What You're Not | ✔

By keahlovee

[Now free to read!!] When she moves to a new town, all Loren wants is a fresh start. But things get complicat... More

✨ ANNOUNCEMENT ✨
01. The Walls
02. Party Crashers
03. Pure Ego
04. Fashion Club
05. Study Buddy
06. Miss Attitude
07. This Is Weird
08. Sweaty Palms
9. Starless Night
10. Drugstore Proposal
11. The Guidelines
12. Just Friends
13. Thirteen Again
14. Regret Hangover
15. Destiny's Plan
16. PB&J
17. Locked In
18. Jealous
19. Flash Flood
20. Coming Clean
21. Caffeinated Apologies
22. Fear Of Feelings
23. Choices
24. In Between
26. The Maze
27. Rivals
28. Buried At The Bottom
29. Different
30. The B Word
31. A Second Chance
32. Third Times A Charm
33. Soft Spots
34. Paper Cuts
35. The Fall Festival
36. The Truth
37. Playing House
38. Family Dinner
39. Murky Water
40. Sleep Over (1)
41. Sleep Over (2)
42. Rule Breaker
43. Worth It
44. Masquerade (1)
45. Masquerade (2)
46. Numb
47. Hope
48. Fight For It
49. Protective, Possessive
50. Collide
Epilogue
*BONUS* 29. Different (miles's pov)

25. Insecure

35.9K 1.4K 485
By keahlovee

"Got a hot date?"

It was Thursday night and Mom was all dressed up for a night out. Unfortunately, it wasn't to join me at Victoria's party. She and her new friend, Tyler, had already made plans.

The grin on Mom's face grew wider as she adjusted the straps on her red halter dress in the bathroom mirror. She always looked stunning in red.

"Tyler is taking me to that French restaurant downtown," she gushed excitedly.

Mom's been on a few dates before, I've never seen her this excited. Her giddy attitude was contagious and I found myself smiling uncontrollably as well.

"It's a school night, so you be home at a reasonable hour," I said, wagging my finger at her.

She shook her head at me. "Speaking of school, did you finished your homework?"

"I finished most of the assignments that are due tomorrow."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "Most?"

"All. I said all," I said, flashing an innocent smile.

"If your extracurricular activities are getting in the way of your school work—"

"My grades are fine," I assured her, handing her a pair of tear drop earrings. The chandelier earrings she had on were too flashy. "I might even get a grade above a C."

She fake gasped as she switched her earrings. "How do I look?"

From the red dress, to the perfect chignon she styled her box braids into, only one word came to mind. "Gorgeous."

Her grin was back and wider than I thought possible. "Now when are you getting ready?"

I glanced down at my fluffy, pink robe that once white. Stupid, sneaky socks.

"As soon as you leave so you won't see the very revealing dress I plan on wearing."

She shot me a look, just as the doorbell rang. Mom checked herself in the mirror one more time before giving me a quick peck on the cheek and hurrying downstairs to greet her date.

Once Mom was gone I went into my room.

The dress I was wearing tonight was on my bed. A black, off the shoulder body con dress with quarter sleeves that I borrowed from Chelsea.

Slipping out of the robe and into the dress, I'm shocked by my reflection. It was weird seeing myself in something other than jeans and T-shirt.

Before I could talk myself out of going to the party, I put on some black heels, grabbed the car keys and left.

The Hernandez household was further out than I thought. But after a twenty-minute drive I finally made it to the mansion-like house. Their house was so large that there was even a valet to take the car. I was completely out of my comfort zone.

Even more so when I stepped into the massive house. My house probably could've fit in the foyer.  The security guard at the door asked for my name, then said something in his ear piece before letting me pass.

Not even a minute later a short, blonde woman appeared in front of me with a clipboard and a wide smile.

"Hello, Loren. I'm Georgia, Victoria's assistant. Well, one of them," she giggled. "But tonight I am your assistant."

"Why?" I uttered.

"To make sure you have a good time," she explained with a loud laugh. "And to make sure you don't skip out before she has a chance to talk to you."

That didn't sound creepy at all.

"Victoria is rubbing elbows with the big wigs right now, so until she's free is there anything you need?"

"Miles Hanson," I blurted out, immediately regretting it. I could've worded that better.

Georgia simply nodded, then pressed a hand to her ear.

"I needs eyes on Miles Hanson," she said into the ear piece. She then motioned for me to follow her.

She took me through an archway, leading us into the party. People in fancy suits and dresses mingled as classical music played in the background. Wait staff maneuvered through the crowds with silver trays of appetizers or champagne. It's was surreal that I was even at a party like that.

We went through a set of doors that lead to a sitting area, where Victoria was surrounded by what I assumed to be the bigwigs. She shot me a small smile before turning back to the lady she was speaking with.

Georgia lead me to yet another set of doors that lead to a different sitting area. That one was equipped with a large tv, a pool table and a few arcade games and was populated with people my age.

"Here we are. Enjoy your night," Georgia said before leaving out of the room. No one really noticed my presence as they were too busy watching two girls go head-to-head in a game of Guitar Hero. As I got closer I realized the two girls were Chelsea and another cheerleader named Ava.

The small clutch that held my cell and wallet vibrated as a text came through.

Miles:

Now find the hottest person in the room

I bit down on my lip to stop a full fledge grin from breaking out across my face as I shot back a reply.

Loren:

No mirrors :/

I looked up, scanning the room until I saw him. He was sitting on an ottoman under one of the large windows on the far side of the room and looking down at his phone. He lifted his head and our eyes met. God, he looked good in a suit. When he smiled my heart hammered in my chest and I knew that no amount of denial was going stop these feelings I had for him.

"You are definitely the hottest person in the room," he said as I sat down next to him, his emerald eyes watched my ever move.

From his lazy grin to his slightly slurred speech, I had to ask. "Are you drunk?"

He chuckled. "What? I gotta be drunk to compliment you?"

"I can smell it on your breath."

He laughed again, shrugging his shoulders. "Alright, I might've had a drink or two. It's not my fault someone spiked the punch. But if I was sober I'd still think you were the hottest person in the room. I just wouldn't have told you."

I'd never witnessed a drunk Miles before. He seemed to be a happy drunk which wasn't very different from his sober self. He just laughed a lot more and seemed to have no filter.

I didn't think I could handle an unfiltered Miles. Especially not when he looked at me with those gorgeous eyes of his.

"There's a lot of things I wouldn't tell you sober, actually." His words were nearly drowned out by the loud cheers that erupted from the people huddled around the tv.

Miles didn't seem to notice or care about anyone else in the room. Having his full attention was a mixture of wanting to hide and wanting to relish in his gaze.

"You wanna hear them?"

Tempting. Very tempting. I wanted to know the thoughts in his head, especially the ones about me, but not like that. What if he took it all back once he sobered up?

"I don't think sober Miles would appreciate you spreading his secrets around."

Another playful laugh escaped him. "You're right."

"Miles?" He pulled his gaze away from me, looking up at an annoyed Vivian. "Come play, Cameron's a lousy drummer."

She sounded drunk as well. Was everyone here under the influence of alcohol?

"Later," he replied, turning back to me. "We're talking."

"Talk later," she demanded, grabbing him by the hand. Her tugging was met with more laughter from Miles. This definitely wouldn't be happening if he was sober.

She dropped his arm, storming off in a huff and grabbing a bottle of wine on her way. I couldn't help but feel bad for her.

It reminded me of when I dated Jerrell. Our last moment together I acted like a clingy psycho. I even got into a fight with the girl he was talking to. It wasn't like he was flirting with her, he was just being a good host and socializing with his party guest.

My insecurity got the best of me that night. To think, if I hadn't felt so threatened by the other girls there, Jerrell wouldn't have called my dad to come get me.

Looking back on that night now I realize how stupid and childish I was acting. But in the moment it hurt to be ignored by the only person I wanted attention from.

That's why, even though she'd been nothing but a bitch to me, I went to find her.

I found her in a room at the end of the hall. The room was dark, illuminated only by the moonlight the came through the windows. Vivian sitting on the window seat, looking out of it as she took a gulp of the wine she held.

"Hey."

She groaned loudly at the sound of my voice. "Why are you here?"

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." The words didn't sound right in my head and they didn't feel right coming out of my mouth.

"I'd be better if you left," she snarled, turning to face me. "The room, the house, the state of California. Take your pick."

"Look, I get it," I said further into the room. "You feel invisible and lonely. I've been there."

"Oh gee, little miss perfect feels lonely." She covered her heart in mock sympathy. "Even though literally anyone you come in contact with wants to be your best friend."

"Loneliness isn't physical, it's a feeling. It's the feeling that no one understands or care to try to understand what you're going through."

She remained silent for a moment, the only sound came from the liquid sloshing around in the bottle she held. "Miles understands. But he's been preoccupied with the new girl. I don't understand why because you're about as interesting as Bella Swan."

Ignoring her rude comment, I tried to remain civil and show her that we didn't have to hate each other.

"I went through that with my last boyfriend, Jerrell. He was the only one I told about my parents separating and whenever I saw him talking to another girl I'd get crazy jealous, thinking that he was going to leave me for someone with less issues."

It felt amazing getting that off my chest. The feeling didn't last long as a smirk grew on Vivian's face. Venting to her probably wasn't the best idea.

She stood up from the window seat, walking around the desk to me.

"So, you can relate to what I'm going through, that doesn't make us friends," she told me, her brown eyes narrowing at me. "You remember that when I use everything you just told me against you."

Was she being serious? My jaw tightened as I held on to the little calm I had left. "Look, we both obviously care about Miles. Nothing good is going to come of you and me fighting," I said. "I'm just trying to be nice."

She scoffed. "Were you just being nice when you were making-out with Jerrell at that party last month?"

I could feel the life drain from my face. How could she have found out about that.

She was outright grinning. "To think I was mad at Ava that night for dragging me all the way out there to her cousin's party."

Ava was Jerrell's cousin and they were both at the party? That was a lot to wrap my head around.

Vivian looked like a kid on Christmas morning. She walked by me, making sure to knock into me on her way out of the room.

On my way back to the game room my head buzzed with ways Vivian could use what she knew against me.

What if she told Miles? She could twist things around, making what between me a Jerrell more than it was. Why'd I have to open my mouth? I should've just left her alone.

My spiraling thoughts were interrupted by someone enclosing their hand around mine and pulling me into their chest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

331K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
231K 12.7K 51
Jasmine and Megan have always been best-friends since childhood. Now that they are older, they are both YouTube sensations who live together. The pro...
114K 3.9K 48
Parker Graham is totally content to be living his normal life. He has everything a teenage boy could dream of: rich parents, a nice car, crazy athlet...
13.6K 676 49
I trail my eyes slowly from his grey eyes to his lips, his chest rising and falling on a fast pace. "L-Lewis" i whisper, "yes sweetheart?" His hands...