Picking up the Pieces

By tufano79

Isabella Black lost her husband in the cruelest way possible. He wasted away and was ravaged by the evil, sil... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Epilogue

Chapter Thirteen

1.3K 34 2
By tufano79

This story is dedicated to my friend, Pam, who recently lost her husband to cancer. She's a wonderful friend with a beautiful soul who didn't deserve losing her best friend to such a devastating and deadly disease. I love you, girl.

Up next will be the end of the school year, Edward's birthday and leading up to the trip to Vancouver. So, I've decided to split the chapter...half Bella and half Edward. The lemon will happen the next chapter. This chapter kind of ran away from me. BUT, the lemon will be HOTT!

Oh, and the irony that I'm writing about Bella's end of the school year while I'm getting to start my new school year. Makes me yearn for another summer vacay. For Bella, 'School's out for Summer.' For me, 'School days, school days...dear old golden rule days.'

Not mine...Just sayin...

Chapter Thirteen

BPOV

"On your marks...get set...GO!" I yelled as a waved my flag. The third graders who were running the hundred yard dash for our field day took off in a dead sprint. There was squealing, laughter and joy. Field day was an annual event at the elementary school. The morning was spent with various races and games. In the afternoon, the fire department and several deputies helped with lunch, grilling hamburgers, hot dogs and veggie burgers while we finished setting up the carnival in the gym and outside. This year had several new attractions with pony rides, a petting zoo and inflatables. At the opposite end of the field, Alice blew the whistle, bouncing up and down, congratulating the fastest boy and fastest girl in the race.

After all of the races, we were going to determine the fastest boy and girl for the primary grades, kindergarten through second grade and another set for the more intermediate grades, third through fifth grade. There also other various competitions, games and such going on during this bright, warm day on the field of Forks Elementary School. Inside, arts and crafts were being made in the classrooms, along with face painting and a book walk, similar to a cake walk but the prizes were pulled books from the library. The kids loved it. So did the parents. The staff, we hated it because it was a lot of work. The field day was structured but not. Having twenty-four kids in self-contained classroom. Having nearly three hundred children running around, trying to keep them with their teacher was like herding cats.

Thank goodness today was the last day of school. For the kids, it was the last day of school. For the teachers, they had an institute day tomorrow to clean up their rooms so the desks could get replaced, the carpets cleaned and a fresh coat of paint on the walls. For Alice and me, it was the beginning of scheduling and all of that craziness with the secretaries, registering new students and reassigning any staff that needed to be shuffled around. In July, the school shut down completely so the main office could get scoured, so I got the month of July off. But, June and August, were going to be jam packed with a lot of work.

"Is everyone ready?" I asked the next group of kids. They eagerly nodded, bouncing on their toes. "On your marks...get set...GO!!"

During lunch, I'm sitting on one of the lunch tables, munching on a hot dog. I'm sweaty, tired and ready for a long nap. Walking toward me was one of the grill masters, Edward. He was carrying another plate and two water bottles. He plopped down next to me, handing me one of the bottles. "You should be in the shade, Ms. Black. You're awfully pink."

"I'm just hot," I said. "I can handle the heat but coupled with humidity, my face gets red." I chugged the water. "Are you freed from the grill?"

"More like banned. Mr. Schwartz yelled at me because the hamburgers I cooked were apparently raw. Stick to being a police officer, he said," Edward snorted, nibbling on his hot dog. "I decided to take a break and join my favorite girl eat her lunch."

"Well, Grace is over there," I teased, pointing to a gaggle of little girls, squealing happily.

"You wound me, Bella. I thought you loved me," he pouted.

"You know I do," I giggled, popping a chip in my mouth. "Very much." I leaned my cheek on his shoulder, wishing I could kiss him, but it wouldn't be proper. I was working and technically, so was he. "I can't wait to get home to shower."

"I hear you. I smell like hot dogs and pony poop," he snickered. "Whose brilliant idea was to put the pony rides next to the grill?"

"Lauren Crowley. She's not the sharpest tool in the shed. There's a reason why she teaches kindergarten. It's all she understands," I whispered. "How's Esme?"

"Better. She all but pushed me out of the house this morning," Edward said, his eyes dimming. Esme had gotten sick with an opportunistic infection. She was admitted two weeks after Mother's Day and stayed there for a week. I immediately felt guilty, thinking it was something that I or the kids brought into the house. Carlisle said that it was just a cold that turned into a nasty upper respiratory infection. Because of that, she couldn't get chemo or get high on her medicinal marijuana. Once her oncologist gave her the go-ahead, she had another round of chemo on Friday of last week. She was admitted into the hospital again. This time for dehydration. She was released the day before yesterday and Edward had stayed over with his mom, helping her and taking care of her.

"Who's with her?" I asked.

"Emmett. He's taking her to the oncologist. They should be there now," Edward said. "Our fear is that the cancer is growing again. That's why the opportunistic infection attacked."

"I'll keep praying that it has spread and that she's with us for a long time," I murmured, taking Edward's hand. He pursed his lips, tears building in his eyes. A few tears slid down his cheeks. I wiped them away, kissing his cheek. "You want to fall apart, don't you?"

"I can't," he said, putting on a pair of sunglasses. "Not here. Not in front of my family." A few more tears slid down his cheeks."Sorry."

"Don't be," I said. "Are you going back to your parent's place tonight?"

"No. Mom is insisting that I go home. She said she's fine," he mumbled, his voice cracking.

"Why don't I come over after I'm done here and make you dinner? Spoil you a bit?" I suggested, rubbing his arm.

"What about John and Grace?" he asked.

"Since I have an institute day tomorrow, my parents are going to watch the kids. I can have my dad pick them up at the end of the school day," I said, picking up my cell phone. Edward's brows furrowed. "Or I can just leave you be..." I got up from the table, carrying my trash and tossed it in the garbage. I saw two boys fighting over a basketball and I waded in between them, diving into work and trying to ignore the pain I felt. When one of the boys swatted at the other, I waved down Alice and we went into the office to deal with them. Both boys apologized to each other. We kept them inside for the remainder of the day, working on some busy work. I stayed with them, avoiding my own troubles.

At the end of the day, the entire staff waved as the buses pulled away and parents left the car lane. We wished the fifth graders best of luck at middle school and told the rest that we'd see them next year. As I was waving to the kids on the buses, Kylieand Mrs. Kerr came over to me. After her suspension, Kylie came back a changed girl. She was diagnosed with ADHD withOppositional Defiance Disorder. She was medicated for the ADHD and was seeing a therapist, Jane, for her outbursts. "Ms. Black?" came the contrite voice of Mrs. Kerr.

"Yes?" I replied, giving her a smile.

"First off, I want to apologize for how I acted during that meeting. I thought that Kylie's tantrums were due to the fact that we had moved and not anything else. When I saw the emails from her teacher in Portland, I knew there was something more going on but wanted to sweep it under the rug," she said quietly. "I also didn't want her to have a label and a special plan."

"Those plans are not there to ostracize your child, but to help them," I said.

"I see that now," she chuckled sadly. "Kylie is doing well in school and we have you and Mrs. Whitlock to thank for that." Mrs. Kerr crouched down to Kylie, who had been quiet the entire time we were talking. "Do you have something to say to Ms. Black?"

Kylie bit her lip, walking closer to me. I didn't have in my class since I had become the assistant principal by the time she was allowed back to school. "I'm sorry, Mrs. Black. I shouldn't have hit you," she mumbled. "Mommy said that I could have been in real big trouble but you didn't do that."

"Kylie, you were having a hard time. We all go through times like that," I explained. "But it takes character to admit that you made a mistake and that you're sorry for it. You're a smart girl, Kylie. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll rock out insecond grade."

She nodded, handing me a large gift bag. I thanked her, looking back at her mom. "Thank you again, Ms. Black. You are a great teacher and I'm glad that you had the courage to stand up to me and Kylie. Without you, she would have never gotten the help she needed."

"Have a great summer, Mrs. Kerr. Don't sleep in too late, Kylie," I teased. The girl giggled, shaking her head. Mrs. Kerr guided Kylie to a large SUV and they drove off. They were the last family on the premises. The only people left on school grounds were the inflatable company and the exhausted staff of the Forks Puddle Jumpers.

Walking inside, Alice flopped down at the desk of one of the secretaries. She picked up the phone and made an all-call. "Attention all Forks Elementary Staff. Lock up your rooms. Go home. Have a beer. See you tomorrow at nine for check out and then..." she pressed play on the CD player on the desk and Alice Cooper's voice filled the halls. Cheers erupted in the classrooms and everyone scurried out. The song ended and Alice turned to me. "You have a visitor, Bella."

I nodded, looking at my office, which was still Mr. Banner's office. I just moved in a photo of my kids and a picture of my family. The rest of the décor was Mr. Banner's. He was going to remove it over the summer with the help of his kids and Shelly Cope. Alice hugged me before ducking into her own office. She shut the door and I padded to my own. Sitting at the round table inmy office was Edward. His nose was sunburnt and he was twisting his keys in his hand. I closed the door and sat down across from him. "I'm sorry for overstepping my bounds earlier," I said, trying to keep the waver out of my voice. "I'm also sorry for just walking away...I had a kid issue I needed to deal with."

"I know. I saw," Edward murmured. "I'm sorry for...pushing you away, I guess. Whenever Mom has these bouts of badness, I'm the pillar of strength. I'm pulled together for my mom, my dad, my brother and my sister-in-law. It threw me for a loop when you offered to be my strength. I'm so used to crying in the bathroom, beating the hell out of my punching bag or just drinkingmyself stupid. No one has ever offered to 'spoil me' during this whole thing. I didn't know what to expect and so I just shut down. The autopilot engaged and I managed to get through the day, but I knew that I hurt you. I vowed that I never would. Hurt you, that is."

"Edward, everyone deals with grief and overbearing situations in their own way. I don't want to make you uncomfortable. If you want to be alone, I'll respect that. I just see that you're exhausted, you're thinner and...I'm worried," I whispered. He sighed, taking my hands in his. He looked at me and his green eyes were dull, sad and empty. "What do you want, Edward?"

"I don't know," he said, blinking a few times and a single tear falling down his cheek. "I want to be near you, but I'm afraid my temper will scare you away. I'm so angry, Bella. Every time she has a set back like this, I'm afraid it's going to be her last."

"That, I do understand," I said, reaching across the table and wiping his face. "Why don't you come back to my place and I'll make you some dinner? We can talk. You can cry, scream...whatever you need to do. You were there for me, Edward. You've continuously been there for me and for my children. It's my turn to be there for you, baby."

"What happens if she doesn't make it?" Edward asked, his face heartbreakingly sad. "I'm not ready for her to go, Bella."

"I know, Edward," I said as I got up from my seat and wrapped my arms around his neck. "I know..." He gripped me, pulling me into his lap and his sobs tore at my heart. I was all too familiar with what he was feeling. It was too close to home. I felt it two years ago when Jacob was battling for his life. Pulling back, I took his face in my hands. "You're not alone anymore, Edward."

"Can I spend the night? I don't want to be by myself," he said, his eyes red and puffy. I nodded, kissing his lips softly. I got up, grabbing my laptop and keys. I grabbed his keys and held out my hand. He threaded his fingers with mine, following me like a lost puppy. I sent a text to my dad, informing him that Edward's SUV was staying on the campus of Forks Elementary. He replied, saying that the kids were playing some of the neighbor kids on the street and would be staying until Saturday. I was grateful for that since I wanted to make sure that Edward was okay.

Driving back home, I parked my car in the garage after a brief trip to Edward's house to pick up a few changes of clothes. I urged Edward to just relax in the basement. He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. He went downstairs and I found something that I could easily defrost for dinner. Keeping it simple, I tossed some of my frozen chili into a pot, setting the flame to warm and I went downstairs with Edward. I carried a bottle of water and some ibuprofen. I knew I was sore. Edward probably felt the same. "Here, baby," I said as I sat down next to him.

"Thanks," he said, pouring out two pills and using the water to choke them down. "I really am sorry for inadvertently pushing you away. It wasn't my intention, Sweetness."

"You're hurting and sometimes you want everyone around you to feel the same," I said. "I get it. I do."

"I should be fine by tomorrow. I have a shift during the day with your dad and then I'm off for a couple of days before I switch to nights," he explained. "My schedule is hectic until my birthday..."

"Wait, what?" I asked. "When's your birthday? Why haven't I heard about this before?" I poked him, trying to get him to smile.

"Because I'm old and thirty-six is not a good number," he snorted.

"Birthday...when is it, Cullen?" I asked.

"June 20th," he answered. "A week later, I'm going to the cabin in Vancouver for my vacation."

"Right," I blushed. "Do you still want company?"

"You want to go?" he replied, the first genuine smile creeping across his face.

"I do, but I don't want to be away from my kids for Fourth of July," I said. "They love the fireworks because my husband used to shoot off these amazing displays from our backyard."

"We could...drive up together when I head up there and then, come back to Forks for the Independence Day holiday?" Edward suggested. "I know that the school is closed for the month of July, but you could take some time off, right?"

"I'd have to ask Alice, but it does seem doable. I don't know the schedule leading up to the holiday," I shrugged. "Let me ask tomorrow. I want to focus on this birthday, Edward. What do you want?"

"You. In a bow," he quipped, wrapping his arms around me. He sighed heavily, leaning his cheek against my hair. "What this is my last birthday my mom is here for? She wanted to see so much for me. She wanted to see me get married, have kids, grow old..."

"I tell John and Grace that just because their father isn't with them in body, he's watching over them in spirit. Jacob will still get to see those things but from heaven," I said, rubbing my hand along his chest.

"Does heaven really exist or is it something to calm our fear of death?" Edward asked, his voice taking a hard tone.

"That's up to you. I believe that it exists. My husband suffered with pancreatic and now he's with his mother, watching over me and his children. He sent me you, someone who has brought me back to life," I murmured. "It's one of those philosophical questions that no one has the answers for, but I believe heaven exists, if only for my own well-being. I have to know that Jacob is happy. That he's healthy. That he's safe. Who knows, it may be a crock of shit, but it's what I believe." Looking up at Edward, his lips were pursed and his eyes were brimming with tears. "You can believe what you want to believe, but Esme, when she passes, which won't be any time soon since she's too stubborn to die." Edward chuckled, nodding. "When she does, she will watch over you. She will see you get married, if you hadn't. She will see you have babies. She will always be with you because you will carry her in here." I pressed my hand to his heart and massaging his chest lightly.

"What did I do to deserve you?" Edward asked, the tears spilling over onto his cheeks.

"The same thing I did to deserve you," I replied, kissing his tears away.

"I love you, Bella," he breathed, leaning forward to press his forehead to mine. "I never thought I'd find someone who would be as understanding and patient...about all of this."

"It's because, sadly, I've been through it," I shrugged. "There are days where I'm upset and pissed off, but then I remember that I have John, Grace and you. It's with the help and love of all of you that I get up in the morning. I love you so much, Edward.We're a family." His arms shot around me and he pulled me across his lap. He was trembling as he held me tightly, repeating that he loved me with his whole heart. He loved our family.

And we loved him.

xx PUTP xx

The next day, Edward was better.

And cuddly.

I didn't mind. I loved it really. He was suctioned to my side, constantly touching me as we ate breakfast. He thanked me profusely for 'spoiling' him and I said I'd do again, as often as possible. It wasn't much, though. I made him dinner, talked with him, held his hand and hugged him when he needed it. When we slept, I cradled him in my arms as he nuzzled my chest,listening to my heartbeat. Heaven knows I've done the same with him when I was upset.

In the car, before he went to his own truck, he kissed the shit out of me. I nearly melted in my seat from the heat of ourembrace. With a quiet whisper, Edward said that he loved me and thanked me for taking care of him last night. I noddeddumbly, all cognitive brain functions temporarily disabled. He told me that he'd be over after his shift and that he wanted to take me out. Again, I nodded. He chuckled, kissing my forehead.

I sat in my car for nearly ten minutes, trying to calm my horny self down. That kiss definitely caused some issues with my sex drive. It was commanding, dominating and fucking sexy. Plus, Alice started pounding on my window. "Jesus!" She giggled maniacally as I scrambled out of the car. ""You are the devil incarnate, Alice."

"Nah. Just wanting to know if you and Deputy Sexy have done the deed? Things looked icy there for a while but based off that kiss, you must have made up. Make up sex is the best," she snorted.

"No, Ali. We haven't had sex. We've shared a bed, slept together, but not have 'done the deed,'" I said as I allowed myself to be pulled into the office. Alice pouted. "Stop with the puppy dog pout. Even when we do 'do the deed,' I'm not going to tell you."

"Fine," she grumbled.

"Oh, I do have a question for you."

"Shoot, Hells Bells."

"Edward invited me to go up to Vancouver the weekend before July Fourth. I know that the school is closed during July, but those last couple of days in June, do I need to use sick days or what?" I asked.

"Here's the building schedule," she said, handing me a sheet. "We're closed from June twenty-fifth to July twenty-seventh. I'm going to an administrator's conference in New York that same week, coming back on July second. You don't have to worry about using your days. You're on vacation." Alice gave me an impish grin. "Do you think you'll do it then?"

"Ali-cat," I groaned.

"Okay, okay," she said, waving her hand. She made an announcement that we were having a brief staff meeting in the library, then a catered brunch around ten. After the brunch, teachers could begin checking out and enjoying their summer vacation. The office staff began assembling registration packets for our students and I went down to my old classroom, pulling down my posters and packing up my belongings. The long-term sub we hired for me was asked to return as a permanent addition to the staff. She offered to clean up my room for me, but I had to make sure nothing was taken during my time in the office.

I worked until brunch and then steadily until four in the afternoon. With the help of one of the custodians, Waylon, I loaded up the back of my car with my classroom decorations. Alice checked me out and I was done. Until Monday.

Edward and I have a date, a picnic on LaPush Beach. We lit a driftwood fire and lay on the blanket until the stars came out. We just talked, occasionally kissed and just cuddled. Esme was on the upswing, able to keep food down and had some color. I smiled. Edward wasn't ready to let her go. Honestly, neither was I. Esme had become a friend and confidante. Cancer was a cruel and vindictive bitch, taking good people from this world.

That night, we spent the night at Edward's. His house was different, bigger. I liked it. My little cottage that I shared with my children was amazing. It was a place for me to heal, but Edward's home felt like a new beginning or something. I was definitely a little more uninhibited with our sexual exploration. We still hadn't gone much further than the night of the baseball game, but I was much more vocal and we fell asleep in our various stages of undress. Edward was completely naked and I was in my panties.

The next couple of weeks, I worked diligently at school. The kids were confused as to why I couldn't hang out with them. Normally Mommy had the same time off as they did, but I explained that since I got a promotion, I needed to work more. Office hours were shorter, eight until two and we were closed on Friday, as were all of the district buildings. I jam packed the weekends with my kids, taking them to various outings, field trips and spending time with Edward and his family.

One Saturday morning, I was getting a pedicure with Grace. Esme was back, seated next to me. She looked thinner but her face still held its warm smile and her eyes twinkled. "What are you doing next Saturday, Bella?" she asked as Leah massaged her feet.

"I was hoping to do something for Edward's birthday," I giggled.

"It's Mr. Edward's birthday?" Grace squealed, nearly kicking Nia, the new girl working on my daughter's feet.

"Calm down, Grace. I'm certain that Nia doesn't want a black eye," I chided.

"Sorry, Miss Nia," Grace apologized. Nia chuckled. "Mommy, we have to get Mr. Edward a special present. One from me andJohn!"

"We will. We can go shopping after our pedicures. Would you like to join us, Esme?" I asked politely.

"It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a day with the girls. Sounds like fun," she smirked, pulling out her phone. "Let me callEmmett. He's supposed to pick me up when I'm done. Instead, we can go shopping at Port Angeles for Edward's birthday present!" She dialed her phone and we spent forty-five minutes strategizing gifts for Edward. He was a difficult man to shop for, according to Esme. He was picky and didn't like to have people fawn over him.

"I have an idea," Grace said as she danced in front of our seats in the salon. "Mommy, do you remember that scrapbook that Aunt Rachel made for you about Daddy?"

"Yeah," I answered. "You want to make Mr. Edward a scrapbook?"

"I think that's a wonderful idea!" Esme squealed. She took my hand and stared at me. "He needs to be reminded of all of the good. My son tends to dwell on the negative and I know that I won't be here forever. We can use pictures that I have at the house, moving to today. All we need is an album and all of those scrabooking supplies. We have to make it masculine looking,Grace."

"No pink?" Grace frowned.

"Maybe for your page," Esme giggled. "I think he'll be okay with that." Grace seemed appeased by that. We finished our pedicures and I helped Esme into the front seat. She was giddy with anticipation. Grace was chattering excitedly about what we could do and get. It was going to be a time crunch since we only had a week to get it done. Esme said she'd help with memories, but the scrapbook would be a gift from all of us. At the craft store, Grace skipped off in search of a perfect album while Esme walked with me. "I've been wanting to do this for a long time. For all of my children, really. This last bout of illness took a lot out of me."

"You're going to be with us for a long time, Esme," I said, hugging her gently. She smiled distantly. "Aren't you?"

"The cancer isn't spreading. The chemo is keeping what I have in me from getting worse, but it's the infections that are goingto get me, really. If I can't get my chemo..." she trailed off. "It will be swift, that's all I'm going to say."

"There are miracles every day, Esme. I pray that you are the recipient of a miracle," I murmured hopefully. She gave me a look but didn't say anything else. We spent an hour or so looking for papers, embellishments and such for this scrapbook. When all was said and done, we did fairly well. Grace chose an emerald green album that had a window in the front cover. Esme was tired and we drove her back to her house. Esme found all of her picture albums, going through them with Grace and me, despite her exhaustion. Choosing fifty photos, we divide them up to work on our pages. I was shocked to see photos from Mother's Day. There was a gorgeous photo of Edward and me, my children cuddled to our sides. Edward was cradling Grace, who was sleeping on his chest while John was snuggled to his side. Edward had his arm around me, his lips pressed to my temple and I was smiling softly with my eyes shut.

"You keep that one," Esme said. "I've got a copy and it's going in the scrapbook."

"Who took this?" I asked. "Who had a camera?"

"Rose. She saw that and went a little shutter happy," Esme chortled. "I've never seen my son look at anyone like he looks at you and your beautiful children, Bella. Now, we have a lot of work to do to get this done before next Saturday. Do you want to come over to start on this tomorrow?"

"Can I help, Miss Esme?" Grace chirped.

"I certainly hope so," Esme beamed, hugging my little girl. "We need to have a page just for you and John." Grace squealed, happily giggling. "Come over around eleven, Bella?"

"We'll be here with bells on," I promised. "Come on, pretty girl. Miss Esme looks really tired and we should let her rest."

"Kay," Grace nodded. "Love you, Miss Esme. I'm glad you're feeling better."

"I love you, too, sweetheart," Esme said, cupping Grace's face. My daughter smile, kissing Esme's cheek before she skipped out of the kitchen to get her shoes on. Once Grace is out of sight, Esme hugs me. She didn't say anything but I could feel her tears on my shoulder. Pulling back, Esme smiled warmly. "See you tomorrow, Bella."

"Call if you don't feel up to it," I shrugged. Esme nodded and I turned to go, my need to finish this scrapbook weighing heavily on me. My boyfriend needed this. So did his mother. I wanted to give them both something they would cherish, for however long they may be on this earth.

xx PUTP xx

EPOV

I was nervous. Very nervous. Tonight, the eve of my birthday, was the first night I was staying over while John and Grace were going to be home. Bella didn't want them to go to her parent's place because next Thursday, I was driving us up to Vancouver to spend an extended weekend up in my cabin. She felt very guilty about leaving the kids for more than a few days, but she hadn't had a true vacation since Jake's diagnosis. The woman needed a break.

So did I, really. I was working nonstop. Charlie was talking more and more about retiring and pushing me to run for police chief. Everyone knew I was his second in command, but being the boss? It wasn't like I could apply for the job. I had run, campaignfor it. As far as I knew, no one else wanted it, but it was an added pressure.

I was packing a small duffel bag after I got off my shift. I had showered and changed into a pair of shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Bella wanted to do something special for me tonight since my actual birthday was being spent with my family at Emmett's house. I knew my mom, my girlfriend and my girlfriend's daughter were up to no good. I always insisted that I never wanted presents for my birthday. I adore spoiling the ones I love, but getting gifts? Not so much.

Locking up my house, I darted to my car and drove the short distance to Bella's. Grace and John were outside, playing in the front yard. As soon as my car was turned off, they were at my door, dragging me to play soccer with them. They loved the goal game I came up with on the fly. I loved them both and seeing their smiling faces warmed my heart. In the backyard, Bella was working a large grill. Her hair was piled on her head in a loose bun. I barely got time to kiss her hello before I was inundated with soccer balls and giggling children.

"Mr. Edward, Mom says that tomorrow's your birthday," John chirped as he dribbled the soccer ball toward me. "What do you want?" He kicked the ball. I blocked it, kicking it back to Grace.

"Well, I've talked to your mom about this and my one wish is that you both call me Edward. Not Mr. Edward," I said, leaning forward, placing my hands on my knees.

"Mom, is that okay?" Grace asked. "You said that all adults should be called mister or miss..."

"It's fine with me," Bella snickered, flipping a steak on the grill. "Edward has his reasons."

John furrowed his brows. "Are you mad at us?"

"Gosh, no! John, quite the opposite," I said, walking toward the table set up on the patio. "I know that you call adults, using mister or miss as a sign of respect. That's awesome. I was taught the same thing. In fact, I have a hard time calling someone older than me by their first name because it's so much a part of how I was taught. Your grandpa, Charlie? It took me over ayear and a half to call him that as opposed to Chief Swan."

"Why do you want us to call you by your first name?" Grace asked, clambering onto my lap.

"Because, you guys are important to me. I want us to be friends. I appreciate that you are so respectful, but I love you both and it feels weird for you to call me 'Mr. Edward,'" I said.

"You love us?" Grace gasped, her little hands flying to her mouth.

"Of course I do, Grace," I said, smiling softly at her, brushing her hair from her face. "Both of you."

"Are you trying to take the place of our dad?" John asked, his eyes narrowing.

"Never, John. Your dad was an amazing man. I don't want to replace him. He's, honestly, irreplaceable. I do want to be your friend and someone you can turn to if you can't talk to your mom or grandparents," I explained. John kept staring at me, his eyes clapped on me. "Just consider calling me Edward. That would make my birthday special and all I really want."

"Grace, John, go inside and grab the potato salad, pasta salad and something to drink for yourselves," Bella said. Gracehugged me, nuzzling my cheek before bouncing off my lap. John followed his sister sullenly. Bella walked over to me, handing me a beer, sitting down across from me. "John will be okay. He's a thinker. He needs to analyze this request before he makes a decision."

"It's like he hates me," I frowned.

"He doesn't. John prattles on about you all of the time. He's proud to be associated with you. You're all he talks about at t-ball and soccer," Bella smiled. "Both of my children adore you." She kissed me on the cheek, walking back to the grill to take off the steaks for us and cheeseburgers for John and Grace. The kids came back out, carrying two bowls. John also had two juices pouches. "Can you guys also get ketchup and mustard?"

"I'll get it, Mommy," Grace sang, skipping back into the house.

Bella carried back a large tray, filled with two steaks and two hamburgers, along with grilled veggies and grilled corn. My mouth was watering as she laid the tray on the table.

"Why couldn't I have a steak?" John asked, his nose wrinkled.

"Because, it's not your birthday," Bella snickered. "You and Grace have sirloin hamburgers. They're like steak, but covered in cheese." She put the hamburgers onto buns, placing them onto their plates. Bella hands me the larger of the two steaks, some veggies and an ear of corn. "Even ours are covered in cheese. They're Greek steaks with feta and oregano."

"Smells delicious, Bella. Thank you," I said as I dished some pasta salad onto my plate. Dinner was delicious. But then again, everything that Bella makes is wonderful. When we were finished, I wanted to do the dishes since Bella cooked, but she told me to occupy John and Grace while she did the dishes. Grace asked to go to the park. After checking with Bella, John, Grace and I walked to the park around the corner from Bella's house. John was distant but Grace was chattering, constantly saying my name. Her tiny hand was clasped in mine, skipping happily. At the park, the kids saw a few of their friends from school and an epic game of tag ensued. I leaned casually against a tree, watching them.

One boy was being pretty rough with John. I recognized him as the son of one of our frequent fliers at the station. The father was a drunk and he was arrested for driving drunk, domestic violence and a slew of other things. However, the charges never stick because the wife would always recant. The only thing we could ding him on was DUI. He has a suspended license. Theson, it seemed, had obviously got his father's penchant for being violent. I walked closer to John, who was huddling as the boy, Jason, was pushing him.

"Your mommy can't save you now, Black. You're such a pussy. Always crying! Is it because your daddy abandoned you?"Jason sneered, shoving John.

"Shut up," John growled, his hands clenched in fists. "Just because I don't want to play with you doesn't mean you get to be a jerk!"

"Why would I want to play with you? You're a baby! John's a baby! John's a baby!" Jason shoved him toward another boy. "Come on, you baby. Hit me! Show me that you're not a pussy!"

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" John yelled, glaring at Jason. The kid just laughed, pushing John again. I saw the boy's father flirting with another woman, ignoring his son.

"NO! You're a fucking pussy!" Jason laughed, pushing John really hard into the playground equipment. I darted towards him,putting myself in between John and Jason. "Back off, man!"

"Do you want to be arrested for assault?" I asked, flashing my badge. "Just because you're a kid doesn't mean that you can't be arrested, Jason." His eyes widened. "Apologize. Now!"

"Jason, let's go!" slurred his father. "I don't want Deputy Cullen to take me in."

"Apologize!" I growled, narrowing my eyes at the boy.

"I'm sorry, John," Jason whimpered before he ran off to his dad. I glared at both of them. Jason's father grabbed his son's armharshly, hissing in his face.

Behind me, I heard sniffles. Turning around, I crouched down in front of John. He was holding his head, crying quietly. "Come here, little man," I said as I held out my hand. He took it, allowing me to take him to a picnic table. His cheeks were red and his eyes were puffy. I sat down, holding him in my lap. "What hurts, John?"

"My head," he said, his voice thick with his tears. I gently pressed his head, feeling a small bump. "Jason pushed me hard. And...and...and...my dad didn't abandon me!"

"I know, John," I said, wiping his tears. "Does Jason always bully you?"

"It got bad at the end of the year, during that family tree project," John whispered, cuddling to my side. "I couldn't give my presentation because I started crying when I talked about my dad. Jason called me that word ever since and he pushed me around when no one was looking."

"Did you tell anyone?" I questioned, rubbing his back, my heart breaking for this little boy. He shook his head, his face screwing up into a grimace. More tears leaked out of his eyes and he flung his arms around me. "Johnny...it's okay." I held him close, rubbing his back and feeling his tears soaking my shirt. Over John's shoulder, I saw Grace with Bella. Both of my girls looked concerned and understandably so. John was such a thinker and introverted. For him to show his emotions like this, he was obviously hurting.

"John?" murmured Bella, sitting next to me. "What's wrong, baby?"

He didn't respond, only clung to me tighter. I balanced him on my lap, just holding him and loving him as best as I could.

"Jason Rutherford was being mean to him," Grace answered. "He pushed Johnny. Edward stopped it though."

"Why don't we go back to the house and I'll tell you everything," I said. "John needs some ice because he has a bump on his head." Bella looked at John grimly, her lips in a flat line. She nodded jerkily, offering her hand to Grace. "Let's go home, Johnny." He nodded, tightening his hold around my neck. Scooping him up, I carried him off the playground as he cried quietly in my arms. By the time we got to the house, my arms were sore but John wouldn't let go. His face was still buried in my neck. Inside the house, Bella got an icepack. I took it, gently holding it to the bump.

"John, how long has Jason been teasing you?" Bella asked. John wouldn't answer. He whimpered, crawling closer to my body. Bella looked at me, her chocolate brown eyes beseeching me.

"During the family tree project. John never told anyone," I answered.

"Why, baby?" she asked.

"Because it would just make it worse!" John yelled, his face pale and angry. "I hate him, Mom. Jason is mean and he said that Dad abandoned us."

Bella shot up, storming to the phone. She searched through the school directory. I put John on the couch, kissing his forehead and telling him to keep the icepack on his head. "Bella, don't."

"That asshole is telling lies," she seethed.

"He is, but calling up the family will only make it worse. Jason's father is quite violent. I've seen bruises on his wife on the numerous domestic violence calls. If he can do that to his wife, imagine what he'd do to a stranger. He touches you, or John, orGrace, he's dead. No jury would ever convict," I snarled. "It's not right, but you can't confront this family. The boy is dangerous, as is the father."

"Can't you arrest him?" Bella asked.

"I threatened the punk kid, flashing my badge," I answered. "In fact, once we get John calmed down, I'm calling Child Protective Services. Have them do a random check on Jason and the family. It'll be anonymous."

"How will that stop Jason from bullying my son?"

"If it's bad enough, he'll be placed in foster care. Away from the man who is setting the example of cruelty and lies. But, if it continues, we can bring him in under the bullying and harassment statute. I can't be involved since I'm close to you and to your family, but charges could be filed, Bella. I would suggest, though, making sure that Jason and John are not in the same class."

"Kay," Bella sniffled, her tough exterior crumbling. I held her as she cried on my shoulder. John's quiet call broke us from our embrace. "I'm going to wash my face. I'll be right back."

I walked back to the couch. Grace pushed me onto the cushions, curling up to my side. John nestled to my other side, taking my hand. "I'm hungry," he grumbled.

"You must be feeling better," I teased. "You're wanting food."

John smirked. "I'm sorry I cried on you, Mr. Edward..." He closed his eyes and looked up at me. "Um, Edward. Jason has been mean to me for a while. You stood up for me. Thank you."

"I'd do it again, John," I said, kissing his head. "No one has the right to make you feel like that. You are not a baby or anything else. You're strong and brave. I'm proud of you."

"Even though I cried?" he asked, his eyes shimmering with tears.

"It's okay to cry," I soothed, wiping his tears away. Bella called Grace and she bounced away, kissing her brother after she disappeared into the kitchen.

"Edward?" John choked out.

"What, John?" I replied.

He crawled into my lap, hugging me tightly. "I love you," he whispered. "Thank you for protecting me like a dad."

And cue my tears. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat, John," I said, trying to keep my voice even. "I love you, too, bud."

We broke apart when Bella and Grace walked in, carrying a cake with candles atop it. They both were singing 'Happy Birthday'putting the cake on the table. I smiled crookedly. "Make a wish!" Grace squealed. I closed my eyes, wishing with my whole heart. I want my mom to see me marry Bella and make her and the kids my family. Blowing out the candles, I beamed happily. "What did you wish for, Edward?" Grace asked.

"You're not supposed to tell or the wish won't come true," Bella chided. Grace pouted, saddened that she couldn't know the secret.

"Can I have an extra big slice?" John asked, his tears forgotten as he gazed at the cake like it was porn. "I've got a concussion and all."

"Concussion my ass," Bella snorted. "But, yes, you can have an extra big slice." Bella handed me the knife and I cut up the cake, divvying it up among the four of us.

After we ate the cake, we all went downstairs to watch a movie. I was covered with kids and Bella was pouting. She hated sharing me with them. I missed cuddling with my girl, but John was suctioned to my side and Grace was a little jealous. Both kids ended up crashing and it took some wrangling to get the upstairs. Tucking them into their beds, Bella dragged me back downstairs. Pushing me on the couch, she straddled my legs. Taking my face in her hands, she kissed me deeply, her tongue massaging mine. My hands moved to her ass, pulling her closer to my growing arousal. Bella stopped, pressing her forehead to mine. "Do you know how much I love you?" she panted, her fingers toying with my hair. "Most men would have run away...but..."

"Bella, I love both Grace and John. Why would I run away?" I asked, caressing her cheeks. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I heard what he said. John needed that. I tried loving him enough for both parents, but it's not the same," she said, her voice wistful. "I think that deserves a special treat."

"What would that be, Ms. Black?" I asked.

"It involves you and me, upstairs, in my bed with my lips around your cock," she giggled. Hopping off my lap, she tugged on my hand and lured me upstairs.

"Who am I to refuse such a tempting offer?" I growled, nibbling on her neck.

xx PUTP xx

The next morning, I was dead to the world. I was clinging to a pillow since my bed buddy was noticeably absent. She had sucked me dry. Her mouth was pure fucking magic. All coherent thought had gone. Bella's lilting, sexy voice had to remind me to get dressed since we weren't alone. I pulled on a pair of shorts before using her breasts as my pillows. The sounds of giggles woke me up, but I feigned sleep. Two thumps indicated I had some guests in bed.

"His hair is a mess," Grace whispered, tugging on my undoubtedly riotous and sexed up locks.

"He's sleeping, Grace," John deadpanned. "It's not going to be perfect all of the time. Your hair is a mess, too."

"Is not!" Grace hissed. "I brushed it this morning."

"With what? A fork?" John giggled. Grace growled, crawling over me but I caught her. John's giggles turned into guffaws as I tickled his sister.

"Edward!" she shrieked, kicking her feet in the air.

"I was sleeping, Yappy McYapperson," I chuckled. "Quite comfortably, mind you. And my hair is wonderful."

"Half of it is smushed, Edward," John snorted, pointing to my head.

"So? It's the new look," I replied, running my fingers through my flattened hair. "All of your friends will want hair like this."

"That is sooooo doubtful," Bella retorted, carrying a tray. "Deputy, I love you, but that is not your best look, bub." She placed the tray over my legs. "The kids wanted to make you breakfast in bed in honor of your birthday. Blueberry pancakes with homemade whipped cream, bacon and fresh, homemade coffee." I sat up, the covers dropping to my waist. I wasn't wearing a shirt and Grace traced my tattoo.

"It's pink!" she said. "I thought boys don't like pink."

"Most don't, but I got this for my mom. She has breast cancer and it's signified with a pink ribbon," I answered, munching on my bacon. "My brother, my dad and Miss Rose all have this same tattoo."

"Did it hurt?" John asked.

"Like getting a bunch of paper cuts, but I'd do again for my mom," I smiled.

"Did Daddy's cancer have a color?" Grace questioned.

"Yep, purple," Bella replied. She went into her closet, grabbing a jacket with a purple ribbon pinned to it.

"Can I get a tattoo?" John asked, his eyes wide.

"When you can pay for your own bills and support yourself, yes," Bella responded blandly. "While you live in my house, sleep in my bed and eat my food, no tattoos for you. Got it?" John harrumphed. "You're eight, Johnny. You have to be eighteen to get a tattoo. You're a little young."

"As soon as I'm eighteen, I'm getting a tattoo," John said adamantly, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Don't make any decisions now, John. My family and I, we got this tattoo for a fundraiser and to support my mom. If she hadn't gotten sick, I probably wouldn't have gotten it," I answered. John nodded. They all watched me eat, which was a little disconcerting, but Grace wanted to know if her pancakes were nummy and John was begging for some bacon. Bella also sipped some of my coffee. I felt like I was surrounded by three very cute but impatient puppies, wanting table scraps from my breakfast. I finished my breakfast and Bella pushed her children out of the bedroom. Gently, mind you. She said that I had an hour to be ready to go to my parent's house for the barbeque birthday party my mom had planned.

I took a shower, washing my body and hair using Bella's body wash and shampoo. I felt like I was covered in her, surrounded by my girl. I wanted to repay the favor for Bella's wonderful birthday blowjob, but she wouldn't allow me. She said that it was all about me since I was the birthday boy. Shaving my face and attempting to style my hair, I finished in the bathroom. I dressed in a pair of dark wash jeans with a green button down shirt, with the sleeves rolled up. I added some cologne before packing mybelongings into my duffel.

Downstairs, Bella had Grace sitting on the stool in the kitchen. She was curling the ends of her hair. John was playing on his iPad, his ear buds in. "You look handsome, Edward," Grace cooed.

"Thank you, Miss Grace. You look very pretty. I like your dress," I said, tickling her knee. She was wearing a pink and purple dress with matching sandals. Her hair was half braided, flowing over her shoulders. Bella was in a jean skirt and tight t-shirt with a blouse over it. She looked gorgeous, casual and fun. Her hair was clipped back and wild, waves cascading down her back. I kissed Bella's neck. "You're gorgeous, love." Bella blushed, giving me a coy look.

"Okay, munchkins, we're taking Edward's car since I'm kind of blocked in the garage. Go with him out to the car while I grab my purse and camera," Bella said. She turned to me, kissing my lips. "I have to get Grace's booster from the Pilot. I'll meet you outside."

"Kay," I answered, swiping my keys. Both kids followed me to the car. John clambered in first, buckling his seatbelt whileGrace waited for her booster. Bella came out with the booster seat, settling it on the chair in the back. Grace got in and Bella helped her buckle. I started the car and once Bella was inside, backed out of her driveway. John was still playing on his iPad. Grace was singing along with the radio. Bella and I held hands while I drove to my parent's house.

Parking in the driveway, we go directly to the backyard. We could hear the sounds of laughter and the smell of grilledgoodness. On the expansive patio, I saw my entire family, along with Charlie, Renee, Alice and Jasper. I blushed, hating being the center of attention but I accepted the birthday wishes and hugs all the same. The party is in full swing. Everyone is drinking and having fun. Harry Clearwater and his wife, our dispatcher, Sue come over with their grandchildren. Grace and John were running around, having fun with Seth and Emily. I was grabbing a refill for my beer when Charlie nodded to me. I followed himto the edge of my parent's property, just overlooking the Sol Duc River.

"What's up, Charlie?" I asked.

"You're good for her. For them," he said, giving me a smile. His mustache twitching lightly. "I haven't seen those smiles or those squeals in nearly two years."

"I love them all, Charlie. John and Grace are amazing kids and Bella, she owns me," I murmured, looking back at my girl, whowas laughing with her mom and mine. Turning back to him, I looked at him in the eyes. "I know that we're nowhere near ready for this, but I want it all with her."

"Marriage?" Charlie smirked. "Two kids and a mortgage?"

"Yep," I chuckled. "Maybe even more kids?"

"She wanted more. She and Jake were talking about trying for another one when he got sick," Charlie sighed. "Obviously thatdidn't happen."

"She's a great mom," I breathed. "I know it's only been a few months, but I'd like to ask for your blessing, Charlie. I want to marry Bella. I want to be a father figure to John and Grace."

"You have my blessing, Cullen. Do you have any idea when you're going to propose?"

"No clue, Charlie. I'd like to be married before my mom dies, but I don't want to push Bella. She's in charge. It's her heart that needed healing," I explained.

"All of them needed healing, Edward. I'm just glad that you two found each other. All I ever wanted was the best for my baby girl. She's getting it twice," Charlie said, slapping my shoulder.

"Grandpa! We're getting ready to eat!" yelled Grace. "Bring Edward!"

"Soup's on," Charlie said.

I nodded, following him to the solarium, which had been set up like a buffet. I got to get in line first, loading up my plate with grilled salmon, a filet and a lot of various sides. We ate outside since the weather was cooperating. After dinner, all able bodied people played in the yard. Bella and Renee, with my mom supervising since she was tired, did the dishes. The sun dipped lower in the sky and another cake was brought out. I reiterated my wish from last night as I blew out the candles. Sue and Renee were going to dish out the cake while I opened my present. "You didn't have to get me anything. The party was enough. This was amazing," I smiled, sitting on a chaise lounge with my girl curled next to me.

My mom came out with Grace helping her, carrying a large box with a bright green bow on top. Handing me the present, Grace smiled. "It's from all of us, really. Miss Esme, me and Mommy worked on it, though. Miss Rose helped, too."

I furrowed my brow in confusion. Untying the bow, I lifted the lid and saw a large green album nestled inside. Picking it up, I opened it and saw my mom holding me as I was a baby. In my mom's elegant script, she wrote how she was so lucky to have me and that I would do great things. As I flipped through the album, or rather scrapbook, it went through my life, highlighting my most important moments, losing my first tooth, Christmases, dances, high school graduation, college graduation, my first day at Quantico, mom's first bout with breast cancer, my life in D.C., moving to Forks, Bella, the kids and two blank pages. The first blank page looked like a wedding invitation and the last one, more somber. Mom's funeral... On each page, there were notes and stories written on there, describing what my mom or Bella felt.

"Don't cry, Edward," John said quietly, his fingers wiping my tears away. "Today's your birthday. You should be happy."

"I am," I choked out, looking at my mom and then at my girlfriend. "This is the best gift ever. I...I...I have no words..." I looked down at the picture of Bella, me and the kids. We looked like a family. "I will treasure this always." Putting the book down, I walked to my mom and hugged her tightly. "Love you, Momma."

"I love you, more, my sweet boy," she whispered. "Happy birthday." I blushed, kissing her cheek. Walking to Rose, I hugged her, too. A lot of the photos from when Bella came into our lives were taken by her. She beamed happily.

The last person I wanted to thank was Bella, so I hugged John and Grace, whispering that I loved them. Grace blushed and John looked shyly at his shoes. With another hug, I told them that I was going to borrow their mom for a few moments. Placing the album back into the box carefully, I offered my hand to Bella. She took it, going with me to the same place where I asked for Charlie's blessing.

"I hope you aren't mad," Bella mumbled nervously. "Your mom and I struggled with what we wanted to get you. She was the one who suggested the scrapbook."

"Sweetness, that was the best present anyone could have ever gotten me. Seriously," I whispered. "I loved it. I love you."

"I love you, too, Edward," she said, wrapping her arms around my neck. As I held her in the cooling night, surrounded byfireflies and the sounds of summer, I realized three things. The first was that I was dating the most wonderful, loving and amazing woman on the planet. The second thing was that I wanted to be with her. All of her. I loved her with my mind, my heart, my soul and I wanted to show her how much I loved her with my body. The third? I wanted to make her my wife.

And soon.

A/N: Soooooooo...slight change of plans. No lemony goodness. I do apologize for that. I wanted to put it in here, but I'm at 10K words and I do not want to scrimp on the citrusy action. This chapter just ran away from me, but I think I like this better. You know? Now, there are no pictures with this one, but there will be in the next chapter. If you want to see the old pictures, check out my blog or tumblr. Links for those are on my profile. Type in 'Picking up the Pieces' in the search bar and any post with that tag will pop up. You can also find me on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation or on twitter: tufano79.

Up next will be Vancouver, lemony action, Independence Day and possibly a trip to Phoenix. Leave me some!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 77 19
Elena and her nonidentical twin Bella have decided to leave their warm home of phoenix where they live with their mother Renee and their step-father...
5.4K 328 22
Well as I promise there back. Edward and Bella are back. There love defide all odds. Edward does as he promised with the honeymoon. Now they have to...
5K 134 20
Isabella is 15 she has 9 kids and three on the way what happens when she meets the Cullen's will she fall in love with Edward or will she fall in lo...
1.3K 83 12
Being the new people in town was never easy, especially in a small town like Forks, a fact that Eleanor Beckett was well aware of. So when her son ca...