Chapter Thirteen - A Closer Look

Rowan was the first Auror to return. Landing gently in the center of camp, he gratefully accepted a cup of tea and joined the others at the fire. He sat very close to the blaze and spent a few minutes warming himself.

"You think it's cold down here." He gulped the hot liquid to coax its warmth to spread through his body as quickly as possible. "Try flying around up there!"

Finally, he leaned back from the bonfire.

"I saw thirty men. All Egyptian, and wearing ancient styles of clothing. Ten men patrol the wall armed with spears and bows. Two more guards had wands—they were in charge. The remaining wizards were using magic to rebuild the city. I saw no one in command of the men. No great leader. The palace was in perfect shape. It appears to be the first thing the wizards rebuilt. Some men—Muggles, I think—are painting it."

"Painting?" said Albion.

"The palace has pictures carved or etched into it. They're coloring them in."

"Rowan," Perri said tentatively, as though reluctant to speak. The dread that crept through her threatened panic. Once more, she needed someone to allay her fears of the terrible place. "Did the men look... modern to you? Like modern Egyptians that are merely dressed up as ancient ones?"

The Auror considered her for a moment. "They were all living and breathing. That implies they are not mummies."

Perri grimaced but was not prepared to give up. "Yes, but did they have anything about them that would make you think they came from a modern city?"

The brawny man shrugged. "The wands looked like current styles."

So, the men in Nekhneten came from her time, yet the dreams were like scenes from the past.

"Perri, you said Egyptian wizards use scepters, right?" Eudo announced it as though it had just come to mind. "But I haven't seen a single scepter."

"The wealthiest wizards in Egypt do." Albion cut in, coming to her rescue. "But because they're bigger and more cumbersome, they usually still have wands for everyday use. The Ancient Egyptian wizards, however, used them often. At least, they didn't use wands as we have them now."

"So, that would be the only anachronism in their charade?" Rowan said.

"It would appear so."

They waited a long time for Arati. Two hours had gone by and still, she hadn't reappeared. Rowan and the others began to worry. Albion and Perri went to the crag and scanned the landscape for her, but found nothing in the darkness. The city itself was lighted by torches on tall poles, like streetlights. Rowan paced nervously, muttering to himself about going in search of his partner.

Crack!

Arati stood suddenly in the middle of camp. She fell to the ground as soon as she appeared, and the others ran to her.

"I'm fine!" She was sweating and winded and had a nasty gash down her left arm. Rowan pushed everyone away from her and pointed his wand at her injury. There was a glow of blue light and the terrible cut sealed up.

Rowan lifted her and carried her to the fire. There, they gave her food and drink, and helped her recover. Eventually, she was able to talk and a light went into her eye and she sat up straight.

"I've learned some things." She paused for dramatic effect.

"As planned, I Apparated from cover to cover until I came near the wall. I wanted to get up there, but I knew better than to risk the curse."