TO SERVE AND OBEY

By Sinaidkincaid16

Aleska Maric is a Russian soldier and a highly skilled specialist field operative. Her expert knowledge of t... More

SYNOPSIS
Synopsis
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
.Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Epilogue

Chapter 4

78.2K 2.5K 98
By Sinaidkincaid16

'Next!' Aleska barks.

McDouall steps forward.

'Hands out!' She orders.

McDouall obeys.

She places a sack of solid lead into his arms. His hands almost collapse.

'That's twenty five kilograms!' McDouall heaves breathlessly.

He has reason to complain. He thinks it unfair that he and Harris are carrying much heavier sacks, whilst Scott gets only a fifteen kilogram sack. Aleska ignores his complaint. She observes Scott smirking, happy as a lark. Harris is quietly gripping his sack of lead. She picks up a twenty five kilogram bag herself as if it weighs nothing.

'Let's go.' Aleska issues.

She start's running up the bank. Ridiculous. That bag weighs almost as much as she does. About a hundred metres on, Aleska looks behind her. Amazingly Scott is right behind her, or is it not amazing considering he is carrying the least weight. McDouall is right behind Scott. Harris is under strain at the back.

'Faster! Keep moving soldiers!'

McDouall's jaw drops. He sees Aleska has turned around and she is running backwards up the bank with her load of lead. Scott is weakening.

'I said faster, Captain Scott.'

She can't be too lenient with him.

When they reach the top, they are panting, lungs burning. All three men are bent forward, clutching their knees.

'Line your bags in tandem!' She instructs.

All three obey and await further instructions. Aleska places her own bag down as well.

'I want you to run on the bags, give me twenty rounds.'

There is collective groans. They barely have their breaths back.

'Go! Go! Go!'

Aleska smiles inwardly. She goes in search of three poles. 'Faster!' She barks without even looking to see if they had slackened at her turned back.

'Watch and follow.'

Aleska goes down in a bridge position. She lifts her upper body, holding one of the poles; the one end close, towards her right shoulder, the opposite end diagonally to her opposite knee.

'Interesting view,' Harris murmurs softly to McDouall, his eyes trained on Aleska's bottom.

'Give me two hundred,' she throws the pole down, dusts her hands and sits down to watch.

'Hurry! You don't have all day. You start your shifts in an hour.'

Aleska watches them grunt and groan. It is excruciating torture to watch their efforts. British SAS and U.S Delta forces know nothing about discipline.

These soldiers would never make the harsh standards for red beret, unless she spends twelve hours a day with them for a whole month. She knew all about it. She had stab wounds from real knives during her days as a trainee. She had to endure pain from start to finish, during her endurance training that included, assault courses, martial arts, parachuting in all weather conditions, unarmed combat with judo, karate and knife-fighting, infiltration techniques- disarming hi-tech security systems, reconnaissance and map reading, satellite navigation aids and survival in all environments including desert, jungle, open and confined surfaces. She's been a soldier since the age of sixteen. Eight years on she could do most things with her eyes closed ... almost

'We are done Major,' Harris states.

'No you not,' she hops up. 'Dive into the water. Two kilometres upstream and back. Go!

'You are kidding!' McDouall protests.

'I believe it was you that requested this training, Captain McDouall. Now get to it!'

'Yes ma'am,' he grits his teeth as he dives into the river.

Twenty five minutes later, Aleska completes the training session for the first team.

'Carry your sacks back to our starting position.' Again more collective grunts. They are soaking wet. Their legs feel like the sack of lead they need to haul down the steep bank.

'Dismissed ... till tomorrow,' she announces.

She picks up her own sack and leads the way down back to their camp site.

Aleska does not hear the heated debate being whispered behind her back.

'This was a waste of my time,' McDouall grumpily mumbles.

'Different from our own training methods,' Scott grins.

'I ache all over,' Harris moans.

'I still don't trust her. I swear I'll put my knife into her, the first sign I see of her disloyalty,' McDouall vows.

'You're over-reacting,' Harris shrugs off McDouall's threat.

'She's just a pain in the butt,' McDouall rants. 'She has not captured that drug cartel. All she likes doing is pulling rank and yapping orders. Do you know what I think? She has tipped them off, man! That's why they're still out there on the loose. Isn't she supposed to be the expert? Expert of this jungle and expert on profiling that drug lord! But we all know where her allegiance lies.'

'Cut the Major some slack John. She has a strategy,' Scott comes to Aleska's defence.

'The only strategy she has is to keep the cartel informed. She's not one of us. She's not human man! She is a cold hearted ---!'

McDouall does not get to complete his description. He was physically and violently hauled by the scruff of his collar and pinned against a tree.

'You watch what you say about an Officer, Captain!' The muscles cord at Stone's throat. 'I don't like your accusations and be advised they are ill-founded,' Stone's eyes are fierce with blazing anger.

'Yes sir. Sorry sir!' McDouall is embarassed. Stone's grip around his throat is tight. He is barely able to breathe. McDouall knows his colonel expressly does not tolerate dissention amongst the ranks.

'If you are not happy on this mission Captain, I can arrange for you to be transferred,' Stone loosens his grip, drops his hands and walks away.

'That won't necessary sir.' McDouall murmurs to Stone's back.

Later that afternoon, Aleska is sitting on the low river bank. It has become her favourite place. Water is gushing down the river, so vast like a little ocean. The intricate path the water cuts is like a maze. Once one embarks upon the river, there is no way out. One must continue until the end, where it joins the Atlantic.

As the sun climbs over the forest, the surface of the water becomes painted in shades of gold and blue. Huge branches of great Hyacinth trees are bowing towards the river's edge. Aleska is dismantling and wiping down her pistol. She hears footsteps behind her and looks over her shoulder. She raises an eyebrow questioningly.

'Permission to sit, Major,' Scott asks with a grin on his face.

'Granted,' she continues wiping down the barrel of her gun.

Scott sits down. He says nothing, neither does Aleska. She assembles her pistol again, slips it into her holster and starts the same process with her knives.

'Want one?' Scott offers her a chocolate bar.

'Just how many of these do you have stock of?' She studies the labels on both bars. One reads, Galaxy caramel, the other says, Boost duo.

'I'd rather not say,' Scott grins.

Aleska shakes her head. 'Thank you,' she accepts the one that says, Galaxy Caramel tears the wrapper and bites into it.

'Taste good?' Scott asks.

She savours the taste, concludes it's kind of gooey but not too sweet and nods her approval to Scott. 'And what about yours?' She asks with curious interest.

'Want some?' He offers hesitatingly.

'Yeah,' she takes a bite without hesitation. 'Tastes like ... bubble gum,' she smiles.

'Oh boy she's smiling again,' Scott mutters under his breath.

'What else have you got?' She demands, handing him back his chocolate.

Reluctantly, he retrieves the Double Decker bar from his pocket. 'You can have half,' he offers.

Aleska uses her knife. She slices it in two with the wrapper on. 'Mmm,' she nods. 'I like this best ... nougat and ...marshmallow right?'

Scott nods. His eyes are trained on her tongue licking her lips. He has two opened bars of chocolate in his hand, both not eaten.

'Perhaps I should confiscate all your candy Captain. You are truly out of shape.'

'No --- please,' a look of anguish fills his face.

'Just kidding,' she helps herself to another bite of his Double Decker.

At that moment, Stones decides to happen by. Again Aleska is huddled with Scott. This time her head is bent, she is taking a bite of candy from Scott's hand. Aleska's eyes lock with Stone's. She stops chewing ... swallows and feels the candy bruising her throat as she swallows hard on it.

'Leave us alone Captain,' Stone instructs.

'Sir, yes sir,' Scott hops to his feet and scrambles away.

'This is becoming a regular occurrence?' Stone sits on the spot Scott vacated.

'We are both off duty. I don't see the problem, do you?' She narrows her eyes at Stone.

She is so damn attractive, Stone is overtaken by pure unadulterated lust but outwardly, his face reflects a cold day in Siberia. He redirects his unruly thoughts to what he knows of the lusciously sexy Russian soldier.

'Perhaps,' he answers mysteriously. 'Why have you aligned yourself to Captain Scott and not to any of my other soldiers?'

'Have I?' She asks, privately acknowledging that she is most comfortable with Scott than any of the others.

'You tell me Aleska.'

There is the light rise of her shoulder and her total avoidance of answer. His taunting voice is warm ... familiar ... appealing. They stir a memory. Set her heart racing...brings the breath into her lungs in a sudden gasp. The all masculine powerful frame next to her is too strong to resist. The dangerous burning grey eyes are fixed on her face, scorching her flesh. Sitting next to her, he looks so much more imposing, dangerous to her equilibrium.

She watches him. His grey eyes, the harshly handsome shadowy face in the weak light.....reminding her, he is her commanding officer.

He is my superior.

She cautions herself again.  She is on a mission here: to paralyse the enemy's system of command and control and capture their number 1; 2 and 3 highest ranking members. Still she indulges in another self- satisfying look. Her eyes sweep over the black silk of his hair that glistens against the polished jet strands they cling to. Her cool blue eyes are drawn to his. For an infinitesimal moment she gazes at him.

Aleska has resourceful powers of recovery. She dusts her hands and hastily stands up, focusing her eyes everywhere but on Stone. He sees the moment is lost. Aleska is a soldier first, a human being with emotions second if she allows it.

Back at her home in Russia, Aleska had been a trainer in the Special Training Division training soldiers in the rifle regiments; tank regiments; artillery regiment; anti-aircraft regiment; missile battalion train specialists.

She had been tasked with human re-engineering. She turned soldiers in the right direction through discipline and competence.

He should leave, Stone mentally tells himself, but he finds himself staying. She feels his momentary indecisiveness, the attraction between them heating up. His eyes dip and stay transfixed to the shapely curves of her bosom where her top button is opened. The cool breeze against her skin is a welcome relief from the stifling heat. Aleska looks away. Her fingers reflexively button up her shirt. She could sense his amusement. When her eyes find his again, there is soft laughter in his. Aleska narrows her eyes at him before she turns to walks away. His echoing laughter fills the air.

She addresses him in Russian. 'Maybe you will share the joke,' she tosses, annoyed at herself for becoming flustered in his presence.

'I can't when you are running away,' he taunts back in Russian.

'I --- have things to do,' she mumbles, reverting to English.

Stone does not believe that excuse for one moment. He salutes mockingly, lowers his back onto the grass, folding his arms under his head and closes his eyes.

Aleska heaves a heavy breath and makes a fast exit, before she is tempted to re-join him.

It is pitch dark outside. Aleska feels the crisp chill of the early morning air. Something has awoken her. Her intuition is too finely tuned to ignore the beep on her mobile. She rushes out to the Comms room, to find Stone and McDouall already there in a serious conversation. They look up, stop talking. Aleska's eyes dart to the huge wide screens.

'Something's triggered the sensors,' Stone announces and calls in the rest of the squad on his radio.

Aleska nods. 'I pulled the security cameras. She checks her pistol. 'I will go and check it out.'

'You're not going alone,' Stone instructs.

Aleska is ready to argue. Just then Scott and Harris come rushing in.

'I will take Captain Scott,' she replies through clenched teeth.

Stone is not happy. He wants his best man to accompany Aleska. Yes she is brave and extremely self-sufficient but Stone wants somebody to cover her back. Even though she knows the rain forest like the back of her hand, the enemy probably knows it better. He does not want to take any risks. And he could not pursue the drug cartel without her expert assistance.

'Captain McDouall will accompany you,' Stone orders.

Both the heads of Aleska and McDouall swing unbelievably towards Stone. Was he delusional? They could not stand each other! They would probably kill each other before the enemy does.

'He is not going with me,' Aleska hisses in Russian.

'I --- think Captain Scott should accompany the Major,' McDouall also protests.

Stone ignores the objections. He has faith in McDouall. He's seen him in action in armed combat on many occasions. McDouall could hold his own. And he has no qualms about Aleska's ability to handle herself. So why is he pairing these two, when they seem to hate each other's guts? Stone is hoping these two would bond on their mission together. He needs their combined expertise.

'Major, I want you to check in every thirty minutes. Captain McDouall you are not to compromise our operations in any manner what so ever. Am I clear soldiers?'

'Yes sir!' McDouall salutes.

'Yes Colonel,' Aleska hisses and starts marching away. 'Captain McDouall, stay behind me and do not fire your weapon, unless it is absolutely necessary,' she instructs.

'Yes ma'am,' he sneers mockingly.

They hike in silence for about an hour. As required Aleska twice makes the mandatory calls to Stone. All she announces is: "Checking in. Nothing to report Colonel," and cuts the communication, not giving Stone any opportunity to engage her.

'This is stupid!' McDouall hisses, slapping at branches as they tiptoe through the dense forest. 'We are close to the river and not a single human being in sight,' he hisses softly.

'Be quiet!' Aleska whispers over her shoulder. 'Voices carry in the forest.'

'There's a path there. I'm going to check it out,' McDouall states.

'No! Stay behind me!'

'Just as she speaks those words, McDouall screams as he finds himself sinking into sand.

Aleska breaks off a tree branch. She holds tightly onto one end and stretches the other end to McDouall. 'Grip tightly onto the branch Captain. I'm going to drag you out.'

'Hurry! I'm in at my knees,' he shouts hysterically.

Aleska buckles her knees, inhales deeply and pulls with all her strength. Her fingers are bruising on the weather roughened branch, but she does not stop until she drags McDouall to safety.

'Thank you Major,' he exclaims reluctantly. 'You could have let me sink,' his eyes search hers in the darkness.

'Your colonel is expecting me to return you safely back to him. He will never believe your disappearance was accidental or a result of your stupidity,' she leaves him there and starts walking.

'Fine!  You are the queen of the jungle ---.'

Aleska covers McDouall's mouth. She raises her index finger to her lips. She is on high alert. McDouall looks around searchingly. He cannot see or hear anything.

'What did you hear?' He whispers.

Aleska does not answer. Her one hand is holding McDouall behind her, the other removes her knife from its sheath. She picks up vibrations around her. Her intuitive antenna goes on high alert.

'Standby Captain,' she whispers. 'There are about four humans approaching us.

'Where? I don't see or hear ---.'

McDouall feels something like a steel rod strike against the back of his head. He screams from the sheer pain.

Aleska cannot go to his rescue. She is doing battle with three vicious and violent men. One tries to strike her beautiful face with a knife, lucky for her super quick reflexes. She uses her feet when the opportunity presents itself, but more often she is wielding her knife against her attackers. She feels vindicated when twice her blade pierces into hardened flesh and grunts of pain is echoed.

At the corner of her eye, Aleska sees McDouall has quickly recovered from the thump to his head. He is fighting like a crazed animal. She smiles inwardly, clearly the attack on him brought out the beast in him. McDouall is giving more than he is getting. Like a madman, his fists are pummelling at his attacker.

Aleska's attack was quick, accurate and fatal. She sees the one man fall, clutching his knee. A second man was limply cradling what may be his broken hand, courtesy of both her ankles twisting it in a tight grip, whilst she lay on her back on the ground.

The enemy is sensing defeat. It was too dark. Aleska could not see the faces, but she heard voices ...Spanish, one authoritative like the leader instructing the others to pull back into the water. Aleska hops to her feet with lightning speed. She is not going to allow them to escape. She pursues the leader and just then a shot is fired... and two more. Aleska throws herself into the thick bushes. She hears McDouall scream like a wounded animal. She hauls out her gun and returns the fire. She can't see the figures any longer amongst the enormous tree trunks surrounding her.  Aleska abandons the pursuit and rushes over to McDouall.

'Captain! Can you hear me?' She taps him lightly on the face.

'My leg,' he winces, clutching above his right knee.

Aleska looks down and sees he has taken a bullet on the thigh. She sees the imprint of the bullet, has burned through his uniform. Aleska slices through his trousers with her knife. The bullet has pierced his upper thigh. It was swelling rather rapidly. She applies pressure with the heel of her palm, attempting to close up the damaged blood vessel.

'Am ---am I going to die?'

Aleska studies his face for a second. 'You will live, if I cut into the wound.'

'What?'

She needs to relieve the pressure. If she does not stop the internal bleeding, it will create high pressure and prevent blood flow to the rest of his leg.

'I have to make an incision --- stop the internal bleeding.'

He shakes his head. 'I will die.'

'You will die if I don't let out the blood,' she speaks calmly.

'Major, I'm cold --- can't breathe.'

Aleska removes her jacket. She drapes it over him. 'Captain, I need you to be strong. 'Here bite onto this.' She shoves a piece of wood between his teeth. 'This is going to hurt like hell, but you will thank me tomorrow.' She gets to work, quickly, efficiently. Aleska makes a small, but deep incision where the bullet pierced. McDouall screams in agony. The wood stays between his teeth but he passes out. Aleska cuts a strip from her own trousers, makes a tourniquet and uses it to tightly secure the area around the wound.

She tries to lift McDouall. It is a mammoth task. He is heavy as lead. She wraps his one arm around her neck and drags him out of the forest. He grunts from the excruciating pain, lapses in and out of consciousness, screaming and shrieking from the pain as she practically drags him towards base camp.

Aleska manages to call Stone. Thank heavens he has some advanced emergency medical training skills. She fills Stone in on their situation. She is about twenty minutes away from their camp site, barely managing with the dead weight of McDouall. He keeps slumping downwards from the unbearable pain.

'Stay with me Captain. We're almost there.' She reassures him, but the unconscious McDouall cannot hear her. Aleska feels as if her arm is being wrenched from her body. Her lungs are burning, her legs are resisting. She wants to rest, but McDouall needs medical attention more than she needs to rest.

'Aleska!' Stone's sudden voice was a welcome omen.

'Stone --- he is unconscious.'

'Are you okay?' Stone asks as he relieves her of the weight of McDouall.

Aleska nods.  Delighted that Stone has managed to find her and McDouall.

Stone lifts McDouall into his arms like he weighs nothing. 'Captain Harris assist Major Maric, back to site.'

'I'm fine. Get McDouall back. He needs medical attention urgently.'

Harris removes his jacket and drapes it around her shoulders. He offers her some water.

'Thank you,' she acknowledges to Harris and takes a sip and returns the bottle to him. She looks up, sees Stone is make huge quick strides back to camp. She increases her own pace. She can move much faster now without McDouall's weight bearing her down.

When she reaches the camp site, she rushes to the makeshift medical room. McDouall is on a bed. Stone is attending to the wound. McDouall has been tranquilised. Stone prods where Aleska had made the incision earlier. A slightly deeper cut is made to remove the now visible bullet. The unconscious McDouall is stitched up and given more medication. He sleeps away the pain.

          -end chapter four-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

459K 10.1K 106
A long time after Clary's arrival, it seems that the things aren't going in the Lightwoods favour. Besides that they are vizited by an important pers...
354 92 43
Luka Stone is forced to move to a small town out in the country as his dad gets a new job, but once he is there he finds friends, bullies and the mos...
27.8K 2.7K 25
✨️WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST + AMBYS Top Pick, Science Fiction! ✨️ | Gio, a man jailed for a crime he didn't commit, becomes an augmented human in exchang...
13.9K 1.3K 45
📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...