𝘊𝘙𝘐𝘔𝘚𝘖𝘕 ° 𝘑𝘈𝘚𝘗𝘌...

By INTRVGALACTIC

❝ 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦 𝗜𝗦 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗔 𝗙𝗔𝗜𝗥𝗬𝗧𝗔𝗟𝗘- 𝗜𝗠 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗔 𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗦𝗦 𝗪𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗧𝗢 𝗕𝗘 𝗥𝗘𝗦... More

DISCLAIMER + SUMMARY
BOOK ONE
01 | FORKS |
02 | NEW BLOOD |
03 | CURIOUS |
04 | EASY DECISION |
05 | ENIGMA |
06 | NOT MY TYPE |
07 | LA PUSH |
08 | CLOSER |
09 | BAD IDEA |
10 | THE WHOLE TRUTH |
11 | INTERROGATION |
12 | NOT THE FIRST TIME |
13 | NORMAL TEEN THINGS |
14 | THE MAJOR |
15 | PRECIOUS |
16 | FORMALITY |
17 | EYE OF THE STORM |
19 | PROMISE |
20 | COURAGE |
21 | SLEEPING BEAUTY |
BOOK TWO
22 | HONEY MOON |
23 | THE [BLOODY] POINT OF IT ALL |
24 | THE FINAL STRIKE |
25 | LOVE, RORY |
26 | NUMB |
27 | LIGHTNING STRIKES |
28 | SWEET MISERY |
29 | THE SUN AND MOON |
30 | HAPPY ENDING |
31 | REAPER OF VICTORY |
32 | DAWN OF THE DEAD |
33 | IRRESOLUTE |
34 | WHEN THE STORM HITS |
35 | LIAR LIAR |
36 | PRETENSES |
37 | ANGEL |
38 | PARTY MONSTER |
39 | SURRENDER |
40 | BRIAR ROSE |
41 | NORTHERN LIGHTS |
BOOK 3
42 | THE PRODIGAL SUN RETURNS |
43 | ALWAYS, JASPER |
44 | GRAVE EXPECTATIONS |
45 | RED WEDDING |
46 | RUNAWAYS |
47 | UNEXPECTED |
48 | LIFE SUCKS, THEN YOU DIE |
49 | WELCOME TO THE GOOD LIFE |
50 | EXPOSED |
51 | THREE'S COMPANY |
☆ CRIMSON CONTEST WINNERS ☆
52 | AWKWARD |
53 | LONG LIVE |
54 | CRIMSON |

18 | HOME RUN |

55.2K 1.8K 2K
By INTRVGALACTIC

ON SATURDAY MORNING, Rory was finishing up her last assignment for calculus when a rush of an unexpected breeze filled her room, lightly ruffling her hair. She didn't have to look up to see the blond vampire in her room. She didn't pay him any mind as she worked out the equation in front of her.

"How was your night?" she asked as soon as she set her pencil down.

They had spent it apart—Jasper desperately needed to hunt and Rory had some school work to finish.

While they were both well aware of each other's importance to each other, neither were the type to be attached at the hip. Their relationship was still relatively new and both had been used to being on their own. Once upon a time not too long ago, both had individually sworn to be content with being alone. Then they met.

"It went well enough." Jasper didn't give any further details of his hunting trip and Rory didn't pry. She looked up to see his eyes were a back to a bright, golden shade and the dark, purplish eye bags had faded. She happily smiled at the sight. His eyes scanned over her work, wordlessly fixing it to her gratitude. "And yours?"

"As soon as you finish going over that, I'll be caught up on everything," Rory sighed happily. "Only half a month of school left and we're all done." No more waking up at six am, she would have all the time in the world. She glanced at Jasper, wondering how that actually felt.

Jasper realized they had never spoken of any plans after graduation. He had initially planned to pay his old friends down south a visit while Edward and Alice finished up school and Emmett and Rose were traveling. Then Rory's abrupt arrival in his life changed everything.

"Do you have any plans for college?" Jasper rose one brow curiously. "It seems the topic has escaped us," he chuckled, moving to sit on the edge of the desk.

Rory shrugged. "I was gonna take a gap year, figure things out since I'm graduating early. I have plenty of time. And college is expensive."

"I could pay for whatever college you wanted to go," Jasper immediately offered. "I could even convince Harvard to take you in by next week, if you wanted, of course." His brow puckered arrogantly, fully confident in using his abilities to benefit Rory and get her in whatever school she wished. Jasper wanted to ensure she was well acquainted with the full human experience.

Rory pursed her lips. "Thanks for the offer, but I'm okay. If I was accepting donations, I'd use it to travel to Europe or somewhere far away. There's this art internship thing in Florence, so if you really want to be my sugar daddy..." she giggled at his expression.

Jasper frowned, "Florence, Italy?"

"Yeah?" Rory looked at him incredulously. "Did you think I meant the Florence in Kentucky?Hah. Italy is where it's at, babe."

He was quiet for a minute, his mind churning over a matter Rory had no idea of.

"What's wrong?" Rory rested her hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"It's nothing," His teeth flashed in a reassuring smile. "I'm just overthinking things."

"As per usual," Rory rolled her eyes, but her expression was understanding. She met his eyes seriously, "Hey, don't worry. I don't need to know everything. Just go with the flow, Jasper."

Jasper let out a small nod, looking at her with a peculiar expression in his golden eyes.

Rory eyed the perfection that was Jasper Hale sitting on the edge of her desk like some naughty school boy fantasy, complete with the slacks and white button down, his profile all sharp edges and soft eyes. "My mom's out of town for like the next week." Her fingers danced along the seam of his button-down shirt suggestively.

Jasper raised his brow. "I know. She's in California for that conference. Carlisle was going to go, but it'll be too sunny."

"Right. So...we can stay in bed this entire weekend," Rory said slowly, her eyes glittering with desire.

"You're insatiable, darlin', but unfortunately not today," Jasper looked at her amusedly as she slightly pouted, "I'm being harassed by certain members of my family to spend time with them," he rolled his eyes, "as if I haven't spent the last five or six decades with them. We're playing baseball today if you'd like to come."

"That sounds like fun," Rory raised her brow. "I'm in. But one question..." Her nose scrunched up in confusion. "Since when do vampires like baseball?"

Jasper's lips curved upwards. "It's the American pastime. Plus, there's a thunderstorm coming. It's the only time we can play."

Rory smiled curiously. "Sounds interesting. Care to explain?"

"You'll see why," he smirked mysteriously.

"Alright. As long as I don't die or something."

"So your genius plan was to make me watch in the sidelines while everyone plays?"

Rory lightly scowled at Jasper as he rummaged through his closet. She sat on the black leather couch with her arms crossed. He glanced back at her apologetically. "It's not your average game of baseball, Rory."

"I used to play softball, you know," Rory sniffed whilst savoring the delightful sight of his toned and muscular torso as Jasper exchanged his typical button down for a black and white baseball tee that hugged his muscles and framed his torso perfectly.

God bless Alice Cullen for having fashion sense.

"With other humans," he pointed out with a raised brow. "We're stronger and faster." Instantly, Rory found herself suddenly in his lap, his hands on her waist and his dimple emphasizing mischief.

Show off.

"I know," she rolled her eyes, placing her hands on his broad shoulders, "But if Bella's playing and she trips over her own feet, then I can handle myself—I can pitch with Alice."

Jasper hummed thoughtfully and leaned in to kiss her forehead. "That might be doable."

"Might be? Oh, it's happening," Rory retorted.

"Oh?" He raised one brow cooly, his expression playful and sending a wave of heat through her body.

She entangled her hands in his waves, bringing his face to hers. "Yes." A devious smirk formed on his face as he began to lean in, Rory's eyes fluttering shut in delight—

"Hah!" Jasper and Rory shot their head to his open door where Emmett leaned against smugly. "I knew you two hooligans couldn't be trusted without a chaperone."

"I'm a seventy-one years older than you, Emmett," Jasper stated dryly as Rory snickered.

Emmett grinned. "Even more reason to keep an eye on you and your cradle-robbing hands, vampa." He winked at Rory. "Don't worry, little princess. I'll keep him in check."

"I think I can handle the Major," Rory said coyly, watching as Jasper inhaled sharply, his eyes darkening in hunger, but not the kind she was afraid of.

"Are you sure?" Jasper asked huskily as they both ignored Emmett completely. His long fingers traced down her spine, causing shivers that made her smile. 

Emmett grimaced in disgust at the discomforting display. "Never mind. You two are disgusting." He turned around and disappeared into the hall calling out, "Rose!"

Jasper pulled her into a deep kiss, his large hand holding her hipbone. Rory broke away from Jasper with a laugh. He looked at her amusedly.

"Uh uh, Major," Rory shook her head, standing from the couch. "We don't have time for that. The storms coming."

The entire Cullen clan gathered in an enormous field somewhere between the Olympic peaks that neared Forks. The rough diamond shape marked by basic slates and run-down paths served as the baseball field.

The teams seemed to be divided into blondes versus brunettes, with Rosalie, Carlisle, and Jasper up to bat and Emmett and Edward on the outfield with Alice and Rory on the pitchers mound. Esme and Bella were to play catcher and umpire, the relatively safer positions.

Rory watched with glee as the Cullens surreptitiously glanced in the direction of the tree line where just minutes before, the rumble of an engine had stopped with a growl where Rory guessed was the end of the makeshift road through the woods. A familiar pair emerged from the jeep parked half a mile away from the makeshift baseball field.

Rory looked to her side where Jasper had been playfully practicing his different swings with his bat. Their eyes communicated for them, not needing to speak to understand each other. He grinned at Rory and gestured for her to go ahead. Rory cupped his jaw understandably, knowing he was still uncomfortable with being so close to other humans besides her.

"Good luck, babe," she pressed a kiss to his dimpled marble cheek and jogged after Esme and Emmett who had headed over to the arriving couple. She cast a flirty look back at Jasper, which he winked in response to, before joining those greeting Bella and Edward.

"Bella!" Rory laughed and threw her arms around the brunette as soon as she neared. She pulled back to glance at the bronze-haired vampire standing next to then, "Hey, Eddie."

"Rory," Edward greeted simply.

Esme smiled at the two girls she easily viewed as her new daughters. She took to Bella's free side, wrapping her arm around her back and leading both girls closer, "Good thing you're here. Rory's claimed pitch with Alice so we need an umpire to make it fair."

Emmett grinned crookedly. "She thinks we cheat."

Esme turned to narrow her gaze accusatorially at her son. "I know you cheat."

Rory left the two women at the base as Alice beckoned her over. She stood next to Alice, facing the base where Rosalie had taken position. She cast a look over to Bella, where the brunette was clearly nervous. "Call 'em as you see 'em, Bella!" she shouted encouragingly.

Alice then looked up at the darkening sky where clouds swirled and the air was distinguishably heavy. "It's time," Alice declared just as a deep rumble of thunder rolled though the mountains.

Alice pitched the first ball with lightning-fast speed that had Rory widening her eyes in amazement. Rory looked across the field where Jasper already had his eyes on her, twinkling with mirth at her astonished expression.

Rosalie swung fast and hard, the ball and bat smashed with such force Rory was surprised it didn't break. It cracked loud like thunder, directly followed by real boom of thunder.

Bella gaped at the sound. "Now I get why you need the thunder."

"No shit," Rory exclaimed. "Alice, you can take the next one." She blinked, knowing she's basically useless in this game played with vampires. She'd pitch for Jasper, knowing he wouldn't mind her relatively slow throw.

The ball shot deep into the forest like a meteor, rocketing through the trees. Edward disappeared after it as Rosalie became a blur, zooming around each of the bases. It's hard to keep up with, with everyone moving so fast but Rory caught a glimpse of Edward appearing again out of the forest with the ball, winding his arm back and whipping it to home plate, straight for Bella and Esme.

Miraculously and thankfully, Esme managed to catch it with ease a millisecond before Rosalie slid into the home plate. Bella jut her thumb behind her, "You're out."

Rory could taste the tension in the air as Rosalie glared, getting up and brushing he dirt off her pants to join Jasper and Carlisle, the latter patted the vampire's shoulder comfortingly as she passed. "Nice kitty."

Carlisle was next, the same actions repeated like Rosalie's turn except Carlisle's ball shot out to a distance between Edward and Emmett's positions. The two boys raced for the catch, leaping 15 feet in the air, but both failed to secure the ball, instead colliding like boulders in the air with a thunderous crash. Rory looked back to see that Carlisle had made it to the home plate triumphantly.

Rory met Jasper's gaze from across the field playfully. He fiddled with the bat, throwing it up and catching it in a very attractive motion that darkened both their gazes. He winked at her and she flushed furiously, her lips pressed tight together.

"Your turn," Alice giggled as she handed Rory the next ball. The next play began with Rory and Jasper narrowing their eyes competitively at each other.

Without hesitation, Rory pitched the ball straight for her boyfriend's smug expression, as fast and as accurate as possible for a human. Jasper smirked and swung the bat hard, a blur of a movement that Rory missed, only realizing he had struck the ball when the loud crash boomed across the field and the ball is hurtled past her and deep into the trees. The others prepared to chase after the ball as Jasper began to break for a home run.

From beside her, Alice suddenly gasped, her hand snapped to Rory's wrist as her eyes glazed over. "Stop! I didn't see them..."

In seconds, the everyone instantly gathered at the pitcher mound around Alice protectively as her vision played out. Edward stood beside Bella protectively as he read Alice's thoughts, his eyes wild and panicked.

"The nomads," Edward exhaled, looking towards the tree line where Jasper's ball had disappeared.

Jasper immediately stood in front of Rory, facing the perceived danger with a cloudy expression on his face. Rory stepped as close as she could, her hand wrapped around his steel bicep.

Alice frowned, her voice frantic, "They're traveling so quickly."

"You said they left the county—" Rosalie questioned, her tone held clear concern that surprised Rory and Bella.

"They did, but then they heard us..." Alice glanced at the human girls worriedly. "And changed their minds."

Jasper froze, everyone's emotions had overwhelmed his senses, but all he could think about was Rory.

Rory grasped his hand tightly, bringing his attention to her. "Look at me," she whispered soothingly. "It'll be okay, Jasper." Her thumb rubbed circles on the back of his hand. 

"I won't let them harm you," Jasper promised derisively. Rory remembered his past, how he had spent decades in constant battle and turmoil. She didn't want him to lose himself again.

"Get them off the field!" Esme commanded, her usually soft expression taut with worry.

"It's too late," Carlisle shook his head, already hearing the quick approaching nomads.

"Put your hair down," Edward muttered to Bella.

Rosalie sneered at the couple. "Like that'll help. I could smell her from across the field."

Emmett frowned, glancing at the two humans about to meet face to face with unknown vampires. "What about Rory?"

"She smells like Jasper, keep her close to you," Alice advised, darting her gaze between the couples. Bella was apparently the main concern, her blood and scent was unusually powerful for a human.

She didn't want to think about what Alice insinuated about what she smelled of, the thought too embarrassing to process, preferring to attribute her masked scent due to the fact she had decided to wear Jasper's leather jacket and one of his baseball hats instead of any other reason.

She didn't have a chance to be mortified though as the vampires around her—and in front of her—shot their heads up to the tree line, their disposition cautious and tense.

Three distinct figures emerged gracefully from the forest. They moved quickly, almost gliding across the field. As they approached, they also slowed enough for Rory to get a good look. Leading the trio was an ashen, but still dark skinned vampire in a light tan leather jacket, next to him a vicious but beautiful redhead wearing a dirty fur shrug, and then a average looking vampire with hair tied back in a ponytail, an oddly familiar worn jacket on his shoulders. They were all bare foot with deep, almost burgundy crimson eyes.

Please don't notice me. Please don't notice me, Rory repeated internally like some sort of mantra. She scooted behind Jasper's rigged back even further, almost completely hidden and peeking over his shoulder like some sort of child. His hand intertwined with hers comforted the both of them.

The leader held up his hand, grasping Jasper's ball with a creepy smile on his face. "I believe this belongs to you. I'm Laurent." He smiled and gestured to his companions. "This is Victoria and James."

He tossed the ball to Carlisle with a blindingly fast shot, he caught it with ease and stiffly smiled at the trio politely.

"Thank you." The blond doctor exhaled sharply, he looked to both of his sides where the rest of his family guarded Rory and Bella. "I'm Carlisle...This is my family."

"Hello," Laurent greeted, his sharp teeth glinting as his red gaze swooped over the family.

Carlisle pursed his lips, intending to stop the nomads from taking any second looks. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies," Laurent bowed his head shortly, "We didn't realize the territory
had been claimed."

"Yes, well..." Carlisle was discomforted by the way Laurent's companions were eyeing his family, particularly Edward and Jasper due to their tensed, protective stances. "We maintain a permanent residence nearby."

Laurent raised a brow. "Really? Well, we won't be a problem anymore. We were just passing through."

Victoria grinned smugly, meeting Carlisle's gaze. "The humans were tracking us, but we lead them east. You should be safe."

Carlisle nodded seemingly content. "Excellent."

A tense moment passed with Rory holding her breath. Then Laurent smiled. "So...could you use three more players?"

All of the Cullens looked to Carlisle.

Laurent shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, come on. Just one game..." His companions look at them guarded but eager to join in on the game.

Carlisle exhaled, thinking the threat had almost passed. "Sure, why not?" His mouth curved upwards. "A few of us were just leaving... You can take their place."

No one said anything, but Rory's eyes darted to Carlisle questionably.

"You can go first," Carlisle added, tossing the ball back to them.

The wild redhead caught it in a swift movement. "I'm the one with the wicked curveball," Victoria smirked.

"I think we can handle that," Emmett chortled and they all laughed sparingly, still wary and cautious.

Somehow, because of course, just as they all thought they could make a quick escape, a strong wind breezed past carrying the scent of fresh rain and danger. Jasper immediately and strategically pulled Rory into his chest, blocking her from the breeze, as quick as lightning. Unfortunately, Bella was left out in the open as Edward reached out for her, too late. Her scent met James first, as the other two nomads had turned around to head to the outfield.

James crouched forward, his red eyes flashing obsidian black with thirst. "You brought a snack."

Edward immediately leaped in front of Bella, his teeth bared as a menacing snarl ripped from his throat. James growled back, his black eyes narrowed, crouching forward, ready to attack.

The family baseball game turned into a deadly supernatural fight.

In a flash, the Cullens rushed into formation behind Edward defensively, Jasper carrying Rory to the back of the group where it was the safest, his eyes wild and terrifying and ready to obliterate the danger. Laurent and Victoria lined up behind James with sharp hisses and snarls like sharps sensing a drop of blood in the water.

"A human?" Laurent gasped. Still, in the chaos, they hadn't noticed Rory which she felt both relieved and guilty of, forcing Bella to be the victim. She didn't know how it wasn't obvious, Rory was the tannest person on the field—Bella could've passed for a vampire by her albino like pale skin yet the nomads focused on her. Rory kept her gaze trained on the dirt, knowing the moment the nomads noticed her human hazel eyes, her semblance of invisibility was over and the tension would only worsen.

For a moment, it seemed a fight was seconds from occurring and Rory was very concerned that her puzzling invisibility would wear off very, very quickly. She reached out to grab Bella's hand, the two humans understanding they were the weak, defenseless prey in the middle of this game of predators.

"The girl is with us," Carlisle declared warningly.

Rory felt a sharp gaze on her and she reflexively glanced upward briefly to meet the curious yet impressed scarlet gaze of the scarlet haired vampire. Shit. She knew.

Jasper's grasp on Rory's hand tightened the slightest as her breath hitched. He had his stoic golden eyes trained on the threat, ready to catch any small movement that signified an attack.

Laurent raised his hands innocently in attempt to diffuse the worsening situation. "We won't harm her."

Carlisle's expression flattened, leaving no room for false friendliness. "I think it best if you leave."

Laurent backed away, taking in the large coven that outnumbered him significantly. "Yes, I can see the game is over. We'll go now."

Edward and James' gazes stay locked onto each other threateningly.

"James?"

Laurent clasped a hand on James' shoulder, and finally, James retreated into the woods with his arm around Victoria's shoulder. The trio disappeared as fast as they had appeared, but not without James glancing back one last time, his eyes trained on Bella and Edward.

The game was definitely not over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

405K 11.4K 55
𝑾𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒊𝒎𝒑𝒍𝒚 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝒂𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈? 𝑨𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒚𝒔, 𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒌𝒔, 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒔𝒆...
950K 35.3K 60
" 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗺𝗲 𝗵𝗼𝗽𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗶𝘃𝗲. " " 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗸 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗳𝗼𝗿...
30.4K 899 18
[ O N H O L D ] ❝ 𝐯𝐚𝗺𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐬? 𝐰𝗼𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬? 𝐡𝗼𝐰 𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝗼𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝗼𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞! 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐤 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐢�...
36.6K 935 24
❝𝙔𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙩 𝙦𝙪𝙞𝙘𝙠𝙚𝙣𝙚𝙙.❞ 𝙃𝙚 𝙢𝙪𝙧𝙢𝙪𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙨𝙤𝙛𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙖𝙨 𝙝𝙚 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙞𝙡𝙚𝙙 𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙖𝙡𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙢𝙮 𝙣𝙚𝙘�...