The Princess Bride

Por kanne53

Keira has accepted Alex's proposal and she's ready to move on with her life. She has never been eager to beco... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
At First Sight
Happy Birthday, Your Highness

Chapter 4

514 19 0
Por kanne53

"Who is that girl?" I asked Roberta, and gestured to the lovely girl with soft dark curls, across the room.

She was apparently staying in the castle for some reason, but there were so many people here all the time for various reasons, that I didn't bother to wonder at most of them. Some were special guests of the king and queen. Some had lengthy business matters to discuss. Some of the guards and advisors occasionally had their families here for periods of time. And sometimes there were visitors from other kingdoms.

Eventually, I would have to know who most people were, but at the moment, it seemed like an unnecessary headache.

I'd noticed the girl before, but she usually seemed out of place and I couldn't guess why she was here. She was young, maybe sixteen or seventeen, and aside from her maid, she was almost always alone. She also seemed sad.

At the moment, the king was hosting a minor event in the ballroom and nearly everyone in the castle was expected to attend.

Alex was in the middle of some business discussion, and so I was left to Roberta's care. This was, more or less, intended as a leisure event, but Roberta still managed to turn it into a lesson.

I'd grown distracted, however, and had begun wondering about the dark-haired girl again. She was standing alone, leaning against the wall, and looking morose.

"I believe her name is Madeline Rinaldi," Roberta said, sounding uncharacteristically distracted.

She was about to launch into another speech about some horribly boring but necessary subject, but I spoke again before she could start.

"Where did she come from?" I asked, still watching the girl.

"I'm not sure," Roberta said cautiously. "I believe her family lives a distance away."

"Odd that she's here alone," I mused. "Is her father titled?"

"I...do not know, My Lady."

Roberta's uncertainty got my attention. There was very little that went on in the castle without her knowledge. So why was she feining ignorance now?

I could demand that she tell me what she knew....but I didn't want to be that way. People should be allowed to have reservations if they chose. Besides, that girl had nothing to do with me. I was simply curious.

Shaking my head, I resolved to forget it, and allowed Roberta to continue with her teaching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keira,
I'm sorry that I cannot meet you this afternoon as planned. Business today is extensive and no one seems eager to compromise in the least. I'm afraid I will have to miss lunch entirely, so please go ahead without me. Perhaps we can plan another picnic tomorrow.
Love, Alex

With a sigh, I folded the letter and stowed it in my pocket. Roberta, unaware until that moment that I could read, gave me an odd look, and I was grateful that Alex had chosen to communicate that way. If he'd sent someone with and audible message, Roberta would be aware of the situation and she might make me keep working.

"The prince wishes me to meet him," I said, standing. It wasn't technically a lie. If Alex hadn't been busy, I know he would have wanted me to join him.

Roberta still seemed surprised, but nodded and I quickly left the room.

Automatically, I began walking toward the dining room, but I slowed after a moment, realizing that I had no desire to go there. I'd eaten a little as part of my lessons this morning, but even if I hadn't, I still wasn't entirely comfortable dining with the royal family. It would only be the princesses and their mother this afternoon, but that didn't make me any more eager to awkwardly sit with them. I just wasn't hungry enough to brave that without Alex. Besides, I rarely got any time to myself. An hour with no obligations, where I was free to do as I wished, sounded like Heaven.

Changing directions, I made my way outside and happily blinked in the warm sunshine. It seemed unbelievable that it had been more than a week since I'd been outdoors. Would this be normal now? Only seeing the sun and breathing fresh air occassionally?

Acknowledging the guards at the door with a smile, I began walking down the path toward the gardens. As with everything in the castle, the gardens were immaculate. There were so many wonderful colors and aromas, and all beautifully tended of course. But as I sat on the stone bench, I was annoyed that it didn't feel quite right. This wasn't nearly as relaxing as I'd imagined when I thought to come here.

After a moment, I realized the problem. Apparently, I was becoming accustomed to being watched every second, because I hadn't noticed for several minutes that I wasn't actually alone. Guards were stationed everywhere on the grounds. They weren't doing anything that should bother me, but it was irritating that there was almost nowhere I could go to truly be alone.

I could go to the secret room, I suppose, but I didn't want to return to the castle so soon. Instead, I decided to go to the stables. That had been another favorite area of mine as a child. There would still be servants around, but at least the horses would be there as well.

"Did you wish to go for a ride, My Lady?" the servant bowed as I approached the stables.

"I only want to visit the horses." I smiled.

"Yes, Miss." He nodded and gestured me inside.

"If it's not too much trouble," I said stopping before I went inside. "I'd appreciate some time alone."

"No trouble at all, My Lady," he said before calling to the other man who was in the process of shoveling hay, and motioning for him to leave.

"Thank you," I said as they cleared out, supressing a grin at their shocked expressions upon hearing those words.

I gave each of the horses a handful of food and scratched their heads as I proceeded through the stables, but I was really only interested in spending time with Duchess. She wasn't very remarkable looking, but she had the sweetest temperament of all the horses.

"Hey, girl," I said as I held out a handful of food to the chestnut mare. "Did you miss me?"

Duchess happily gobbled up the food and then nuzzled my hand in greeting.

I was about to grab a little more food when movement to the left, caught my eye. When I turned, I was surprised to see the girl, Madeline watching me with widened eyes. She sat near the wall on a wooden bench, with a notebook in her hands.

"Oh hello," I said, pulling my hand back before I brushed it off on my skirt. "I didn't realize anyone was in here."

"I'm terribly sorry," she said nervously, closing her notebook and gathering up her few other possessions. "I'll leave you alone."

"Don't be silly," I said, taking a few steps in her direction. "You don't have to go anywhere. I wanted some space from the guards," I admitted. "But I don't mind if you stay. Besides, you were here first." I smiled in an attempt to put her at ease.

With an awkward smile, she put her things back down and watched the floor, uncomfortably.

Was she always so nervous?

"You're Madeline, aren't you?" I asked.

"Yes, My Lady." She briefly met my eyes, but then fixed her gaze on the floor again.

"Keira, please." I waved off the formality. "What were you doing?"

Wondering what I meant, she looked up, and I glanced pointedly at her notebook. It was almost unheard of for women to read the way I did. For a moment, I was excited by the prospect of meeting someone else who shared my love of words. The book she held wasn't for reading, but she might have been writing something.

"Oh." She glanced at the book in her lap, with an embarrassed little smile. "It's nothing. Just a hobby really."

When I only watched her curiously, she added, "I like to draw."

"May I see?" I asked, interested.

Still seeming embarrassed, she obliged and held out her book. I hoped that she didn't think my request was a demand, but I was so curious that I almost didn't care.

Eagerly, I went to take the book and flipped open the cover. A flawless pencil drawing of a house in an open field was on the first page.

"You drew this?" I said in awe, staring at the paper. It was better than some of the professional pictures I'd seen. The woman, standing in the doorway, looked so real.

I glanced up at Madeline and she just smiled shyly.

"It's very good," I said honestly.

Her face flushed a little, but otherwise she didn't respond.

Returning my attention to the notebook, I began flipping through the pages and walked the few feet to sit beside Madeline on the bench. She had drawn so many lovely pictures. There were dogs and cats, various flowers, a sunset, the castle, an apple tree in bloom, birds, and many other things. I couldn't believe how realistic everything looked.

The last page in the book contained a half-finished drawing of a horse. Clearly that was the one she'd been working on when I interrupted her.

Smiling, I handed the book back to her. "Those are amazing," I told her. "You are very talented."

"Thank you," she said shyly, taking her book back. "My father doesn't think it's very ladylike, but I love it."

"Well, I love to read." I laughed. "And no one thinks that's very ladylike."

Madeline giggled.

"Is your father staying in the castle?" I asked. "I've never seen you with anyone but your maid."

For some reason, my question startled her and she seemed nervous again.

"Not that I've been watching you," I hurried to assure her. "But some of those functions are terribly boring. I can't help but notice the individuals who are having as much fun as I am."

She still seemed uncomfortable, but laughed a little.

"I feel very out of place," she admitted. "I never dreamed I'd be attending functions at the castle so often. Let alone by myself."

I wondered again why she was here, but asking so would probably make her nervous again.

"I've grown up at those sorts of functions, and I still feel out of place," I joked. "Especially when Alex is engaged in business discussions and leaves me on my own.

Despite my attempt to put her at ease, something I said still made her uncomfortable. She avoided my eye and fidgeted with the pencil in her hand.

"Why are you by yourself?" I asked, even though I knew it would probably only make her more guarded. But honestly, it seemed that anything I said had that effect, and I was really curious.

"Do you not wish to return home, if you feel out of place here?" I wondered.

Her cheeks flushed again, confusing me even more.

"I am supposed to be...working," she said cautiously. "Only I can't do what I'm supposed to, and I don't really want to anyway. But I'm afraid of what my father might do if I...fail."

How sad for this girl. She clearly didn't want to be here, but she was scared to go home.

"I'm sure he'll understand," I tried. "I mean, if you aren't able to do whatever it is...he shouldn't blame you."

When she met my eyes, it was crystal clear that that wasn't true. Again, I thought how sad that must be. I'd never been afraid of Papa that way. He was strict in a lot of ways, but he was also fair and understanding.

"He will." She sighed sadly.

"Well, maybe Alex can-"

"No!" Her eyes went wide and she looked panicked.

At my curious look, she shook her head and glanced down. "No, that's alright." She sounded much calmer. "I'll figure something out. You don't need to involve the prince."

"Alright." I was confused, but I suppose it was her decision.

We sat awkwardly for another moment before I sighed and stood. "I suppose I should be getting back. Princess lessons and all." I made a face and Madeline smiled a little.

"It was nice to meet you," I said. "Let me know if you change your mind about..."

As I should have expected, she seemed uneasy again.

"Well, about anything."

She forced another smile and I left her alone, wondering what in the world she was supposed to be doing here. 

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

Evangeline Por kanne53

Novela Juvenil

3.5K 231 20
Evie is no stranger to obligation. When you're born a princess, your every day is an obligation. Evie has grown up fulfilling requirements, being con...
330 48 22
Alexandra is a fierce yet lively princess. She is athletic and has been raised as a prince, with the same education and military training. Alexandra...
80.7K 1.7K 41
UPDATE!! BOOK II: BOUND TO HIM IS NOW AVAILABLE!! NEW CHAPTER POSTED EVERY THURSDAY!!! *** It was supposed to be a simple trade off with her father b...
407K 23.2K 59
Sequel to The Vampire Prince goes to High School. It's been a few months since Rin and Alexander have dealt with Micah. Their contract is behind the...