The Princess Bride

By kanne53

Keira has accepted Alex's proposal and she's ready to move on with her life. She has never been eager to beco... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
At First Sight
Happy Birthday, Your Highness

Chapter 17

343 17 0
By kanne53

Another month passed and nothing changed, but I decided not to truly worry until at least a full year had passed.

My resolve was easier to hold on to when obligations kept me busy, which was most of the time. But days like today were harder. It was my usual day to sit in the Great Hall and observe the king. It was boring and so I was able to dwell on things I shouldn't, which was bad enough, but being surrounded by the king's advisors was awful.

Given the formal atmosphere, none of them said anything directly to me, but the looks were there. The ones that said I was a failure and that Alex had made a mistake by choosing me. Most of them barely even pretended to like me. Oh, they would address me appropriately and be polite if need be, but only when absolutely necessary.

The only good thing about having to be here, was the opportunity to be near Alex. As usual he kept sending me smiles or would discretely roll his eyes when things were just so unbearably boring.

I probably shouldn't be bored though. The content was terribly uninteresting, but some of it had to do with me. Indirectly at least.

As part of my mission to attempt to help the lower classes, I'd decided to focus on one of the biggest problems facing the lower class in particular - food. Unfortunately, starvation was not unheard of in the kingdom and I thought that was completely unacceptable. Especially considering the amount of food that the rich threw away every day. As an alternative, I'd proposed that rather than throwing the food out, it could be sent to a central location where people who needed it could go and collect it.

Of course, no one had much cared for my suggestion until I pointed out that such a policy would greatly reduce the presence of rats and other vermin around the castle.

Unsurprisingly, the majority couldn't care less about the lower class and common decency, but they were eager to get rid of the rats at least. And so it was turning out to be an upper class effort, rather than just something we would be doing at the castle.

A few more philanthropic individuals like Papa had offered to donate money or food that wasn't just left overs.

Today's matters consisted mainly of individuals wishing to do business. Merchants and other business men were free to come make their offers to the king. Some had to do with my project and some did not. Which made it particularly boring. Trying to pay attention to the men who might have something to do with my project was hard enough, but I couldn't even seem to try with the others.

Alex caught my gaze and rolled his eyes, letting me know that he was just as bored as I was. I fought a smile and then nodded slightly in answer to his silent request to have a picnic in our secret room. Now that we were married and could be alone in our rooms whenever there was time, we didn't really need the hideaway as much, but it was still nice to have a secret place.

When I focused my attention on the matter at hand, a tall, rough looking man was approaching the king. I didn't think I knew him, but something about him was familiar.

Once he reached the king, he bowed as he was supposed to before the king motioned him up and waved him on to hear his proposal.

"Good day, Your Majesty," he said pleasantly. "I have come to offer my hunting services. My associates and I are able to catch fairly large amounts of any animal this country contains."

The king looked skeptical. "Any animal?"

The man nodded. "Yes, Sire. I'm not sure what your current needs are, but I've had great success with some of the more difficult ones such as elk and mink."

Now the king looked interested but I was no longer focusing on their conversation because I was struck again by that feeling of familiarity. Stronger this time due to the man's mannerisms and the way he spoke. 

Where would I possibly know him from? I didn't know any hunters, and rough as his appearance was, it was pretty clear that he must be from outside of the kingdom.

I stared at him, puzzling over it. It would probably help if I wasn't across the room. From this distance, I could only tell that he was tall with brown hair. Even from the distance, I might have been able to  see his features if not for his thick beard.

As he talked with the king, he shifted so that the sunlight reflected off of something shiny on his chest. With a shock, I realized that I recognized that little piece of metal - it was the locket that Papa had given me years ago and that I'd given to Reed!

I smiled realizing why he looked and sounded so familiar.

"Reed!" I said, completely forgetting myself and my surroundings, and promptly drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

Stunned and mortified by my mistake, I slapped my hand over my mouth as my face flamed.

Alex looked at me questioningly before exchanging a glance with his father.

"Keira?" the king inclined his head toward me.

Feeling my face burn even more, I stood and curtsied. "I apologize, Your Majesty. I forgot myself for a moment."

He seemed amused more than anything else. With a nod, he returned to his discussion with Reed. Reed, I noticed, was grinning.

Alex typically wouldn't approach me in this setting, but he was curious enough to do it at the moment. He stopped beside me and offered his hand, indicating that we should step through door behind us into the hallway.

"What was that about?" he said when we were clear of the room.

"I'm so sorry," I said, embarrassed again. "I wasn't thinking."

Alex shook his head. "Never mind that. You know that man?"

"Oh, I forgot. You never met him." It seemed so strange that Alex and Reed didn't know each other. They were the only two people on the planet who I ever really considered my friends.

"Reed is the one who brought me home when those men took me," I explained.

Understanding dawned in his eyes. Alex knew that story better than anyone. He made me recount everything to reassure him that I hadn't been hurt. I'd stressed the fact that I would have never made it home if not for Reed, but I guess he didn't remember his name.

"I suppose that explains it." He smiled. "I think I'd like to meet him. Perhaps he'd like his own country or something."

I laughed. Alex had always been a little put out that he hadn't gotten to reward Reed.

"Come on." He kissed my hand that was still in his. "Unfortunately we have to continue the torture."

Sighing I allowed him to pull me back through the door.

When we rejoined everyone, Reed had finished his discussion with the king and was turning to leave. Alex motioned for him to wait while he went to speak quietly with his father.

The king nodded after a moment and Alex stepped away, looking pleased.

"My son tells me that we have a hero in our midst." The king addressed the room.

Reed had looked curious, but hearing the king's pronouncement, he looked surprised. I wanted to laugh.

"Many of you know the story of when our dear princess was kidnapped a few years ago," he said. "This young man is apparently the one who saw her safely home." He gestured to Reed and everyone applauded.

Reed seemed uncharacteristically awkward and I grinned.

"My son and I would like to invite you to be our guest of honor for dinner this evening," the king said to Reed once everyone quieted.

Reed bowed again, looking uncomfortable. "I am honored, Your Majesty, but I do not live in the kingdom." I'm sure he wanted to get out of it anyway, but he had a point. Anyone outside of the kingdom would have to travel a few hours to get home. Waiting until after dinner would mean unsafe travel at night.

"You must also stay here in the castle as our guest, of course!" the king said. "For a few days, at least!"

I could tell that the last thing he wanted was to stay, but since it would seem rude and ungrateful to refuse, not to mention hinder his potential business opportunity, he bowed again. "Thank you, Your Majesty. I'm pleased to accept."

The king dismissed him, and on his way out he sent me a smile, somehow managing to make it sarcastic.

The session dragged endlessly on after that. Probably due to the fact that I was looking forward to seeing Reed tonight. What had he been doing for the last three years? Obviously he'd been busily working up a business, but did his offer to the king mean that he lived nearby? Would I potentially be able to see him every few weeks?

The prospect was thrilling and I didn't even try to pay attention to anything happening in the room until the king finally dismissed everyone.

Papa came over to see me as he always did. Usually he only had a moment before he had to go, so we didn't get to talk much.

As he gave me a hug, he said in my ear, "be very careful, Keira."

Perplexed, I pulled away.

"What do you mean?" I tried.

He only gave me an odd look before saying a few words to Alex who'd come up beside me.

They shook hands and said goodbye and Papa gave me that look again before turning to leave.

What in the world? I couldn't think of much in my life that I didn't have to be careful about, so what had he meant?

Alex gave me a curious look for my obviously muddled thoughts, and I just shook my head, pushing the concern to the back of my mind. Whatever it was, I could ask Papa later. For now, I didn't want anything ruining my time with Alex. There was so little of it already.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 323 32
A servant's daughter befriends the prince and finds an unlikely friendship. One that would be greatly scrutinized. Pushed and pulled, the prince has...
527 57 17
The Princess of the most powerful kingdom in the country embarks on a mission to undo a curse placed upon her parents, who have been asleep for eleve...
411K 23.3K 59
Sequel to The Vampire Prince goes to High School. It's been a few months since Rin and Alexander have dealt with Micah. Their contract is behind the...
4.4K 132 21
Why does Cinderella have to marry a prince? May Holden, an independent, expressive young woman, finds herself thrown into the deep end of Hollywood...