Harry Potter and the Black Ro...

By Marauvdrs

A mute child is abandoned on the streets of London at the age of nine months old. There she is left to defend... More

Chapter 1 | The Beginning
Chapter 2 | The Quiet Child
Chapter 3 | Privet Drive
Chapter 4 | Diagon Alley
Chapter 5 | The Hogwarts Express
Chapter 7 | The First Night
Chapter 8 | Potions Master
Chapter 9 | Flying on Broomsticks
Chapter 10 | The Three-Headed Dog
Chapter 11 | All Kinds of Bullies
Chapter 12 | Halloween
Chapter 13 | The Quidditch Game
Chapter 14 | Happy Christmas
Chapter 15 | The Mirror of Erised
Chapter 16 | Nicholas Flamel
Chapter 17 | The Forbidden Forest
Chapter 18 | The Painful Scar
Chapter 19 | The Philosopher's Stone
Chapter 20 | The Farewell
Chapter 21 | The Intruding House Elf
Chapter 22 | The Burrow
Chapter 23 | Flourish & Blotts
Chapter 24 | The Flying Ford Anglia
Chapter 25 | Herbology & Howlers
Chapter 26 | Gilderoy Lockhart
Chapter 27 | Mudbloods & Murmurs
Chapter 28 | The Deathday Party
Chapter 29 | Slytherin Reputation
Chapter 30 | The Rogue Bludger
Chapter 31 | The Unknown Attacker
Chapter 32 | The Duelling Club
Chapter 33 | False Assumption
Chapter 34 | The Polyjuice Potion
Chapter 35 | The Very Secret Diary
Chapter 36 | Canceling Quidditch
Chapter 37 | Follow the Spiders
Chapter 38 | The Chamber of Secrets
Chapter 39 | The Heir of Slytherin
Chapter 40 | Her Own Voice
Chapter 41 | The Mistake of Marge
Chapter 42 | The Knight Bus
Chapter 43 | The Leaky Cauldron
Chapter 44 | The Dementor
Chapter 45 | Talons & Tea Leaves
Chapter 46 | The Boggart in the Wardrobe
Chapter 47 | A Very Lonely Day
Chapter 48 | Flight of the Fat Lady
Chapter 49 | Malfoy & Black
Chapter 50 | A Grim Defeat
Chapter 51 | The Marauder's Map
Chapter 52 | The Upended Man
Chapter 53 | A Patronus Charm
Chapter 54 | Seeing Pettigrew
Chapter 55 | Professor Trelawney's Prediction
Chapter 56 | The Hippogriff's Fate
Chapter 57 | The Servant of the Dark Lord
Chapter 58 | The Power of the Time Turner
Chapter 59 | Expecto Patromun
Chapter 60 | The Firebolt
Chapter 61 | The Nightmares
Chapter 62 | The Quidditch World Cup
Chapter 63 | The Students of Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, & Durmstrang
Chapter 64 | The Unforgivable Curses
Chapter 65 | The Goblet of Fire
Chapter 66 | No Explanation
Chapter 67 | The Four Champions
Chapter 68 | Rumors & Whispers
Chapter 69 | The Hungarian Horntail
Chapter 70 | The First Task
Chapter 71 | The Parcel of Dress Robes
Chapter 72 | No Gryffindor Courage
Chapter 73 | The Yule Ball
Chapter 74 | The Golden Egg
Chapter 75 | The Second Task
Chapter 76 | The Remnants of the Past
Chapter 77 | The Third Task
Chapter 78 | The Graveyard

Chapter 6 | The Sorting Hat

6.5K 223 158
By Marauvdrs

The Hogwarts Express came to a halt on the tracks. The sun had lowered beyond the horizon a few moments ago, coating the sky in a blanket of darkness. The light on the train shone brightly through the night, lighting a way.

The half-giant approached the train with a lantern in his hand. He looked over the majority of the new students in the group. He raised his arm and motioned for the first year students to come forth.

"Alright then, first years. This way please. Come on now, first years. Don't be shy. Come on. Hurry up," Hagrid announced loudly.

The little girl placed her naughty ferret back into his cage, closing the latch behind him. She walked towards the luggage, placing the cage on top of some of her trunks. She stuck her finger through the bars, petting his pink nose gently. She waved her hand, saying a quick goodbye.

The students filed out of the train. They all wore the proper uniform as they stepped onto the platform. The little children walked towards the large man, they were the first year students. Harry and Ron quickly made their way through the crowd of students to stand in front of Hagrid. The boy with the lightning scar smiled up at him.  

"Hello Harry," Hagrid said with a smile on his face.

"Hey Hagrid."

"Right then, this way to the boats. Come on now. Follow me," he instructed. The children followed the large man to the boats, piling themselves into each one. For each boat, it allowed to carry five children. As they set sail, they looked off into the distance to spot a large castle upon the rocks. One could only assume this was the school.

The children looked over the dark castle with awestruck eyes, gaping at its monstrosity. The silver moon shimmered in the sky, casting reflections onto the black water. A fog hovered over the freezing water, giving the entire scenery a spooky feel.

Once they got out of the boats, the young children were directed towards the front gates. They maneuvered their way through the castle, walking up many flights of stairs. One of the professors tapped her fingers against the stone banister, looking down at her new students with observing eyes.

The new students walked up one more flight of stairs before stopping in front of the professor. She looked down at them with a pointy witch hat on top of her head. Her hair was tucked back underneath her hat so that not a single strand was shown. Her lips curved into a happy smile as she gazed at the new arrivals.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you'll pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup," Professor McGonagall explained.

Suddenly, there was a toad croaking near the professor's feet. The little boy who owned the toad looked down near her feet. His eyes widened in realization. He jumped forward, stepping out of the crowd to grab his little pet.

"Trevor!"

The boy looked up, staring into the professor's disapproving eyes. He muttered a quiet apology before stepping back into the crowd of young children. The professor narrowed her eyes at him, hesitantly continuing with her speech.

"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily," Professor McGonagall said. She turned and entered the large door behind her, leaving the children on the steps for a few short moments.

The children mumbled amongst themselves, talking in a low whisper. A little blond boy turned his head and looked at the boy wearing round glasses. He narrowed his eyes at him, placing his arm on the stone banister. He leaned against it in attempts to look cool and subtle.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts," the boy said. The children mumbled amongst themselves, whispering the familiar name multiple times in question. "This is Crabbe and Goyle."

He gestured to the two boys standing next to him, most likely his own little minions. The little blonde hair boy moved across the stairs, standing on the one higher than the other children's. He stared down at the boy with piercing green eyes.

"And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

The red haired boy standing next to Harry seemed to chuckle upon hearing the boy's name. The blonde haired boy turned his head in an instant, glaring at the boy with a sneer on his face. He narrowed his eyes at him suspiciously.

"Think my name's funny, do you? I've no need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley. We'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort," Draco said while throwing a glance at the red haired boy. "I can help you there."

Slowly, Draco raised his hand and offered it to Harry. He waited patiently for a simple shake. Hesitantly, Harry looked down at his hand with narrowed eyes.

"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself. Thanks," Harry said with a sassy tone.

In response, Draco furrowed his eyebrows together in complete confusion. The professor returned from the great hall. She reached forward and tapped him on the shoulder with a piece of parchment. He turned around and looked at her with cowering eyes. He slithered back into the crowd, standing beside his two buddies.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me."

The two doors of the great hall swung open widely. There were four long tables for each different house, packed with students wearing their uniforms. The first year students made their way down the middle of the room, following the professor. They lifted their heads to see a bunch of waxed candles hanging over their heads by the means of magic. The ceiling looked like the night's sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History," Hermione explained to the child with no name. The little girl's mouth dropped open as she stared at the beautiful ceiling, gazing at it in awe.

The children made it to the front of the room. There was one more long table that ran horizontally near the back. The teachers and professors sat behind the table, looking at the various new students.

"Alright, will you wait along here. Please?" Professor McGonagall asked, motioning to the front area. The students crammed together, looking at the different teacher and professors at the table in front of them. They whispered amongst themselves, taking notice of a few well-know professors.

The little girl looked ahead of herself, staring at the stool next to Professor McGonagall. There was a pointy hat on the stool, much like hers. The hat on the stool looked a little more worn and dry compared to the one on Professor McGonagall's head. It had the color of a dirty brown unlike the rich black color of the professor's witch hat.

"Now, before we begin...Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," Professor McGonagall explained. The children turned their attention towards the old wizard as he stood to his feet. Their eyes went wide in realization, recognizing the man from some of their wizarding cards.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you," the headmaster announced.

The elderly man took a seat in his rightful place. Some of the first year students furrowed their eyebrows in confusion, wondering what exactly could be in the Dark Forest and in the third-floor corridor. Young people seemed so full of curiosity nowadays.

"When I call your name, you will come forth." Professor McGonagall unraveled her piece of parchment paper, looking through the list of names. "I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses."

The professor picked up the hat off the stool, looking over the list of names. She called a few names and the children were sorted into their different houses. Each time a house was announced by the sorting hat, the other children at the tables would erupt in applause. They gladly welcomed each and every member given to their houses.

"Hermione Granger," Professor McGonagall said loudly. The girl with frizzy hair stepped forth, sitting on the stool. The sorting hat was placed on her head. The sorting hat moved around, thinking long and hard about his decision.

"Ah, right then... hmm... right. Okay. Gryffindor!"

The professor reached up and took the sorting hat off her head. The corners of Hermione's lips curved into a proud smile. She jumped off the stool and rushed towards the one table that erupted in applause, sitting amongst her fellow Gryffindors.

"Draco Malfoy," Professor McGonagall announced.

Upon hearing his name, Draco looked at his two friends next to him with a hint of fear in his eyes. He slowly approached the stool, sitting down. The professor lowered the sorting hat, but before it could even touch a hair on his head, it shouted its verdict.

"Slytherin!"

The Slytherin's cheered happily, clapping their hands in acceptance. The blonde haired boy smirked to himself proudly, sliding off the stool. He made his way over to the correct table, sitting amongst his fellow Slytherin's. The applause dialed down as the next person was called to the stand.

"Susan Bones," Professor McGonagall said. She looked around the crowd before spotting a little red haired girl stepping forward. She swallowed the nervous lump in her throat, sitting down on the stool to be sorted into her house.

A sudden pain coursed through Harry's veins, the overwhelming feeling stung. It felt as if someone put alcohol on an open wound. He placed his fingers over the scar on his head, wincing in pain. He lifted his head and looked at one of the professor's sitting at the table. The professor wore black clothing, long and dark. He had long black hair that reached his shoulders with a pointy nose on his face. He stared at the boy with glaring eyes.

"Harry, what is it?" Ron asked.

"Nothing. Nothing, I'm fine." He responded without taking his eyes off the suspicious professor. The man tilted his head to the side as if he recognized him, looking at the boy with a curious gaze. The sorting hat fumbled over his current decision.

"Let's see...I know! Hufflepuff!"

The girl jumped off the chair happily, walking towards the table with all the Hufflepuffs. The little girl looked behind her, wondering when she would be called to the stand. The professor looked down at the parchment in her hands, searching for the next student.

"Ronald Weasley," she said loudly.

The boy with fiery red hair swallowed deeply. He took a few steps forward, turning around to sit on the stool. The professor lowered the sorting hat onto his head. He looked up at it with fear in his eyes, afraid of the sorting hat's verdict.

"Another Weasley! I know just what to do with you," the sorting hat spoke in an almost threatening manner. Ron swallowed deeply, closing his eyes in fear. The sorting hat shouted its verdict, bringing relief to the boy. "Gryffindor!"

The corners of his lips turned into a smile. He breathed a sigh of relief, slipping off the stool. He walked towards the table with the Gryffindor's, sitting amongst the rants of his older brothers. They cheered to themselves, clapping loudly at the new arrival.

"Harry Potter," Professor McGonagall said. The room suddenly fell into a complete silence. At the mention of the familiar name, Professor Dumbledore leaned forward in his chair. His eyes searched the crowd for the boy who lived. Slowly, Harry stepped forward and walked towards the stool. He sat down on the stool as the sorting hat was lowered onto his head.

"Hmm... difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent. Oh yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" The sorting hat seemed to be having quite a hard time deciding on which house to put the boy in.

"Not Slytherin. Not Slytherin," Harry whispered to himself while closing his eyes.

"Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. It's all here, in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatnesses, there's no doubt about that. No? Well, if you're sure. Better be...Gryffindor!"

The boy opened his eyes, feeling a sense of relief wash over his entire state. The hat was taken off his head as he jumped off the stool. He walked through the crowd, passing by the little girl with no name. He stepped towards his proper table, sitting amongst his new family.

The sorting ceremony lasted a few more minutes with children being sorted into all four different houses. The sorting hat seemed more than pleased with each decision, shouting out the name of the house the child belonged to. However, as time went on, the little girl with no name stood amongst the last few children to be called to the stand.

"Ravenclaw!" The sorting hat shouted. The little boy jumped off the stool, racing towards the table that cheered for him happily. The little girl's eyes followed the boy, thinking that he had found his rightful place in the world. She turned her head back to the professor, seeing that she was the last one standing.

The children in the room stared at the little girl with no name, whispering amongst themselves in wonder and question. The professor lowered the sorting hat onto the stool, rolling up her piece of parchment paper for there were no more names left to read. She looked down at the little girl, tiling her head to the side in confusion.

"Come here, child." Professor McGonagall said, motioning for the girl to come forward. She walked up the steps, standing in front of her professor. The elderly woman could tell exactly who she was by the looks of her tattered clothing and unkept hair. There were still smudges of dirt on her face and her hands were dirty.

The professor reached down and touched the small tag strapped across her chest, raising it upwards to read the fine print. Her lips curved into a sympathetic smile as she read over the small lettering. She looked down at the little girl, nodding her head in acknowledgment.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, little one."

Slowly, Professor McGonagall raised her hand and motioned towards the stool. She picked up the sorting hat, giving the little girl some space to sit down on the chair. The children sitting down looked at the little girl with hopeful eyes, wondering which house she would be apart of. The sorting hat was lowered onto her head.

"Hmm...yes. I see it now. The child with no name has come to the stand. Where to put you might I ask? Hmm...it seems as though you have never lived in a place that you can call your home. You have never had a family of your own. Whatever house I choose for you, that will be your new family."

Professor McGonagall sucked in a breath of air, hoping that the sorting hat would place her in the right house. The little girl looked down at her hands in her lap, patiently waiting to be sorted into her new house.

"You will grow up with those people. You will grow up to be just like them. You lack all the characteristics one needs in order to be placed into a house. And yet...here you are with the sorting hat on your head, waiting to find out who your new family will be. You are a clean slate, destined for a fresh start," the sorting hat stated.

The little girl could feel the tears brimming in her eyes, threatening to fall at any given moment. The professors and teachers leaned forward in their chairs, anxious to hear the verdict. The sorting hat hummed to himself, thinking of all the likely possibilities.

"You are nothing. You have always been nothing. You have always been a complete nobody to the world. But you will be something very soon," the sorting hat said. A single tear dripped down her face, but she quickly wiped it away with her hand. Though the small action did not go unnoticed. "I think...I think I shall choose...hmm...the decision is difficult...I choose...Gryffindor!"

However, the entire room stayed in a dead silence. All eyes were set on her, staring at the sad excuse of a witch. The sorting hat was taken off her head by the professor. She slipped off the seat, lowering her head in embarrassment. The tears were threatening to burst forth at any second, it was only a matter of time before...

A single clap sounded through the room, followed by a few more from that single person. The little girl raised her head, looking straight at the Gryffindor table. Her eyes widened slightly as she saw Harry standing to his feet, clapping for her with a proud smile on his face. A few more children stood to their feet, clapping their hands together in triumph.

In a few seconds, the entire Gryffindor table was standing to their feet, cheering and clapping louder than they had for anyone else. Suddenly, a few children from the Ravenclaw table sprung to their feet. Their pressed their hands together, adding to the applause. The entire table stood to their feet, cheering and clapping for her assortment. The Hufflepuffs jumped to their feet, whooping and hollering with proud smiles on their faces. Finally, a few Slytherins leaped to stand, joining the room in a loud applause.

All four tables stood to their feet, clapping loudly and cheering happily. The little girl turned her head, looking to see all the professors and teachers clapping as well. They stood to their feet, nodding their heads in acceptance. Her eyes drifted towards Professor Dumbledore as he gave her a small nod of approval. His lips curved into a proud smile.

The little girl didn't seem to take notice of one professor frowning down at her. It seemed as though Professor Snape was reluctantly clapping his hands, staring at her with an ugly frown on his face. He could only think about how she had so much potential to be something great. Instead, she was sorted into the one house he just couldn't bare to stand.

A loud whistle erupted from the half giant in the room. The girl's eyes drifted towards her new friend, smiling at how hard the half-giant was clapping his hands. He waved at her with a broad smile on his face. Her lips lifted into a happy smile as she gazed at him with tear filled eyes.

The two Weasley boys shouted loudly, pumping their fists into the air in a form of victory. Even Ron and Hermione clapped in triumph at the mention of their little friend joining their group. The little boy named Neville flashed a toothy smile at the girl, more than happy that she would be in the same house as him. In the midst of all the unfamiliar faces, the little girl looked over at Harry with beaming eyes. He nodded his head, mentally stating that he was more than pleased with the house she was sorted into.

A few unrecognizable Slytherin's rolled their eyes in annoyance, clapping their hands together reluctantly. The Gryffindors waved their fists into the air, shouting above all the other houses. Even Mr Filch was standing near the back door, rolling his eyes as he moved his hands to clap together. The Ravenclaws looked towards the small girl with happy smiles on her faces. And the Hufflepuffs clapped their hands in a loud form of acceptance, raising their voices a little higher than most people in the room.

The little girl jumped down from the stand, rushing towards her table as they welcomed her with wide open arms. She crashed in Harry, wrapping her arms around his body and holding him tightly. He hugged her back, nuzzling his face into the crook of her neck. The applause had not come to a halt.

She could feel the tears streaming down her face. She pulled away from the little boy, nodding her head towards her fellow Gryffindors in a form of acknowledgement. Her lips curved into a broad smile as she gazed at some familiar and unfamiliar people in her house. She finally had a place in the world. She finally had a place were she belonged. She finally had a family of her own.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.4K 1.7K 44
Y/N L/N is a pure-blood wizard living a peaceful life with his parents and younger siblings. That was until his mother died at the hands or should I...
71.5K 1.9K 16
You are Y/N L/N and you're a wizard! Your 11th birthday is creeping closer and you can't help but be overjoyed. But around the corner lurks the great...
80.9K 1.7K 19
Y/n is an eleven-year-old girl who lives in the Burrow with the rest of the Weasleys. Her life would change forever when she got into Hogwarts School...
373K 13.4K 34
Y/N: Your Name L/N: Last Name H/C: Hair Colour E/C: Eye Colour S/C: Skin Colour F/C: Favorite Colour F/F: Favorite Food ...