Angel of Darkness (DARKNESS #...

By Ariajadewrites

(Book One in the Darkness Series) Long ago, in a small town called Asteaia, a baby - very different from any... More

Introduction
Epigraph
Prelude I
Prelude II
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XVI
XVII
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty

Chapter Seventeen

2.8K 147 18
By Ariajadewrites

EDITOR WARNING: THIS CHAPTER HAS NOT BEEN EDITED SINCE FIRST DRAFT (2018). MAJOR PLOTHOLES OR INCONSISTENCIES

EREBUS

The masquerade ball was this eve, I thought to myself as I paced in my room atop the tower.
Adrienne would be there.
Her family would be there.
Asteaia would be there.
Fears danced through my head yet again when I considered all the night held. The risk was large... but damn it!

Walking to Aspen's chamber, I knocked loudly.

No answer.

Opening the door, I took in the scene in front of me and quickly slammed the door shut.

Damn it, Aspen! Why does he have to be constantly fucking other vampires?

Moments later, the knob turned as Aspen left the room, now wearing clothes.

"Erebus-" Aspen started.

"I don't care about your sex life, Aspen. I came to inform you I am leaving for Asteaia later today".

"Erebus, going back there isn't a good idea".

"I have a very important reason Aspen. I came to inform you so you don't worry; I know how you do incessantly even though I'm not a boy anymore".

Aspen smirked at that.

"I can't help it with you, always running off at night making the whole kingdom fret" he said laughing.

I gave him a knowing look in return.

"I trust you'll inform Cyan and Damian".

"Of course" Aspen answered before winking at me, heading back into his room.

Smirking, I headed back to my room to prepare for the masquerade.

"Why not use the opportunity to play up what I'm known for?" I thought to myself.

After deciding on a demon's mask, I decided to use my alias;  Marquis Azreal de Cervon. I used my abilities to morph my eyes to appear green. Perfect.

I slipped on my mask and headed out the door.

Now... I have a ball to attend.

As one of my many carriages pulled into the streets of Asteaia, I gazed at the signs adorning the streets about the ball. Businesses were dark as we approached the one still lit building in the town.

Ascending from my carriage, I stepped towards the large wooden doors; yanking them open as I stepped into the light.

"EEKK!" I heard some girls giggle as my eyes scanned the room.

I was looking for her.

Adrienne.

I saw a plump older man walk over to me, two pretty blond girls on his arm? I couldn't tell their age by the amount of makeup they had on.

"Hello Monsieur" the man welcomed with a smile.

"Bonjour. I am the Marquis de Cervon." I answered politely, still scanned the hordes of humans.

"Hello Marquis" the two girls said flirtatiously, proceeding to introduce themselves.

I forgot their names almost immediately, bored by their pushy advances. I talked with the man, whom I learned was the mayor; and also Adrienne's father. I was polite despite my blood boiling in me... this was her father who had hurt her.

The man that sent her crying to me; if you could even call him a man.

After he left, I humored the girls for a bit until I found her.

Adrienne.

My eyes locked with her as she stood alone, wearing a beautiful white gown and masque. She was an angel. How fitting.

Instantly disguarding the annoying girls that tittered at my side, touching me incessantly, I headed towards her.

She looked surprised at that.  Curtsying once I reached her, I was taken aback by her introduction.

  "Hello Monsieur, it quite seems you are the man of the hour".

I almost laughed at that. She sure had a bold streak.

"Oui, Mademoiselle"  I replied laughing.

I commented about herself.

"I am hardly a lady Monsieur" she answered smirking, much to my surprise.  It seemed that what she had implied didn't register until seconds later.

  "No! T-that's hardly what I meant" she stammered. Amusement twinged through me, seeing her so flustered was endearing.

Introducing myself using my alias, she enquired about the name. I was surprised, It was uncommon for females to have such a broad range of knowledge.

"Impressive," I thought to myself.

  "I'm sure you've met my sisters Mar- Azreal. Marie and Elizabeth are very beautiful".

I was taken aback at that. Those annoying blonds were her sisters? She was nothing like them.

I spoke to her for seldom five minutes before I was dragged away to dance by one of her sisters.

Leading her sister through the dance, I shrugged off her clingy attempts and ended the dance as quickly as possible.I noticed no men approached Adrienne to dance.

  "How was the dance?" she asked knowingly, once I had dismissed her sister.

I smirked at her. She was certainly a little spitfire. Quiet forward despite how coy her sisters pretended to art.

Hearing her snort, I started laughing. She was very different from the stuffy townsfolk.

"Will you give me the honour of a dance Angel?"  I asked her.

She answered me back with an equally witty response, informing me she didn't dance.

  "Can't or Won't?"  I questioned, amused.

I watched her pause before responding. "Can't".

Well that was certainly a surprise.

And something I could definitely help her with.

  "I can teach you. I happen to know how to dance"  I replied too excitedly.

Sigh...I was acting like a fool.

Luckily, she accepted as I took her onto the dance floor.

She looked very uncertain as I began to lead her.

"I've never done this before" Adrienne remarked quietly.

  "I guess I'll have to teach you then" I answered her, pulling her closer to me.

This was wrong.  A monster like me, taking advantage of an angel like her. But Hell... I was going to enjoy this while It lasted. I relished the feeling of having her in my arms, her tiny frame fitting perfectly into my much larger one.

I twirled and spun her, our bodies moving to the melody of the music.

  "The final lift" I whispered to her, my hands winding around her waist as I lifted her into the air.

The smile on her  face was worth it all. The happiness that shone in her eyes, and radiated through her.

Finishing the dance, I noticed she looked unwell. Her small chest was heaving, as she blinked rapidly.

"Adrienne! Are you okay" I asked worryingly.

"A-A-air... O-out-side" she croaked as I leaned her on me, rushing her outside.

Sitting her on a bench, I propped her against me as she gasped for air.

"What's wrong? I'll fix it for you" I stammered. Was she sick? Did she need a doctor? What the hell was wrong?!

"My c-corset... It's t-too t-tight."  she managed to get out, still looking very uncomfortable.

"I'll loosen it?"  I asked.

God damned women and their restrictive corsets! Vampiric women that wore them were prone to fainting fits. I had seen enough to know how they cut off one's air supply.

She just nodded as I immediately began undoing the back of her dress.

"Shit!" I cursed regarding the corset marks on her pale back. Leaning her against me, I untied the strings. This stupid thing was much too tight, It left red marks embedded in her skin.

Once it had loosened, Adrienne gasped in air.

Minutes passed before she jerked away from me, her face horrified at what I'd just done.

She hurriedly attempted to refasten the corset.

"May I?" I asked again.

"Y-yes" she squeaked.

I re-tied the damned thing again, much looser than before. After finishing buttoning her up, she turned to me embarrassed.

  "I-I'm sorry If I made you uncomfortable. I never meant for you to feel obligated to-"  she stammered.

"Adrienne. It's fine; I'm more than happy to help a beautiful lady like yourself"  I smiled at her.

She muttered something about the party, but I quickly brushed the notion away. I would enjoy every minute with her I could.

   "I hope you don't think I am some kind of harlot, I'm not... I mean I would never; I've never done anything like this and I-" she blabbered on.

I cut her off as I gently placed my lips on hers. Her soft lips kissed me back as her hands gently settled on my arms. 

As we pulled away, the horror of what I'd done rippled through me.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!?

Millions of thoughts ran through my head.

"A MONSTER"!
"A DEMON"!
"UNLOVABLE MISTAKE"!
"UNWANTED"!

What did I just do?!

A demon like me- tainting an angel like her.

  "I'm sorry if that was too forward of me" I replied worriedly. It was becoming impossible to think. Thoughts, blasted emotions and reservations overcame my mind.

"No! No! I loved it but-" she quickly backtracked.

And then she Adrienne did the unspeakable...

Pulling me back in, Adrienne kissed me again. Fuck this!

Kissing her back, I wrapped my arms around her. This is where she was safe. In my arms.

As she pulled away, my mind quieted.

  "I- we must get back to the party. Everyone will be wondering where we are" Adrienne stammered as I offered her my arm.

She gave me a smile, her face lighting up with such happiness.

I stood behind her, hidden in the shadows as we entered.

"Why isn't it the whore of the hour"!

"What?"  I heard Adrienne reply softly.

"We saw you outside with the Marquis de Cervon you harlot!"  a voice sneered.

Who the fuck was insulting Adrienne?!

Stepping forward, I protectively tucked Adrienne into my frame. But what surprised me was whom Adrienne was talking to.

Her sisters...

  "Ladies," I said coldly, glaring daggers at them through my concealed eyes.

They took the cue and promply left.

  "Do they always speak to you like that?" I asked furiously, being careful to not frighten her.

"Yes but-" I heard her start to say and my rage increased.

CHIME!

"UNMASKING!" The guests chimed, as people began taking off their disguises as the clock chimed midnight. 

Fuck. I had to go.

"Aren't you going to remove your masque?"

"I am sorry angel, I must depart" I smoothly answered, hating that I had to leave her; my time was up.

I took her tiny hand, placing a kiss on it.

"Until we meet again, Adrienne," I said, strolling towards the doors.

I was furious.

Livid.

How dare they!?

I knew that her family was licentious and petty but to treat such an innocent-

"They would pay dearly for this" I muttered to myself, as my coachmen gestured me into the carriage.

"They will pay lumière" I muttered as the carriage pulled me away, back into the darkness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 6 9
In another world where Gods make their presence known, where magic grants true power, and where unstable creatures of all kinds roam free... All peop...
970K 40.4K 35
Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a creature locked away miles beneath the ston...
2.8K 189 55
[Book Three] The girl that once was Milaia now must face the worst of all her nightmares, war. To do so, she must finally get to the truth of the sto...