Finding Him

Oleh LeeleeKez

(Highest ranking #1 in historical fiction) For one simple and frustrating reason, Hadassah is unable to inher... Lebih Banyak

Prologue
1l Finding Destiny
2l Dasa
3l Grace
4l Valet
5l Meeting The Master
6l Sooner Than Later
7l Blindness
9l Convenience
10l Desire
11l Shackled
12l Seeking Your Hand
13l Journeying Together
14l Switching To Coach
15l Selfishly Demanding Love
16l Taking Away Chances
17l Being Right
18l Imagining
19l Dancing
20l Being Handy
21l Love
22l Secrets
23l Find
24l Gone
25l Marriage
26l A Surprise Guest
27l Stench
28l The Vow
29l Fire
30l Drowning
31l Living Again
32l Pleasure
33l Flames
34l Finding Him
35l Eighteen
36l The Luckiest Man
37l Bastard
38l The Kiss
39l Bedding
40l Alone
41l Italy
42l Deep Blue Sea
43l The Estate
44l Light
45l Victim
46l Marry Me
47l Missing
48l BlindFold
49l Kiss Me
50l Remembering
51l Enough
52l Home
53l Are You Blind, My Lord
Epilogue
Excerpt

8l Disinheriting

13.1K 1K 34
Oleh LeeleeKez

The last time Daniel Talbot summoned Dasa had been disastrous enough, the memory running through his mind for several days unending. He decided that evening, that he would not summon her again. Distance would prove to do them both good.

Yet, it was the memory of the evening he held her in his arms -the soft scent of her skin drifting into his nostrils, the warmth of her breath tickling his skin, the feel of her body pressed against his- that kept him awake at night and entertained during the day when he held a book before his unseeing eyes.

He tried to busy himself with things other than the memory Dasa's body held bound in his arms but with eyes confined to darkness and a nonexistent social life, it was all he could think about.

Even now, as his fingers found the thin page of the book and brushed it aside, he could almost feel the softness of her skin as his thumb trailed her jaw.

“Do tell me what has you so distracted, Daniel.”

He sat frozen for a second as he listened to his mother settle beside him.

“Once again, you are surprised at my presence. This is very much unlike you, you are never surprised.”

He smiled as she pressed her lips to his cheek, the dampness of her kiss familiar against his cheek.

“I was lost in a book.”

He felt her eyes on him, most likely beholding him in skepticism. Ignoring her stares, he reached out and captured her hand, bringing it to his lips and pressing a kiss to her knuckles. He noticed, as his lips brushed against her knuckles, that she was tense.

Releasing her hand, he rose a brow. “What has you worried?”

He heard her the ruffling of fabric and guessed she was smoothening her skirt, before clearing her throat nervously. “Your father and your brother are due to return tomorrow.”

“This is good news, is it not, Mother?” He hadn't seen Julius, his brother, in over a year and his father had been away for over a month. While he didn't exactly have a relationship with either of them, a part of him missed them and desired to hear their voices.

“It is.” She shifted to him and placed a hand on his lap. He sat waiting patiently for her to continue, knowing fully well there was something she was hiding. He couldn't see her face, but he could sense the tension in the air. After a long while, she released a breath and retrieved her hand from his lap. Her skirt ruffled loudly as she rose to her feet. “I will have someone bring in a luncheon, you look hungry.”

He heard her familiar footsteps retreat from the room. A confused frown settling on his face, he doubted he would be able to stomach food in that moment. For whether his mother voiced it or not, his father and brother's return would bring something he knew his mother wouldn't like, along. He just didn't know what that thing would be. He especially hoped it would in no way affect him.

•~•~•

Josephine Talbot forced herself to remain calm and composed for many days since the disheartening letter, penned by her own husband, reached her.

Not only had the letter left her trembling in fear, it had left her despising his arrival, knowing with it would come the execution of the contents of the letter.

He sought to disinherit Daniel! The thought alone brought tears to her eyes as she stood trembling on the front porch, awaiting the arrival of the carriage that would bring home her husband and second son. He would disinherit Daniel, leaving him at the mercy of his younger brother. Daniel's lack of sight would get in the way of his ability to be productive, he had explained. His lack of sight and his lack of a social life. Julius would do a better job, he had seen first hand his younger son's abilities in Italy and they far outweighed the abilities of a disabled older son, the letter had explained. He was returning to Birmingham to change his will to that effect.

She knew it was a foolish idea to condemn Daniel to the mercy of his brother. Daniel's inability to see did not render him useless. Perhaps it fueled his reason to remain trapped in his room, but it wasn't enough to disinherit him, was it?

The distinct sound of approaching horses' hooves and wheels against paved roads, reached her. Shuffling her feet nervously, she stretched her neck in the direction of the sound and found the approaching carriage.

She waited until the carriage pulled to a halt and the footman climbed down. Opening the door wide open, a head of full brown locks appeared. He climbed down and straightened, lifting his eyes up. A bright smile immediately settled on his face the second his eyes locked with hers and before she could return his smile, he was racing up the stairs of the front porch and gathering her into his arms.

“Mother!” His familiar voice carried into her ears, his arms squeezing their hold around her waist.

She giggled softly and patted his shoulder. “My beautiful boy!”

“Not anymore, Mother,” He grinned, pulling away.

She touched his cheek, brown beards that most likely was as a result of several days of travel without shaving, pricking her palm. Soaking in the familiarity yet strangeness of the boy who had left home over a year ago, she stared into his clear blue eyes.

“You have returned to remain, have you not?”

Smiling broadly, “We shall see, Mother. For now, I have returned and that will have to do.”

Earl Talbot appeared then, his wrinkled face a reflection of tiredness.

She would speak to him about his decision later, she decided as the party made their way into the building.

Dinner progressed in silence that evening, Daniel even agreeing to join them. Josephine was happy to finally have her family sit together and eat after over a year. Still, she knew, as her eyes traveled the faces of the three men that sat before her, that a war was brewing.

Daniel would never accept his father's decision. He might be blind, but even blindness was unable to make him dependent on anybody. She knew very well his decision to neglect his valet completely, insisting on his desire for independence.

Julius would no doubt find his father's decision appealing. He had worked for it, hadn't he? For several years, Julius had worked to help his father's shipping business grow. He had left home over a year ago for that sole purpose.

Earl Talbot would not take too kindly to Daniel's defiance and Josephine would unfortunately be caught in the midst of a family feud.

She waited until dinner was over, before rising to her feet and politely demanding that her husband joins her in the parlor.

It was obvious from the frown on Earl Talbot's face as he settled on the seat before her, that he suspected her reason for the meeting.

“Do not object to my decision, Josephine.” He went straight to the point, shutting her up as she opened her mouth to protest. “It is decided and it is what's best. Daniel will receive a yearly payment of two thousand pounds to cater to his every need. Julius will inherit the title and the business.”

“And this is best?” Josephine fought the tears that threatened to spill down her cheeks. “Disinheriting your first born son simply...”

He shook his head furiously. “I am not disinheriting Daniel, I am doing what is right for the family.”

“Then, let Daniel keep the title and with it, his pride. Julius may have the business...”

“Daniel is unable to bear the burden required of an Earl. He can barely hold his own in society. He hasn't been invited to many balls and when he is invited, he manages to disregard the invitations. He is of marriageable age but no woman of society is willing to marry a disabled man, no woman except a widow who is practically throwing herself at his feet. Daniel knows how much of a blessing his marriage to Lady Price will be but he refuses to comply.”

Josephine opened her mouth to argue, but quickly closed it once more, knowing it was of no use. The part of her that held on to hope that her husband could be reasoned with, slipped away easily and she was left seated on a couch before him, mouth agape and eyes wide.

“This will work, dear.” He sighed deeply, rising to his feet. “Daniel will fight for a while but will eventually see reason...”

“In what, Father?”

Josephine sprang to her feet at the sound of Daniel's voice by the entryway. She nearly fell backward when she turned to find her two sons staring at them; one in confusion and the other in anger.

“In my decision.”

Daniel's fingers curled into a fist at his father's admission.

“You of all people must see what it is I'm trying to say, Daniel.”

“Forgive me, Father, I'm blind!” He spat, indignant. “Blindness has taken my ability to reason properly and apparently, my very birthright!”

“Daniel...” The word died on her lips as he turned to her, pain etched on his face.

“I do not desire the title, Mother. I do not desire it as much as I desire my freedom; my freedom to inherit my father's business even if it is only a small part. How can you demand that I remain seated, useless by the side while my brother hands me monthly charity? My freedom to reject the title, not have it stripped from me! Not have it stripped like my very sight was stripped!” He shook his head. “If you will not give me that freedom, Father, I want nothing to do with your yearly fees! You might as well disown me.”

Copyright © 2018 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

*

A/N

I feel like this story is finally starting to take shape in my head and the plot is drastically changing!!! So excited for what's coming. It has been so difficult developing this story and especially difficult connecting to the characters but I think we're getting there.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

56.4K 2.8K 48
Pihu Sharma is a loving, kind, and sweet person. She belongs to a middle-class family who wants to marry their daughter to someone higher than their...
32.1M 909K 56
[WINNER OF BEST HISTORICAL FICTION STORY IN THE FICTION AWARDS] There is a story that has been whispered into ear after ear across many countries. It...
365K 25.2K 33
With her reputation in tatters and a baby to look after, Catherine Balley is given a single chance at redemption: marry the man she once betrayed, a...
157K 7K 34
Alexander smiled at her. "You are quite likeable, Emmeline, and I think we might one day be dear friends, but I doubt I shall ever wish to marry you...