to?" 

There was a mysterious grin on his face, but excitement were presented in his green eyes. "There's this spot I found when I walked yesterday. It's pretty cool." 

"Am I going to come back alive?" I joked from behind him. 

Joshua let out a laugh. "So many questions. Thanks for making me sound like a creep, Olivia." 

"It's your nature though." 

"I guess that means you're attracted to creepers then." 

Stopping myself with the creep classification, I quietly mumbled, "Never mind, you're not a creep." 

A pleased grin grew on Joshua's face once I caught up to his pace. "I know, Nurse Sandpaper, I know."

______________________

A/N: ***If any of you don’t remember the beginning on the chapter where Olivia explains how Drew & Co. ended up at Callaway Village, you can refer back to chapter 20 where Drew’s mother reveals to Olivia that Drew purchased one of Olivia’s photographs and hangs it up in his room, that’s the photo he bought***

Dedicating this to the lovely Qu33n_of_Fre4ks who not only mentioned how much she enjoys CoU but even made the cute cover on the side. It portrays Olivia quite well. Thank you for the support, pal!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...