LEARNING ENGLISH

By LenLen522

the articles are not mine More

20 Essential English Idioms for ESL Students
11 English Podcasts Every English Learner Should Listen To
10 Awesome Channels to Learn English on YouTube
25 most used phrasal verbs
50 Idioms About Talking
English idioms & expressions about sleep
English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
IDIOMS ABOUT JOY AND HAPPINESS
Fantastic Idioms of Love
English Idioms English Idioms To Talk About Stopping Fighting Or Arguing
Say What You Feel: 15 Advanced English Phrases for Expressing Emotions
Idioms Realted to Emotions
Phrasal verbs relating to Happiness
Idioms Realted to Emotions
SLEEP PHRASAL VERBS
Talk Phrasal
Communication Phrasal
Time Phrasal Verbs
Playful Learning: 56 Phrasal Verbs to Easily Grow Your Vocab
ways to say thank you
Goodnight

What are Idioms

2.3K 26 0
By LenLen522

So you’re in an American bar.

It’s loud, but you can make out what people are saying.

You hear a fellow drinker talking about hitting books…

…another is talking about twisting someone’s arm…

…and it sounds like someone’s been stabbed in the back.

What the heck is going on?

You scratch your head and wonder why you’re still lost even though you can translate the words.

Well, you’ve just had your first introduction to English idioms.

Download: This blog post is available as a convenient and portable PDF that you can take anywhere. Click here to get a copy. (Download)

What Are English Idioms?

English idioms are a group of words which have a meaning which isn’t obvious from looking at the individual words.

They have developed over time and so they might seem random to you. English idioms often rely on analogies and metaphors.

Because they’re used so often in everyday English, if you don’t know them, it’s almost impossible to understand the context.

Why Learn English Idioms?

Does this sound familiar?

You took traditional classes.

You learned the grammar, the rules, and hundreds of exceptions.

You have a vocabulary that could rival an American student’s.

You even have a couple of certificates hanging proudly on your wall stating you are indeed proficient in English….

…so why is it you just can’t get it sometimes?

Well, what you learn from textbooks and what you learn from the real world are two totally different things when it comes to language learning.

What you really need is a stronger mastery of English idioms and expressions.

Learning common everyday English idioms will help you fit in with most situations whether it’s at a basketball game, over a beer, studying or going out on a hot date.

The key to understanding English idioms is never to look at them or read them in a literal sense – once you unlock the secrets of idiomatic English language then you’ll have cracked the code!
To help you master English idioms, we’ve gathered together 20 of the most common American English idioms and expressions. They’re useful for ESL students, or anyone learning English. Enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.1K 1.7K 27
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
1.5M 3.6K 14
Kwentong iyong magugustuhan
40.4K 30 13
My horny thoughts I might do guides SMUT don't report, just block :)
70.9K 271 20
My wlw thoughts Men dni 🚫 if you don't like these types of books block don't report Pm me girls<3