Kings [A Medieval AU]

By AngelWingInspiration

[Based on the universe from "The Gifts We Share"] "You're making everything more complicated." Tenebris is a... More

Chapter Two - The Royal Family
Chapter Three - Plans and Arrangements
Chapter Four - Intruder
Chapter Five - First Meetings
Chapter Six - Incident
Chapter Seven - Uncomfortable Talks
Chapter Eight - New Allies and Big Decisions
Chapter Nine - Fresh Air
Chapter Ten - One on One
Chapter Eleven - Late Nights and Hardened Hearts
Chapter Twelve - Escape
Chapter Thirteen - Library Conversations
Chapter Fourteen - Light in the Darkness
Chapter Fifteen - Visitor
Chapter Sixteen - What Happened After
Chapter Seventeen - Parting Ways
Chapter Eighteen - Confrontations and Hard Decisions
Chapter Nineteen - The Moment of Greatest Weakness
Chapter Twenty - Out in the Open
Chapter Twenty-One - New Beginnings
Chapter Twenty-Two - Tortured Mind
Chapter Twenty-Three - Breakfast
Chapter Twenty-Four - On the Road
Chapter Twenty-Five - Revealed
Chapter Twenty-Six - Viride
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Meetings and Libraries
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Departures
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Deterioration
Chapter Thirty - The Breaking Point
Chapter Thirty-One - Clashing Kingdoms
Chapter Thirty-Two - Limited Time
Chapter Thirty-Three - Home Again
Chapter Thirty-Four - Talks with Mother
Chapter Thirty-Five - Finally Home
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter One - Two Opposite Kings

1.5K 50 96
By AngelWingInspiration

Daniel Howell, the king of Tenebris, hates early morning meetings.  Granted, most people  probably hate early morning meetings, but he seems to hate them more than the average king.  As his advisors and military generals converse and pinpoint locations on a map, Dan lounges back in his seat and watches black magic swirl around his fingers with disinterest.  His magic, a trait that every member of a royal family carries, resembles shadow with little flecks of gold.  He finds himself watching the way the golden flecks catch light and toss it back for just an instant before making way for more to come along and do the same, all the while dreaming of his bed and how much he wishes he could crawl back under his covers and get just a few more hours of sleep.

    His brown eyes flick from his hand to the men and women in front of him, then to the map.  Little flags stick out from the paper, from kingdoms like Viride, Rubellus, Divum, Occultatum, Terra.  Outposts and trading posts and routes are marked as well, adding even more flags.

The general of Tenebris' army, a stout, fierce woman, rests her hands on the table and watches the other soldiers with dark, serious eyes. "We have received no news of any possible enemies, but it is always good to keep an eye out."

    Dan straightens up and observes the map for a moment before leaning his chin on his fist.  "What of our trading partners?"

    "We maintain good trade with several kingdoms.  There is nothing happening that is of concern to us."

    "Excellent.  Is there anything else that needs to be discussed or can this meeting be adjourned?"  The advisors and generals look at each other, and when nobody says anything Dan stands.  "Alright.  You are all dismissed."

    Everyone starts gathering their things and Dan turns, his cloak billowing out behind him as he exits the room.  He strides down the hall, his crown glinting in the early morning sunlight, and slips out through the large front doors of the castle.  Most kings and queens would probably have guards to accompany them, but Dan has always hated the thought of being protected from his own people.  He should be able to walk among the citizens of Tenebris and speak to them without being guarded.

    The late autumn air is cool, making Dan glad he has his thick cloak on.  The fur collar rustles in the gentle wind as he walks through the castle's front gates and into the streets, where the town is starting to wake up.  A child races past with a water bucket, waving to Dan as she goes.  He smiles and waves back.  An elderly man sits on his porch and sips something from a mug, and Dan nods to him as the man raises his glass.  Every greeting he receives is cheerful, and his heart is warmed by it.  As miserable and lonely as he may feel sometimes, at least he has his people.  His advisors often scold him for going out and being among them so often, but he easily waves it off.  He would rather be out in the village than in the stuffy castle with a whole bunch of stuffy people.

    "Hello, Daniel!" Rose, an elderly woman who runs a small tea shop, says as Dan enters her little café.  "Come for the usual?"

    "Hello Rose," Dan replies with a small smile.  "And yes, if you wouldn't mind."

    The woman hobbles off and returns a few moments later with a hot cup of tea.  He thanks her and takes the cup, wrapping his chilled fingers around it and sighing as they start to warm up.

    "Oh, you're already so big, Daniel.  I remember when your mother used to come by when she was queen, and she would sometimes bring you.  Now you're the king."  Rose smiles and pats his arm with all the tenderness of a grandmother.  "How time flies."

    "You look like you haven't aged a day," he replies.

    Rose laughs and covers her mouth with a wrinkled hand.  "Oh my, you make me blush.  It amazes me that you haven't found yourself that special someone yet, Daniel."

    Dan flushes.  "It's not exactly the easiest process when you're a royal."

    "Believe me, dear, I know.  Your mother came in here many times to talk to me about that very subject.  Hang in there and that person will show up when you least expect it."

    "Thank you, Rose."

    "You're welcome, dear."

    He gives her a few gold coins for the drink and thanks her again before departing, heading back towards the castle.  Autumn leaves fall from the trees and blow across the pavement as he walks, the air filled with the smell of harvest from nearby fields.  Large carts rumble down the streets filled with grains and pumpkins and other assorted vegetables, enough food for an entire kingdom and for trade.  In the coming weeks, farmers and bards will be sent out to the trade posts and will return with fruits, coffee, and other things that can't be grown in Tenebris.  The food will be distributed, bought, and sold, and when winter comes everyone will be set with enough provisions to make it through the colder months.  It's one of Dan's favourite times of the year, and his strolls through the village in autumn never fail to make him happy.  His kingdom is thriving, after all.  What could possibly make him sad?

    His reminder comes as soon as he steps through the doors of the castle once again.  Advisors rag on him about spending too much time doing nothing.  His parents pester him about not running the kingdom effectively enough.  His little brother complains that they don't spend enough time together.  The weight of responsibility rests heavily on his shoulders, and when he finally settles into bed for the night he lies alone and stares up at the ceiling, just him and his thoughts.  Sometimes, he's tired of listening to himself think.  Despite the season and the kind people of Tenebris, he still finds that he's unbearably sad at times.  His own problems, though, can be pushed aside for the sake of the kingdom.  If his people are happy, he's happy.

    Usually, that's his last thought before he falls asleep.

——

    King Philip sits in his office, sunlight streaming in through the windows and heating up his back.  From that window, he can see the mountains silhouetted against the sky and Divum spread out below the castle, nestled among the hills and peaks of the North.  He likes gazing out at the scenery when he's alone, and he finds it unfortunate that he is currently not alone.

    "Sire, we have some concerns about the southern kingdom of Tenebris.  We have heard some rumours that are less than savoury, as well as some unfortunate facts. It has been reported that the royal family has magic that is black in colour, and we believe that this is cause for concern and that the people there may be under the control of sinister forces," one of his advisors states. 

    "On top of that, we believe that the resources in Tenebris will benefit the people of Divum.  The mountains is an unfortunate place to try and grow crops, and after a bad summer our smaller towns have very small amounts of food that actually survived.  It's barely enough to feed everyone, your majesty," the other says.

    Phil exhales, his blue eyes flitting to the window for a moment before turning back to the advisors.  "So if we go and conquer Tenebris, we gain resources and save the people from the rule of a dark king?"

    "Precisely."

    "Wouldn't a trade agreement be better?"

    "I doubt the king would be willing to make a trade agreement if we have nothing to give them in return.  And, from what we can gather, their defences are strong and they have no known allies.  This leads us to assume that they're under the rule of an oppressive monarch."

    "I will consider our options."

    The advisors bow and exit the office, leaving Phil to his lonesome.  The king stands and moves to the window, peering out at the kingdom below.  The lack of food in Divum is something that he had suspected and has just now been confirmed.  Due to the mountainous geography of Divum, food can only be grown in smaller towns farther out from the castle.  A particularly bad bout of disease mixed with a poor growing season has left Divians scrambling to find enough food to last them through winter.  It would be preferable to establish a trade agreement, but his advisor is right.  They have nothing to trade with.  And, in a kingdom filled with psychics and superstitious people, citizens will protest if he does nothing.  A king with black magic?  That alone will be enough to rile up his people and make them want to take action.  If he's being honest, Phil is a little bit skeptical of this mysterious king as well.  A royal with no military alliances?  Maybe he has no alliances because nobody wants to become an ally with a corrupt leader.

    Phil sighs and sits on the ledge beside his window, his light blue cloak hanging down to the floor.  His magic, a similar colour to that of his cloak, swirls around his fingers and warms his hands.  They had become slightly clammy at the idea of attacking another kingdom, and his magic helps to get rid of that cold, uncomfortable feeling.

    He takes a deep breath and leaves the room, needing some fresh air to clear his mind.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.4K 868 23
"It's like you're a whole new person when you forget to be afraid. And that person you become, he's free." ☾❀☽ When Phil was ten, he got lost in the...
2.6K 135 6
[complete] Seventeen-year-old Dan Howell never expected he'd meet the man of his dreams in an online chatroom. Six months later, he'd also never expe...
64K 2.7K 20
Prompt: “With Schools AUs it’s always Badboy!Phil with Nerd!Dan or Badboy!Dan with Nerd!Phil. That about a fic where both are bad, and meet behind th...
6.6K 141 8
This is just random one shots I wrote about one of the relationships I ship. PHAN. This book is totally out of my comfort zone because there IS BOY x...