The Wand and The Scepter

By BradYounie

Strong-willed Perpugilliam Atwood, a witch living among Muggles in 19th-Century London, goes to work at the M... More

Author's Note
Chapter One - Another Day at the Ministry
Chapter Two - A Special Assignment
Chapter Three - Welcome to Cairo
Chapter Four - The Drunken Sphinx
Chapter Five - Disciples of Horus
Chapter Six - Consequences
Chapter Seven - A Message in Blood
Chapter Eight - The Nile
Chapter Nine - The Caravan
Chapter Ten - The Call of Mighty Anubis
Chapter Eleven - Catastrophe
Chapter Twelve - A First Glimpse of Nekhneten
Chapter Thirteen - A Closer Look
Chapter Fourteen - Unexpected Guests
Chapter Fifteen - Mr. Barnabus Goes to Work
Chapter Sixteen - The Curse of the City
Chapter Seventeen - The Siege of Nekhneten
Chapter Eighteen - Consort of a God
Chapter Nineteen - To Kill a God
Chapter Twenty-One - The Temple of Anubis
Chapter Twenty-Two - The Tale of Kemsekhem
Chapter Twenty-Three - Return to Cairo
Chapter Twenty-Four - Farewell to Egypt

Chapter Twenty - The Villainous Mr. Hamm

26 5 0
By BradYounie

Perri stared at the fallen god, refusing at first to believe he was defeated.

Rowan and Albion stood among the rubble of the old palace, and Eudo and Arati had come around one side of it. The large Auror was pale and limped as he approached the body of their enemy. He felt for a pulse.

Thaddeus knelt beside the body and carefully wrapped the scepter in a special cloth. Drawing an empty sack from his robes, he gently slid the artifact inside.

Rowan looked up at Perri.

"He's dead."

Arati, as though relieved of duty, fell to the ground.

Everyone ran to her, Rowan reaching her first. He skidded to a halt and first checked her pulse. A growing pool of blood stretched slowly out from beneath the young Auror's body.

"She's alive, but badly hurt. Anubis hit her hard, but she insisted she was okay."

"Will she be all right?" Perri asked. "Will she recover?"

Rowan shook his head. "It's too soon to tell. We need to get her on a bed where we can treat her."

"Of course!" she said. "I'll go back to base camp and fetch help!"

"Excuse me." Thaddeus looked at each of them in turn. "What about the other wizards? They won't be bound and unconscious forever."

With a dismissive wave of her arm, she stepped into a clear space to Disapparate from. "They were under the Imperius Curse. They shouldn't be a problem anymore. But tie up Mr. Hamm, he's as bad as Anubis."

"Gifford?" Albion gasped. "He's alive?"

She nodded. "He's not the wizard you thought he was. He has a lot of ambition. I'm afraid he joined Anubis's bid for domination on his own and needs to be taken into custody. He's the one over there with the raven head."

"Perri, you must hurry!" said Rowan urgently.

"Right! I'll be back," and she was engulfed once more in uncomfortable darkness.

***

Once at base camp, Perri first retrieved her handbag and put the medical tent, her tent, and their store of potions into it. She told Taahir that the city was secure and they should move everything to Nekhneten. At last, she Disapparated, leaving the man standing confused by the fire.

Eudo had started a bonfire when Perri arrived, while Rowan and Thaddeus struggled to stop the flow of blood from several gashes in Arati's sides and stomach. They bound the wounds with torn strips of cloth, which had slowed or stopped most of the bleeding. Arati looked pale.

"Some of her wounds were from arrows and spears," Rowan said as he worked. "In that, we're lucky, as those wounds are easier to heal. She was hit by spells, as well, but it seems they were of the type that causes traditional wounds. Anubis hit me with two of those, though they were glancing blows."

Perri pulled out the collection of potions and medicinal items from her handbag and gave them to Rowan. After a brief search, she found a nice spot for the medical tarp in the shade of a nearby building. They moved Arati to one as soon as they could.

Rowan and Eudo worked hard on her for over an hour while Thaddeus, Albion, and Perri rounded up the wizards and Muggles that had once been servants of the fake god. They were all glad to be rid of the Dark wizard's influence and quickly pledged to help them.

"Now, for a change of attire," Perri said.

"What a shame," said Thaddeus, who was loitering nearby. "I was just getting used to your new look."

Perri flashed him an expression of mock-warning. "Then I most certainly must change!" With that, she erected her tent and disappeared inside it.

One by one, the wizards returned to camp to pack up their tents. In this way, they were all set up by the bonfire by the time the workers arrived in Nekhneten.

Arati's injuries were severe, but Rowan had gotten to her in time. The Auror was skilled in healing magic and mended the worst of her wounds. But she would wear scars from the battle for the rest of her life. After two hours of work on her, Rowan and Eudo left her to sleep.

The team worked to set up camp while Albion and Perri went to visit Rafal al-Moussa. The man was gazing in wonder at the structures that rose up around them.

"They are magnificent," he remarked as the two joined him. "The workmanship is amazing. How could they know so much of Ancient Egyptian architecture?"

"They were being controlled by an Ancient Egyptian wizard," said the doctor, and he and Perri told him the story of the false god and the plan he had for the world.

"We also found your people," said Albion. "Anubis had placed them under the Imperius Curse and used them to rebuild the city. They're okay."

"I would like to see them."

"Of course, but we need to discuss something first."

The prisoner frowned but remained silent as he studied Albion's face, as though to read the archaeologist's intentions.

"Egyptian artifacts belong in Egypt, I've always believed that. But magical artifacts should be stored in a secure location with representatives from both the Ministry of Magic and the Egyptian Wizarding community in charge of their protection. I plan to fight for that goal at the Ministry. Yet I won't be successful if the Disciples of Horus keep causing us trouble. If your group shows they are willing to work with us, we might be able to make an arrangement that's good for both of us."

"The British care not for my people. They take what they want, with no regard for us."

Albion sighed. "The Ministry of Magic doesn't think like the British Muggles. We are here only to help keep the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy secure during your difficult political situation. My superiors will be willing to consider my suggestion, as long as your people show their willingness to work together."

Rafal considered the doctor's words for a moment. "How can I trust you? What proof can I bring to my people that you mean what you say."

The archaeologist nodded. "Of course. Come with me." He waved his wand, removing the binds on their wrists and led them to the ruins of the palace.

Eudo and Thaddeus had been busy clearing a path in the rubble leading to the throne.

"This," Albion said. "Is an artifact of great magical power. When linked to a scepter—a very specific scepter—it can make the wizard invulnerable and channel more magic to it."

The two Disciples of Horus gazed at it in wonder. Rafal's partner said "I can feel it. It radiates magic."

Albion continued. "We're taking the scepter. We'll bring it to the Ministry for safe keeping. The throne is yours."

Rafal's eyes widened, and he told his companion what the doctor said.

"Wait!" It was Thaddeus. He had heard Albion's offer and came running. "You can't do that. We're under strict orders to bring back any artifacts we deem dangerous. This object is dangerous!"

"You told me it's useless without the scepter," said Albion. "Is that still your assessment?"

Thaddeus frowned, seeing where the argument was going. "The throne has immense power. It must be studied."

"Is it or is it not inert without the scepter?"

The blond artificer glared at Albion, not wanting to reply. "Yes. It's harmless, but we must—"

"We must mend fences, Mr. Quint. You don't understand how things are in Egypt, so you are in no position to make these decisions. There will never be peace here if we don't start working together. In time, we will study the throne. Rafal and I will work to open communications with the Disciples of Horus. Hopefully, we will all be able to work on it and learn its secrets."

He turned to the two prisoners. "Mr. al-Moussa, you two are free to go. Make arrangements to remove the throne. Our people here can assist you if you need it. The rest of your people are over there." He pointed to the group of wizards who had been under Anubis's Imperius Curse. They still wore their Ancient Egyptian clothing.

Rafal turned to address Perri as his partner went to their people.

"I hope my actions today and in the near future will help you believe how much I love my people. We are proud and do not appreciate foreigners dictating laws to us. But you are right. The winds have brought us change, and we must learn to adapt or else perish in the storm."

A warm smile lit her face. "I am certain you will, Mr. al-Moussa. And I look forward to hearing of strengthened relations between our people. The Wizarding world is small enough without us bickering."

The Egyptian bowed and went to see to his people.

"Your suitor is out of his bloody mind," Thaddeus said to Perri when they were left alone at the artifact.

"You don't believe the Disciples will work with the Ministry?"

"No, but it doesn't matter. We must take it back with us. Something that powerful must be studied."

"It will, I'm sure. You heard them."

Thaddeus shook his head vigorously. "You don't understand. They won't learn anything from the throne without the scepter. And we won't learn anything at all without that throne. We need both pieces in the same place."

"In the Department of Mysteries," Perri finished for him.

"Of course!"

"Then I believe Dr. Vance has done the Wizarding world a favor. The pair should never be reunited, of that I'm certain. The power of that artifact is too much for any wizard to handle. If we unite them, even in such a secure place as the Department of Mysteries, it will one day corrupt someone. I don't relish having to fight another Anubis."

He considered Perri for a moment. When he spoke, his tone was softer, his disappointment clear in his words. "I wish we were of the same mind on this. The conversations we could have over lunch..."

Perri smiled. "We can still have those conversations, Thaddeus. We don't need to agree on everything to be friends."

"So that's what we are, then?"

"For the present, Mr. Quint. For the present."    

***

"So, Gifford, how long had you been planning to betray me?" Albion sat in the small house that functioned as a cell for Mr. Hamm. Spells had been placed to keep the wizard from escaping, and his wand had been taken.

Perri sat beside Albion. Since the traitor spent most of his time following her, she had some specific questions for him. They transfigured his head back to normal, which was a relief. She had no desire to see him in that monstrous form again.

"It was you who betrayed me, if you recall," the prisoner replied. His tone was calm, rehearsed, insincere. He knew how to manipulate his old friend.

"I thought you were dead," Albion said.

"You left me alone in the desert to die. Imagine my surprise when I awoke to find hyenas feasting on me."

"Well, I say!" Albion stammered, taken off-guard by Hamm's accusatory story. "I did what I could for you, but as I thought you were dead, I—"

"Mr. Hamm," Perri cut in, in no way fooled by the prisoner's attempt at redirection. "You chose to follow the Dark wizard who called himself Anubis—Don't try to argue with me! He was no god and you know it! So, how did he convince you to betray your friend and your own ethics—or did you not have any, after all?"

The erstwhile assistant considered Perri for a moment, his eyes narrowed. But he remained calm and confident. At last, he smiled, and it was the smile of a hustler.

"My esteemed Miss Atwood, you never cease to amaze me. Even when offered godhood, you stick to your conviction and refuse every opportunity to save yourself. And yet, against all odds, you survive to speak to me so."

Rowan entered the small, single-room building. He looked from face to face, clearly perturbed.

"I should have been told you were going to interrogate the prisoner. This is a job for an Auror, Dr. Vance."

"My apologies, Mr. Ilver," Albion said, imitating the Auror's use of formalities. "Please, take a seat. We have only just begun."

With a curt nod, Rowan summoned a wooden chair with a wave of his wand and sat on Albion's other side.

"Now, where were we?" asked the Auror.

"Mr. Hamm was about to explain to us how the Dark wizard convinced him to become a traitor and a killer," said Perri. "Please continue, Mr. Hamm."

The prisoner eyed Rowan and cleared his throat, before turning his attention back to her. "Yes, he wasn't a god. But he saved me from the hyenas and healed my injuries. I saw him not as the monster you assumed he was, but as the fair and just leader he proved himself to be."

"Fair and just," she said. "Was it fair and just to force those men to serve him using the Imperius Curse?"

Hamm ignored her question and turned to his former friend and colleague. "You and I, we are archaeologists. The past is our job, our passion. But our normal methods are incomplete. There is no way to tell, from digging, what life was truly like in the days of the pharaohs. Yet Anubis lived in Menkare's time. He knew and was willing—even motivated—to restore Nekhneten to its original glory. And he would have populated it with people who would live as their ancestors did."

"People forced to live that way," Perri interjected.

Hamm cast her a disgusted look, then continued to plead his case to his old friend. "Albion, I would have learned so much. A few transgressions are worth the knowledge of the Ancients!"

"A few transgressions? You killed those men, back in Cairo! Skinned them alive and hung them as a warning to others. Anubis's evil was out of control—"

"Anubis had nothing to do with that, you meddling little harlot!" Hamm spat at her.

"So, it was you," the doctor said. "All you. Why?"

The traitor looked from Albion to Perri and back again, as though desperately looking for a way of escape.

"You might as well tell them." Rowan held up a small vial. "This is Veritaserum, so you'll tell your story one way or another."

The prisoner glared at the Auror. Once again he leveled Perri with a gaze full of hatred.

"It's all because of you," he spat at her. "When he saw you, he was so taken. He made me follow you, and he talked of giving you the high position—giving you the power. I killed those men so the Disciples of Horus would blame you and seek revenge."

"Well, that sounds like a good confession," said Rowan. "Do either of you have any more questions for the prisoner?"

Perri shrugged. "Oh no, I'm quite satisfied."

Before any of them realized, the traitor launched himself at Perri, his hands squeezing vice-like on her neck. Her chair toppled backward and she fell to the ground, the Animagus on top of her.

The man was too strong for her, so she did the only thing she could think of. With both of her hands, she plunged her thumbs into the man's eyes and pushed.

Hamm screamed in agony but continued to crush her neck.

She couldn't breathe. Her lips parted and mouthed pleas for help, but nothing came out. Blood dripped down her hands and wrists from his eyes, but the murderer still squeezed her neck.

With a blinding flash of red light, the wizard was thrown from her. Perri gasped, gulping huge draughts of air into her lungs as she choked on her injured throat.

Albion was on his knees beside her.

"Are you all right?" he said.

Perri could not reply but instead nodded her head. Air returned to her lungs. Her throat, although sending shock waves of pain with every breath, still worked. Nothing was broken or damaged. She would be okay.

Albion helped her to her feet and she muttered a choked thank you.

Rowan grabbed his prisoner roughly and threw him into a corner.

"You had best leave," he said turning back to Hamm. "This won't be pleasant."

The two left the small house and Perri suspected the Auror was about to make the wizard regret his actions. It was a clear violation of Ministry regulation, but at that moment, she did not mind.

____________________

Author's Note

Gifford Hamm was a challenge for me. I had built him up with a great and detailed backstory but ultimately realized his story shouldn't be told in full in this novel. So, I had to portray him in a way that painted him as a traitor but with hints of something more. I hope I pulled that off. I'm not done with him and hope to see him in sequels, but only time--and votes on this book--will tell.

The next chapter is "The Temple of Anubis," and I want to keep this one a bit of a mystery. But I will tell you that Albion, Thaddeus, and even the enigmatic Rafal al-Moussa will play strong roles here. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.1K 181 11
What would happen if you feel into your fav. book? Well here's your chance to find out in Harry Potter(no I do not own it, I only claim my characters...
15.1K 1K 48
Find is the story of a certain son of Hades, dragged out of his almost perfect life to attend a crazy magic school in Britain. Nico was finally livin...
14.2K 441 42
Voldemort is dead, and the wizarding world must now try and put itself back together again. Jennifer Potter is grieving, along with most of the popul...
2.6K 320 44
| A Wizarding World Fan Fiction| ⚡ Harry Potter Timeline -: ✧ :-゜・. 𝐀𝐝𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭 - 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥 𝐎𝐟 𝐀 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐨𝐧 / 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧�...